Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs - Weaver's Realms expansion coming September 30th

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Necro shits troops as long as you have mana to pay their upkeep. And since gold is not really useful to you as a necromancer(only for buildings and buying stuff from cities) you can change gold into mana in every turn. But you need souls and other stuff to create undead, so you must be scouting and pillaging till you have a large amount of crafting resources.

Don't like much of their spells except undead summons. Weak effect considering their cost and that mana can be spend on armies.

Edit: Also game really don't favor most of necro's tools for autoresolve. Especially after getting vampires and lifestealing. Kills half of your units while you can easly end without any scratch.
Dont like the necro spells either, you have cannibalize that is ok to heal your undead troops and change one live troops into skeleton , you have zombify, which turns a live unit into zombie but i dont see the point in using it. You have the raise undead spell usable on towns that grant low tier units, not usefull too. I am not impressed by the debuff spells either .You have already a ton of materials in stock , much more than needed to get low tier units , so those spells are redundant and not worth the cost. Maybe i was fucked by the rng, i never had enough high tier souls and materials. Low tier undeads are not that good, cost upkeep, you can lose them easily, while an alchemist you never lose any units thanks to heal magic and potions and those troops keep leveling up.
One good thing with necro i noticed is all their units cross water, problem is if you had one live unit you plan to cannibalize later, it will block all the stack till you remove it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Necro shits troops as long as you have mana to pay their upkeep. And since gold is not really useful to you as a necromancer(only for buildings and buying stuff from cities) you can change gold into mana in every turn. But you need souls and other stuff to create undead, so you must be scouting and pillaging till you have a large amount of crafting resources.

Don't like much of their spells except undead summons. Weak effect considering their cost and that mana can be spend on armies.

Edit: Also game really don't favor most of necro's tools for autoresolve. Especially after getting vampires and lifestealing. Kills half of your units while you can easly end without any scratch.
Dont like the necro spells either, you have cannibalize that is ok to heal your undead troops and change one live troops into skeleton , you have zombify, which turns a live unit into zombie but i dont see the point in using it. You have the raise undead spell usable on towns that grant low tier units, not usefull too. I am not impressed by the debuff spells either .You have already a ton of materials in stock , much more than needed to get low tier units , so those spells are redundant and not worth the cost. Maybe i was fucked by the rng, i never had enough high tier souls and materials. Low tier undeads are not that good, cost upkeep, you can lose them easily, while an alchemist you never lose any units thanks to heal magic and potions and those troops keep leveling up.
One good thing with necro i noticed is all their units cross water, problem is if you had one live unit you plan to cannibalize later, it will block all the stack till you remove it.
The point is to lose them. Send them as army that softens your target first so you can easily finish it off with your main stack. Alchemists do that by spending one use potions. Artificers are only ones that are supposed to buff their main army with permanent bonuses and beat everything directly.

ArchAngel

Arcane
More balance issues. They gave some heroes high level ability called lightning storm or some name like that. Description says it hits 5 enemy or allied targets within 2 tile radius from the center you pick. So I tried using it twice in a way that it only covers enemy targets, text of the spell was similar to fire version (I think Immolation) where it says it is 5 attacks only on random enemies (and it can hit one guy 5 times if that is only target available which makes it worth sacrificing 3 actions and some focus over just attacking one guys 3 times) so I assumed if I waste 3 actions and some focus and do some smart targeting I can get 5 white damage hits on one or two enemies.
But it turns out this useless spell actually hits 5 random spots within that big area... This shitty spell goes into same basket of "smart" ideas like free action that gives 3 actions to Enslaved creatures or Cleanse Ailment that is also free action. Or resistance buffs that let you get 100% resistance to certain elements and do some fights with no effort.

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK finally finished the game at end of week 37 with my balanced Alchemist. It took forever last few weeks because I had 4 apprentice + 1 hero and I was trying to be efficient with all of them running all over the map trying to do as much as possible.
Funny thing, for last battle I didn't even need to use my hero stack, I just sent two stacks of my 3 bear+3 firebugs and killed the dude lol

ArchAngel

Arcane
I must add that I got burnt out by the end. Game starts strong and a lot of fun but turns into endless grind of same battles. I had to manually do 95% of battles because game would not accept that my team easily beats enemy team with no casualty. And even if I could autocomplete with no casualty it would cause almost everyone to drop to half health and later enemies often moved a bit to come and attack my half health stack so I didn't want to risk that.

Parabalus

Arcane
I must add that I got burnt out by the end. Game starts strong and a lot of fun but turns into endless grind of same battles. I had to manually do 95% of battles because game would not accept that my team easily beats enemy team with no casualty. And even if I could autocomplete with no casualty it would cause almost everyone to drop to half health and later enemies often moved a bit to come and attack my half health stack so I didn't want to risk that.

Think you just dragged it out too long, I got burned out already by W20 and thankfully finished it by then.

Clearing the demon wastes was incredibly annoying for the reasons you mentioned, though there are some ways to alleviate it - you can win battles even with damaged troops, mass heal spell after battles, and auto-rez traits on units. Also, Healing 3 full heals units after each battle.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
How do you guys finish so fast, I barely managed to get my shit rolling by Week 15

ArchAngel

Arcane
How do you guys finish so fast, I barely managed to get my shit rolling by Week 15
They made good or lucky choices. I took 37 weeks because when deciding where to go after starting location I decided to move south into Undead lands which was a huge waste of time and I could not even win the main quest there and had to run away. If I immediately went more West and reached Sevenkeeps or went East to get easy access to Paladins and +1 slot in stack it would have been very different.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
They made good or lucky choices. I took 37 weeks because when deciding where to go after starting location I decided to move south into Undead lands which was a huge waste of time and I could not even win the main quest there and had to run away. If I immediately went more West and reached Sevenkeeps or went East to get easy access to Paladins and +1 slot in stack it would have been very different.

I had the paladin extension in the human barracks by w7, which I used to steamroll the undead and demon lands, while clearing the north and killing the undead circle mage with halberdiers + alchemists (freeze potion OP).

ArchAngel

Arcane

I had the paladin extension in the human barracks by w7, which I used to steamroll the undead and demon lands, while clearing the north and killing the undead circle mage with halberdiers + alchemists (freeze potion OP).
Exactly, you chose a right direction to move your heroes/tower.
I in addition to not choosing right direction didn't scout enough with single units/summons as I thought they could die easily when solo. I missed on a lot of extra free mana and gold early and didn't know what was around me.
After week 20 I always had like 5+ solo units just scouting the whole map or picking up plants/mining.

Salvo

Arcane

Week 7? How did you even grind the rep?

What difficulty?

Parabalus

Arcane

Week 7? How did you even grind the rep?

What difficulty?
Balanced, it's the first city east of the goldenfields start. The 3 quests get you to tier 4 rep.

You can cast Gift to get rep quickly too.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another bug I found. I finally got Follower spell and I could not cast it on anyone. All my units, Beast or not had big X over their portrait when I wanted to cast spell on anyone..
Also I had no pages 4 for any of the spell school and I didn't get to use any T4 units.. I think the whole spell and t4 system is badly implemented and too random.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I still felt like playing Spellforce and could not wait for this one to be patched for another run so I got Spellforce 3 Reforged to play since I never finished it originally as it bugged out in one of the maps and I could not bring myself to start it over since save before it was like 5h back and it was not guaranteed it would not bug out again..

Mortmal

Arcane
Theres extremely good combos you may or not find according your luck. For exemple undead hero + the summon demon tome. The undead hero does not suffer bleed when using the tome, so you can summon at will, those are weak and die easily , but you couple it with a lich if again you are lucky to get enough to craft one, it has mass reanimation ability. That grants you infinite fodder while your other units kill with range.
Of course as mentioned by others, you have to do every battle manually cause it doesnt take your strategy into account when auto calculating.End game gets tedious with trivial fights without challenge you absolutely have to do manually since it consider your stack will be wiped.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
New patch live - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1581770/view/3657523159362470882 - some nerd who knows how to work the machinery should repost it with an embed probably.

Custom difficulty and mage choices are in. Resistance stacking nerfed, demoralizing enslavement chains nerfed, elemental spam nerfed. Basically Alchemist gets fucked heavily, but no major Artificer nerfs (you can no longer life leech undead, big whoop) - what are they smoking? Everything else seems minor. Overall looking gud.
Everything looks good. But yea possibly not enough nerfs for Artificer. But lets see how it plays with current nerfs. It will be much harder to stack resistances now.
It is OK for Alchemist, Elemental spam was not a critical tactic and I never used it in real battles as it was too good and needed nerfs. It is very cheap to mass craft in mid game and beyond. But Alchemist has enough of very powerful potions to not feel this a lot. Also you can just presummon elementals instead of waiting for mid battle situations.

Parabalus

Arcane
New patch live - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1581770/view/3657523159362470882 - some nerd who knows how to work the machinery should repost it with an embed probably.

Custom difficulty and mage choices are in. Resistance stacking nerfed, demoralizing enslavement chains nerfed, elemental spam nerfed. Basically Alchemist gets fucked heavily, but no major Artificer nerfs (you can no longer life leech undead, big whoop) - what are they smoking? Everything else seems minor. Overall looking gud.
Everything looks good. But yea possibly not enough nerfs for Artificer. But lets see how it plays with current nerfs. It will be much harder to stack resistances now.
It is OK for Alchemist, Elemental spam was not a critical tactic and I never used it in real battles as it was too good and needed nerfs. It is very cheap to mass craft in mid game and beyond. But Alchemist has enough of very powerful potions to not feel this a lot. Also you can just presummon elementals instead of waiting for mid battle situations.

Don't think the resistance nerf will hit too hard, plenty of other runes to abuse, though they nerfed them too.

Lifeleech only working on mortal units is a huge nerf, but will also hit some enemy combatants.

Clearing the demon wastes will be much harder and costlier now.

Also

• Balanced Magic Coffer/Gift/Reputation Increase spell values

wonder what the values are, probably nerfed to uselessness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom