Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robotigan

Learned
The problem with Morrrowind's "emptiness" I think is that comparatively few of the people you see actually do anything or have anything to say. People rightly rag on Oblivion for having a billion named NPCs who all have one line of stupid "I am Cockius Suckius, I run the store here. Feeling hungry? They say some "food" will fix that right up" dialogue or whatever other inane shit, but Morrowind's NPC roster in big towns isn't much better.

Combined with the usual issue of NPCs being static and mostly just standing totally still 24/7 or walking aimlessly in a small area, and the world just feels hollow and generally off.

Bethesda keep replicating the same problem in a lot of their games, there's technically a lot of stuff on the screen but when you try to interact with it you find out that the NPCs have no real stories or quests to partake in, the city is an illusion, you're the only person in the world who ever does anything, etc.
Systems design is a lot harder than quest writing, and also less recognized. Quests provide clear additive value. You make a quest, it's compelling, everyone cheers, and you're budgeted 5 more quests. Whereas systems provide hidden multiplicative value. You make a system, it's lame on its own, people don't get it, and you have to fight to persuade stakeholders that it'll be really cool when combined with the other 5 systems you had planned. Then once everything's implemented, you get the interesting emergent behavior you had hoped for. In fact it's so emergent that everything breaks because of several edge cases you hadn't expected, and now you're battling deadlines as you realize everything's gonna be 5x harder than you initially thought. Or you can take the cheater's way out and disallow those insidious edge cases. Bethesda's pretty good about avoiding cheats--this is probably where "it just works" comes from, they mean you can do whatever you want without the game imposing arbitrary parameters on you--but things can be buggy and sometimes barebones as a result.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Starfield Pricing Leaked for All Editions, Including Premium & Constellation:​

https://wccftech.com/starfield-pricing-leaked-for-all-editions-including-premium-constellation/

According to the report, the standard edition of Starfield will be priced at €69.99 on PC and €79.99 on Xbox Series S|X, which is nowadays the regular pricing for triple-A games on PC and consoles, respectively.

The juicy information is regarding the pricier editions of the game. According to billbil-kun, the Premium Edition will be priced at €109.99 on PC and €119.99 on Xbox Series S|X. While the report does not include information on the additional content available with the Premium Edition, previous games from Bethesda Game Studios offered the DLC expansions included with similar packages. It is a fair bet that the same will be true of Starfield. Looking at previous games, Bethesda Game Studios always released at least two sizable expansions ever since Oblivion (Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles), continuing with Fallout 3's five (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Mothership Zeta), Skyrim's three (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn), and Fallout 4's three (Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World).

According to the leak, the Collector's Edition will be named Constellation Edition (a reference to the Constellation faction of explorers at the core of the main plot in Starfield). Like many Collector's Editions, it will be available in physical format only priced at €299.99 for both PC and Xbox Series S|X. Again, billbil-kun couldn't provide details on the goodies included with the Constellation Edition, but it's fair to assume it will include the contents of the Premium Edition plus some physical goodies like a map and/or statuette.

Gargaune

Arcane
Like many Collector's Editions, it will be available in physical format only priced at €299.99 [...] but it's fair to assume it will include the contents of the Premium Edition plus some physical goodies like a map and/or statuette.

Uh-huh... But will it include the actual game?

Risewild

Arbiter
Bethesda Game Studios always released at least two sizable expansions ever since Oblivion (Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles), continuing with Fallout 3's five (Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Mothership Zeta), Skyrim's three (Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn), and Fallout 4's three (Automatron, Far Harbor, and Nuka World).
Someone forgot Morrowind, with its Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions. Let's just erase history! :hahano:

Akachi

Educated
More importantly they forgot expansions aren't DLC, or else by that logic, patch 1.2 for Oblivion that added new distant LOD meshes was an "expansion." Morrowind had two expansions. Oblivion had one. As far as I know, they have not done an expansion since, only DLC.

Gargaune

Arcane
AAARE YOUUU READYYYYY?

todd-starfield2.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
At this poit I expected something more than generic CGI.
I saw some gameplay footage in there. I saw the player attack someone with an axe and he was shooting someoen with a GUN, and I yelled "OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!" and I nearly fainted

NullFlow

Savant
Looks more like No Man's Sky than expected. Faces are still stiff like Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom