Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BruceVC

Magister
Anyone thinks that only having jetpack is a slow method to travel, didn't play ELEX 2 yet.
Not entirely about the vehicle, though I wouldn't have minded a Mass Effect MAKO knockoff.

If you can't fly around a planet, there's probably a reason for it. And that reason is probably that they don't want you to go to certain parts of the map and/or that it's not a spherical planet at all, but just another Oblivion map.
Edgy are you thinking and hoping we see a Lolth type Romance redemption arc with an alien ...its got possibilities :bounce:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Most people would probably despise it but I actually love the idea of Nirn existing in the "real" universe, just in some distant corner of the galaxy. Not in Starfield though, that's not the right venue.

Fallout's trickier because you'd have to have some Star Trek TOS style "parallel Earth" thing going on, which always sucks absolute dick.
You do not need parallel worlds, you just use one of the popular lost advanced civilization theories to explain why humans are in space (left Earth when last cataclysm happened) and still new humans managed to get to early 20th century to get to Fallout world.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Uh oh... that facial hair

FyXKRUPWYAEFGBZ
Lets not get too finicky. I saw a good enough Danny Trejo lookalike, so the "Machete Kills... In Space" playthrough is confirmed.

Angthoron

Arcane
So are we so much at the bottom of the barrel that Outer Worlds is now an example of a good game?
That's what you took from that?
Well I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "meme" contrasts the "subtle" and "well written" "anti-corporation" "messages" of The Outer Worlds against the explicitly shit writing of Bethesda, somehow implying that The Outer Worlds is "doomer" and "edgy".

Or what was it that a reader is to take away from this?

thesecret1

Arcane
So are we so much at the bottom of the barrel that Outer Worlds is now an example of a good game?
Well I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the "meme" contrasts the "subtle" and "well written" "anti-corporation" "messages" of The Outer Worlds against the explicitly shit writing of Bethesda, somehow implying that The Outer Worlds is "doomer" and "edgy".

I'll try to translate this ultra subtle meme:

TOW: cucked and shit
Starfield: chad and based

Readher

Savant

It's mostly Obsidian shitposting. Before Starfield, there was a fuckton of Fallout 3 vs New Vegas images like this. Some ESL dude is posting them on 4chan occasionally. He was branded pajeet (due to the shitty spelling and grammar), leading to stuff like this being posted in every Fallout 3 thread:
1687553849482764.png

Here are the Fallout ones I have saved:
0dRjDM.image.png

0dPFxG.image.png

0dPdky.image.png

1651599283893.png

1645093302153.png

1677734057822.png

4dtKpiZ.jpeg

1648356068351.png

1660770277451.png

1676751851287.png

And here are some more Starfield ones:
1655113794160.png

1655107371706.png

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Dude. No.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I looked at minimum requirements, and they are crazy.
Basically they were writen by person who has no clue about PC hardware.
They know what they are doing.

They want you to buy more shit.

Retarded PC gamers can shell out $2000 for a needlessly high end rig. Retarded console gamers can buy a new overpriced Shitbox. It's win-win for M$oft and Beth$oft.
You can buy bottle of quality wine for FAR less than Starfield costs.
And frankly some people are so slow drinkers that a bottle of quality wine lasts longer than average person would play Starfield.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
1. The i7-6800K was not a "fucking HIGH END server CPU". It came paired with the X99 Chipset and was marketed as Intel's HEDT-Platform. Yes, it's an idiotic minimum requirement because barely anyone is familiar with that CPU but it's not a "server CPU".
It was only way how to get a small server with CPU that allowed playable speed for cheap. Basically it was 1P with 40 PCI-E lanes. It was perfectly fine for server room during day, and for playing during night.
Only other way was finding second hand XEON locked like hell, but with enough speed... sold for 1/20 of original price because they replaced worn out CPUs with new ones.

Also quad-channel.

2. So? 6-core desktop CPUs have been on the market for more than a fucking decade now, since 2010. Speculating that you won't really need 6 cores for Starfield is, at this point, just speculation. Will it run on 4 cores? Probably. Will it be decently playable? Who knows.
Yea. But, can you imagine what would happen when game would use 6 cores to the max? The CPU fan would turn into helicopter and try to fly away. And heat dumped by GFX card used TO THE MAX would only make stuff really hot.

3. The RTX 4060 will not be slower than the GTX 1070 Ti. It will be slightly faster than the 3060, which, in turn, was slightly faster than the 1070 Ti. It will do this at a massively inflated price, but it will be faster.
Well, that depends on anti-hash features in RTX 4060, and if they would affect gameplay.

4. In current year I consider an SSD a minimum requirement for doing anything on a PC without wanting to fucking kill myself.
Really? Congratulations. BTW the difference between playing ELEX on sensible HDD, and server grade SSD is 5 seconds start up time.
I'm more limited by Chrome requiring massively more RAM per tab than 10 years ago, which causes problems when I want to have 300-400 tabs open and play game on background.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom