Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

lightbane

Arcane
Illustrates why the more serious versions of Sonic, like that European '90s comic series, are such BS
That bit is from the American comic IIRC. There's no European comic, unless you count the British one, which was good.

I'm sceptical that even the second Sat AM show really worked well. Haven't watched it since I was a kid.
It didn't, it was terrible, came out too late since Sonic Adventure was out, and it got cancelled after 1 season. It was more of the same of SatAM but worse.
At least SatAm got a second season with an ending where Eggman is dealt with... Which hasn't been a thing in any other media of Sonic, heh.
Time to binge buy on dvd... or is there a high blue seas that will DL FAST!

There's certain webpages that could help you, like say the letters "s" and "flix" put together...

Ezekiel

Arcane
British comic is what I meant. My brother had the German translations and I kind of had to be sneaky about reading them. They probably take themselves too seriously for the art style and that source material.

By second Sat AM show, I meant the one that came after Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, the second Jaleel White show. I plan to watch it again after I finish Adventures of Sonic. Haven't fully since we left Germany in 1997. Probably overrated.

Last edited:

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
sz1zgrmv2egd1.png

lightbane

Arcane
They probably take themselves too seriously for the art style and that source material.
Not really, that's the American comic. The British one is 2000AD Sonic, and it's over the top.

By second Sat AM show, I meant the one that came after Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
That's Sonic Satam and was aired together with Adventures of Sonic. But, while the latter is Looney Tunes style hijinks, the other is serious and bleaker. Except for Antoine, who exist solely to show someone hates royals and to drag down the show.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Yeah, lined up (like in concentration camp) talking cartoon animals weeping as their friends and loved ones are roboticized, not sure I can take it seriously anymore. The roboticizer is ridiculous, by way. In Mega Drive world, would imagine the animals being encased plate by plate, cable by cable.

Tails as a side character, lame.

Opening music is super gay.

Still have a long way to go before Adventures is over. Have to use bookmarks because can't split the episodes properly.

pmkjl8P.jpeg

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
he roboticizer is ridiculous, by way. In Mega Drive world, would imagine the animals being encased plate by plate, cable by cable.
It's the logical conclusion of shoving animals into machines and using them as batteries. It was recycled for the latest comics, the IDW ones, whose quality according to posters here is low. I skimmed some of them and I found them safe compared to the unhinged Archie and the British ones, as it's pretty much the games in comics version, with not too many surprises, except for some horror elements that feel strange to see in a Sonic comic.

Always have been, sadly. He got worse the latest decade, but he'll remain that until/if he gets another game of his own. If Tails' case is bad, Knuckles and Shadow have it worse, nevermind Silver.

Still have a long way to go before Adventures is over. Have to use bookmarks because can't split the episodes properly.
That's a lot of episodes, yep.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, lined up (like in concentration camp) talking cartoon animals weeping as their friends and loved ones are roboticized, not sure I can take it seriously anymore. The roboticizer is ridiculous, by way. In Mega Drive world, would imagine the animals being encased plate by plate, cable by cable.

Opening music is super gay.

Better not be bad-mouthing this 90s classic! Awesome art and animation, charming music and sound (intro take it or leave it, sure), fun drama jokes and action, always something interesting happening, very fast pacing, and always ends in a quick educational message as all kid shows should.

I never did watch it past the first season tho.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Nice to see Sega giving a shit.

FEB150982.jpg

I'm reading this at the moment. It's obviously written for children and comics suck but I'm enjoying it. They go out of their way to make Sonic and Megaman both look strong. Sonic beats Megaman and Megaman beats Sonic until the obvious team up. There's a sequel which is Marvel X Sega I'm wanting to read after. Would recommend tracking it down.

lightbane

Arcane
I disagree. The Sonic and Megaman combo completely takes over the plot of Sonic comics, replacing it with Megaman's plot, and requires tracking down multiple comics of different series. They could have made it is own series but nope, you have to follow 3 different lines to get all of them. Even better, this crossover failed and Archie retconned half of the Sonic comic book lore, ending up with a bland and safe mess that slowly but surely died until the plug was pulled out in 2018.
Then there's the second crossover, with MMX as you say, that takes over the plot of an ongoing Sonic arc, interrupting it, with Sigma doing what Sigma usually does: Becoming a god-like being that must be destroyed. IMO, Megaman games don't have enough plot to work as comics, especially in a crossover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom