Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elthosian

Arcane

so pretty much confirmed that this game isn't coming with dlss or xess. guess nvidia and intel users have to wait until somebody implements a script extender so they can be implemented.

That’s going to be a barebones implementation at best. DLSS works the best when finetuned on game data and I’m fairly sure that frame generation uses ground truth optical flow calculated in-engine in a way that won’t be necessarily straightforward to imitate with mods.

:negative:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
That’s going to be a barebones implementation at best. DLSS works the best when finetuned on game data and I’m fairly sure that frame generation uses ground truth optical flow calculated in-engine in a way that won’t be necessarily straightforward to imitate with mods.
DLSS isn't trained on a game-by-game basis. You can only finetune settings for your specific implementation for your specific game but not much more than that.
A DLSS/DLAA + XeSS Skyrim mod already exists and it appears to work perfectly fine.

Elthosian

Arcane
DLSS isn't trained on a game-by-game basis. You can only finetune settings for your specific implementation for your specific game but not much more than that.
A DLSS/DLAA + XeSS Skyrim mod already exists and it appears to work perfectly fine.
Seeing how most DL stuff works it’s safe to guess that they have a base model trained on a lot of data from many games and then they finetune with some data from newer games, or maybe they train every new version of the model with the data of all supported games. Regardless of the approach, the fact is the model won’t have seen any data from Starfield so specific issues might show up. Probably not that noticeable, though, if you say that Skyrim looks fine with it.

Wish we could say the same of framegen.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
^ This user is a 1080ptard, do not listen to him. Upscalers are free performance at 1440p and beyond, and boomer grognards who haven't played a new release since 2007 hate this one simple fact!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is te second game I plan on going blind in at the end of the year.

Although the whole premise sounds a bit dull… Skyrim + No Man’s Sky + Bethesdas story…

Meh. Writing this, maybe I’ll wait for spring on this one afterall.

Doesn’t sound like too much fun even blind.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Lmao why is it so difficult for people to not buy this.
Even if you're a Bethesda fan, you know damn well it's going to need dozens of mods that won't exist for months after the game's launch. The idea of D1P or pre-ordering a Bethesda game is fucking ridiculous.

It's a really competitive category, but I think this is going to be one of their worst games. It lacks the thing that all of their other games fall back on when the stories and mechanics are shit: a good hand-crafted world. Instead you're supposed to get high on wandering around empty procedurally generated rock planet #82.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Even if you're a Bethesda fan, you know damn well it's going to need dozens of mods that won't exist for months after the game's launch. The idea of D1P or pre-ordering a Bethesda game is fucking ridiculous.
I played Fallout 4 on launch and it was fine. Fallout 4 is still Fallout 4, in all its bullet spongy glory, but I don't think bugs were my problem.

Instead you're supposed to get high on wandering around empty procedurally generated rock planet #82.
That's a risk, but you literally can't know until it's out. Todd did talk about clearly segmenting generated and handmade content, and I'm willing to trust him, I think their designers have it in their mind to know that they shouldn't put it as part of the core gameplay loop.
I'm sure that when Fallout 4 had its showcase people mentioned "being forced to play Minecraft instead of questing" or some shit like that, and yet Fallout 4 came out and you didn't have to touch the settlement system at all except for building that teleporter at the end.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sure that when Fallout 4 had its showcase people mentioned "being forced to play Minecraft instead of questing" or some shit like that, and yet Fallout 4 came out and you didn't have to touch the settlement system at all except for building that teleporter at the end.
Very good point. Also worth mentioning that Fallout 4 received a solid "survival mode" that is my favorite way to play the game, and it made the settlements system useful and rewarding to engage with rather than a superfluous time waster. It would be nice if Starfield has a similar mode that asks the player to engage with mechanics that might otherwise feel tacked-on, like some of the procedural and base-building stuff could be.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
^ This user is a 1080ptard, do not listen to him. Upscalers are free performance at 1440p and beyond, and boomer grognards who haven't played a new release since 2007 hate this one simple fact!
It's not free performance. You are sacrificing quality for higher frame rates, which is a retard move. Don't buy a high resolution monitor if you're too much of a poorfag to afford a GPU that can run it at the native resolution.

I can't believe how many people have fallen for the marketing and think it's free performance, or worse, think it's a better way to do AA.

Elthosian

Arcane
It's not free performance. You are sacrificing quality for higher frame rates, which is a retard move. Don't buy a high resolution monitor if you're too much of a poorfag to afford a GPU that can run it at the native resolution.

I can't believe how many people have fallen for the marketing and think it's free performance, or worse, think it's a better way to do AA.

You know that there are plenty of reasons to have a high-resolution monitor or TV aside from gaming, right?

I have a 3090 and I still turn DLSS on most of the time to get closer to 120 FPS. I'm not on board with NVIDIA selling it as free performance while offering worse GPUs but it's a very convenient tool. And no, the difference is not even that noticeable.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
You are sacrificing quality for higher frame rates
People have been sacrificing quality for higher frame rates since the dawn of 3D rendering. What makes an upscaler bad in this instance?
Don't buy a high resolution monitor if you're too much of a poorfag to afford a GPU that can run it at the native resolution.
There's effectively zero IQ impact compared to native at 4K, it literally is free performance because you're already upscaling from such a high base resolution. At 1440p the better upscalers offer free effectively performance at higher settings. There's benefits to a higher resolution display beyond just gaming, and somebody might play their older titles at a higher resolution or supersampled, and newer ones with an upscaler or lower than native.

think it's a better way to do AA.
Compared to most developer TAA implementations? It is. MSAA is just bruteforcing image quality instead of being smart about it, good modern TAA and the upscalers beat it while being more efficient.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
SPEAKING OF BALDUR'S GATE 3 HURRRRRRRR it actually looks *sharper* with DLSS enabled than when not. It also runs probably 30% faster, or more.

Elthosian

Arcane
SPEAKING OF BALDUR'S GATE 3 HURRRRRRRR it actually looks *sharper* with DLSS enabled than when not. It also runs probably 30% faster, or more.

I find the DLAA mode provides slightly sharper results but not enough to warrant missing on the extra frames.

Vatnik Wumao
On one hand, I'd like to play Starfield sooner rather than later while waiting for BG3 to get patched. On the other hand, Starfield will probably be much more buggy on release. Then again, storywise, I'm guessing that Starfield's narrative C&C will be much less prominent and hence bugs won't be as much of an annoyance in that department for Starfield.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I had an rx580 from AMD when I bought BG3, then this week my brother gave me his "old" Nvidia 3070. The performance difference is massive, and if I turn DLSS on, its even better with no apparent fidelity impact. Compared to BG3's implementation of AMD's FSR, its night and day, with FSR on I had significant ghosting problems.

Another thing Nvidia does better is AA, with DLAA, much less blurry than other AA settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom