Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - strategy RPG from Fantasy General 2 devs

ArchAngel

Arcane
[Also I found radical means to fight crazy undead that are attacking me. I done two tower upgrades (20% death res and -50% white res for enemies) and then I spam Jelly Critters and Wisps (both do white damage). I can make 6 Jelly per turn and they only cost 1 gold per unit and they die after 2 turns anyways softening up enemy stack so my main army can finish it off easily. I Just reduced enemy 1100 str stack to 550 and finished them off easily with my 850 army with no use of potions :D
Guardian magic is basically easy mode against undead, but in the current playthrough I have yet to find a single grimoire page for white magic, so I'm struggling a lot more than in my previous (and now aborted) one where I started with that specialization.
Yea, I don't have that magic. But one of my heroes is a Mentalist and he got a spell that lets me turn target weapons into white magic. That in combination with Priestess of Tiara that can buff target resistance to Death by 50% lets me have a good anti Undead stack. Another stack has a melee hero with same priestess that gives him 100% death magic resistance due to glyph that gives me 50% death resistance. He also has parry ability. I just put him next to biggest group of enemies and let them murder themselves.

Parabalus

Arcane
Upgrade human barracks with the most powerful extension.
I'm struggling to find the reagents good enough to do the formula, though.

On a side note, am I imagining things or generally speaking ranged units are OVERWHELMINGLY more effective than melee ones?
It seems to me that most melee units, even in tier 2, are crushed way too easily when facing any less-than-basic opponents, while nukers and archers dispense death as if it was nothing.

Also, in nine scenarios out of ten even with the strongest offensive melee guarding seems to be a lot more effective than attacking.

I used a 3 death artifact shield, used that with a bunch of 2 death ones.

I got a Rhino rune which lets melee stun on attack. There's probably other good ones like that, probably a lifesteal one, which makes melee useful again.

Using a tanky melee+ranged support is working out very well.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
It seems to me that most melee units, even in tier 2, are crushed way too easily when facing any less-than-basic opponents, while nukers and archers dispense death as if it was nothing.

Also, in nine scenarios out of ten even with the strongest offensive melee guarding seems to be a lot more effective than attacking.
I keep seeing this sentiment but it makes no sense to me. Sure, guarding is cool if you can swing it, but usually, once the AI gets near enough, it just ignores AoOs and zones of control and just books it for your backline that dies in one turn. To prevent it I absolutely must have a beefy frontline that can mill their next turn actions, otherwise, it's bye-bye archers and healers, and you just can't root em all. But other than that, yes, ranged damage with some buffs is king.
2 or 3 melee can hold their front line on most maps. For open ones 3 is always enough, 2 is often enough if you can find a choke point.

I keep seeing this sentiment but it makes no sense to me. Sure, guarding is cool if you can swing it, but usually, once the AI gets near enough, it just ignores AoOs and zones of control and just books it for your backline that dies in one turn. To prevent it I absolutely must have a beefy frontline that can mill their next turn actions, otherwise, it's bye-bye archers and healers, and you just can't root em all. But other than that, yes, ranged damage with some buffs is king.
Aside from what ArchAngel just pointed, I literally meant that for the individual unit (let alone the whole army) guarding is usually leagues more efficient for survivability.
Attacking usually means receiving almost as much damage as you are inflicting, while guarding spares you the damage, increases your survivability and (map permitting) it may even create a choke point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Aside from what ArchAngel just pointed, I literally meant that for the individual unit (let alone the whole army) guarding is usually leagues more efficient for survivability.
Attacking usually means receiving almost as much damage as you are inflicting, while guarding spares you the damage, increases your survivability and (map permitting) it may even create a choke point.
There are some characters that do better attacking due to abilities they have like T2 from bandit group that does not provoke AoO and does more damage when flanking and moves a lot. You can use those to move into flank, get two attacks while enemy only retaliates once. Or Knights that get a lot more damage when charging than defending.
But for sure many melee are made and work better as defensive characters.
But also there are units like Vampires or Paladins that do not really die if they die in battle but your team wins. For such you might as well attack as much as you want as you don't really care about keeping them alive.

Also I noticed that leveling makes a big difference for many units. Some might seem on paper weaker at lvl 1 but with levels they get awesome abilities. Like the Knights on paper seem weaker than Paladins with both being T3 of same faction but at lvl 10 my Knight got ability that lets him give his 3 action points to any other of my units which can be battle changing in many situations, especially if you use them as front line tanks that will just mostly retaliate.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How do you remove a spell from a unit?
Upper right corner,the middle button of the five on top is active spells. Just click on the X and it will be dispelled.

LoL i made a big mistake and invested in to a stack of keepers.....very useless unit,paladins are ten times better for sure.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also the best paladins are hired from the audale,since they get ork hatered thus +6 damage to orks,just stack all the bonus damage against undead and demons,you will have a killing machines,also paladins have the fucking javelins. Top tier unit for now. Tho i have seen some strong demons that bread fire that could kill healers....sad.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Guys is the game worth playing now or should i wait for patches. Bought it already
I just had a combat freeze during enemy turn when fighting Orc riders so you might want to wait for some patches.
Also it has some serious mid game balance issues.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, there are some big quests to get rep with some cities (like Seven Keeps), but I already had max rep with them because of my lodge generating 4 rep per day ;d It was kinda anticlimactic because of it. They were like "you've finally solved the crisis splitting the city in half! You are a hero of the people and a champion to the king!". Bitch, I already was.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, there are some big quests to get rep with some cities (like Seven Keeps), but I already had max rep with them because of my lodge generating 4 rep per day ;d It was kinda anticlimactic because of it. They were like "you've finally solved the crisis splitting the city in half! You are a hero of the people and a champion to the king!". Bitch, I already was.

You can use the rep to gold spell for massive gains if you have max rep.

ArchAngel

Arcane
mid game balance issues.
When does mid game start and what are these issues?
Around week 20. If you just played "normally" and follow main quest, do nothing special around that time you will anger one of the circle magi and he/she starts a war with you which now results in constant attacks by very strong doom stacks every 5 turns or so. Those doom stacks are just spawned every few turns and ignore any need for logistics from the enemy.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That sounds like bearded jew spell. Real men throw flasks at enemies and run away :D

Skorpion

Educated

I havent gotten this spell yet but thats pretty cool. It seems from reading this thread that there is a lot of differences in peoples play throughs which makes me excited for my next one.
In my first attempt the undead took me down because I was totally unprepared for their spawn stacks but the more you know!
Also, where does one get these paladins? I never came across them but I also didnt get to upgrade my tower much before the undead guy smashed me.

Parabalus

Arcane
Also, where does one get these paladins? I never came across them but I also didnt get to upgrade my tower much before the undead guy smashed me.
Human barracks (yellow city), Guardian extension lets you recruit them. Need to get lucky with ingredients to get them.

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also the best paladins are hired from the audale,since they get ork hatered thus +6 damage to orks,just stack all the bonus damage against undead and demons,you will have a killing machines,also paladins have the fucking javelins. Top tier unit for now. Tho i have seen some strong demons that bread fire that could kill healers....sad.
The great thing about paladins is they get bonuses to both demons/undead and fantastic creatures. And at least with demons, their most annoying units are both and the bonuses stack, turning paladins into killing machines. The javelins are great, and the active skills they get are top shelf too - turning a unit's damage white for a measly 1 focus is great and making it so enemies don't resurrect is situational but when it's good - it's good.

You are selling Keepers short though. They have good basic stats so they're strong right out of the gate. The high speed and charge bonus lets them destroy dangerous ranged stacks and make sure you intercept melee ones in time. Helps with flanking too. And another neat thing - with their great speed, there's a common glyph I've been finding that raises the speed of all allies in a stack by 3. You put it on a Keeper and you get a full stack with 12-13 movement.

Guys is the game worth playing now or should i wait for patches. Bought it already
I just had a combat freeze during enemy turn when fighting Orc riders so you might want to wait for some patches.
Also it has some serious mid game balance issues.
I haven't had any freezes, and the only bug I noticed is that the slave potion doesn't work as a potion, only as a skill. So it's at least a case of works on my machine (tm).
Slave potion worked for me but after it I got the full unit, not slave version (no penalty to stats but it also cost full maintenance) :D
You need to use it on enemy when their morale is almost zero

whocares

Savant

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
BTW, I got the Beasts are all Followers upgrade, it turns out that only works for those that cost gold upkeep, not mana upkeep. Still good but not as good as I expected. Now I am swarming with Jelly Beasts and Fire Beatles as I only need one turn to make 6 of those

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom