Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spaceshock - Sci-Fi Turn Based Dungeon Crawl

Modron

Arcane
My main dislike about most blobbers is they are primarily dungeon delving, for me the meat and potatoes of rpgs have always been towns. That said I have enjoyed Devil Whiskey, the wizardry and RoA series but for the most part those games had smaller dungeons (RoA had some long ones but the combat in those served to break the tedium enough for me). I know some will chide me for being popamole in my opinion but, to me, really long dungeons quickly become grindy chores.

Still would take a blobber any day over any new installment in the dragon age series.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
-It's a real time
this saddens me.
when are we going to have something like a new wizardry?

it's good that its ruleset impedes the retarded "hack-step back-repeat until enemy dies" but still...
i want turns or action, not a half-assed mixture of both.

1. This game looks awesome.

2. I agree 100%, if you are going with this style you have to introduce an authentic turn-based system. Real time dodge and retreat is not as interesting as true turn-based combat strategy.

Modron

Arcane
-It's a real time
this saddens me.
when are we going to have something like a new wizardry?

it's good that its ruleset impedes the retarded "hack-step back-repeat until enemy dies" but still...
i want turns or action, not a half-assed mixture of both.

1. This game looks awesome.

2. I agree 100%, if you are going with this style you have to introduce an authentic turn-based system. Real time dodge and retreat is not as interesting as true turn-based combat strategy.

I am glad the game penalizes dancing never got into Grimrock because of that derpyness; as long as Spaceshock has pausing for issuing commands and enough things to do during I could enjoy it (would not be that inherently different from FTL combat if you think about it).

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Looks promising, anti-cheating mechanisms are cool, no more dancing during the fights. Although the current implemntation of combat may become repetive and dull rather fast. If it was turn base with lots of special abilities used both by your party and enemies it would be pure :incline:. Right now it's just "OK", but I'll observe the project.

Themadcow

Augur
Quite frankly I don't care if its a real time blobber or turn based blobber. If it means more interest in the genre then it's incline.

If it was a case that the turn based blobber sub-genre was under threat from the popularity of real time (as traditional turn based RPG's when Baldur's Gate was relased) then I'd have an issue. But there is feck all turn based blobbers being produced (*STARES AT NEXT MONDAY*) then then I can only see benefit in some more attention for the blobber genre as a whole.

And it's in space, so extra props for that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If something on a LoG level comes out of this then I'll be happy, but my god was that trailer bad. Showing exactly the same one thing with the same one enemy, it's about 3 minutes long and I almost dozed off there.

Jonsnovv

Ideas Unbound Studio
Developer
I would like to tell you all, this is the best we can get from the community. Many thanks for all comments, both possitive and negative and suggestions how to make the game for you better and bring to you more fun to play.
We appreciate how the people is speaking about the Space Shock like about the game which is ready to release, they leave many awesome screaming comments which is encouraging or the comments with some suggestions for improvements.

There is a reason why we are on Greenlight-Concepts and not on Greenlight or Kickstarter at this time. I am not willing to start the Space Shock Kickstarter campaign with only several sketches, thousands of promises and empty words. We are still employed at big companies and we are working hard on the game prototype in our spare time afterwork and over the weekends. We will terminate our job contracts before the Kickstarter campaign become alive. We are very excited to work on the project like this.
Being on Steam Greenlight Concepts is a great chance to know how would the players want to play this RPG Dungeon (Space) crawler.

If we succeed on Kickstarter we will be able to release the game in 2014. How the game will appear at release date depends on how much money we will be able to earn for this project from pledgers on Kickstarter or funding companies.
The base game will be ordinary Dungeon crawler like mentioned Legend of Grimrock (great game) set in Space with many improvements in this genre.
If we achieve higher funding goal the Space Shock will turn into something more advanced with more tactical combat system like in Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age with combat pause, split party, more than three party members or with completely turn based combast system.

The current combat system is unbalanced, most of abilities (both player's and enemy's) are in development process. Any feedback is very appreciated and welcome.

If someone is willing to spend his time for leaving the commment (possitive or negative) that is absolutely great for us. You have been or you might be interested or excited of Space Shock in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you (players) soon. Please support us on Steam or Facebook, leave comments or spread the word, everything is very appreciated and will be helpful to make this game great. More announcements and updates will come soon.

Kind regards
Jonsnovv
(author of Space Shock)

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you add turn-based combat:

:takemymoney:
The probably won't, because the are trying to remedy the ailments of RT blobbers by various other means. Why they won't just bite the bullet and go TB instead I don't understand, but wishing for it seems futile to me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
As the game is, I'd probably back it on kickstarter. If combat was turn-based, my wallet would experience sudden, explosive diarrhoea and excrete money all over your backer tracker!

Indranys

Savant
I think it's good for what it is in this day and age of decline.
But personally I would rather play something like Realms of Arcania or Ultima Underworld.
Why don't you guys develop RoA-esqe game with isometric turn based combat, minimum filler combats, great quests, and immersive exploration??
It's clearly better than real time blobbers.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
But personally I would rather play something like Realms of Arcania or Ultima Underworld.
Why don't you guys develop RoA-esqe game with isometric turn based combat, minimum filler combats, great quests, and immersive exploration??

1. Real time blobbers are easier to make than something like Ultima Underoworld or System Shock.

2. Legend of Grimrock was more succesfull than anyone (?) would have believed, so clearly there is a market.

Castanova

Prophet
The graphics look great and the concept has potential. Too early to tell much else about it. If it's going to be a grid-based blobber, though, please make it so the dungeon itself is a challenge (puzzles and exploration-wise) and also please do not implement respawning enemies.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I would like to tell you all, this is the best we can get from the community. Many thanks for all comments, both possitive and negative and suggestions how to make the game for you better and bring to you more fun to play.
We appreciate how the people is speaking about the Space Shock like about the game which is ready to release, they leave many awesome screaming comments which is encouraging or the comments with some suggestions for improvements.

There is a reason why we are on Greenlight-Concepts and not on Greenlight or Kickstarter at this time. I am not willing to start the Space Shock Kickstarter campaign with only several sketches, thousands of promises and empty words. We are still employed at big companies and we are working hard on the game prototype in our spare time afterwork and over the weekends. We will terminate our job contracts before the Kickstarter campaign become alive. We are very excited to work on the project like this.
Being on Steam Greenlight Concepts is a great chance to know how would the players want to play this RPG Dungeon (Space) crawler.

If we succeed on Kickstarter we will be able to release the game in 2014. How the game will appear at release date depends on how much money we will be able to earn for this project from pledgers on Kickstarter or funding companies.
The base game will be ordinary Dungeon crawler like mentioned Legend of Grimrock (great game) set in Space with many improvements in this genre.
If we achieve higher funding goal the Space Shock will turn into something more advanced with more tactical combat system like in Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age with combat pause, split party, more than three party members or with completely turn based combast system.

The current combat system is unbalanced, most of abilities (both player's and enemy's) are in development process. Any feedback is very appreciated and welcome.

If someone is willing to spend his time for leaving the commment (possitive or negative) that is absolutely great for us. You have been or you might be interested or excited of Space Shock in the future.

We look forward to hearing from you (players) soon. Please support us on Steam or Facebook, leave comments or spread the word, everything is very appreciated and will be helpful to make this game great. More announcements and updates will come soon.

Kind regards
Jonsnovv
(author of Space Shock)

Please make it turnbased and announce it as such on your kickstarter. Let us know when that starts. If possible, add in another party member.

Can you give any info on the number of classes, and what sets classes apart?
Also, some info on talents: do you get them at each level up?
What's the max level planned at this time?
Does the entire game take place aboard a spaceship, or on planets as well?
Will there be horror elements in the game, like system shock 2?

1. Real time blobbers are easier to make than something like Ultima Underoworld or System Shock.

I doubt that. UW and SS were single pc. SS did not have real char gen, and there were no talents/feats to be taken at level up. This game looks far more complex.

Indranys

Savant

2. Legend of Grimrock was more succesfull than anyone (?) would have believed, so clearly there is a market.

Sadly it's true bro.
In the end it's all about money.
Maybe I'm still butthurt because Thorvalla kickstarter failure.
Fargo's Wasteland 2 is my last hope. And DARGHUL looks pretty awesome too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But we fall back to that question of if people are really into Grimrock-like games or it was just due it's great graphics and oldschool hype... Remenber, Steam achievments show that only 8% of the players beated the game, and that 60% of them didn't more than 1-2 hours.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I doubt that. UW and SS were single pc. SS did not have real char gen, and there were no talents/feats to be taken at level up. This game looks far more complex.
There isn't much complexity on char gens and character development systems. You can come with up something useable in a free weekend.

The hard part is developing the actual game, and I guarantee something with 3D level design like System Shock or UW is much harder to make than a RT blobber.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I seem to recall the designers themselves said that making the game grid based was much easier than making it true 3D and free form.
So on a limited budget it makes sense.

But we fall back to that question of if people are really into Grimrock-like games or it was just due it's great graphics and oldschool hype... Remenber, Steam achievments show that only 8% of the players beated the game, and that 60% of them didn't more than 1-2 hours.

That is disappointing numbers, but are they significantly lower than that of other games on Steam?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom