Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
This is the biggest cope in history man and even you know it.
I know that my favorite games aren't the most popular games. It's fairly common on the codex to like more obscure, cult classic, hidden gem type games. I can see this happening with Starfield, but I was hoping that by now the hype died down and the clowns are gone but I guess not.
How is Starfailed obscure? A cult classic or a hidden gem? How can you say it's going to become one when it's fallout 4 with more fast travel, so people will say Fallout 4 is the cult classic and Starfailed added junk and ruined it.
because most people don't like it, but there is a core community of diehard fans. I just wish all the people who don't like it would fuck off already.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
This is the biggest cope in history man and even you know it.
I know that my favorite games aren't the most popular games. It's fairly common on the codex to like more obscure, cult classic, hidden gem type games. I can see this happening with Starfield, but I was hoping that by now the hype died down and the clowns are gone but I guess not.
How is Starfailed obscure? A cult classic or a hidden gem? How can you say it's going to become one when it's fallout 4 with more fast travel, so people will say Fallout 4 is the cult classic and Starfailed added junk and ruined it.
because most people don't like it, but there is a core community of diehard fans. I just wish all the people who don't like it would fuck off already.
I'd like to see these 'core fans', you seem to be the only person who wants to defend it.

How does people thinking a game is shit make it obscure, a cult classic or a hidden gem? You didn't answer the question.

Vic

Savant
How does people thinking a game is shit make it obscure, a cult classic or a hidden gem? You didn't answer the question.
I did answer it. Most people don't like it with a smaller core audience who does. If the mod support is going to be good I can see longevity for years to come.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I did answer it. Most people don't like it with a smaller core audience who does. If the mod support is going to be good I can see longevity for years to come.
Why would you buy a game you have to pay for mods to make playable? Why not just buy a better game? "Modding will fix it" never fixed a bethesda game.

Vic

Savant
Why would you buy a game you have to pay for mods to make playable? Why not just buy a better game? "Modding will fix it" never fixed a bethesda game.
only retards pay for mods

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
only retards pay for mods
So Bethesda fans?
but I was hoping that by now the hype died down and the clowns are gone but I guess not.
Yeah, I mean, you're still here.
I will defend Starfield to the bitter end
Why? What do you get out of it? Why must you defend a billion dollar failed project?

Suger

Literate
NKB missed an opportunity. Rather than adressing the actual criticism, he decided to make some kind of bait which turned into personal drama.
He'll come to regret it I guess.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
"Why aren't you taking the video game message board more seriously?" Dude.
It's funny at first, but then you see Vic is seriously distressed that people don't like Starfield. He tries to play it off like it doesn't phase him but it clearly does and he's struggling with Palworld making a mockery of it. I want to help the poor guy and get him away from his bethesda demons.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The NeverKnowsBest video is necessary because it debunks this bullshit before it spreads any further. Forget whatever you think of Emil's/Bethesda's writing/game quality for a second, this is purely an effort to debunk a load of nonsense started by a deranged redditor who was probably a child at the time.
I'm not sure what he is debunking. Now, I have not watched the entire thing (i know, I know) , but his arguments seem weak and seems to be emotionally based. It's not that Emil is some new random hire, that was made to be a sacrificial lamb.
I didn't watch the whole video (skipped a lot of parts) but he talks about popular Youtubers lying about Emil not creating "game design documents". Also when Emil called out these Youtubers on Twitter, gaming communities in general thought he was saying "gamers are entitled". More outrage ensues.

Lmao this NKB video has sparked some proper drama

Oh woops didn't notice it had already been posted
I'm reminded of this video

These are rando gamer opinions, not PhD theses (and tbh most PhDs are garbage so there's no standards anymore). Simping for the developer of a hundred-bazillion dollar product shat out by Indian code farms is the gayest thing ever.

He's not defending Bethesda, he's defending a single person.

Vic

Savant
"Why aren't you taking the video game message board more seriously?" Dude.
It's funny at first, but then you see Vic is seriously distressed that people don't like Starfield. He tries to play it off like it doesn't phase him but it clearly does and he's struggling with Palworld making a mockery of it. I want to help the poor guy and get him away from his bethesda demons.
I'm sorry to say but I don't care about Palworld.

Dave the Druid

Educated
The NeverKnowsBest video is necessary because it debunks this bullshit before it spreads any further. Forget whatever you think of Emil's/Bethesda's writing/game quality for a second, this is purely an effort to debunk a load of nonsense started by a deranged redditor who was probably a child at the time.
I'm not sure what he is debunking. Now, I have not watched the entire thing (i know, I know) , but his arguments seem weak and seems to be emotionally based. It's not that Emil is some new random hire, that was made to be a sacrificial lamb.
I didn't watch the whole video (skipped a lot of parts) but he talks about popular Youtubers lying about Emil not creating "game design documents". Also when Emil called out these Youtubers on Twitter, gaming communities in general thought he was saying "gamers are entitled". More outrage ensues.

These are rando gamer opinions, not PhD theses (and tbh most PhDs are garbage so there's no standards anymore). Simping for the developer of a hundred-bazillion dollar product shat out by Indian code farms is the gayest thing ever.

Well more than that he's showing how bad information gets spread:
  • Emil made a speech at some incredibly minor, obscure game dev conference
  • One rando on reddit wrote a rambling, mildly deranged post where he mischaracterized several things Emil said in that speech,
  • This ended up trending and spreading to multiple different subreddits because reddit is a shitty website and you should feel bad if you use it
  • D-tier (more like F-tier tbh) Youtubers then made videos, most of which were them just reading out the entirety of said reddit post without applying any critical thinking because they're fucking youtubers
  • This bad information ends up eventually spreading far and wide until it's just accepted as fact by fuckwits who don't bother doing the slightest bit of research (although even if you DID do research you'd probably find nothing but bad information since this bullshit is widespread at this point)
  • When Starfield came out people started dog-piling Emil on twitter criticizing him based on things he never actually said/were taken wildly out of context (and this is probably the first time Emil himself has actually heard any of this "no design document" BS too)
  • So Emil, who's never had an internet/twitter meltdown before, goes on a twitter rant about this misinformation
  • This gets conflated with the whole "gamers are entitled" thing and since people just assume everything they've heard about Emil up to this point is true, they thus assume his twitter tirade proves the bullshit they've heard must be true
Again, it's got nothing to do with the quality of Emil's work, his writing, Bethesda's writing or general game quality. He doesn't even defend the original speech - as it is poorly worded at points. It's just that so many people are criticising Emil over shit that never actually happened. They're actually just parroting some fucking redditor in 2017 who blatantly got shit wrong.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

• One rando on reddit wrote a rambling, mildly deranged post where he mischaracterized several things Emil said in that speech,
  • This ended up trending and spreading to multiple different subreddits because reddit is a shitty website and you should feel bad if you use it
  • D-tier (more like F-tier tbh) Youtubers then made videos, most of which were them just reading out the entirety of said reddit post without applying any critical thinking because they're fucking youtubers
  • This bad information ends up eventually spreading far and wide until it's just accepted as fact by fuckwits who don't bother doing the slightest bit of research (although even if you DID do research you'd probably find nothing but bad information since this bullshit is widespread at this point)
  • When Starfield came out people started dog-piling Emil on twitter criticizing him based on things he never actually said/were taken wildly out of context (and this is probably the first time Emil himself has actually heard any of this "no design document" BS too)
  • So Emil, who's never had an internet/twitter meltdown before, goes on a twitter rant about this misinformation
  • This gets conflated with the whole "gamers are entitled" thing and since people just assume everything they've heard about Emil up to this point is true, they thus assume his twitter tirade proves the bullshit they've heard must be true
Again, it's got nothing to do with the quality of Emil's work, his writing, Bethesda's writing or general game quality. He doesn't even defend the original speech - as it is poorly worded at points. It's just that so many people are criticising Emil over shit that never actually happened. They're actually just parroting some fucking redditor in 2017 who blatantly got shit wrong.

Sounds like standard human behaviour to me. This is why polticians still have their jobs.

abija

Prophet
So what exactly is wrong from this list:
- shitty game journalist
- shitty writer
- has video on youtube showcasing his lack of knowledge
- fails upwards
- both writing AND design director for Starfield
- tweets during Starfield shitstorm reminding people of all of the above

Dave the Druid

Educated
Sounds like standard human behaviour to me. This is why polticians still have their jobs.
Well that's kinda what I was getting at with my TL;DR post before, there's just tons of common knowledge that really just complete, verifiable bullshit if you do the tinniest bit of research. And that's been going on long before the internet and social media happened, they've just made it spread a bit faster that's all. It seems to just be human nature sadly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom