Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a nice pic of the original Forgotten Realms Archives box contents, from an Ebay auction:

$(KGrHqFHJE4FB4BQJn)(BQkLGIDbFQ~~60_57.JPG

I suspect this might be the best one to get, from the Interplay collections at least.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
If you can get it for under $20 then go for it, much past that however and I wouldn't recommend it. While it's nice to have these games on disc, this collection does not include full documentation and the packaging isn't anything special. It's one thing if you're getting a boxed copy of PoR with all the original documentation, etc. but when basically what you're getting is the game and the bare minimum material you need to be able to play it, then it's much less attractive of a deal.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, theres also:

AD&D Masterpiece Collection

WizardWorks AD&D Collectors Edition

WizardWorks AD&D Collectors Edition Vol 1-3

WizardWorks AD&D Special Collectors Edition

DragonLance Limited Collectors Edition

Phantasie Bonus Edition

Three Worlds of AD&D

SSI Fantasy Fest!

Eye of the Beholder Trilogy

and a never seen Dark Sun Trilogy Collection, some years ago someone in the SSI collector business claimed to have seen such a thing, but AFAIAOK not a single photo have surfaced.

I suppose those are all from the years before Interplay got the D&D license.

oh, you wanted Interplay specific? well these are all SSI outsourcing products.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ScottishMartialArts

Actually, I might be wrong - I think the Silver Edition has the full verison of Blood & Magic while this one only has a demo.

I wonder how they spread those old games across four CDs while (according to you) the Silver Edition has almost all of them on one CD.

oh, you wanted Interplay specific? well these are all SSI outsourcing products.
I figure if you're going to get a compilation and not the original product, it might as well be the newest, most compatible one.

Luzur

Good Sir
If you can get it for under $20 then go for it, much past that however and I wouldn't recommend it. While it's nice to have these games on disc, this collection does not include full documentation and the packaging isn't anything special. It's one thing if you're getting a boxed copy of PoR with all the original documentation, etc. but when basically what you're getting is the game and the bare minimum material you need to be able to play it, then it's much less attractive of a deal.

i have a complete PoR, except for the box, so if anyone wants to complete their empty PoR box...

bussinrounds

Augur
I finished PoR months ago (DOSBox) and soon I'll be looking to import some of my party members into CotAB. How do I go about doing this ?

Hmm...haven't we already had this discussion?
I went through our conversation and didn't see anything about specifically how to import characters from PoR to CotAB . As long as it's in the manual of CotAB (which I haven't looked at yet), I'm good. (didn't see anything in the PoR manual though)

dragonbait

Augur
I went through our conversation and didn't see anything about specifically how to import characters from PoR to CotAB . As long as it's in the manual of CotAB (which I haven't looked at yet), I'm good. (didn't see anything in the PoR manual though)

If you have both POOLRAD and CURSE folders contained within another folder like example below...

c:\goldbox\POOLRAD
c:\goldbox\CURSE

Then just mount the goldbox folder in DOSBox as the C drive and then run the copycurse exe file in DOSBox.

In DOSBox you would type the following...

mount c c:\goldbox
c:
cd curse
copycurse

The copycurse will move your characters from pool to curse. Then start curse and you can then click add characters from curse and your Pool of Radiance characters will appear there.

SlowTurns

Novice
Just wondering if anyone knew how to get around the PoD begin adventuring code word? It's driving me a bit nutty having to look up the word every time I reload.

I tried the Simeon Pilgrim code, ie: game.exe 1 2 Gem

But it doesn't seem to work for me. I need to load the game using startup.exe, and those parameters didn't work for that either...

Anyone, anyone, bueller?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmm...I tried game.exe 1 2 Gem.
I started the game with no party members at all, and Rolf asking if I'd like a tour. Saying No I could go to the Training Hall and load a saved game, thus bypassing the copy protection. But it's hardly quicker than looking up a word.

SlowTurns

Novice
Ahh so that's the trick, I did load into the empty party, but wasn't sure what to do from there. But yeah agreed, not much of a shortcut.

Thanks.

alx3apps

Educated
Just wondering if anyone knew how to get around the PoD begin adventuring code word?
There is a version of PoD floating around on abandonware sites with copy protection completely disabled (screen with code input shows and hides instantly). It shows 1.00 version on startup. PM me, if you won't be able to find it.

Also starting game with
Code:
game.exe 0 0 Helm
skips title screen on startup and enables divine intervention (kill all cheat) on Alt+x.

SlowTurns

Novice
Cool, will poke around a little more. I had tried three different versions of 1.0 but they all seemed to crash in the farmhouse just after the final vamp battle. All three of those versions did have the 'copy protection' though, so sounds like they were different. I ended up settling on a 1.10 version that seemed pretty stable. I had tried game.exe 1 2 Gem, as I don't want god mode, but love maps :) But it seemed buggy as all heck, once I had loaded my save games it kept throwing me back in Phlan and all sorts of other craziness.

I guess that's an additional incentive to win battles and not die, wouldn't want to waste 2 seconds looking something up in the journal (and maybe learn something) on reload ;)

Kersey

Educated
SlowTurns

Check this page.

I stumbled on that page quite a while ago and found it immensely useful for playing all the Gold Box games as well as few others. Of course using a hex editor is required for this but everything works as described.

Edit:
Sample said:
POOLS OF DARKNESS
Edit GAME.OVL or GAME.OVR

search 9A 74 0B 25 08 74 03 E9 2A
change -- -- -- -- -- EB -- -- --

search 9A 74 0B 25 08 75 06 C6
change -- -- -- -- -- 90 90 --

The copy protection will still appear
just type anything and it will work.

Kersey

Educated
Happy to help.

I did remember one minor problem with that page's instructions. The Dark Queen of Krynn one only works for version 1.0. Version 1.1 has a new executable and making the changes messes that one up. It should be possible to do the same thing for the new version but I'm not savvy enough to figure out how on my own so DQK is the only Gold Box game I still bother with passwords with. I won't be playing that one anytime soon, though. Still have Pools of Darkness to finish before I want to get even started with the Dragonlance series and that's been on a bit of a hiatus for a while now.

SlowTurns

Novice
Cool good to know. I actually I have the original gold boxes for the krynn series, but have never actually played them. I'll have to hit them up next. Although it's not like I have a 5 1/4 " drive anymore... The books will be nice though.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
Hmm...this is weird. When going to page 4 of this thread it says "4 more messages", but page 5 is blank? I don't have anyone on Ignore.

Anyway, I thought you guys might be interested in seeing how one can beat the Mulmaster Beholder Corps in Curse of the Azure Bonds without using the Dust of Disappearance. I used a save game provided by Joonas
When I did it back in the Amiga days I didn't have maxed out characters, and my guys didn't have quite so good equipment.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Parlik

Novice
Heh I do recall that some of these games had this bug (at least on the C64), where when you transferred between the games, various spell effects became permanent

Luzur

Good Sir
Heh I do recall that some of these games had this bug (at least on the C64), where when you transferred between the games, various spell effects became permanent

i remember my spells being changed, that permanent spell effects stuff and once me first weapon became un-dropable.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I decided to brush off this game and give it a whirl, since I hadn't knocked it out yet and the CRPG Addict is currently playing through it on his blog. So far this game is a lot more brutal than Pools of Radiance, but not in a good way. I am currently taking on a beholder in his lair along with his minions. Every time I run into spellcasters area of effect spells get slung back and forth on both sides until someone is made dead. It was fun and interesting the first few times, but the spellcasters are now following the same tactic in each battle. Somehow Pools of Radiance and even the FRUA modules pull off making things much more interesting throughout their entirety, while this one is just alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom