Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-Maris-lie.gif

Basically, with high FOCUS, your character can smell the bullshit from afar.

Lie detection is now automatic. And, yes, it sometimes opens new options to confront the NPC.

Context: previously detection was manual but it did not fare well in the testing, so we changed it. (If I recall correctly, this was one of the suggestions here, in the Codex thread.)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There aren't gonna be muh pronouns on the character creation screen, right? It's the difference between me buying it or pirating after all DLC come out much like Gamedec.

Maybe the game could use interactible elements like point-mass-like physics or how Dwarf Fortress or Factorio turning into Turing-equivalent systems with their own internals. You have some complex environment interaction with all the drilling holes and inertia stuff. Scope creep and half-baked ambitious systems are what made the Codex classics, after all. And other games like Falcon 4.0 that's being maintained to this day.

Anyway I like what you did with the dithered interface going far beyond only being used for dialogue trees.

Could also use 4K integer scaling along with scalable UI and fonts. Or AI upscaled assets used for 4K. Sure beats Blizzard's remakes with vastly inferior artless 4K sprites for Broodwar Remastered.

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I am pretty sure you will have to pirate the game. :D

I fear I am on a slippery topic here, but here's the deal - we have SEX selection toggle with three positions -

SW-sexes.gif

- Stereotypical MAN
- Stereotypical WOMAN
- Somebody without pronounced gender features (NEUTRAL)

In this selection, you are sort of telling the game how should it react to your character when anything gender-related comes up. Stereotypical MAN or WOMAN is just that - person with very strong male or female features. That is also reflected in the gender bonus - +1 PHYSICAL for males (STRONG!), +1 CHARM for women (beauty!). However, if you wish to play a character that does not fit the stereotype (there are plenty of examples in pop culture) N-sex gives you that option. NEUTRAL is either male or female but in a less prominent way.

Why does this matter?

It's because in the game there are quite a few gender checks that can significantly alter your story (playthrough) - some quests are available only with a special condition, some quests have gender-specific solutions or there can be problems if you are of a specific sex. This selection allows you to tell the game how you should fare in these checks.

For example, an NPC would talk only to WOMAN. That means that both MAN and NEUTRAL would fail it. But, on the other hand, there can be check not MAN - in this case not only WOMAN but also NEUTRAL could have this option available. There are actually at least 3 instances in the demo, so you don't have to believe or trust me blindly, you can see how it works.

P.S.
As for piracy, I, of course, prefer getting your money but still, I would rather if people play the game even without paying instead of not playing at all.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Adding an androgynous option isn't the worst thing that ever happened. But if your game gets any popular and Kotaku reviews it, I can already see the tears:

- Umm sweaty but there's no sex, it's all gender and it's a spectrum.
- Well ackshually I feel excluded as there's no genderbender or female-to-female tranny support.
- Having bonuses according to the character's sex is racist and transphobic, it's 2021 bigot!
- Sexual dimorphism is a transphobic far-right conspiracy theory as was said in Pink News and The Mary Sue.

Of course it's incoherent, counter-factual and self-contradictory. That's the 'beauty' of it.

I trust your judgement and that the above doesn't count as giving you any ideas.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
SW-threaten-with-gun.gif

NPCs don't take it kindly if you barge in with a gun in your hand.

Be careful when meeting new people in Space Wreck - to show your friendly intentions better holster your gun, otherwise, they get all tense. Additionally, if you try to talk to someone while holding a gun in their face, you'll get a situation-appropriate reaction and options to say.

Also, note the "shoot" option. If you succeed in a FOCUS roll, you deliver a fatal shot from point-blank range. While that is an effective way to get rid of a single NPC, you, of course, will become a faction enemy if there are witnesses.

Alphons

Cipher
Also, note the "shoot" option. If you succeed in a FOCUS roll, you deliver a fatal shot from point-blank range. While that is an effective way to get rid of a single NPC, you, of course, will become a faction enemy if there are witnesses.

Is the dialogue option for Shoot the same for every NPC or will there be some variety? Are you going to add unique ones for certain NPCs?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer

Is the dialogue option for Shoot the same for every NPC or will there be some variety? Are you going to add unique ones for certain NPCs?
There is a set of phrases so it's not the same always.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Yesterday I wrote a script to estimate the text amount for the Space Wreck (the data is not obvious).

Turns out it's freaking
  • 11 000 lines
  • 136 000 words

Of course, these statistics on their own do not say much about the quality of the game, if anything it could mean walls-of-text and bloat. But here's the thing - pretty much all of it is optional. The game has many paths to completion and even then, if I recall correctly, you don't have to speak to a single NPC to finish the game. After all, if you have low speech or CHARM you actually won't be able to talk to a lot of the characters even if you wanted. Or text will turn to ...bla bla bla bla.. for those who are critically low on FOCUS. And it's a 3-5 hour game.

Anyways, I found this surprising, wanted to share. I mean, I was expecting 80k words previously.

P.S.
Disclaimer - this is from a snapshot of the current full game build and is somewhat approximate.

Last edited:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Indeed, we have reworked the layout of UI once again.

space-wreck-23-01-2022-17-19-42.png

Now everything is centered around the screen slate and positioned on the bottom. This way your eyes don't have to jump around, all you need is in one place.

space-wreck-23-01-2022-17-20-17.png

The screen slate - your main in-game tool - scales up once opened, so it is easier to read.

In retrospect, we have changed the user interface quite a bit over the last year, see the previous layouts below -

space-wreck-17-11-2020-20-27-33.png

space-wreck-08-10-2021-10-14-33.png

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
And what's your general timeframe for that day 1 purchase phase? :)
I don't want to jump the gun with any dates - we've missed a couple of deadlines before. However, I can tell you that we are at the internal BETA stage for the full version (not EA), and at some point, I would like to move into closed BETA with a growing number of external testers.

But first, we are planning to take part in the Steam Next Fest this Feb with the latest version of the demo.

ironmask

Arbiter
I hope atom team and other future fallout knock offs will look at this game for inspiration. Some of these ideas are genius.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I don't want to jump the gun with any dates - we've missed a couple of deadlines before. However, I can tell you that we are at the internal BETA stage for the full version (not EA), and at some point, I would like to move into closed BETA with a growing number of external testers.

S'okay. I need to atone for contributing to numanuma's kickstarter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom