Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs - Weaver's Realms expansion coming September 30th

ArchAngel

Arcane
Artificer sounds very strong from everything I read and it will need many nerfs before I try it.
My plan is to start a new run as Necro once they patch the game a bit more. There is still some problems like Clear aliment being 0 AP.

Atm I just finished 2nd Circle Mage (this one also using Undead so he fell easy to my anti-undead armies).
And I did use Stone Shapers in some of my armies, they are decent physical ranged with healing but nothing more than that. I like Tiara priestess and Alchemist more. Alchemists are pretty busted with access to very strong potions.

Also I was finally able to add a bit more high level beasts to my armies like Griphons, T3 Orc Riders (they count as beasts :D), Basilisks and some T3 flying jelly thing that moves like crazy and has white damage AoE attack.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really like a game that leaves its mechanics open for the player to try and break at their own leisure.

Some of it might get nerfed a bit eventually, but I don't see how they could possibly remove all the potential OP combos and that's honestly the sign of a very interesting and fun game.

*this post was sponsored by the Guild Of The "Fuck Balance!"-Committee

ArchAngel

Arcane
They do not need to remove it, just nerf it a bit. Like you should not be able to get easy 100% resistance to stuff. And life leech + unlimited retaliations does not work. Life leech amount will need to be nerfed to 25% or both need nerfs.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
My plan is to start a new run as Necro once they patch the game a bit more. There is still some problems like Clear aliment being 0 AP.
Well, that I think is once again a working as intended spell. It's classified in the game as free action, so you're only limited by focus there. Same with the slaver skill that restores all APs of slave units. I'm pretty sure there were a couple more like that.

Still, that's not to say the game is bug free. I got one yesterday that would be really bad if you don't notice it and reload. When you have a stack of units inside a tower, and you recall another one to it, that new stack automatically takes a step to the side as they can't occupy the same space. But say if your first stack is sitting inside a tower that's floating above water and the new one doesn't have the ability to swim or fly, the second stack vanishes from the map completely. Good thing I caught it right away.

So after I'm done with Artificer, I think I'll shelve it for a good while. Probably until some content updates or maybe an expansion. Then it's Necro time.
I could see Clear Aliment being free action even if I do not agree with that as it is very powerful and something only players use but Slaver skill should not be free, that is a huge balance issue if true. It should cost 1 or 2 AP to give another unit 3 AP. Knight has similar ability but he gives same amount of AP that he loses. Slaves get stat penalty so they should get a bit more but that should still cost caster 1 or 2 AP.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I got like 10+ stacks of nothing but my 3 bears+3 firebugs armies and it is irritating to move them all each turn but at least my tower is safe from whatever enemy can throw at me while my apprentices roam around the map trying to collect quests.
Also I ran out of spells to research lol as I have not gotten any new pages in a long time. I only got 2 death pages from beating two undead circle mages in last 10 weeks.
Now I am just power leveling my proficiency to get to lvl 100 so I can hire 5th apprentice and finish the game.

Skorpion

Educated
I wish I had more time to play but Ive already learned a lot from yall's conversation. This game is seriously good and now I want to restart again just to try out necro or alchemy but Im making myself slowly play out this attempt win or lose.
If anyone here has played both alch and necro which did you find more fun? Going to go with one of those two after this eventual campaign ends.

Salvo

Arcane
Haven't played Necro yet, but Alchemist completely triviliazies fights IF you have enough ingredients

IT's wallet mage

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Necro shits troops as long as you have mana to pay their upkeep. And since gold is not really useful to you as a necromancer(only for buildings and buying stuff from cities) you can change gold into mana in every turn. But you need souls and other stuff to create undead, so you must be scouting and pillaging till you have a large amount of crafting resources.

Don't like much of their spells except undead summons. Weak effect considering their cost and that mana can be spend on armies.

Edit: Also game really don't favor most of necro's tools for autoresolve. Especially after getting vampires and lifestealing. Kills half of your units while you can easly end without any scratch.

Parabalus

Arcane
They also sneakily removed that thing someone mentioned where you could reload crossbows with Dispel. Doesn't work anymore. Also, I like how I tried resizing that image, it didn't work so I said screw it, go back, but somehow the stupid botched version is the one that got saved. Reee.

Should have kept my mouth shut.

Makes crossbowmen/sentries and the hero much worse though.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Crossbowmen seems powerful at first but they cannot attack over obstacles which can be problematic in some maps (though you can save scum battle maps) Elven archers get a similar skill on level up, on action attack dealing increased damage and they got better other stuff (swimming for starters)

Salvo

Arcane
Crossbowmen seems powerful at first but they cannot attack over obstacles which can be problematic in some maps (though you can save scum battle maps) Elven archers get a similar skill on level up, on action attack dealing increased damage and they got better other stuff (swimming for starters)
Archers are just better in general since any attack buff (from Guardian, for example) gets repeated x number of attacks, which means single big attacks are penalized
Also the battles don't last long enough for crossbowmen to reload, you waste too much time

All in all I don't think it can be fixed, if they buff them they risk becoming one-shot machines, the only plausible change is making reload cost 2 AP meaning they can reload and shoot in the same turn if they don't move, which wouldn't be bad

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Demons are irritating , they are often resistant to White and/or Elemental and they got good armor so also physical does not do much. My vs undead focused armies do worst vs Demons.

Parabalus

Arcane
Demons are irritating , they are often resistant to White and/or Elemental and they got good armor so also physical does not do much. My vs undead focused armies do worst vs Demons.

I cleared the whole region with 3 paladins, they worked wonders.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Sure but I only have 1 paladin in my team :D
Also all enemy stacks get stronger over time. Now in Week 30 they are 1000 strenght stacks.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane

Sure but I only have 1 paladin in my team :D
Also all enemy stacks get stronger over time. Now in Week 30 they are 1000 strenght stacks.

Yeah but the stack strength isn't that important after 500, game doesn't take into account everything. That 3 paladin stack was stuck at 500ish, demons being mowed down were around 800.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/127317-spellforce-conquest-of-eo-reviews.html

COGconnected 82/100:

Fans of the Spellforce franchise may balk at the absence of the usual RTS/RPG mashup mechanics. Spellforce: Conquest of Eo hops on the turn-based train, but the game is every bit as engaging as earlier entries in the series. It’s just different. Even players a little fatigued by the glut of turn-based RPGs should give it a go, as the game’s combat is accessible and fun. In all honesty, I’m personally hoping the next numbered game in the franchise returns to its roots, but this change in direction has its own pleasures.
GameWatcher 7/10:

If you’ve grown up with SpellForce games and are eagerly awaiting the next sweeping, epic adventure, there’s a chance you might be a bit disappointed with Conquest of Eo. It feels like a bit of a step back for the franchise in terms of scale and mechanics, and although it tells a serviceable story, it lacks the epic feel of the series’ past. For anyone else though, particularly those looking for a new tactical RTS game to get stuck into, it’s a solid experience with plenty to do.
GameSpace 7/10:

Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is a delightful spin on the 4X strategy genre. However, it remains just a step away from being truly ambitious with most systems continuing to play the second fiddle to the overall exploration and management.
GodisaGeek 7/10:

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo certainly looks the part, with detailed maps and well-designed units, but it plays its safe in terms of audio and visual design. In fact, playing it safe is kind of the theme here, as very little about Conquest of Eo feels risky or new. Yes, it’s stripped away a lot of what made the franchise unique, but it hasn’t replaced it with anything that feels exciting enough to make up for it. It feels like an entry-level RTS, when this franchise should be -and really could be – swinging for the big leagues now.
Softpedia 8.5/10:

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo has an interesting structure and does a great job of mixing map-driven strategy and tactical engagements. Each of the three wizard archetypes plays very differently and there’s a ton of content to engage with. The world of Eo is beautifully represented, although it’s pretty standard when it comes to fantasy universes.

I would have liked for the three core wizard types to offer even more variety in strategic and tactical situations. But campaigns offer a lot of variety, especially if players are ready to try out new approaches. SpellForce: Conquest of Eo is a solid entry in the franchise that should have aimed for more innovative mechanics.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah it is a good game but for 1-2 playthroughs mostly. With some random map generator and 2 or 3 more main wizard type (an enchanter, a wild, nature magic expert e.t.c.) this game will go places.

I'm nearly end of my necro run. Once I got some tier 3 units and getting heal undead perk for casters I started rolling the map my eyes closed. Using Baron Eldec's soul to create a vampire (or blood golem) is ridiculous. Now that vampire can tank everything thanks to leech and heavy defences, while my lich and tormentor doing the dirty job.
Free zombies I got from plaguebearer and zombie plague is ridiculous too. Combine it with free milita spam from the cities, you'll need all the defence you need for lodges and allflame locations.

Skorpion

Educated

COGconnected 82/100:

Fans of the Spellforce franchise may balk at the absence of the usual RTS/RPG mashup mechanics. Spellforce: Conquest of Eo hops on the turn-based train, but the game is every bit as engaging as earlier entries in the series. It’s just different. Even players a little fatigued by the glut of turn-based RPGs should give it a go, as the game’s combat is accessible and fun. In all honesty, I’m personally hoping the next numbered game in the franchise returns to its roots, but this change in direction has its own pleasures.
GameWatcher 7/10:

If you’ve grown up with SpellForce games and are eagerly awaiting the next sweeping, epic adventure, there’s a chance you might be a bit disappointed with Conquest of Eo. It feels like a bit of a step back for the franchise in terms of scale and mechanics, and although it tells a serviceable story, it lacks the epic feel of the series’ past. For anyone else though, particularly those looking for a new tactical RTS game to get stuck into, it’s a solid experience with plenty to do.
GameSpace 7/10:

Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is a delightful spin on the 4X strategy genre. However, it remains just a step away from being truly ambitious with most systems continuing to play the second fiddle to the overall exploration and management.
GodisaGeek 7/10:

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo certainly looks the part, with detailed maps and well-designed units, but it plays its safe in terms of audio and visual design. In fact, playing it safe is kind of the theme here, as very little about Conquest of Eo feels risky or new. Yes, it’s stripped away a lot of what made the franchise unique, but it hasn’t replaced it with anything that feels exciting enough to make up for it. It feels like an entry-level RTS, when this franchise should be -and really could be – swinging for the big leagues now.
Softpedia 8.5/10:

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo has an interesting structure and does a great job of mixing map-driven strategy and tactical engagements. Each of the three wizard archetypes plays very differently and there’s a ton of content to engage with. The world of Eo is beautifully represented, although it’s pretty standard when it comes to fantasy universes.

I would have liked for the three core wizard types to offer even more variety in strategic and tactical situations. But campaigns offer a lot of variety, especially if players are ready to try out new approaches. SpellForce: Conquest of Eo is a solid entry in the franchise that should have aimed for more innovative mechanics.
Two of those reviews say RTS and one calls it an RTS/RPG mashup. Fucks sake why are you quoting this drivel :roll:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

COGconnected 82/100:

GameWatcher 7/10:

GameSpace 7/10:

GodisaGeek 7/10:

Softpedia 8.5/10:

Two of those reviews say RTS and one calls it an RTS/RPG mashup. Fucks sake why are you quoting this drivel :roll:
One of them says you can't unequip glyphs as an Artificer, proving that he hasn't played past the 2-3 hour mark at most. At times one can't help but feel that retard is short for review tard.
There is a spell that removes all the glyphs. But spell opening is pretty random. You could go trough the whole game without getting certain spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom