Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

maydaymemer

Educated
Sonic Origins finally has a release date (June 23rd) and a new trailer:

Very excited for it. Hopefully it won't be shit.

Well it is out and it is shit. Keyboard controls are terrible and you cannot properly rebind them as arrow keys cannot be used (I prefer playing old games like Sonic with the keyboard over a controller as analogue sticks don't work very well in them). You only get widescreen in anniversary mode which also removes lifes and continues which makes the games way too easy and invalidates part of the gameplay. If you go to classic mode, you get the old gameplay, but are stuck with 4:3 which renders the whole remaster rather pointless. Also, they didn't include the original music for Carnical Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base zone in Sonic 3. Instead, they used the music of the Sonic 3 prototype for these zones and it shows. To top it off, you get an atrocious menu design which makes getting into and quitting the game needlessly hard. This remake is worth 10€ at most and SEGA should be ashamed for pricing it at 40€.

Eh I enjoyed it. It's good to finally have Stealth make his Sonic 3K remake. My problems with it is physics feel off with the drop dash in the old games and there should be more ROMs as unlocks to put this on the same level as the Mega Collections. I know they wouldn't be able to make them all as good as this but I just want the novelty of having all the game gear, master system, even the GBA games on a new console even if they dont have any bells or whistles just passable emulation. Because that's the flaw of this new currency system. They give you these credits to buy things but there's nothing to buy. If we could buy other games that'd be better. I don't know why they also didn't just shove Mania into this collection for convenience sake

Terra

Cipher
For reference, here you can see the old and new music compared. It is really quite disappointing

What is this heresy? The original prototype music sounds better than the "remaster", yet both pale in comparison to the originals. Just dire, really. Sounds like the built in tunes they had on those Casio kids keyboards from way back when.

maydaymemer

Educated
For reference, here you can see the old and new music compared. It is really quite disappointing

What is this heresy? The original prototype music sounds better than the "remaster", yet both pale in comparison to the originals. Just dire, really. Sounds like the built in tunes they had on those Casio kids keyboards from way back when.

SEGA dont want to pay royalties to Michael Jackson's team because they're greedy/lazy/cowards

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I've read quite a few user reviews on Origins and a lot of people complain that it is worse than Sonic A.I.R. Having never played this mod, I wanted to give it a go only to realize that it requires the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which is just an emulated version) because of some retarded anti-piracy stance. Given that SEGA removed all standalone versions of the old Sonic games recently, there is now no way to play AIR unless you already own the old steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Great job everyone involved. I guess just releasing a rom hack would have been too convenient...

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I've read quite a few user reviews on Origins and a lot of people complain that it is worse than Sonic A.I.R. Having never played this mod, I wanted to give it a go only to realize that it requires the Steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles (which is just an emulated version) because of some retarded anti-piracy stance. Given that SEGA removed all standalone versions of the old Sonic games recently, there is now no way to play AIR unless you already own the old steam version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Great job everyone involved. I guess just releasing a rom hack would have been too convenient...
You can find the rom on Archive.org, I think. A bigger problem is that you can't play the Sonic CD Decomp without the data.rsdk from either the mobile release or the Steam version. It's way easier to use the Steam data if you already owned it, but since it's gone now, you have to either go through the pain of extracting it from a smartphone, or scrounge around the internet for an already extracted file.
It's just a needless pain in the ass, but at least SEGA aren't hitting these projects with lawsuits. Someone on /v/ posted a MEGA link with all the fan-remakes (Forever, Absolute, AIR, and CD Decomp) already setup for Windows, no data files needed. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, though, since it's probably illegal.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

SEGA dont want to pay royalties to Michael Jackson's team because they're greedy/lazy/cowards

I would have understood if it was just too expensive / too difficult to use the original music, since we do not know what terms the heirs of Jackson are offering and there are more than enough examples of greedy estates of famous artists. But if they couldn't use the original music, they should have either created awesome completely new music or tried to get as close as possible as they can without getting sued. Both routes would have been fine. But just using the prototype music from 1992 which also sounds like a prototype as it is extremely simple and does not fit the other music at all, is just inexcusable lazy. They charge 40 bucks for this thing but can't be arsed to invest into the music while selling people a music DLC ...

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

I would have understood if it was just too expensive / too difficult to use the original music, since we do not know what terms the heirs of Jackson are offering and there are more than enough examples of greedy estates of famous artists. But if they couldn't use the original music, they should have either created awesome completely new music or tried to get as close as possible as they can without getting sued. Both routes would have been fine. But just using the prototype music from 1992 which also sounds like a prototype as it is extremely simple and does not fit the other music at all, is just inexcusable lazy. They charge 40 bucks for this thing but can't be arsed to invest into the music while selling people a music DLC ...

The prototype music is good and fits the soundtrack more than the Jaxbuxer trax but they fucked up by not ‘just using the prototype music from 1992’ and instead using something that sounds more like the ShittiMIDI versions. It was at the end of that video. Unless you think that still sucks too in which case your mom

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Is the crescent shape on Knuckles' chest supposed to be like the one on a samurai's helmet? Can't find information about it.

Alex

Arcane

The prototype music is good and fits the soundtrack more than the Jaxbuxer trax but they fucked up by not ‘just using the prototype music from 1992’ and instead using something that sounds more like the ShittiMIDI versions. It was at the end of that video. Unless you think that still sucks too in which your mom

Michael Jackson's tracks fit the stages pretty well, I think. I Carnival Night Zone, I would say both tracks fit the stage, and I am a bit partial to MJ's one. In Ice Cap, I think both tracks could fit the area better, but MJ's has the benefit of being the better music. And as for Launch Pad zone, I think MJ's fit the are even better than the prototype's. None of this is saying that the prototype's music is bad in any way, but the original is just very good.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

The prototype music is good and fits the soundtrack more than the Jaxbuxer trax but they fucked up by not ‘just using the prototype music from 1992’ and instead using something that sounds more like the ShittiMIDI versions. It was at the end of that video. Unless you think that still sucks too in which your mom

Michael Jackson's tracks fit the stages pretty well, I think. I Carnival Night Zone, I would say both tracks fit the stage, and I am a bit partial to MJ's one. In Ice Cap, I think both tracks could fit the area better, but MJ's has the benefit of being the better music. And as for Launch Pad zone, I think MJ's fit the are even better than the prototype's. None of this is saying that the prototype's music is bad in any way, but the original is just very good.

I think the MJ tracks fit the stages too, but the claim was that the prototype music ‘doesn't fit the other music at all’ which I don't see how that could be the case. By that standard, Angel Island Zone doesn't fit either. Still, I can see why they chose to use MJ's tracks for those stages.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the crescent shape on Knuckles' chest supposed to be like the one on a samurai's helmet? Can't find information about it.
isnt it a nike tick?
knucx.jpg

In older comics, western artist confused the crescent shape with a horseshoe pendant.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
KeighnMcDeath said:
I dunno why I enjoyed Sonic 2 on gamegear so much.
Cos the SMS SOnic games were good. Simple as.
Finally someone says it!!

I always get funny looks when I tell people I vastly prefer the SMS/GG Sonic 1 and 2 to the Genesis/Megadrive ones.
It's because it's a retarded opinion to have. You only like them because you played them first when you were a dumb kid. Therefore Megadrive moar liek Megadon't!!! Genesis can't have music as shitty as the Master Shitstem so it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As expected, your shitty germanigger tastes are baseless and worthless. I fucking hate people who use 0% of their brains and 100% of their arbitrary feelings when they come up with their dumbfuck opinions. Megadrive Sonic is infinitely superior and even the console's JRPGs are better than your stupid fucking SNEShit and their stupid fucking overwrought gayfaggot sprites. Fuck off.

Oh yeah you're ignoring me and don't know that I'm posting because you can't read my anti-ignore thread because you're ignoring me. Double fuck off.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I always get funny looks when I tell people I vastly prefer the SMS/GG Sonic 1 and 2 to the Genesis/Megadrive ones.
The appeals of the two series (Genesis and Master System) are really different. Personally, I've never viewed the Genesis Sonic games as strict "platformers", but more like its own unique brand of 2D action game. You really can't compare the controls and general gameplay of a Sonic game to any other platformer. Most of the time in Sonic, you're flying way over platforms after jumping off a ramp with a lot of speed rather than jumping on platforms like in a Megaman game.
In my opinion, the SMS games skew more towards the Megaman style of platforming (except with a much lower required level of execution) and don't have the stylish flair of the Genesis games. It's been awhile since I played them, but if I recall correctly, the SMS games don't even include Sonic's ability to regain his vertical momentum after jumping on enemies and item monitors, the single most "stylish" mechanic present in Sonic (and one that is just about essential for getting better times in Time Attack mode for games like Sonic CD).
So, if you don't really care for all that, you're probably going to prefer the SMS/GG games. Personally, I consider them inferior in just about every way. The music is good, though.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I just played SMS Sonic 1 for the first time and am thoroughly unimpressed.
-worse grafix
-boring music
-harder because no ring recovery but actually simpler and less interesting in terms of challenge
-bland generic stages
-level design, it's so fucking short????
-AUTOSCROLL RETARDATION

overall I give this a gaymegear/mastershitstem

Ezekiel

Arcane

Looking back on Sonic Adventure 2 and playing his 2005 game about two weeks ago, I think Shadow is one of the worst Sonic characters ever made. Think it was with him that the games started taking themselves really seriously, what with his sob story around Maria. I feel like Sega knew he was lame and that's why they abandoned him, yet here's a TV show with the edgelord.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I feel like Sega knew he was lame and that's why they abandoned him
lol, the Sonic series focused almost entirely on Shadow during the 2000s. He stole the plots of two Sonic games (Battle and 06), and even got his own game. And they still pander to Shadow fans with fanservice like Episode Shadow from Sonic Forces, and they hyped up his appearance in the Sonic Boom TV show tons. Looks like this new series is also gonna have lots of Shadow fanservice; the kids still love him, after all. Personally, I think the last game he was good in was Sonic Heroes (where he has lots of amusing dialogue). He's okay in 06 too, I guess, but that game's story is boring. After that he became a cheerleader like every other Sonic character besides Sonic and Eggman. And his characterization is terrible now. He used to be all serious, driven, and no-nonsense, sans a little bit of haughty banter when appropriate. Now he's a retarded edgelord who seethes about Sonic like he's Vegeta or something. The shitty new English voice actor even sounds like he's doing a bad Vegeta impression.

lightbane

Arcane
I think Shadow is one of the worst Sonic characters ever made. Think it was with him that the games started taking themselves really seriously, what with his sob story around Maria. I feel like Sega knew he was lame and that's why they abandoned him, yet here's a TV show with the edgelord.
Well, what you did expect? He was an edgelord from the start and never meant to survive Adventure 02, but fans insisted until he was brought back. He also has literal brain damage judging some of his actions in the Shadow game. I guess falling into the planet head-first did that.
He was also a robot before the Shadow game retconned that detail, or whatever. I can't take Shadow seriously.

He stole the plots of two Sonic games (Battle and 06), and even got his own game

A game that most people and the franchise included pretends it doesn't exist. TBF it had some good ideas but terrible execution. Also, Shadow can't wear a belt or whatever to be able to hold 2 weapons because it ruins his looks or something.
Supposedly the Shadow game only exists because the main writer tried Jak 2 and wanted to ape it.

And they still pander to Shadow fans with fanservice like Episode Shadow from Sonic Forces,
Where he did very little and does even less in the core game. He was there only for fanservice and badly at that.

and they hyped up his appearance in the Sonic Boom TV show tons.
Where he again does jack and shit, being mildly confrontational but never going anywhere with it, probably because the writers know they can't handle such a "complex" character in a comedy show.
Boom was underrated, the 2nd season had some hilarious episodes.
The incoming newest show is all about the multiverse fad, so there's an excuse for the edgy hog to show up, even if it's an alt of Sonic (which he always was technically).

After that he became a cheerleader like every other Sonic character besides Sonic and Eggman. And his characterization is terrible now.

More like he barely shows up. He won't be appearing in Frontiers for example. And if you think Shadow got terrible characterization, Tails wants a word.
There's a good writer for Frontiers, so the plot will hopefully be passable at worst, for what matters.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There's a good writer for Frontiers
Kek, Ian Flynn is a woke fucking clown who slipped in a lesbian relationship into the Archie comics. Whenever he gets full control of a story, he turns it into a tryhard edgefest far far worse than anything Shiro Maekawa ever wrote for the Adventure games, like all of Sonic's friends dying and him literally crying about it. Then he acts unprofessionally and blames imaginary SEGA mandates because they told him that Sonic shouldn't be lying in a puddle of his own tears like a faggot. He's also a shipfag, which immediately disqualifies anybody from being a good writer, because shipping is a mental illness when participated in by anybody but teenage girls.

Note that this guy's only work before the Archie comics was a tryhard edgy Sonic fancomic called "Other M" which was a big furry cringefest. Fans should never work on Sonic because every Sonic fan has his own autistic idea of what the series should be and will force it into whatever he's working on. This is especially true for SatAMfags/Archiefags who are the lowest, most repulsive types of Sonicfags. Classicfags get a pass because they're mostly just gameplay and mechanics autists, so they don't turn everything into a cringefest like Archiefags.

If you don't like edgy stuff then you'd hate most of what Ian Flynn has written. In Sonic Adventure 2, you don't see Shadow sobbing like a bitch about Maria. SA2, and even Shadow the Hedgehog, were generally more focused on being "cool and badass" rather than serious or dramatic; the former actually appeals to the series's target demographic, while the latter appeals to manchildren who are too immature to be capable of expressing themselves outside the scope of cartoons for children (see also: recent cartoons like Adventure Time and Star vs. the Forces of Evil). Sonic Adventure 2 ends with Sonic and Shadow powering up into Super Saiyans to fight a giant space lizard while hard rock plays in the background, and if that's too hardcore and serious for you then I don't know what to say.

Americans in general should never be allowed to work on Sonic, except in a strictly technical and mechanics-focused sense, like Sonic Spinball, or Sonic Mania (and even this one smells of shit a little bit). Americans either make shit way too kiddy (SatAM, early Archie, the live-action movies, and the Pontac and Graff games such as Colors and Lost World), or they make it way too dramatic to the point where it can only be enjoyed by manchildren (later Archie, Other M, Ghosts of the Future, and other fan-comics). That's not to say the Japanese have a spotless track record for keeping the tone in a comfortable place, but they're way better than American writers in this regard. People think Shadow the Hedgehog is the height of cringe in the Sonic games but it's way more charming and amusing than some garbage from Archie or IDW. In Shadow the Hedgehog the protagonist is a serious, stoic badass who's killing aliens with machine guns. In the comic books, especially the recent IDW comic books, it's a bunch of literal fucking WOMEN talking about their FEELINGS, and they keep trying to force this "wholesome" tone in - that is, when they're not jerking themselves off with an uber-edgy story like the Metal Virus arc, which always fail to be "cool", and are only melodramatic. Completely Reddit-tier.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I thought Shadow was dumb as a kid and never checked out 3d Sonic until I was an adult partially due to that. Once I played SA2 in my 20s I loved it as well as Shadow. I guess you are all just too immature to appreciate the Edgehog :smug:

Americans either make shit way too kiddy (SatAM
What? SatAM is the most adult Sonic thing I know of. It gets pretty dark at times. Have you actually watched SatAM? The setting is a literal dystopia where Eggman has taken everything over and is trying to genocide the few furries that he hasn't roboticized yet. Going from that to Sonic Adventure was quite a shock to me as a teenager and the other of the main two reasons it took me so long to try out the Dreamcast games.

Fans should never work on Sonic because every Sonic fan has his own autistic idea of what the series should be and will force it into whatever he's working on. This is especially true for SatAMfags/Archiefags who are the lowest, most repulsive types of Sonicfags.
Guilty as charged. If I had control of the franchise I would reboot it and it would be heavily based on SatAM. I think you might be forgetting that one of the best modern Sonic games was made by a fan. That game being Sonic Mania.

lightbane

Arcane
Kek, Ian Flynn is a woke fucking clown who slipped in a lesbian relationship into the Archie comics.
The thing about Sally getting it together with a fucking AI hologram?
I won't comment on this one as I never read the American comics nor I'm sure if I plan to, considering their infamy. It's also stolen from what was meant to be S3 of SatAM and made into a shipping for... Reasons. Supposedly that Sonic can't be tied down with a girl, if only to avoid the whole Archie drama.

Sonic's friends dying and him literally crying about it.
Which one would that be? The jarring not-zombie arc of IDW or Archie Sonic accidentally fucking up the future and deleting his sons and co?
These two arcs are a fucking mess. Ian and co work better when they don't take the setting too seriously, as the classic titles.

Then he acts unprofessionally and blames imaginary SEGA mandates because they told him that Sonic shouldn't be lying in a puddle of his own tears like a faggot.
Supposedly these mandates DO exist, and were reinforced after that comic was spotted by a SEGA mandate, or so the story goes. Either way, it's indeed totally inappropiate for Sonic to end up like that.

He's also a shipfag, which immediately disqualifies anybody from being a good writer, because shipping is a mental illness when participated in by anybody but teenage girls.
Don't know much so I can't say. One of these mandates forbid characters from forming new relationships or "existing" ones to move forward, so for good and bad it won't go anywhere.

Note that this guy's only work before the Archie comics was a tryhard edgy Sonic fancomic called "Other M" which was a big furry cringefest. Fans
Never heard of that one. Only in the Codex you can find the deepest lore.

In the comic books, especially the recent IDW comic books, it's a bunch of literal fucking WOMEN talking about their FEELINGS, and they keep trying to force this "wholesome" tone in - that is, when they're not jerking themselves off with an uber-edgy story like the Metal Virus arc, which always fail to be "cool", and are only melodramatic. Completely Reddit-tier.
Ookay? I skimmed the IDW books and I didn't like how bland the art style is, didn't get to that part but I read about the zombie arc that feels completely out of place in a Sonic story.
I skimmed the story of the playtipus villain making bootleg copies of Sonic and Tails duo and completely failing at that due not understanding the duo's dynamics. I found that one hilarious because intentionally or not, it is implied these two would fail horribly at their task due being literally cheap copies, and they do, losing their first duel with their counterparts.
I liked the British comics because there was no teenager drama and instead British insanity, which is way better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom