Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

Derringer

Prophet

Looking back on Sonic Adventure 2 and playing his 2005 game about two weeks ago, I think Shadow is one of the worst Sonic characters ever made. Think it was with him that the games started taking themselves really seriously, what with his sob story around Maria. I feel like Sega knew he was lame and that's why they abandoned him, yet here's a TV show with the edgelord.

xa2u1p.jpg

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Just looked at that TV show trailer again. Does anyone else hate how they texture Sonic to look like he has fur? So what are the quills coming out of the back of his head? Are they actual quills or are they just quill-shaped fur? Looks fucking retarded. Just leave him textureless. The only parts that should be furry are the peach-colored parts on his face, arms, and stomach. But then they texture the peach-colored parts to look like fucking skin! Is he actually just a little midget human wearing a furry headpiece?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Just looked at that TV show trailer again. Does anyone else hate how they texture Sonic to look like he has fur? So what are the quills coming out of the back of his head? Are they actual quills or are they just quill-shaped fur? Looks fucking retarded. Just leave him textureless. The only parts that should be furry are the peach-colored parts on his face, arms, and stomach. But then they texture the peach-colored parts to look like fucking skin! Is he actually just a little midget human wearing a furry headpiece?
Guys I think I just found Chris-chan's codex account

Ezekiel

Arcane
Knew my memory from 20 years ago wasn't playing tricks on me. Sonic Adventure 2 is badly mixed on PC. The music is much too quiet, drowned out by the sound effects. Dialogue is quieter too.

Sexy Beast

Novice

Looking back on Sonic Adventure 2 and playing his 2005 game about two weeks ago, I think Shadow is one of the worst Sonic characters ever made. Think it was with him that the games started taking themselves really seriously, what with his sob story around Maria. I feel like Sega knew he was lame and that's why they abandoned him, yet here's a TV show with the edgelord.

xa2u1p.jpg

now I understand why sonic and shadow are enemies

1668636146034184.png

maydaymemer

Educated
frontiers is okay so far. its nothing special but its kinda funny to zip around and try to skip parts of the level. fans of it wanting it to win awards and shit are heavily overrating it tho

maydaymemer

Educated
There's a good writer for Frontiers
Kek, Ian Flynn is a woke fucking clown who slipped in a lesbian relationship into the Archie comics. Whenever he gets full control of a story, he turns it into a tryhard edgefest far far worse than anything Shiro Maekawa ever wrote for the Adventure games, like all of Sonic's friends dying and him literally crying about it. Then he acts unprofessionally and blames imaginary SEGA mandates because they told him that Sonic shouldn't be lying in a puddle of his own tears like a faggot. He's also a shipfag, which immediately disqualifies anybody from being a good writer, because shipping is a mental illness when participated in by anybody but teenage girls.

Note that this guy's only work before the Archie comics was a tryhard edgy Sonic fancomic called "Other M" which was a big furry cringefest. Fans should never work on Sonic because every Sonic fan has his own autistic idea of what the series should be and will force it into whatever he's working on. This is especially true for SatAMfags/Archiefags who are the lowest, most repulsive types of Sonicfags. Classicfags get a pass because they're mostly just gameplay and mechanics autists, so they don't turn everything into a cringefest like Archiefags.

If you don't like edgy stuff then you'd hate most of what Ian Flynn has written. In Sonic Adventure 2, you don't see Shadow sobbing like a bitch about Maria. SA2, and even Shadow the Hedgehog, were generally more focused on being "cool and badass" rather than serious or dramatic; the former actually appeals to the series's target demographic, while the latter appeals to manchildren who are too immature to be capable of expressing themselves outside the scope of cartoons for children (see also: recent cartoons like Adventure Time and Star vs. the Forces of Evil). Sonic Adventure 2 ends with Sonic and Shadow powering up into Super Saiyans to fight a giant space lizard while hard rock plays in the background, and if that's too hardcore and serious for you then I don't know what to say.

Americans in general should never be allowed to work on Sonic, except in a strictly technical and mechanics-focused sense, like Sonic Spinball, or Sonic Mania (and even this one smells of shit a little bit). Americans either make shit way too kiddy (SatAM, early Archie, the live-action movies, and the Pontac and Graff games such as Colors and Lost World), or they make it way too dramatic to the point where it can only be enjoyed by manchildren (later Archie, Other M, Ghosts of the Future, and other fan-comics). That's not to say the Japanese have a spotless track record for keeping the tone in a comfortable place, but they're way better than American writers in this regard. People think Shadow the Hedgehog is the height of cringe in the Sonic games but it's way more charming and amusing than some garbage from Archie or IDW. In Shadow the Hedgehog the protagonist is a serious, stoic badass who's killing aliens with machine guns. In the comic books, especially the recent IDW comic books, it's a bunch of literal fucking WOMEN talking about their FEELINGS, and they keep trying to force this "wholesome" tone in - that is, when they're not jerking themselves off with an uber-edgy story like the Metal Virus arc, which always fail to be "cool", and are only melodramatic. Completely Reddit-tier.
youre not wrong but who cares about the gay ass writing of a sonic game. i skipped all the cutscenes in frontiers. roger's sonic voice sounds weird now

maydaymemer

Educated
Im thinking of when it's on a deep sale getting Origins again for PC. I really would enjoy everything about the package except for the fact the controls seem off compared to Mania, I mean I certainly liked it enough to platinum it but I think I finally figured out what I need to modify. It seems that Sonic's drop dash and momentum gets killed if you're touching the stick before it happens even when pushing forward. Like I used to hold up while doing the shields in the old games but now that doesnt work (and yes I use stick). So letting go of the stick and doing the drop dash without that seems to take me further, but if I just mod the package I wont need to worry about that right? Anyone else got input on this?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
NMaEZRt.png

How I wish he still looked like this in all the games and shows.

I think this video, in the section on art, explains the unique "Sonic aesthetic" quite well. His planet, Moebius, was quite visually distinct. Sega's abandonment of the Sonic aesthetic was a mistake. It means he no longer has a recognisable, consistent, signature visual style. Formerly the world of Sonic was just as visually distinct as Mario's, with Mario's strange hills, blocks with eyes on, etc.

He explains that the early aesthetic was a homage to early CGI, with it's polygonal look, and checkerboard patterns:

1NfU.gif

HauntingVerifiableHoneybee-size_restricted.gif

So here in Green Hill Zone, you can see that the trees look deliberatly polygonal, despite being actually a 2D element:

PN58T7x.png

359fdd4591021fa0e6aa9521810b42a2.gif

Here again in Emerald Hill Zone, there is checkers, false depth created by 3D polygonal art, shadowed in direct sunlight:

jbo3Mk3.png

So I think the problem began when Sega of Japan started putting him in generic cities, full of humans and automobiles:

ejM9eGe.png

GratefulAngryEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

Great Britain's "Sonic the Comic" preserved the unique visual style of Moebius (I can't speak to the American Archie stuff):

TePrEYo.png

Sonic Frontiers has elements of the Sonic stryle, but still occasions where it seems he is just in a generic 3D asset field:

XzrFbT5.png

d4385c50a1f07d766e7328199a36ae6a.gif

Adding humans, cars, office blocks and all that shit was a bad descision, and I gather it was led by the mythology that Sega of Japan had created, as opposed to the actually better British and American mythologies. So Sonic Adventure, despite how (for some reason) it has been accepted as a fan classic, was the beginning of Sonic's decline, in a number of ways, not least forcing 3D on a 2D side scroller.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
PXrjITo.png

Anyone knows 'Hedgehog' is a euphemism, given by humans in our reality, to the alien mammal-like species of bipedal life from planet Moebius, of which Sonic is one individual example, in that postulated reality. They bear no relation to the 'Erinaceus europaeus' species of Erinaceinae genera, from our reality's European continent. Just as Homo sapiens in our reality, bear no relation to the human-like life forms, such as Luke Skywalker, in Star Wars' reality. They developed bipedal stucture, prehensile hands, pointed quills, because evolutionary pressures in Sonic's universe, mirror our own universe's physical characteristics, leading to convergent evolution. Any geek would know this. Such plebian ignorance is beneath a a true nerd, and I merely choose to explain this obvious fact out of charity to the less enlightened.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
PXrjITo.png

Anyone knows 'Hedgehog' is a euphemism, given by humans in our reality, to the alien mammal-like species of bipedal life from planet Moebius, of which Sonic is one individual example, in that postulated reality. They bear no relation to the 'Erinaceus europaeus' species of Erinaceinae genera, from our reality's European continent. Just as Homo sapiens in our reality, bear no relation to the human-like life forms, such as Luke Skywalker, in Star Wars' reality. They developed bipedal stucture, prehensile hands, pointed quills, because evolutionary pressures in Sonic's universe, mirror our own universe's physical characteristics, leading to convergent evolution. Any geek would know this. Such plebian ignorance is beneath a a true nerd, and I merely choose to explain this obvious fact out of charity to the less enlightened.
Hey bro, I've been leveling up my animal spirit possession. These days I can't do anything but eat meat while watching tanuki getting belly rubs on jewtoob

The quills are the individual strands, it just settles in the huge spikes because he'd look like a furby otherwise.

563924624a6d6554c2c7790ff4e69125f92b0a46.gifv

A_blue_Furby_Connect.jpg

Parsifarka

Arcane

Very nice, took me a couple hours to complete. Besides being a visual novel with a fun representation of the characters (I was surprised by how all-in they went with this Rouge), it does feature an actual game in the form of obstacle races Sonic must overcome in a perspective similar to Sonic 3D Blast only the screen autoscrollls and he's restricted to jumping and moving laterally in arcade style, being required to meet a certain number of rings to move to the next stage; both the goal and the dangers increase as the story progresses and, by the end of it, it was genuinely fun and at times even actually challenging, had to repeat some of those courses more than once. Neat gift for the fans, the year of the hedgehog is still going strong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom