Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline some braindead fucking moron merging and moving threads again

Codex Referendum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Thats why they dismiss it like a joke

sure, it's not because it's all stuff you pulled out of your ass, no sir, not at all

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I was in the market for new underwear to wear around the house with my V-neck sweater when I immediately thought of the codex clothing store.

I, without a second thought, clicked on the rpg codex merchandise link and to my dismay was not greeted by mhd thongs or chris avellone speedos, but instead discovered that all of the merchandise had been removed from cafe press.

What am I suppose to do now to fulfill my mhd needs?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Mustawd
Roqua

As I said, if being japanese is "too offensive", he could then post about games such as Pyramid, Void, Black Palace and Paper Sorcerer.

I agree with you in spirit. I am not a fan of jrpgs since it seems to be the standard to have the worst possible UI imaginable, pre-made characters that are all emo or ridiculously slapstick or pedophile bate, and weird cut scenes that you can't skip and make the grind aspect desirable. Also, the whole global warming rigmarole is as played out as the evil corporation, and those two seem to be the plot basis of every jrpg made. But just because I have impeccable taste doesn't mean the monkey savages should be deprived of news they find interesting. I would much rather see jrpg news than shitty hipster game or console game news.

How about making Aweigh the jrpg news guy and just have a separate jrpg news tab? He seems to be knee deep in the know about jrpgs and jrpg related news. What kills me is a lot of the important crpg news Infinitron knows about because he updates the forum threads for the games with the news. What I would really like is a list of just crpgs with civilized UIs and non-pregenerated character(s) with an updated released date being kept. Some guy in the forum has a list he updates be he includes hipster shit, blatant non-rpgs, and skips most of the lower key real crpgs. But, in order to get the monkeys to buy non-hipster shit the news about real crpgs needs to be posted. The hipsters are going to find out about their filthy monkey kids shit through watching people play video games on whatever so the people that actually give a shit about that news don't even need it. But in order to advance the cause of real crpgs people need to know about them and be told they should buy them. Of course they won't like them like with ToEE, WL2, and PoE, but just think of how things may have turned out if people with good taste didn't pirate the shit out of Arcanum when it was leaked, or whine like psycho hoity toity fancy pants retard bitches when Bloodlines and especially ToEE came out, but actually supported (with cash) the real game makers who need the support we would have had Troika making instant classics for the last decade plus, instead of the nothing we got.

I haven't really read what people here have said about Seven Dragon Saga, but I know all the puritan console idiots at rpgwatch where slamming it instead of being excited that good game makers are trying to make a good game for crpg fans again. It boggles my mind how most of the people on rpg sites do not like rpgs, but just like simple games with retard combat, no meaningful chargen or chardev, and are more dating sim and movie than game. If you don't want great game devs who have made tons of classics making good games for rpg fans at least have the courtesy to shut your fucking monkey mouth and keep your monkey opinion to yourself.

Also, I am calling on Aweigh to play Last Dream because it has all the aspects of jrpgs he likes intertwined with crpg goodness. He is no fan of either genre unless and until he plays Last Dream to completion.

Mustawd

I haven't really read what people here have said about Seven Dragon Saga, but I know all the puritan console idiots at rpgwatch where slamming it instead of being excited that good game makers are trying to make a good game for crpg fans again.

:retarded:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Mortmal

To each their own :)

Everything you complained about, btw, has absolutely nothing to do with Elminage: Gothic since every single design element that you listed is from Wizardry. Er, they don't call these games "Wiz-clones" for nothing, you know. I've written pages and pages detailing the merits of all of Wizardry's traditional gameplay mechanics including a short post (about 5 paragraphs) dedicated to the tightly woven relationship the game builds from beginning to end between its character races, their racial attribute maximums and the interplay that occurs therein by utilizing seemingly "random" gains/losses of attributes during level-ups.

I used to think it was wonky too until I understood the attribute system. Wizardry isn't Final Fantasy where the goal is to have higher and higher numbers, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

You know, a lot of people poo-poo on difficult games, and in this thread especially on Elminage: Gothic because of its difficulty. I have to ask... is any of the things seen here "detrimental" to the game?

Each one of those videos represent what I most love and enjoy about the turn-based dungeon-crawler, and specifically in this context, the Wiz-clone.

I honestly wish someone would give me a detailed analysis of why a moderate level of difficulty, as seen on those videos, which I helpfully time-stamped for you guys; why is a game being difficult "bad"?

Btw, you do know that you can always just draw your own maps, right? Complaining about limited map usage in a game where viewing the map is a spell AND an item... drawing the maps are a HUGE part of the fun of exploring and mapping out a dungeon.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Games that punish you with difficult combats that can wipe your party on the very first encounter. Games that require you to pay attention to the dungeon. This is not what the Codex wants, I suppose.

I have nothing against JRPGs personally as I grew up playing them. I discovered Fallout 1 then, and completely changed how I played and viewed RPGs for the better part of 12 years.

Then I discovered Wizardry and realized that every RPG I had played before was a game made for children, with children's stories and childlike difficulty.

But enough, this isn't about whether Wizardry is good or not, it's about the lack of coverage of games that fill out all of the criteria to be considered proper RPGs not being given enough coverage in the Codex.

Frankly I'd rather see a new update on Underrail, even if there is no new news to report, simply because it would be far more interesting than an interview about a Kickstarter for some shovel-shit game, like PoE.

There is absolutely no problem with posting more articles about a game you have already reported on! Shocking, I know!

At any rate as the majority of people have mentioned in this thread and in others: the front-page is not worth viewing. I wish it were, and that is why I ask for better front-page RPG coverage. That is all.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Btw, you do know that you can always just draw your own maps, right? Complaining about limited map usage in a game where viewing the map is a spell AND an item... drawing the maps are a HUGE part of the fun of exploring and mapping out a dungeon.
I hate drawing tilemaps it's just fucking busywork. If it was 1800's I'd have a niglet draw the floor and walls and i just put points of interest.

I understand the gameplay importance when dealing with things like teleport and orientation traps but fuck how often you see those?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Jaesun

First of all FF6 is the best one.

Excidium II

I don't draw tiles when I make my maps. I've been trying to find pictures of my Wizardry 3 maps but I can't find them. I use a plain white piece of printer paper and a pencil, and I make a straight line if it's a hallway, and if it leads into a room I draw a little square.

End result looks like a flowchart drawn by a madman. I do admit that it is very convenient to have auto-map functionality or "unlimited" map viewings if the GAME'S DUNGEONS ARE BADLY DESIGNED AND THEREFORE NOT WORTH PLAYING.

Why should the player have to go through the trouble of drawing uninspired dungeons like the ones in SoSC for example? I am enjoying the game for its combat but I will never replay it because the dungeons are linear and lack complexity.

Lhynn

I find games where I have to laboriously click on my characters and then laboriously move the mouse pointer over to where I want them to go and then have to painfully click the mouse button and then motherfucking wait for them to stumble their way across the screen. I think that is bad controls. Character movement should be speedy, immediate and there should never be additional movement of the player's fingers or wrists or hands in order to accomplish any given task. I find that in games where an RTS-like control scheme is emplyed there is a lot of laborious moving and jerking of the mouse itself and a lot of unnecessary pixel hunting when trying to give an order or the like.

To each their own :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom