Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null Null

Arbiter
The FRUA version is at http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/n/neverwin.zip , produced by GoldBoxFan (who's no longer around the forums). It's a FRUA mod, so it can save etc. I wasn't able to get too far--I couldn't get my guys past first or second level after clearing out the first couple of easy areas. But maybe I was doing something wrong.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Could you create a party in the FRUA version because I believe the original was only solo. It has been a while since I booted it up but damn did I pull out my graph paper and notepad. I was uber addicted to goldbox and couldn't get my hands on Buck Rogers excrpt the 5 14" disk I had no drive for. I think later, back when HOTU [home of the underdogs] sported DLs I snagged them both but.. i got a virus that wiped my drives or forced reformat. Shit days back then.

I went the extra mile to learn FRUA and was organizing every asset people developed. And organizing in dos is a pain. Then, i found a site with some extras fron Aubrey and it turned out that site was afflicted. It sucks because I transferred the data from the 3.5" disks to the 486 i had primed for dos. The virus borked that computer and the windows computer. This was before i had a CD recorder and before thumbdrives (or rather before I knew of them.. not that either computer had a usb spot).

2.22 was the last eh?

Null Null

Arbiter
You can create a party in the FRUA version; it's a normal mod. I remember being able to create 8 PCs, which may have been part of the problem as they'd naturally get reduced XP.

Not sure what the last version was. You can grab at least one version at http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/misc/nwn-off.zip . As ProphetSword says it's not that much fun because you can't save and have one PC.

What do you mean by 'organizing assets'? Corhub.com has most of the art at least, and the threads on FRUA reonis have most of the walls and backdrops, including a drop-in format that lets you avoid patching through UAShell.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I stored everything from borders, map art, creature art, wall assets, floor, ceiling, icons, art rippers, detailed text etc etc in dos folders i organized. I didn't have windows on that computer. I kept stuff as tidy as I could so if i wanted to put in any the the custom art I knew where to go. There was probably a lot I didn't know but i only had about 1-2 hours a day access to the internet on my dialup as i had to leave the phonelines open. I didn't have a cellphone back then. I tried to hoard as much as I could on 3.5" disks as possible because I wouldn't have online access.

one site gate a virus and it locked up both computers. Early ransomware I believe.

Null Null

Arbiter
Wow man, that sucks.

If you want to try again the community's still there, although smaller, but if the whole thing was kind of depressing I could see not wanting to go back to it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It really killed me. It wasn't the only time.

I was also going through POR taking screenthief pics and writing down every bit of text and monster stats. I was determined to add the gold box POR to the FRC1 Ruins of Adventure module gir PnP play. I only had a printed copy via pdf of that. The Azure Bonds pdf was too dark so I bought a physical copy from a connection. Then I worked on getting the novels. Sadly, that data was erased as well.

There is nothing more crushing than having months of time spent erased or destroyed again & again. Kind of reminds me of a skit I just saw.

5:17 with the ants is sort of how I felt.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Depressing? Loved them to death but I haven't rebooted under the GBC. Same goes for that Might & Magic mapper - where are we? . That's some dope shit.

I never scanned my maps to MMI or Wizardry. It was cool they gave you pages of blanks grids(or dots) to copy and map the game. My MMI is colorful I think. Really liked those first games. Real D&D flavor.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tortured_Land
A legend of the northern tribes told that a being of fire called Tirantikus—Tyranthraxus the Flamed One—emerged from the Tortured Land.[21] Tyranthraxus, together with Edranka and Torath, were generals of the Twisted Ones, unholy creatures employed by the glowing pool. In the Year of Stale Ale, −356 DR, they raised armies and conquered, destroyed, and reigned over the northern lands.[7][8][9][5][22] From out of the Waste, Tyranthraxus led the Riders to conquer Barze, Horreb, and the Vane before being defeated, for a time.[7][8][9][5] In the Year of Craven Words, −350 DR, Edranka led a horde of goblinoids, 100,000 in number, out of the Tortured Land and attacked the minotaur kingdom of Grong-Haap, based at Ironfang Keep. They were annihilated when the priest-king Haask summoned the elder evil Hargut of the Gray Pestilence.[4][23]

1. [5] Brian R. James and Matt James (September 2009). “Monument of the Ancients”. In Chris Youngs ed. Dungeon #170(Wizards of the Coast), pp. 79, 80
  2. [7]↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 Mike Breault, David "Zeb" Cook, Jim Ward, Steve Winter (August 1988). Ruins of Adventure. (TSR, Inc.), pp. 26, 27. ISBN 978-0880385886.
  3. [8]↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Strategic Simulations, Inc. (1988). Pool of Radiance. Strategic Simulations, Inc.
  4. [9]↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 (1988). Pool of Radiance Adventure Book , link:[1]. (Strategic Simulations, Inc.).

1. [21] Mike Breault, David "Zeb" Cook, Jim Ward, Steve Winter (August 1988). Ruins of Adventure. (TSR, Inc.), p. 62. ISBN 978-0880385886.
  2. [22] Mike Breault, David "Zeb" Cook, Jim Ward, Steve Winter (August 1988). Ruins of Adventure. (TSR, Inc.), p. 15. ISBN 978-0880385886.
  3. [23] Brian R. James and Matt James (September 2009). “Monument of the Ancients”. In Chris Youngs ed. Dungeon #170 (Wizards of the Coast), p. 80.

Good stuff:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13072

https://bitomoander.runboard.com/t643

ESP THIS!

Lost Gods of FR

The Seven Lost Gods of Antiquity

The name "Seven Lost Gods" originated in ancient times, and properly included seven demipowers who were defeated by or submitted to the god Bane, the Black Lord.[1] For example, Urgund's Description of Darkness, an account by Urgund of his imprisonment in the lower planes, named five entities as "those who fell down and became servants of the great lord Bane" and later sat in his Hall of Minor Courtiers as lesser powers.[4][5][6] These were:

and two more whose names were lost to history.[1]
TBH, it wouldn't be too far if a stretch to put Edranka and Torath (generals of the Twisted Ones) as the two lost gods. Next to nothing is on them. Sure, I guess Haask technically "destroyed" them.

And the Primordial Entry is of note as well.

Some good stuff and I know I had many of the dragon mag articles and polyhedron articles as well. It has evolved a little over time. Hopefully the Woke of the Coast doesn't destroy all the past (note that i give 5e or 4e much of any attrntion)

Yeah, explore the ole Bit o moander section of TWWM.

phlan_map1.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That part about the minor courtiers is some of the best writing in a CRPG. Rarely have so few words evoked so many vivid images and such a "sense of wonder". Contrast that with stuff like Heroes Chronicles that torture you with pages upon pages of drivel about what your character thinks and dreams.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
As this has become harder to find, I thought I'd share it here to help it be less lost.
Here's the official offline version of AOL's MMO Neverwinter Nights that closed down in 1997. It is not the last version released(v2.22), but it is close(v2.20)

What does this have to do with Goldbox, you ask?
It was a Goldbox game converted to online play... converted to offline play.
game-000.png

game-004.png

game-005.png

https://archive.org/details/NWNOffline

With regards to ownership: This thing is pretty much only a curiosity/museum piece. It was never for sale.
This is unrelated to the FRUA remake and similar, this is the official offline version.
Damn, that's all I have in my archives as well is v2.20. Damnit.

Null Null

Arbiter
That part about the minor courtiers is some of the best writing in a CRPG. Rarely have so few words evoked so many vivid images and such a "sense of wonder". Contrast that with stuff like Heroes Chronicles that torture you with pages upon pages of drivel about what your character thinks and dreams.

Bit OT, but Cultist Simulator (a card-based video game, more of a crafter than a real RPG) has an evocative, creepy 1920s setting set up with relatively short text descriptions and small pics. I thought it was an excellent example of 'doing more with less', as far as evocative text descriptions go. And you get to play the bad guy.

An old UGE module

http://blog.aulddragon.com/2012/07/uge-modules-for-gold-box-games/

Playing a a fucking monkey icon. Lol. I wanna be an Otyugh, a dragon.

You've tried Gold Box Companion, right? It had a function to do that as I recall. And in FRUA you can swap out the CBODY.TLB file pretty easily using the editors.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
True with FRUA. I never tried on GBC (barely touched its features tbh though I did playe with ASE for EOB1-3). I just found it nifty that someone put the time into the old UGE modules to do that.

Harlin

Educated
Pool of Radiance guide updated to v1.50: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564785-pool-of-radiance/faqs/73869
  • Changed quotes to be more like how the game works (single for in-game quotations, double for game descriptive text).
  • Changed location numbering to more closely match both the game's internal numbering and Gold Box Companion.
  • Added more game text.
  • Added more notes on the game not properly registering fleeing.
  • The game's Constitution hit point table actually does not go above 20. (All subsequent games have the table go up to 25.) Anything above that causes array-out-of-bounds shenanigans.
  • Slow does not either stack cumulatively with itself, or affect allies, unlike the tabletop version.
  • A Wand of Paralyzation actually requires a save vs. paralyzation, not the correct rod/staff/wand.
  • Added link to Null Null's single-character Let's Play.
  • Added link to CRPG Addict.
  • Added list of ECL scripts and maps.
  • Moved spell table format to data structure section.
  • Executable structure format rearranged.
  • The Acolyte NPC can be modified with strange results.
  • Some script flag additions and corrections.
  • Sokal Keep: the three words on the parchment do have real-life meanings.
  • Kuto's Well: random monsters only sometimes attack with high morale.
  • Kuto's Well Catacombs: Norris the Gray's treasure may disappear if you fail to claim it promptly.
  • Mendor's Library: the maximum number of green slime encounters is 7, not 8.
  • Cadorna Textiile House: there are different destinations if you flee from hobgoblins.
  • Wilderness: consoliated advice on the most dangerous monsters.
  • Yarash's Pyramid Level 1: a couple of the maze random encounters have surprise roll bonuses.
  • Yarash's Pyramid Level 2 and 3: corrected teleporter details.
  • Yarash's Pyramid Level 3: added mechanics for destroying the machinery.
  • Valjevo Castle Inner Tower: noted scripting bug that never fully marks Tyranthraxus as defeated.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Secret of the Silver Blades

I just found and defeated the ancient red dragon in the ruins and got the amulet, and the well told me I should investigate the Old Administration Building. It also gave me a map of the Black Circle Inner Sanctum, but I have no idea where this place is. Did I miss a hint, or are you meant to explore the ruins on your own to discover it?

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
As far as I remember the well should give you a map of the location of the admin building. Just keep throwing gems in it until it says: "The well has nothing for you at the moment" or something similiar.
I would not recommend exploring the ruins entirely, because there is nothing to find there. Only the same random encounters ad nauseam.

newtmonkey

Arcane
moleman
I did get a map of the admin building, but no map TO the admin building. The well has given me that message, so no more hints from it for now. Very strange.

The Adventurer's Journal has a partial map of the ruins around the well on page 2 (before the actual journal entries, so looking at it is not cheating!), so I might explore that area and see what shows up.

newtmonkey

Arcane
octavius

I am mapping the game, but the well just tells you to head off to the Old Admin Bldg as though there's a sign in the town pointing the way. I don't recall even hearing of that building either in the manual or from NPCs before, so that's why I wondered if I might have missed something. If not, I'm fine with just exploring and mapping the ruins until I find it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom