Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
Any actual advantage in-game apart from the Harper messages?

Harlin

Educated
Any actual advantage in-game apart from the Harper messages?

I know now that any reference to $7CE4 in the scripts is a check for a Hillsfar character. If I search all of the scripts:

$ grep "7CE4" *
ECL80 - World Map 1.txt:$19F7 $99F5 03 COMPARE <$7CE4> 0

... nope, there's nothing else.

A check of the Secret of the Silver Blades raw binary shows nothing there, either.

Ladonna

Arcane
Beyond software (then Stormfront) actually.

The Savage Frontier games were farmed out from SSI to Beyond software. Don Daglow and co.

Last edited:

Null Null

Arbiter
They had a different feel no? More 'game-y', more cities and intrigue and fewer ruins and graveyards?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
TSR was only directly involved in designing with Pool of Radiance.
Curse of the Azure Bonds was based on the eponymous novel by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, published in late 1988, and Grubb himself collaborated with SSI's project lead George MacDonald on both the structure of the computer game and on adventure module FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds, which was published in April 1989, three months before the computer game hit the stores.

16809.jpg

Ladonna

Arcane
That makes sense. I did think Curse was a lot more 'railroaded' than Pool of Radiance, which was quite open ended, and more like a tabletop game presentation (There are quests on the billboard, just a bunch of adventurers, etc). I know it had a book after the games release.

Were there even any novels out in the forgotten realms before PoR? That whole game had a sense of being made up from scratch using just the tabletop world, without many preconceived notions, whereas later games seemed to be strait jacketed into their respective novels world with less room to move. I know the Dragon Lance games came after the novels, but I am not sure about the Savage Frontier, although 'Aminitas' seems to have a whiff of 'Famous Mage in Realm' about him, kind of like a befuddled Elminster/Gandalf type.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
First Forgotten Realms novel was “Darkwalker on Moonshae” which came out May 1987 (a full month before the campaign set, apparently, and over a year before PoR was released).

Ladonna

Arcane
It doesn't look like that book has anything to do with PoR though, so the coast was relatively clear for 'make it up as you go'.

I have the campaign setting book as well for Ruins of Aventure, and I think they did a better job in PoR to be honest. In the campaign book, the fall of Phlan is only something that has happened in living memory, while in PoR it was something that happened at least a few generations ago, which added to the 'mystery' of what lay beyond the Civilised section.

Null Null

Arbiter
That makes sense. I did think Curse was a lot more 'railroaded' than Pool of Radiance, which was quite open ended, and more like a tabletop game presentation (There are quests on the billboard, just a bunch of adventurers, etc). I know it had a book after the games release.

Were there even any novels out in the forgotten realms before PoR? That whole game had a sense of being made up from scratch using just the tabletop world, without many preconceived notions, whereas later games seemed to be strait jacketed into their respective novels world with less room to move. I know the Dragon Lance games came after the novels, but I am not sure about the Savage Frontier, although 'Aminitas' seems to have a whiff of 'Famous Mage in Realm' about him, kind of like a befuddled Elminster/Gandalf type.

Like any good for-profit company, they used platforms for cross-promotion.

The Savage Frontier sourcebook came out in 1988, and focuses heavily on the cities there (ironic given the name). Kind of like Gateway and Treasures.
Time of the Dragon came out in 1989, and focuses on the continent of Taladas. Like Dark Queen of Krynn.

I could also point out that the mechanic of transferring characters is a nice way to encourage someone to buy all the games. Transferred characters started about 2 levels above newly created ones (EXCEPTION: Champions to Death Knights), so you had an edge, and lots of 13-year-olds are powergamers. ;)

You can also bring an extra dragonlance in from Death Knights to Dark Queen. Pools of Darkness didn't have +5 items but Secret did, so it gave you an incentive to buy Secret even if you had Pools. Gateway had the Sword of Stonecutting, which wasn't available in Treasures but was useful for fighting Stone Golems in Treasures (especially for one optional fight that was useful for experience).

Last edited:

Harlin

Educated
Curse of the Azure Bonds longform walkthrough updated to version 1.01: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564786-curse-of-the-azure-bonds/faqs/78365

Pool of Radiance longform walkthrough updated to version 1.32: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564785-pool-of-radiance/faqs/73869

There are only a few minor changes, mostly on transfers to/from Hillsfar.

I think the next step for those is to unofficially patch all the bugs I have a good idea on how to fix ... but I'll probably write up Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness first.

SirGreenRanger

Barely Literate
Ignore above post; I emailed Joonas who rescued my save file and thus my adventuring life. I actually didn't realize he also posted here, so now I'm sorta embarrassed!!

(Thanks again! ):lol:

Mind slinging that fix my way? I'm playing the series with my old man, it's his favorite RPG series ever, and we just ran into this problem. I scoured the Internet and could only find this forum post. Thank you so much in advance!

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
Mind slinging that fix my way? I'm playing the series with my old man, it's his favorite RPG series ever, and we just ran into this problem. I scoured the Internet and could only find this forum post. Thank you so much in advance!
I can take a look if you mail me the save and describe the problem. (joonas.hirvonen@pp.inet.fi)

terribletony

Novice
As a fan of gold box games new to the forum, threads like this make me wistful for the olden days of bluewave offline mail.

time to start reading...

SirGreenRanger

Barely Literate
I can take a look if you mail me the save and describe the problem. (joonas.hirvonen@pp.inet.fi)
It worked! Thanks so much!

kangaxx

Arbiter
Voted for the Krynn games. When I was 5 or 6 my dad brought me that series on floppy disk back from a business trip to the States, and they fired a (so far) life long love of video games.

I'll never forget the sense of pride and accomplishment I felt from working out what "AC" did, and that I shouldn't "attack ally" during combat.

So.. five year old me struggled a bit with them at the time, but I became a much more hardcore and high-value gamer as a result of said struggle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom