Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A few more screenshots:

starcontrol_UI_planet3-1.jpg

icons2.jpg

star_control_intro_art6.jpg

critters1.jpg
The title screen has been posted too:
pokemon-go-maximo-nivel.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's pre-rendered looking about it? I thought pre-rendered scenes were supposed to look unrealistically good. It looks like a typical lowish budget 3D game to me.
Do you look at that and feel like you're seeing actual gameplay?

The way he went from the galaxy map to the planet scan & landed on the planet seamlessly, then explored the entire planet in like 5 seconds? Which has NOTHING interesting to offer? Then there's stuff like terrain no way that probe will navigate through, the dark side of the planet (and the vehicle headlights).... it all looks like someone doing a concept video, a "wouldn't it look cool if..." promo, without any thought on how gameplay will actually work.

"Actual gameplay" as in normal uncut/unscripted gameplay probably not, but I don't see why it wouldn't be footage from a functioning game engine. They've been working on this game for several years.

hpstg

Savant
We don't know if this is final gameplay, but it doesn't have to be prerendered. The engine they are using for this is really fast and with some temporal AA there would be no shimmering or aliasing, hence the "prerendered" look.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Who cares if it's prerendered? It looks like SPORE but with even more comical planets.

rezaf

Cipher
It's kinda funny how much emphasis the trailer puts on the seamless transitioning between space and planet.
There were many discussions about that stuff in games like the new Elite, Star Citizen or No Mans Sky.
Do the developers feel they are making a game competing with these?

As others have written, the comically small scope of the planet defeats any "coolness" impact the seamless transitioning might have had, and it's pointless in a game like Star Control anyways.
Why do new franchise owners never, I dunno, ask 1000 people that loved the old games what the top 10 things were they loved about the classics and then focus on recreating those named most often?

But who am I fooling in this case, my point stands: Everything a SC game needs, Stardock has a solid track record of being unable to provide.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Sure, if you want a game with the soul and passion of Galactic Civilizations and the story and scope of SPORE, from the makers of some p. decent Windows skins, by all means.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The artstyle looks so crappy. SC2 had something that resembled old pulp sci fi, wtf is this shit supposed to be? They can't even get something as basic as the look of the game right...modern devs :P

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
The artstyle looks so crappy. SC2 had something that resembled old pulp sci fi, wtf is this shit supposed to be? They can't even get something as basic as the look of the game right...modern devs :P

TBH even the art style isn't the most important thing, they could change that completely and still keep the essence of the game.

They won't, but it's theoretically possible.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Even a fan project gets closer than Stardock is currently doing:
(Sorry about the low-res image)

latest

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Art style won't be the most glaring problem with this game.
From what I saw about their writing when I played Sorcerer King I came to conclusion that they just don't have talent to write good dialogue.

edit. Unkillable Cat are those Anrosynth?
What is the source? Project 6014?
:(
I failed perception check.

Last edited:

Grif

Learned
Wow, I thought it sounded fishy when they sent me an "offer" to buy into their "pre-demo" for this some years back. (And it cost some $100 dollarino or something too. Fuck that shit, I ain't got that pile of cash sitting around just to play the promise of a game.)

All these screenshots definitely indicate they don't know what the fuck they're doing, and not being able to reuse the original races/background just makes it a pointless exercise to begin with.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I see the thread has been renamed. Star Control Origins. Jesus, unoriginal much? Can't wait for the next game: Star Control Inquisition, with waay more romance options.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
One plus emerges from that article: Riku Nuottajärvi (who composed some tracks for SC2's epic soundtrack, including the Hyperspace theme) is handling the entire musical side of the game.

One minus though is "procedurally generated" aliens. That doesn't feel right at all.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The writing team, led by Cracked.com's Chris Bucholz, has a compelling sci-fi story that is also very much in the style you expect from a Star Control game.
Gavin on TTON was from Cracked.com too. I hadn't realized it was such a farm team for game writers! (In fact, I'm not actually sure what Cracked.com publishes. I had in my head that it was like an imitation of Mad magazine?)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The writing team, led by Cracked.com's Chris Bucholz, has a compelling sci-fi story that is also very much in the style you expect from a Star Control game.

83206ae67da70662c246b9cca0b92d2da77cae199a14e8d23e102739d5192b2e.jpg

The problem is that I expect the writing in a Star Control game to be good.

Star Control 2 speaks for itself.

Star Control 3 was made by Legend Entertainment, which had some Text Adventure veterans behind it, meaning that the writing was not a bad point of the game.

What little writing Project 6014 had done was at least on par with the above.

Stardock has some big shoes to fill here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom