Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
sarah best stepmom

dukeofwoodberry

Educated
They should really stop making FPS rpgs. They suck.

1. Get new loot, it's a cool gun.
2. Shoot new gun at dude in a t-shirt
3. Dude dies after fourteen full mags
4. Throw away gun, uninstall game

Typical FPS RPG content. The problem is that standard RPG mechanics like high HP and armor don't work with FPS games. Nobody wants to shoot a gazillion flesh tank enemies except consoomers.

Proper FPS RPG combat difficulty should come from options, tactics and AI. Not just numbers go up.

But those are difficult and don't make money. It's the reason why FPS AI hasn't improved significantly since FEAR/Half Life 2.
Metal Gear is like that, phenomenal games. I just don't understand how that's going to work in an rpg. Because there's no really building of your character properly in an fps rpg. Unless you build for stealth gameplay, everything is going to feel bullet spongey. You just don't feel the proper impact of character building in an FPS rpg.

There are no great games that are FPS RPGs (besides New Vegas which still has VATS and the combat is the worst part.) They are two different styles of games that don't synergize.

It's not my wheelhouse but if I were to take a stab at it, progression would revolve around new combat options rather than just the usual +5% crit with handguns nonsense.

With a sci-fi setting, it's super easy. You can mess around with optical options (zoom, night vision, heat-seeking), improved reflexes (slow-mo) AI-assisted tracking (smart bullets), gun-fu moves (dual-wielding, target assist while doing parkour).

And you can increase the effectiveness of these as you level up in their use.

Enemies instead of gaining more health could also become deadlier, use these things against you, or just more of them.
To come up with a complex character building system with enough varied options, I just don't see it. You need all the tactical options available to you to make a tactical shooter fun (metal gear,) there just aren't enough things you can do with an rpg to make character building satisfying and tactical.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate
They should really stop making FPS rpgs. They suck.

1. Get new loot, it's a cool gun.
2. Shoot new gun at dude in a t-shirt
3. Dude dies after fourteen full mags
4. Throw away gun, uninstall game

Typical FPS RPG content. The problem is that standard RPG mechanics like high HP and armor don't work with FPS games. Nobody wants to shoot a gazillion flesh tank enemies except consoomers.

Proper FPS RPG combat difficulty should come from options, tactics and AI. Not just numbers go up.

But those are difficult and don't make money. It's the reason why FPS AI hasn't improved significantly since FEAR/Half Life 2.
Metal Gear is like that, phenomenal games. I just don't understand how that's going to work in an rpg. Because there's no really building of your character properly in an fps rpg. Unless you build for stealth gameplay, everything is going to feel bullet spongey. You just don't feel the proper impact of character building in an FPS rpg.

There are no great games that are FPS RPGs (besides New Vegas which still has VATS and the combat is the worst part.) They are two different styles of games that don't synergize.

I see someone has never played Deus Ex (original/HR/MD).

With a sci-fi setting, it's super easy. You can mess around with optical options (zoom, night vision, heat-seeking), improved reflexes (slow-mo) AI-assisted tracking (smart bullets), gun-fu moves (dual-wielding, target assist while doing parkour).

And you can increase the effectiveness of these as you level up in their use.

Enemies instead of gaining more health could also become deadlier, use these things against you, or just more of them.

All options in Deus Ex (ex duel-wielding/parkour) and what actually made it semi passable/good even the post 2010 remakes. Have heard of a few FPS/pseudo RPG's that incorporate duel-wielding/parkour gunplay but can't recall their names Wait -> Jedi Outcast implemented this but melee lightsaber and totally linear in its approach so discounting (likely also too complicated to implement in open world).

Vic

Savant
I don't remember reloading your gun was interruptable by taking damage in FO4 or am I wrong, it's a thing in this game

Vic

Savant
To come up with a complex character building system with enough varied options, I just don't see it. You need all the tactical options available to you to make a tactical shooter fun (metal gear,) there just aren't enough things you can do with an rpg to make character building satisfying and tactical.
shooters aren't tactical they require reflexes, they are ACTION games like all bethesda games

what are you even talking about

EDIT: Ok I see there's a category "tactical shooters" but no idea what that is, I wouldn't call bethesda FPS "tactical" by any stretch of the imagination :lol:

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I disagree. We're not aiming to recreate tabletop D&D here, with loads of classes and twenty levels of progression. What's needed is simply enough variety to make combat feel different. Something like Deus Ex as mentioned above.

For a hard-scifi setting you could go: stealth, brute force, saboteur, drone controller, hacker, etc. There's a ton of options to choose from.

shooters aren't tactical they require reflexes, they are ACTION games like all bethesda games

I remember you did say you didn't play shooters besides Bethesda games, and you're probably making a joke here. But, tactical shooters are grounded, more-realistic FPSes where you die super quick so you have to use tactics similar to what modern-day law enforcement/military do.

They're super popular among the gun-loving, mil-larping community.

Ashen_Shugar

Literate

I disagree. We're not aiming to recreate tabletop D&D here, with loads of classes and twenty levels of progression. What's needed is simply enough variety to make combat feel different. Something like Deus Ex as mentioned above.

For a hard-scifi setting you could go: stealth, brute force, saboteur, drone controller, hacker, etc. There's a ton of options to choose from.

I remember you did say you didn't play shooters besides Bethesda games, and you're probably making a joke here. But, tactical shooters are grounded, more-realistic FPSes where you die super quick so you have to use tactics similar to what modern-day law enforcement/military do.

They're super popular among the gun-loving, mil-larping community.

Not a big fan of FPS but i recall that even Crysis had more involved pseudo tactical combat options available (and also visually stunning graphics for its time). However again very linear. Crysis 2 & 3 were total shit (sureishimasu) though.

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

EDIT: Ok I see there's a category "tactical shooters" but no idea what that is, I wouldn't call bethesda FPS "tactical" by any stretch of the imagination :lol:
That's why those types of games are 100x more fun pvp then pouring bullets into shitty AI

racofer

Thread Incliner
toddtt.jpg

Johnny Biggums

Learned
A futuristic sci-fi cosmos where humans remain the only rationally ensouled creatures is implicitly Christian.
it's not Christian per se, the game mentions the Fermi Paradox

Humans are jumping between solar systems and there's still no evidence. Not much of a paradox at that point, is it? Redditors have simply misunderstood the probability of alien rational life (nil - only man was created in God's image). Todd made Starfield to prove this point. By including mention of a debunked "paradox," Gigabrain Todd is just having a little laugh at atheist cope.

Vic

Savant
A futuristic sci-fi cosmos where humans remain the only rationally ensouled creatures is implicitly Christian.

Humans are jumping between solar systems and there's still no evidence. Not much of a paradox at that point, is it? Redditors have simply misunderstood the probability of alien rational life (nil - only man was created in God's image). Todd made Starfield to prove this point. By including mention of a debunked "paradox," Gigabrain Todd is just having a little laugh at atheist cope.
I've been playing too much Starfield recently to try and understand your post, but have a brofist.

Shaki

Arbiter

If god created humans in his image, then he would have to be some multiracial abomination, you're basically telling me to worship a nigger, not happening.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
A futuristic sci-fi cosmos where humans remain the only rationally ensouled creatures is implicitly Christian. Sure, you can make your Type 1 they/them body sway and sashay like a girl; Todd, like God, permits his children to choose sin and death if they so wish. Deus vult, Todd.

Charles Darwin's 'Origin of Species' is one of the most valuable books in the game. I don't know if whoever set the prices for the books in game did that to send some kind of subtle message or not.

There are two possible explanations for this.

1. Satan is the father of lies and the ruler of this world, or fallen cosmos. Todd illustrates this by making the greatest lie ("evolution") the most valuable book in-game.

2. In the future, the Origin of Species, being (as Todd well knows) filled with primitive nonsense, has long been out of print and thus become an inconceivably rare book, vied for by wealthy collectors of bizarre curiosities.

Either way, Todd is correct and illustrates the point beautifully.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice

If god created humans in his image, then he would have to be some multiracial abomination, you're basically telling me to worship a nigger, not happening.
God is spirit. As stated in John 4:24 "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” As such, we were created in his image in as far as the moral, spiritual and intellectual nature of God is concerned.

Johnny Biggums

Learned

You assume niggers are human. Could it be that this is precisely the assumption which Todd, in Starfield, wants you to examine?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
people are saying starfield is at its best doing cargo delivery quests like Death Stranding. as long as the gameplay is good modders can fix whatever dumb bullshit bethesda shipped with the game
>*pay for game*
>"PLS FIX GAEM, TOTAL STRANGERS WHOM I DIDNT PAY!"
>*waits*
>*waits*
>"Any day now..."
>*waits*

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't think a human-only universe can ever be as interesting as a multi-alien one.
It leaves too much creativity & potential on the table.

If we are truly the only intelligent beings in the universe - that removes something a little special from exploring space.
Except almost all multi-alien fiction just portrays the aliens the way you would a human, or very close to it. Most of them walk on two legs, or at least reason and act similar to the way a human would. Most culture shock moments are based off of actual culture shock when going to another country or talking to someone of a different race.

Klingons are space Arabs, Ferengi are space Jews. Romulans are space Romans that later got turned into space Russians.

Same with Star Wars aliens, unless they're just there to "look alien" and play the flute, which a lot of them seem to be. What are the Hutts if not fat slug caricatures of human mob bosses?

And there are all sorts of creative routes you can go to add strange beings to the universe without a single real alien.

Take a show like Red Dwarf - human-only universe, but set 3 million years in the future when humans are all dead. You have only one actual human on the show for most of the series. And he meets holograms, androids, simulants (think the blade runner androids, but more violent), and genetically engineered lifeforms.

Alpha Centauri before the expansion had one real alien: the planet, but factions like the Hive were more alien to the average westerner than most of the aliens on Star Trek ever were.

Firefly showcased the differences in class instead of racial differences. The Alliance was so far in advance technologically of the colonies that they were practically alien. And instead of Jawas hawking droids, you had old Chinese dudes. Instead of Jaba the Hutt, you just had a human crime boss who was rich enough to afford his own space station. And it all worked because the concepts for these characters are what "aliens" in media like Star Wars and Star Trek were based off of originally.

Visually, sure, it's hard to beat seeing weird green alien strippers or whatever. But in the end, a thot is a thot, human or not. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom