Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What's wrong with using decent components for playing games?

Robotigan

Learned
I'm more limited by Chrome requiring massively more RAM per tab than 10 years ago, which causes problems when I want to have 300-400 tabs open and play game on background.
Because they're running each tab as its own process, it's good for security, stability, and user experience. People use browsers a lot, it's probably the most used service on home devices by far. So it makes sense for browsers to gobble up as much memory the OS will give them. They're the star app. Also some websites :argh: are running as many ad scripts as they can get away with.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
"Server grade" is not conducive to making a good gaming PC, at least not anymore.

It used to be things like RAID technology, massive amounts of PCI-e lanes, etc., could make a real difference, but within the last ten years the two markets (server tech and gaming class) have diverged much farther apart.

Ironically, a great gaming PC could easily play the role of a good server other than storage capacity.

deuxhero

Arcane
Ironically, a great gaming PC could easily play the role of a good server other than storage capacity.
How much storage are we talking? Plenty of game machines have HDDs that store media and older/smaller games (which don't really benefit from an SSD) to supplement their SSD

Readher

Savant
I looked at minimum requirements, and they are crazy.
Basically they were writen by person who has no clue about PC hardware.

CPU: i7-6800K.
Yea... it looks sensible. Right? It's 6xxx series, 6 core... That stuff with Skylake era... But it's actually Broadwell CPU, and it's FUCKING server CPU, namely HIGH END server CPU with quad channel memory controller which is completely unusable for gaming. I know that because I had it's one generation older cousin, and I switched to dual channel DDR4 CPU that didn't eat 90 watts, and was more stable. Also I can run linpack with only 72 watts instead of 130 W which I'd need for 4 GHz fixed speed.

So yea, that's not a minimal CPU, that CPU is more expensive and tough than the CPU in recommended settings. I actually doubt someone who could afford the minimum CPU listed is still using that CPU for gaming.

So that was idiocy number 1.

Idiocy n. 2 is they are trying to force 6-core requirement at us as minimum requirement.

Idiocy n. 3 is GTX 1070 Ti as minimum requirement. Who could afford that? Not me. Also NVidia plans RTX 4050 and RTX 4060 as new mainstream. And frankly I expect RTX 4060 would be slower than GTX 1070 Ti.

Idiocy n. 4 SSD is requirement.
Like what? Why would a game developer list SSD as REQUIREMENT. There is basically only one reason why list SSD as requirement. If game can't load ahead and chache data, then game needs low latency access to data. But, frankly Bethesda had programmers that were better than random person from India/China who bought theirs engineering title.

I actually expect when someone would remove DRM, the game would run on 4-core flawlessly, and at 20 percent higher speed.
You living under a rock or something? 6 core is a must unless you like your games to chug like a motherfucker with stutters every 5 seconds and terrible lows. Windows is more resource hungry than it used to be, this isn't a console where the OS barely has any overhead, and even then, we've had 8 cores since the last gen, even if they were shitty Jaguar ones. A 6/12 5600x is $175 with 23% tax included. If you can't afford that, maybe rethink your priorities. CPUs are priced better than ever, and AM4 has some really cheap mobos. You could get B450M PRO-VDH MAX for less than $50 2 years ago, and it can handle every AM4 CPU. It's only with AM5 that they started jewing everyone with mobo prices.

The frametime graph literally looks like pulse in most of the games.

1070 Ti is ancient at this point. It's not the devs fault that Njudea and AyyMD are ripping everyone off with their GPU pricing. Consoles don't have that problem, and they're the baseline.

The reason why SSD is a requirement is because of a fuckton of high res textures that need to load quickly. Your basement budget German shovelware with graphics from 2 gens ago doesn't even come close to Starfield, and even then Bethesda isn't at the top of the industry in graphics department. If games cached data as you suggest, you'd be crying that they require 16 GB of VRAM, which your current piece of shit GPU certainly doesn't have.

You're right about 6800k though. It's retarded to even mention it, no one is using that shit.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
2080 series GPU and 8700k CPU will more than suffice for this. Can’t imagine why anyone wastes money on more recently manufactured parts, it’s not like the good old days where you actually got something for your money. Reminds me of bad MMO design, ‘pay 1500 USD for a 7% GPU performance boost’. No thanks.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I used to spend a good amount of my pay on computer upgrades or whole new systems so I could play all the latest games. I always had the highest end PC that I could afford at the time. But around 10 years ago after so many disappointing games that didn't live up to their hype I started to realize how much of a swindle gaming has become.

It makes no difference if you have a $2000 PC or a $4000 monster. The games are fucking shit.

Kiste

Augur
I used to spend a good amount of my pay on computer upgrades or whole new systems so I could play all the latest games. I always had the highest end PC that I could afford at the time. But around 10 years ago after so many disappointing games that didn't live up to their hype I started to realize how much of a swindle gaming has become.

It makes no difference if you have a $2000 PC or a $4000 monster. The games are fucking shit.
See the boomer.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Isn't much difference between a $500 PS5 and a $5000 PC tbh. All those extra frames and pixels don't make a huge difference. The human eye can only detect so much. It can be argued that anything beyond 60 fps and 4k resolution is useless. There is no reason to buy a PC besides mods. Other than that it's just gloating about how much money you can spend.

tritosine2k

Erudite

See the boomer.
It's true though, even worse PC gamers content with glorified office displays that have ~40buck BOM (bill of material). And games are even developed on that in bright offices LOL, we're talking 1:10, 1:50 contrast ratio. At least when these flatscreens were new there was some excitement it will improve greatly and it didn't & most gamers became OLED errand boys spewing thinly veiled marketing.

Ryzer

Arcane
Jesus, Why paying for such rig when no game in the market fully use such processing capability?

Let alone being good.

Rig that is going to get outclassed in what? 5-6 years?

Reinhardt

Arcane
there is nothing to upgrade for.
this winter because of constant wartime blackouts i've lost one ram plank and hdd for torrents, so went and bought new ones. and then bought newer gpu and some other parts, because why not. and... didn't even installed them in the end, only replaced broken parts.

Yosharian

Arcane
CPU: 7800X3D (£454) & Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 (£92)
RAM: G.Skill Trident 32GB 6000MHz CL30-38-38-96 (£168)
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 Plus Platinum Modular (£151)
SSD: 2x Samsung 970 Evo 2TB, 2x Sabrent Rocket 1TB, 1x Crucial MX500 1TB (£617)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 10GB (£729) (bought at release)
MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A (£380)
CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P600S & ARCTIC BioniX F140 (£155)
AUDIO: Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC & Marantz PM6006 Amp & Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (£824)
MONITORS: AW3423DW (£1011) & 2x AOC 24G2U5/BK (£300)
PERIPHERALS: Keyboardio M100 (£242) & Qpad 8K (£50) & Kinesis Savant Elite2 (£163)
Total cost: £5336

And the desk cost like £600

Some of this stuff I bought a few years ago so I didn't get as good a price for it as I could do now

Ryzer

Arcane
What, You can have a much better rig with that price.

A rig with SLI, last gen Ryzen CPU, 32 GB ram, 2x RTX 4090, already assembled

You didn't get a good deal, mate.

See here: link + buy a spare 4090.

Yosharian

Arcane

Sure, point out which component I could have gotten cheaper, there's probably a good reason it cost what it did such as availability and so on

Ryzer

Arcane

Sure, point out which component I could have gotten cheaper, there's probably a good reason it cost what it did such as availability and so on
I already did.

The PC I posted, is much more powerful and cost 1500+ $ less.

German websites resellers are the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom