Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/101-solasta-streaming-lets-play-policy

SOLASTA - STREAMING / LET'S PLAY POLICY

Hello there folks!

This article is for content creators who might be wondering about our stance when it comes to streaming / monetizing videos about Solasta. In order to avoid having to answer individually every time, here is where we stand on this topic:

You are, of course, more than welcome to stream or create Let's Play type of videos of Solasta: Crown of the Magister - and to monetize them if you want. You're also welcome to use our music as part of such content.

In legalese: Tactical Adventures Games permits you to create free or ad-supported videos (including Let's Plays, speed runs, reviews, commentary, and so on) using captured or streamed video from Tactical Adventures' video games. You do not need to request written permission to create such content.

Additional written permission from Tactical Adventures is required for any use of our art, music, and audio content outside of captured in-game footage - please e-mail contact@tactical-adventures.com with any such requests.

Credits: Should you decide to post videos containing Tactical Adventures content, we request that you provide a functional link to the product page for the version of the game used in the making of said content. For instance:https://www.solasta-game.com/news/101-solasta-streaming-lets-play-policy
Music: You are free to use our music as part of live streams about our games, or videos about our games. You may also use it as background music for unmonetized videos such as role-playing sessions or streams, provided you give proper credit in the video description. If you wish to use it for other reasons that are not covered by this policy, we request that you contact us.

Please note we reserve the right to update this policy without notice or liability. If you have further questions about this policy, please contact contact@tactical-adventures.com

And with that said... A big thank you to every content creators out there! It always warms our heart to see videos about our games.

Cheers,

Myzzrym

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This looks a lot better than bg3,a fuck ton better.
That UI is still an eyesore and looks out of place, but it does seem promising.

Immersive UI seems almost like a lost art. Not sure we keep getting the sleek smart-phone UI in everything...
7132e802299d303459bf666a4e283aa8.jpg

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Couldn't he had just talked about the features without comparing? Slightly annoying.
While he namedrops BG3 way too much, I personally like comparative reviews, to a point I think there isn't really enough of those. Sure it's mostly useful if you know the relative titles, but it's a good way to pinpoint exact differences.

That said, the demo was pretty fun even if cinematic dialogues felt forced and pointless, so given it's released in 5h I'm getting it. Oh, and fuck the UI. I don't care about the looks as long as it works.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, IGN got the launch trailer yesterday:

https://www.ign.com/articles/9-thin...ta-crown-of-the-magisters-early-access-launch

9 Things to Expect in Solasta: Crown of the Magister's Early Access Launch
Here's what you'll encounter in the lofty RPG's early access release.

The Dungeons & Dragons nerds at the IGN office have been looking forward to Solasta: Crown of the Magister since we first saw it at Gamescom in 2019, and after a few demos, it's finally entering Early Access on October 20th. We got to see a wide variety of what early access has in store for us during a developer-lead sneak peek and learned a few interesting facts about the upcoming build.

Solasta is a tactical RPG based on the Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition ruleset (licensed SRD 5.1). It has highly customizable parties and a turn-based battle system that will be incredibly familiar to D&D players, but can also be compared to games like Divinity: Original Sin 2.

We've already covered how Solasta is similar to Dungeons and Dragons, but here are nine specific things to expect when Solasta: Crown of the Magister arrives in Early Access.

What Early Access Will Get You
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is $35 USD in Early Access which is less than the final price of the full version. And purchasing during Early Access will automatically unlock the full version once it releases sometime in Spring 2021.

Tactical Adventures’ goal is to release the final version around six months after Early Access, so it has enough time to improve the game based on player feedback. But keep in mind, Early Access progress will not carry over to the full version of the game.

How Long is Solasta: Crown of the Magister Early Access?
Creative director and Tactical Adventures founder Mathieu Girard explained the length of Solasta will vary greatly based on an individual player's play style. He did, however, promise there’d be at least 10 hours of gameplay.

"It's hard to say because some people are going to spend three hours on the same battle just choosing the best tactic and action to use," Girard explained.

He's certainly right about that. My D&D party sometimes spends more time strategizing than actually fighting, and though this may take more time, it also makes the combat that much more efficient. And personally, I can see myself making characters for at least three hours.

Create Your Own Party of Characters
Solasta is a single-player experience, but you will be responsible for creating and controlling four different characters. You won't be recruiting additional NPCs to your party as you progress, rather, your created party members will be with you and grow from start to finish. But what you choose is up to you. You can adventure with four halfling Rogues if you like, but you will benefit from a balanced team with not only different combat skills, but different abilities, languages, and more, since each class brings something special to a party.

For example, during my demo one of the characters was an Insight Domain Cleric – a custom subclass Tactical Adventures made for Solasta. – which allowed all Insight checks were automatically passed, making negotiations with NPCs much easier.

For each character’s stats, you can roll for them, use a point-buy system, or even customize them completely to your liking. With that much freedom, adapting your pre-existing pen-and-paper characters to Solasta should be that much easier. Or, you can create a bunch of super-powered heroes, whatever you want.

Because Solasta can only use the base SRD, don't expect the same subclasses and archetypes you’re used to from D&D. Instead, there are custom subclasses like the aforementioned Insight Domain Cleric created specifically for the Solasta setting.

There’s An Emphasis on Lighting
Lighting, and the lack thereof, has a strong effect on gameplay in Solasta. Characters that can't see in the dark will attack with lower accuracy without a light source. Some enemies are hurt and shy away from light, while others will be drawn to it and make it easier for your party to be found by malicious entities.

Torches can be used, and objects in the world can be lit with spells, but you can also use spells to light your own equipment like swords or shields. You'll need to learn the ins and outs of the lighting mechanic to make the most of your abilities in Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

And also… Verticality
The entirety of Solasta’s environments are built with Minecraft-like blocks to create intricate layers of verticality, and then covered with beautiful textures and lighting. You can use these layouts to your advantage to avoid enemies, but enemies can easily do the same against you.

This verticality also means spells like Levitate and Fly are especially useful, as the team planned to place things high out of reach, like treasure and secret passages.

Near the end of the build I saw, one final enemy continued to attack from up high on the ledge. The player chose to sling long-range attacks at it, rather than spend the turns climbing up to reach it. These decision-making events seem to be commonplace in Solasta.

Tutorials for both Solasta and D&D Strategy
The opening of Solasta features the four characters you created in a Tavern telling stories to each other. These stories work as tutorials for different aspects of Solasta – like the aforementioned verticality and lighting – but also teach how to use readied actions, disengage, and more, to your advantage in combat.

On a standard turn, you'll be able to make an action, move with whatever movement speed you have, and interact with an object. Instead of using your action to attack in the moment, you can instead ready an action to trigger in response to an enemy. This can be used to trigger a melee attack against an enemy that is otherwise unreachable on your turn – like Flying Snakes hovering just out of reach – but you expect to approach during its turn.

You can also use your action to disengage, but that doesn’t mean you have no means of dealing damage. In the tutorial encounter I saw, the character disengaged in order to get away from an enemy without triggering its opportunity attack, but was still able to push a boulder off a ledge onto said enemy.

These tutorials seem to do a decent job at teaching players how to get creative with their turns, which is important if you want to find success in both the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset and Solasta's unique environmental mechanics.

Updates and Changes Based on Demo Feedback
Tactical Adventures has been hard at work taking feedback from the demos it has offered in the past. Of course, there have been a lot of bugs to fix, but they have also upgraded a few mechanics that players have complained about, like inventory management and weight capacity management. One of the biggest changes in Early Access compared to the demo is the camera. In Early Access, you can manipulate the camera fairly freely, both up close to your character and quite far away.

Another aspect players were frustrated by was not being able to tell why their attacks missed. Now, before attacking an enemy, if you are attacking at a disadvantage – which reduces your attack accuracy – a menu will tell you exactly why before you make the attack. In one example, a human was attacking with disadvantage because the enemy was in dim light, and humans do not have dark vision – explanations like this are designed to help you learn the system even while playing it.

Plenty of Archives
If you've ever played a meaty RPG, coming back after a long while away can be intimidating. Solasta solves this by including a diary system that keeps track of everything you've done in the game. Kind of like an automatic archivist. There is also a bestiary that unlocks more and more information on monsters the more that you fight them, and there's even a class that takes advantage of this.

Dice Rolls
Like Dungeons and Dragons, Solasta: Crown of the Magister boils down to the dice rolls. Every encounter, attack, ability attempt, enemy discovery, and more are calculated by a combination of dice rolls and stats, which are crunched in real-time. You can see these dice rolls on the bottom of the screen, but if seeing the dice roll doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can turn it off for a more traditional (and mysterious) video game experience.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Gonna wait for codex opinions on this one, it looks cool and demo was fun, but 4 party size is decline and 5e without multiclassing is total garbage compared to 3.5/pathfinder(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.solasta-game.com/solasta-crown-of-the-magister-news

SOLASTA EARLY ACCESS AVAILABLE NOW ON STEAM!

That's it folks,

We've finally made it to Steam Early Access! It's hard to imagine that it's been barely a year since the end of our Kickstarter Campaign, isn't it? The game has changed so much since the first Demo we released that it feels like an eternity. I even begin to tell you how happy we are to finally be able to not only show, but even put the game in your hands at last. Alright let's cut this intro short - apologies but no feline friends for this time!

Get Solasta Early Access on Steam now!

This one is for everyone who missed our Kickstarter and repeatedly asked us if we could have a late backer option - you can now buy the game on Steam! We're celebrating the release with a -15% launch Discount for the week, and will appear in the very relevant upcoming Steam Festival - The Digital Tabletop Fest.

If you're not familiar with Early Access, getting the game on Steam now will also give you the final game at launch (you won't need to buy it twice) - however keep in mind that save files will likely not be compatible.

Also... You played and enjoyed Solasta? Help us out by leaving an honest review on Steam! The gods of Steam Algorithms are finicky, and the more reviews we have the better off we'll be!

Early Access Launch Trailer is out!

New monsters? New environments? New spells? LORE? To celebrate our Early Access Launch, here is a brand new trailer for everyone to enjoy!

Solasta Supporter Pack DLC

Kickstarter Backers, make sure to redeem your Supporter Pack Key to enjoy some high resolution Concept Art of Solasta (as well as some Digital Dice Customization when 1.0 releases). For the others, if you love Solasta so much that you want to further support the studio after buying the game, head to the DLC Page!

Share your Feedback & Suggestions!

A large part of Early Access is about you - our community - and how you can help us shape the game into what you really want Solasta to be. As such, we ask you not to be shy - if there are bugs you'd like to see squashed, features you'd like to get implemented or tweaks you'd like to see added, come and tell us! Our Official Forums are here for that.

Voids

Augur
Downloading now. And of course they're gonna compare it to BG3. BG3 is, for better or worse, going to be what people are gonna be talking about for a long, long time. BG3 is the big fat cringy elephant in the room.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom