Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kiste

Augur
I can't wait for this RTX/DLSS meme to end. Nvidia just gets to laugh their asses off while morons, incapable of basic math, continue to slop up their shit. The 6 gorillion dollar 4090 is only 100% better than the 1080 ti. THREE generations, and a power bracket, back.

That won't happen. Yes, the 4090 only has twice the performance of the 1080ti in terms of pure rasterizer power . It has also 6.5x the transistor count. So why did they not just double the 1080ti (12b transistors) and make a 25b transistor GPU with twice the performance? What are the extra 50b transistors for?

Nvidida doesn't blow 50b transistors on just a "meme".

Yosharian

Arcane
NVIDIA is obviously betting all their chips on DLSS 3. Time will tell whether AI frame generation turns out to be the future of gaming

tritosine2k

Erudite
I can't wait for this RTX/DLSS meme to end. Nvidia just gets to laugh their asses off while morons, incapable of basic math, continue to slop up their shit. The 6 gorillion dollar 4090 is only 100% better than the 1080 ti. THREE generations, and a power bracket, back.

That won't happen. Yes, the 4090 only has twice the performance of the 1080ti in terms of pure rasterizer power . It has also 6.5x the transistor count. So why did they not just double the 1080ti (12b transistors) and make a 25b transistor GPU with twice the performance? What are the extra 50b transistors for?

Nvidida doesn't blow 50b transistors on just a "meme".
quadro obviously, dude they barely mention gaming in presentations anyomore. & DLSS is inherently junk because it's post process theres barely scene information there beyond rudimentary motion vectors they have papers admitting it's rudimentary too. You need ray tracing to clean up TAA/DLSS edges and it ends up more expensive than MSAA, but in reality you don't need to clean it up because displays suck so hard.

Kiste

Augur
quadro obviously, dude they barely mention gaming in presentations anyomore. & DLSS is inherently junk because it's post process theres barely scene information there beyond rudimentary motion vectors they have papers admitting it's rudimentary too.
DLSS isn't junk. Why? Because it works. That's all that matters. The result (at 'quality' setting) looks barely worse than native resolution. You really have to know what you're looking for (except in some pathological edge cases where it produces shit). DLSS is nice because it frees up performance in weaker cards to use on higher resolution or stuff like RTX. Do more with fewer pixels? Yes, please.

The future of gaming GPUs isn't more pixels. It's better pixels. Yes, game developers have become exceptionally good at using all sorts of rasterizer hacks and artwork trickery to fake some of the shit that raytracing does and the hacks work reasonably well - but there is only so much you can do with that.

I'm simply not interested yet another GPU generation pushing more pixels. What for? So we can play at 8k resolution with 360 FPS while still looking at the same old pre-baked lights and screen space reflections?

I don't like nVidia. Their pricing policy is atrocious and they're too fucking stingy with the VRAM. I'm still glad that they're at least trying to meaningfully advance real-time graphics for video games and DLSS is a way to make that feasable on GPUs with a lower price points than the absolute high end. For the time being. Maybe a few GPU generations down the road we won't need it anymore.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner

I guess that settles the DLSS question.

This will end well.

Edit: the copium is already spreading
image.png

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
quadro obviously, dude they barely mention gaming in presentations anyomore. & DLSS is inherently junk because it's post process theres barely scene information there beyond rudimentary motion vectors they have papers admitting it's rudimentary too.
DLSS isn't junk. Why? Because it works. That's all that matters. The result (at 'quality' setting) looks barely worse than native resolution. You really have to know what you're looking for (except in some pathological edge cases where it produces shit). DLSS is nice because it frees up performance in weaker cards to use on higher resolution or stuff like RTX. Do more with fewer pixels? Yes, please.

The future of gaming GPUs isn't more pixels. It's better pixels. Yes, game developers have become exceptionally good at using all sorts of rasterizer hacks and artwork trickery to fake some of the shit that raytracing does and the hacks work reasonably well - but there is only so much you can do with that.

I'm simply not interested yet another GPU generation pushing more pixels. What for? So we can play at 8k resolution with 360 FPS while still looking at the same old pre-baked lights and screen space reflections?

I don't like nVidia. Their pricing policy is atrocious and they're too fucking stingy with the VRAM. I'm still glad that they're at least trying to meaningfully advance real-time graphics for video games and DLSS is a way to make that feasable on GPUs with a lower price points than the absolute high end. For the time being. Maybe a few GPU generations down the road we won't need it anymore.
AMD FSR and FSR 2 work as well. I barely notice a difference, but the card consumes much less power and generates less heat, which is highly appreciated these days, considering the ambient temperature. I initially thought it was just a meme, but it's actually quite useful.

racofer

Thread Incliner
FSR1/2 doesn't hold a candle to DLSS, though. Screenshots might show some differences: sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes a bit different in favor of either technology.

However, in motion, there is no comparison. DLSS is leagues ahead of FSR.

Mortmal

Arcane
FSR1/2 doesn't hold a candle to DLSS, though. Screenshots might show some differences: sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes a bit different in favor of either technology.

However, in motion, there is no comparison. DLSS is leagues ahead of FSR.
Diddnt try DLSS , using only AMD cards since a while, but if its like rocm for image generation which is 10 years behind what nvidia do, i would believe you.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is highly likely that I, as well, will invest in a more updated machine, as my machine is now almost a decade old, and I, too, want to play Starfield.

The only question I have about this whole title is that... if most things are procedurally generated, then why can't you include stuff like fishing? Didn't Skyrim have an update that added fishing? That's the only part I'm getting suspicious of. The lack of real innovation that would excuse high machine demands.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I wonder if when Chris Roberts heard that Starfield wouldn't have any land vehicles he pumped his fist them pumped his... well, you know.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It certainly seems like there's the opportunity to add them. DLC probably. And what was that mech suit looking thing I saw in one video?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. This game lacks many features that you would think they would be included. As I said... basic interactions with the environment such as fishing. Methods of transportation, such as vehicles.

Although... if you have a proper jetpack, some things can be excused.

Robotigan

Learned
Vehicular and on-foot travel rarely mix well because they're so mechanically distinct. Vehicles are big and fast but difficult to handle, running is slower but more agile and responsive. This means that a space that supports one mode well will tend to serve the other poorly. The jetpack is pretty cool, basically a lore-friendly double jump.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom