Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spider-Man (PS4)

Finished Arkham City: Spider-Man edition.
This game wishes it was even a fraction as good as Arkham City. It's not
this is true. Spider-Man is a moderately decent action game with some major low points while Arkham City borders on great and has less low points. I mean, Catwoman is much hotter than Mary Jane and actually contributes something besides terrible contrived stealth sections so that's already a notch for the Bat :incline:
I disagree. Batman's combat is objectively worse, with far more automation and enemy types that ask for nothing more than button memorization. It requires zero spatial awareness or active problem solving; you simply see an enemy of a certain type and remember that a shield means tap this button followed by this button. Enemies attack more actively in Spider-man, the gadgets and alternate moves do more than "take out enemies but in slightly different ways" allowing you to come up with creative solutions to problems and even some basic combos, and the story in Spider-man is significantly more coherent - Batman, especially Arkham City, was written by monkeys. It's so full of plot holes and contrivance as to border on parody.

I will say that I very much so enjoyed the Batman games and that the stealth is way better. I'm pretty sure you could flip around what I just said about Spider-man's active combat in favor of Batman's stealth (more intelligent AI, gadgets interact with the environment and enemies in interesting ways, etc.) and Catwoman is definitely way better than Lois Lane But With Red Hair. But Spider-man's far superior boss battles, combat, and general quality makes it a clear winner in my opinion despite a few annoying stealth sections.

mogwaimon

Magister
I'm not going to defend the Arkham series combat because it really does have all the depth of a puddle (though it is somewhat enjoyable despite this) but Spider-Man does little more than take the Arkham model and add more options. if you see a shield guy you're supposed to hit O to dodge under and hit from behind. Weapon guy? Need to use an aerial launcher. Brute? need to web them up first. Oh, right, there's more options to take these guys out though, like with shield guy you can do a swing kick to bust through or with weapon guy you can disarm or attack from afar (...didn't Arkham have a disarm? didn't they also have batarangs? huh...) and the brutes...well, you can web them up 'better' if you used the web bomb gadget or that one focus ability that spews webs everywhere. Not exactly an ocean in comparison to Arkham, is it? we have gone from a mere puddle to...maybe a pothole? it's a fun combat system and you're right in that the enemies in Spider-Man are far less anemic than in the Arkham series but it's not exactly a mindblowing improvement over Arkham either.

In regards to story, the criticisms of City that I often hear is based on the premise itself, 'who's going to let inmates run wild all over their city like this' and all that. Which is pretty insane, I'll give you that but we're also dealing with comic books. It's a setting that would be retarded if it were based in reality in any shape or form, but since it's comic book BS I think it can be allowed to slide, in my opinion. And as for the bosses, Spider-Man does take the edge in that department. Though the Mr Freeze fight in AC was still pretty badass.

Though the Mr Freeze fight in AC was still pretty badass.

It's a good sequence, but I hesitate to describe it as a "boss fight"; I think "stealth puzzle" would be more accurate.

I haven't played Spider-Man as I do not own a Playstation, but regarding Arkham City's story:
Yeah, it's a whole lot of cheese, red herrings, and plot-holes, but it also has significantly less of those things than like 98% of Batman stories from the comics, so complaining about it seems a little performative.

It also seems bizarre to complain about the Arkham series' writing and pick City as chief offender when Arkham Knight is one of the most pants-on-head retarded adaptations of a franchise I've ever seen.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ps5.png

ps5_2.png

Imagine the sinking feeling of paying 500 bucks for a brand new console to play a worse version of a game you already own, while also paying the premium nuconsole game price. Console fags get what they fucking deserve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is the color and contrast all fucked up like that in the game? Or is that somebody's weird ass TV making the face change comparison look whacked out?

GreyViper

Prophet
So regarding new Miles morales spinoff story, I have only one word BORING. Honestly, the potential was there but what you get is, a bunch of mediocre to not interesting characters and villains. Hell only ones that may have piqued interest were Rhino and Kriger and that's telling something.
And even then Kriger was just a joke, what they should have done is use the Kingpin side story as the main plot device. The Venom powers were another thing that left many questions, like why when did he acquire them.

On the bright side, Morales got his "happy end" by blowing his load on Phin in the end and nothing was lost.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Really don't know why the developers saw fit to subtitle all the Chinese of the bad guys (in parentheses, almost like SDH). First of all, Spider-Man, MJ and Miles don't speak Chinese, and second, most of the stuff that's subbed is totally unimportant. Game devs never have any taste for this stuff. Rockstar got it with Max Payne 3. Max was a stranger in a foreign country, so they chose to leave all the Portuguese without subs.

I don't pretend to know the comics, but this seems kind of overly violent and grim. Pistol-whipping, blood, terrorism, the way Spider-Man pulls their heads into beams before tying them up.

Posted these in the screenshot thread a couple of weeks ago, but...

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20220304130651.jpg

No forehead.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20220304130705.jpg

No forehead.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20220304171218.jpg

No forehead.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20220324020231.jpg

No ear lobe.

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-20220324021151.jpg

No forehead.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Web-slinging was fun, as was the Elfman-reminiscient theme that plays while you do so.

Music gets old rather quick. Really doesn't always have to be there in freeroam. That takes its impact away.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The art direction was bad. This ugly middle between realism and overdesigned toon.

The funny thing was that the Arkham game with the best art direction (comparatively speaking of course) was the one farmed out to another dev team.

Riskbreaker

Eh, I appreciated the look of the environments in Arkham games - Gotham in Arkham City felt straight out of Burton's Batman Returns.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The art direction was bad. This ugly middle between realism and overdesigned toon.

The funny thing was that the Arkham game with the best art direction (comparatively speaking of course) was the one farmed out to another dev team.

Didn't like that game's art either. Overdesigned again. Batman is all beefy in a weirdly proportioned kind of way and covered in boring, puffed up armor plating, taking away from the whole theatricality of the character.

Batman-Arkham-Origins-on-PC-Gets-New-Patch-to-Fix-Vents-and-Free-Fall-Loops-396219-2.jpg

Batman-Arkham-Origins-Screenshots-3.jpg

Even though he was just starting out and it would have been an opportunity to finally have him all textile.

Last edited:
I agree character designs were a mess in the Arkham games. I thought Joker and Scarecrow were okay, but pretty much everything else was a mess.
I do like the environmental art though.

Ezekiel

Arcane
You should see the 1:10 latex-clad Catwoman statue I keep in my bookcase, Chimera. City's cat is still a bimbo.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Spider-Man, like the new God of War, has no... proper gameplay loop? What I mean is that, due to the priority of the cinematic presentation, you always start from an auto-checkpoint with full health. That feels cheap. It gives the player an incentive to fail. First thing they might do when they face off against the second level of a boss is just kill themselves or pause and load from the checkpoint. As opposed to older games where you'd replenish your health and THEN get the save point. Where you'd have to journey on to the next save point and might start any auto-checkpoints with only as much health as you had before you entered. If it's not the Spider-Man/God of War way, it's usually health regeneration. The two methods make the areas/action feel so... insular rather than progressive. You always get a clean slate.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
The nightmare sections are SO played out. Every AAA dev does them now. Thanks, Far Cry 3. Always feels the same.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The nightmare sections are SO played out. Every AAA dev does them now. Thanks, Far Cry 3. Always feels the same.

Arkham Asylum did it before FC3, probably some others as well. Kind of an interesting question of what game historically did it first.
Was gonna say "Arkham Asylum/Far Cry 3," but wasn't sure if it expoded after Arkham or FC3. Max Payne was one of the only ones that didn't feel so dumb about it. Not to bash Batman, though. Made sense with Scarecrow.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Platforming over those narrow blood trails could have been better, but the nightmares in the Max Payne games actually kind of did feel like a nightmare. That baby screaming, the echoes, the distorted look... In Spider-Man and so many games like it, everything is just really weird looking but feels almost as real as the rest of the game, including that boss.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but wasn't sure if it exploded after Arkham or FC3.

Most likely because of Arkham Asylum
I remember that at the time of release the "Scarecrow Nightmares" were segments of the game that had alot of buzz
And to be fair they are some of the cooler parts of the game

Ezekiel

Arcane
Finished. Yeah, not very good. Feels very committee-made. I have no idea why they told me that I couldn't upgrade anymore past that point if it was just a boss followed by the post-game in which you can do everything anyway. A needless spoiler, but I didn't care about the story anyway. (If this is an accurate representation of Spider-Man villains, I'm unimpressed, as a non-fan.) Still, it wasn't some drawn out ending in several locations or something. Just the boss. Is this like a requirement for their open world games? Weird.

I've had this since I bought the ps5 in late 2020 but never got around to playing it. Been playing a bit since the VRR update hit this week and it's just another example of good tech wasted on an awful game. It looks great and zipping around the city is fun enough, but there is no actual game built around these aspects. Zero enemy variety, no interesting combat scenarios, imprecise floaty controls, repetitive zero-challenge collectathon open world gameplay complete with Ubishit towers. Cutscene-filled main campaign for brain damaged children.

If they had made city traversal a little less braindead, had fewer but more considered hidden collectibles and added some actual difficulty to the combat, it would be pretty decent. As it is, it's a turn your brain off and consume product kind of deal. Production values through the roof and a tragic waste of resources.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom