Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Wreck finally coming to Early Access on December 5th

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
^^It's happening again.

The sad thing is that people fall for these retarded innuendo campaigns about games they don't really know anything about. "I heard this game is woke, somebody in an RPG Codex thread said so. Look, there's a female character! Into the trash it goes."

Developers clearly shown that they are woke. It is not a guess or hearsay, but fact.

And yes, into the trash it goes.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
^^It's happening again.

The sad thing is that people fall for these retarded innuendo campaigns about games they don't really know anything about. "I heard this game is woke, somebody in an RPG Codex thread said so. Look, there's a female character! Into the trash it goes."

Developers clearly shown that they are woke. It is not a guess or hearsay, but fact.

And yes, into the trash it goes.
Don't you have to pirate it first?

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
And this is where N comes into play: it represents someone who lacks distinct and pronounced male or female traits. Note that it does not imply sexual orientation or how you see yourself, it is how NPC should see you.
Does a character with the "N" gender have to roll a +10 to not kill itself at certain points in the game?

Like:

NPC: "Hello sir"

>Enemy has misgendered you, please roll to avoid existence failure
>You have rolled 8
>Game Over

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For once I agree with dildolos, I don't see the appeal of this game. It seems like an oh-so-quirky indie RPG created to be marketed on a niche hipster area of reddit. A perfect example is the game showing you dice being rolled... Why? What purpose does this serve other than reminding people that tabletop RPGs use dice and your game is totally like a tabletop RPG and quirky and nerdy?

In short: because I think it works and people love it.

TL;DR

Originally the game did not have dice rolls. Like, at all - there were constant skill gates like in New Vegas.
But playing and talking to players I realized it's boring - you just click through the options, no suspense, no risk.

I added skill checks with possible failure. It was better, but then there was the next problem - you could just click through and hardly notice that anything of interest happened. I decided I need a dramatic pause.

We tried various visualizations but this one was the ultimate success among the people I was testing it on.

I guess it reminds tabletop role-playing gameplay...which is not wrong because a lot of the design decisions in Space Wreck come from tabletop RPGs where you can inspect everything and try anything; then see if you can roll for success or fail hilariously.

But, yeah, it helps with the niche hipster area of reddit, too.
Can you make it optional for people who don't want to watch a two second animation every time a skill is checked?

As in, a thing you can switch off in the options menu?

MasPingon

Arcane
What the hell is the "N" option in sex for?

Last time I checked Female starts with F. What does the N stand for?

Good question!

View attachment 30249

Why is this necessary? Because this is a gameplay mechanic. For example, there is an girl who does not like men because of some trauma; she won't open up to you if you are a MAN. She will talk to a WOMAN, of course, but, also, N - if you are not so manly and macho, she will feel comfortable talking to you and that'll unlock some new dialog options, possibly a quest line. On the other hand, if you are N and meet a heterosexual woman, you can have sex (granted, your CHARM is not crap).
This is retarded.

flushfire

Augur
I was waiting for this game. Much as I hate tryhard pixelated aesthetics, I actually liked the art direction of this game. Didn't do much beyond looking at screenshots and animations though, wanted to avoid negative impressions before release as much as possible.

But the story being divided into "forks" and such short ones, have torpedoed my interest. Also that N choice. Seems like it isn't a game for me. Anyway good luck to the devs.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's all woke.
124XPP5.png

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What the hell is the "N" option in sex for?

Last time I checked Female starts with F. What does the N stand for?

Good question!

View attachment 30249

It's about defining how NPC should perceive you:
* MAN - everybody sees you as a typical male;
* WOMAN - other people will treat you as a stereotypical female.
And this is where N comes into play: it represents someone who lacks distinct and pronounced male or female traits. Note that it does not imply sexual orientation or how you see yourself, it is how NPC should see you.

Why is this necessary? Because this is a gameplay mechanic. For example, there is an girl who does not like men because of some trauma; she won't open up to you if you are a MAN. She will talk to a WOMAN, of course, but, also, N - if you are not so manly and macho, she will feel comfortable talking to you and that'll unlock some new dialog options, possibly a quest line. On the other hand, if you are N and meet a heterosexual woman, you can have sex (granted, your CHARM is not crap).

Think of it like this, if it helps:
MAN - that's Chad
N - that's incel

Something like that.

N = non-binary
Famous "they/them"

Oh and "gameplay mechanic", nice try. But no.

From steam forum, by developer: "Since the Maidan, the slogan has become the symbol of Ukrainian resistance against russian occupiers". Too political for game developer. This is just a woke ("neutral gender", standwithukraine, LGBTQ+, cancel culture, BLM etc. typical liberal globalhomo narrative).

Last edited:

Contagium

Savant
Patron
"Fallout successor" that takes 5 hours for a playthrough, with one playthrough showing 60% of the content. If more than $9.99 on release it's a ripoff.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Will Space Wreck game editor release to owners to modify the game?
Is game modification a feature?

Do you want it to be a feature?

I was thinking about it but was undecided because - while modding is a cool thing, my game is a no-name indie, so there might not be enough demand to modify it. The editor is functional as it is, but to release it for general public, I imagine I'd have to prepare some documentation and, possibly, streamline a bit of the editing flow. I mean, it takes some effort(time).

Let me know what you think about it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
For once I agree with dildolos, I don't see the appeal of this game. It seems like an oh-so-quirky indie RPG created to be marketed on a niche hipster area of reddit. A perfect example is the game showing you dice being rolled... Why? What purpose does this serve other than reminding people that tabletop RPGs use dice and your game is totally like a tabletop RPG and quirky and nerdy?
SW-STEAM-fail-CHARM.gif

It makes it look like a digital boardgame. A game that is made for people who want to brag about playing roleplaying games to the point where they end up roleplaying someone who is playing an RPG.

I hope it does well in sales for Kamaz' sake, but it's definitely not for me.
I am not that interested in this game (although it looks visually appealing.)

But I want to ask you, rusty, if you are familiar with decks and loot boxes. When you click on them, they do not just open. You get this neat animation, lights, movement. This is pure dopamine for most people. Having these things makes the mundane act of paying 5 dollars, or opening a chest with random contents, more exciting for many people.

It's similar with the virtual dice rolling. It just 'feels' more engaging to the average person if there's something moving, something appealing you can look at while something as mundane as a skill check happens. Even better if it can be toggled off or skipped when desired. And even better, from what I have seen in the average streamer and consumer, when, the better the result, the more 'bling' happens. So on a natural 20, for example, you'd get like a golden glow effect and maybe small fireworks or something.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In short: because I think it works and people love it.

TL;DR

Originally the game did not have dice rolls. Like, at all - there were constant skill gates like in New Vegas.
But playing and talking to players I realized it's boring - you just click through the options, no suspense, no risk.

I added skill checks with possible failure. It was better, but then there was the next problem - you could just click through and hardly notice that anything of interest happened. I decided I need a dramatic pause.

We tried various visualizations but this one was the ultimate success among the people I was testing it on.

I guess it reminds tabletop role-playing gameplay...which is not wrong because a lot of the design decisions in Space Wreck come from tabletop RPGs where you can inspect everything and try anything; then see if you can roll for success or fail hilariously.

But, yeah, it helps with the niche hipster area of reddit, too.
Can you make it optional for people who don't want to watch a two second animation every time a skill is checked?

As in, a thing you can switch off in the options menu?
Absolutely this.

It seems like something that's cool maybe once or twice, but then immediately starts to get boring, annoying and feel like my time is being wasted.

Skill gates I find the best solution. You can either open the the lock or you can't.
Skill checks only lead to reload bonanzas unless roll results are fixed / not seeded on reload.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I cant get excited about game entering EA. Especially after demo being available for so long.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
It seems like something that's cool maybe once or twice, but then immediately starts to get boring, annoying and feel like my time is being wasted.

Skill gates I find the best solution. You can either open the the lock or you can't.
Skill checks only lead to reload bonanzas unless roll results are fixed / not seeded on reload.

I disagree.

First of all - I started out with skill gates and found it ... sort of boring. There is no risk/reward; if you create a min-maxed character with max skill, you can just click through the dialogs without thinking. I mean, this is what happened. Skill gates were in the very first public version of the game.

Secondly, most rolls are seeded and permanent. If you fail this one specific skill check, you are done. There are exceptions, like door lockpicking where you spend resources (hairpins) for every attempt, but in dialogs, you don't get to reroll.

And third - Space Wreck is about failure. Skill check does not have to be a gate. In fact, sometimes in Space Wreck it acts as a fork - if you succeed you get one quest, if you fail - you get a different one. And this is where randomness (normalized according to Gaussian laws of nature) comes in and adds to the excitement - you cannot just rely on your maxed-out skill, there's always a risk of failure and then you have to adapt quickly.

Having implemented both ways, I prefer dice rolls.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Secondly, most rolls are seeded and permanent. If you fail this one specific skill check, you are done. There are exceptions, like door lockpicking where you spend resources (hairpins) for every attempt, but in dialogs, you don't get to reroll.
... which kinda turns them into skill gates. You just don't know what gate it'll be before you attempt it.
Fine by me, really.
Anything that isn't "reload until success" is fine by me in the end.

However, your analysis isn't quite correct:
I started out with skill gates and found it ... sort of boring. There is no risk/reward; if you create a min-maxed character with max skill, you can just click through the dialogs without thinking. I mean, this is what happened. Skill gates were in the very first public version of the game.
The risk/reward lies in the character build. By putting the limited number of points into X, you risk losing out of whatever Y would enable you to do.
For an RPG, I find that very fitting.

If that is boring or not is entirely subjective.

For example, I find it extremely frustrating to have a very high skill in something, but then the roll fails critically and I get locked out of something that my char realistically should really be able to do.
Flat skill gates are the most realistic - when you use a skill that you have, there is no "chance", you are either good enough to do it or you are not.

Now, in Space Wreck, as you say, getting locked out by bad RNG might even open up alternative routes, making it less punishing or even rewarding in a way. But most games don't do it like that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom