Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, after having actually watched the interview; Todd talks about how some planets have multiple biomes with creatures specific to that biome that are largely found there. This is confusing with the statement of no land vehicles, are players supposed to actually dredge that distance on foot or land the ship explore a certain radius and take off and land again in another area? This all seems counter productive, is the actual reason what Butter said about loading times for fast moving objects? Is their engine from 1997 still having those kinds of issues? (Yes I'm aware it had those issues even in Fallout 4 if you used setav speedmult and raised it too high in the console)
I find the revelation of no land vehicles to be extremely concerning.
I think it implies that exploration happens within relatively short distances of the ships - which would also explain why landing is scripted (probably landing spots are also already determined)
Landing zones aren't pre-determined as the Starfield Direct showed that you could pick any spot on the planet to land with the presenter selecting a spot in between two points of interest on the New Atlantis planet.
That's easy, they can give the player as many landing zones as the biome variety presupposes. Then "landing zone" means "fast travel within the planet".

It's not impossible to have a landing zone equally distanced from multiple biomes, so the player can gather data from all of them faster. Dredging the distance back to the ship could be solved in multiple ways - how about sending a robot back to the ship with the samples? Also, I'm not sure what classifies as "within relatively short distance of the ships" - five minutes real time walking in Fallout 4 is quite a lot of ingame distance, isn't it? I haven't played anything from Bethesda past FNV.

Readher

Savant
image.png

:smug:
Bethesda pajeet poster is literally my hero.
1686643650367101.png

Here's more:
1686640703466494.png

1686635133550055.png

ind33d

Learned
there's nothing stopping Bethesda from making Tamriel or Fallout planets in Starfield and doing some weird lore stuff with an expanded universe like Bungie did with Halo/Destiny. modders could make a fast travel system between different Beth games using spaceships

the planets having different tech levels would be really interesting

Caim

Arcane
there's nothing stopping Bethesda from making Tamriel or Fallout planets in Starfield and doing some weird lore stuff with an expanded universe like Bungie did with Halo/Destiny. modders could make a fast travel system between different Beth games using spaceships

the planets having different tech levels would be really interesting
You land on a planet, and as you look around you're knocked out from behind. As you wake up you're on a cart.

"Hey you. You're finally awake."

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
there's nothing stopping Bethesda from making Tamriel or Fallout planets in Starfield and doing some weird lore stuff with an expanded universe
They initially wanted to do a crossover in Fallout 4 with the Salem Witch Museum but decided against it because the idea is too retarded even by their standards.

Lemming42

Arcane
Most people would probably despise it but I actually love the idea of Nirn existing in the "real" universe, just in some distant corner of the galaxy. Not in Starfield though, that's not the right venue.

Fallout's trickier because you'd have to have some Star Trek TOS style "parallel Earth" thing going on, which always sucks absolute dick.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The Prydwen (bos blimp) has some nirnroot growing under lab surveillance.

Dark Brotherhood bloody hand symbol is in Fallout 3, 4, and 76.

They initially wanted to do a crossover in Fallout 4 with the Salem Witch Museum but decided against it because the idea is too retarded even by their standards.

Care to elaborate?

thesecret1

Arcane
Most people would probably despise it but I actually love the idea of Nirn existing in the "real" universe, just in some distant corner of the galaxy. Not in Starfield though, that's not the right venue.
The problem with that is that Nirn has magic and deals with outerplanar entities and shit like that. Whatever sci-fi setting you've got going on is going to crash and burn if you discover that shit – think of the technological implications, or questions about why the fuck do daedric princes only care about one specific planet rather than bothing other places too, etc. It can of course all be explained away somehow (lore always can), but what will your setting look like after you're done? Unless you specifically plan to run with literal magic in space from the get go, it's not gonna end well.

Lemming42

Arcane
The problem with that is that Nirn has magic and deals with outerplanar entities and shit like that. Whatever sci-fi setting you've got going on is going to crash and burn if you discover that shit – think of the technological implications, or questions about why the fuck do daedric princes only care about one specific planet rather than bothing other places too, etc. It can of course all be explained away somehow (lore always can), but what will your setting look like after you're done? Unless you specifically plan to run with literal magic in space from the get go, it's not gonna end well.
Star Trek's always managed it, often in pretty insane ways (Trelane getting his powers from a generator hidden inside a mirror and Apollo from an "extra gland" in his upper body).

Nirn and the surrounding space could just have some unique type of energy uncommon to the rest of the universe, I suppose - hence why magic can only be channelled within that sphere, and why the Daedra can't leave.

Caim

Arcane
Star Trek's always managed it, often in pretty insane ways (Trelane getting his powers from a generator hidden inside a mirror and Apollo from an "extra gland" in his upper body).

Nirn and the surrounding space could just have some unique type of energy uncommon to the rest of the universe, I suppose - hence why magic can only be channelled within that sphere, and why the Daedra can't leave.
CHIM isn't real and is actually Vivec doing a shitload of shrooms that made him trip balls so hard his psychic powers (those exists in sci-fi) warped the planet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Fallout's trickier because you'd have to have some Star Trek TOS style "parallel Earth" thing going on, which always sucks absolute dick.
The wear and tear on the St. Louis Arch looks more like nukes than simple "climate change". Maybe it IS Fallout Earth.
Since Bethesda already established in Fallout 3, via the Mothership Zeta expansion, that aliens have been abducting humans for, at the least, centuries prior to the nuclear apocalypse, it would be easy to integrate Fallout's post-apocalyptic Earth into a Starfield setting where human civilization was re-formed in another star system and eventually became advanced enough to expand and return to Earth.

Integrating the Elder Scrolls setting would be a horrendous blunder, unless Bethesda has given up on developing more Elder Scrolls games.

EvilWolf

Learned

The wear and tear on the St. Louis Arch looks more like nukes than simple "climate change". Maybe it IS Fallout Earth.
Since Bethesda already established in Fallout 3, via the Mothership Zeta expansion, that aliens have been abducting humans for, at the least, centuries prior to the nuclear apocalypse, it would be easy to integrate Fallout's post-apocalyptic Earth into a Starfield setting where human civilization was re-formed in another star system and eventually became advanced enough to expand and return to Earth.

Integrating the Elder Scrolls setting would be a horrendous blunder, unless Bethesda has given up on developing more Elder Scrolls games.
C0da already exists. People are still sperging out over it so I can only imagine the industrial strength butt cream that would be required if Starfield makes it canon.

Modron

Arcane
The St Louis Arch wouldn't survive nukes nor would it survive the wear and tear of the long march of time that turned the city into nothing but sand.

EvilWolf

Learned
The St Louis Arch wouldn't survive nukes nor would it survive the wear and tear of the long march of time that turned the city into nothing but sand.
The St. Louis Arch can survive direct (no buildings to buffer the blast) aftershock from up to 6 miles out.

Caim

Arcane
Skyrim didn't have fishing until the release of its 10 year anniversary edition, so we'll have to wait until 2033 for Starfield to get it.

Hobknobling

Learned
No fucking land vehicles??

:decline:
You could easily see this from the marketing material already. It was actually quite funny how they showed some of the settlements and not a single vehicle was shown.

I would've expected them to at least somehow jerry-rig an ATV in to the game for the wilderness planets, but I guess having early 00's physics interactions and rendering rate was too big of a challenge for the Power of The Creation Engine™. Ladders are also still not on the menu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom