Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

On one hand, I'd like to play Starfield sooner rather than later while waiting for BG3 to get patched. On the other hand, Starfield will probably be much more buggy on release. Then again, storywise, I'm guessing that Starfield's narrative C&C will be much less prominent and hence bugs won't be as much of an annoyance in that department for Starfield.
Those games are just fillers until the 1.7 patch and phantom liberty when they unfuck Cyberpunk. Like removing armor from cloths and other similar no brain fixes. Of course you will have to wait a while for the modding community to catch up as well.

ropetight

Savant
On one hand, I'd like to play Starfield sooner rather than later while waiting for BG3 to get patched. On the other hand, Starfield will probably be much more buggy on release. Then again, storywise, I'm guessing that Starfield's narrative C&C will be much less prominent and hence bugs won't be as much of an annoyance in that department for Starfield.
Those games are just fillers until the 1.7 patch and phantom liberty when they unfuck Cyberpunk. Like removing armor from cloths and other similar no brain fixes. Of course you will have to wait a while for the modding community to catch up as well.
Wait will be longer though.
At least until 1.73 to unfuck the unfucking.
Since CDPR changed whole game, probably longer.
With mods supporting it properly Q2 2024 is not unreasonable.

Just Locus

Educated
So, Starfield's Main Menu leaked, looks pretty much identical to Fallout 4 and Fallout 76's main menu.

F3xgXrlXkAARTZz.jpg

Elthosian

Arcane
Or you could play Rain World and experience a true survival masterpiece :shittydog:

Or you could play Rain World and experience a true survival masterpiece :shittydog:
Seems like a cool art style. But not fan of platformers in general, but for cyberpunk 2D I enjoyed Lacuna and Gemini Rue.
For survival game Outward is king.

Just Locus

Educated
Here are some more Starfield Leaks for any Codexer's viewing pleasure:

A random Screenshot:
s1Vd9QU.png

Achievements:
1. A Legacy Forged – Complete “A Legacy Forged”
2. All That Money Can Buy – Complete “All That Money Can Buy”
3. Entangled – Complete “Entangled”
4. Executive Level – Complete “Executive Level”
5. Further Into the Unknown – Complete “Further Into the Unknown”
6. Guilty Parties – Complete “Guilty Parties”
7. High Price to Pay – Complete “High Price to Pay”
8. In Their Footsteps – Complete “In Their Footsteps”
9. Into the Unknown – Complete “Into the Unknown”
10. Legacy’s End – Complete “Legacy’s End”
11. One Giant Leap – Complete “One Giant Leap”
12. Surgical Strike – Complete “Surgical Strike”
13. The Best There Is – Complete “The Best There Is
14. The Devils You Now – Complete “The Devils You Know”
15. The Hammer Falls – Complete “The Hammer Falls”
16. Unearthed – Complete “Unearthed”
17. Dust Off – Reach Level 5
18. Traveler – Reach Level 10
19. Elite – Reach Level 25
20. Space Opera – Reach Level 50
21. Reach for the Stars – Reach Level 100
22. Back to the Grind – Join Ryujin Industries
23. Deputized – Join the Freestar Rangers
24. One Small Step – Join Constellation
25. Rook Meets King – Join the Crimson Fleet
26. Supra et Ultra – Join the UC Vanguard
27. For All, Into the Starfield – Enter Space for the First Time
28. Home Sweet Home – Build an Outpost
29. Shipping Magnate – Connect 5 Outposts with Cargo Links
30. I Use Them For Smuggling – Successfully Smuggle Contraband
31. Chief Engineer – Modify a Ship
32. Fleet Commander – Collect 10 Ships
33. Another Bug Hunt – Eliminate 300 Creatures
34. Boots on the Ground – Land on 100 Planets
35. The Stars My Destination – Visit all Star Systems
36. Stellar Cartography – Visit 20 Star Systems
37. Cyber Jockey – Bypass 50 Digital Locks
38. Dark Matter – Eliminate 300 Human Enemies
39. Fixer – Complete 30 Activities
40. Privateer – Complete 30 Terminal or Misc. Missions
41. INdustrialist – Produce 500 Total Resources from Outposts
42. Jacked In – Access 50 Computers
43. Life Begate Life – Gather 500 Organic Resources
44. Replicator – Craft 100 Items
45. Rock Collection – Gather 500 Inorganic Resources
46. Soldier of Fortune – Mod 50 Weapons
47. Thirst for Knowledge – Read 20 Skill Magazines
48. War of Angels – Collect 20 Quantum Essence
49. The Family You Choose – Recruit 10 Separate Companions
50. Starcrossed – Reach Maximum Relationship Level with a Companion

Misc Leaks(Not 100% confirmed):
- Apparently, the game runs really smoothly and lacks bugs.
- Early start (first couple of hours) in the game isn't the open world like previous Bethesda titles, more streamlined for a narrative experience
- Playtesters have been running full multiple playthroughs, still discovering things that they weren't even aware of
- Dialogue is apparently the best they've done - skipping conversations may be to the detriment of the player
- Coming from an undefined source: " The amount of systems at play is a little overwhelming. The first few hours kinda bombard you with tutorial after tutorial of different systems. More casual players will want to set aside longer than they might usually reserve to play a game, at least ~4 hours, just to get past extended tutorial stuff in one sitting. Performance is good. The game looks great and runs well, stable. Stuff, when you're flying, is a little choppier but still mostly good. On the bug front, Bethesda's best-ever title, seeing comments from multiple people with 10+ hours of game time who have not yet seen one bug. Microsoft sicking their playtesters on this seemed to do the trick."

Just Locus

Educated
It took me 4 minutes to sort out the achievements by numbers because I kept fucking up the number order, my arthritis' ridden hands beat me yet again :cry:

Robotigan

Learned
I would say I'm philosophically opposed to upscaling and frame generation. Fundamentally, it's making up data that isn't there which means you can construct ways to trick them. If it looks sharper/smoother than native, that's because your brain is picking up on superficial characteristics as a proxy for fidelity. And to me, that just confirms that we've jumped the graphics shark where now pixels and frames have superseded the very things they're meant to represent. Plus, you already have a neural net that upscales image quality for you, your brain.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skimmed Just Locus' leaked achievement list and found a couple with new information:
39. Fixer – Complete 30 Activities
40. Privateer – Complete 30 Terminal or Misc. Missions
So there are things called "Activities", implying systems around ... what? Minigames? Bowling dates a la GTA4? Popup events?
And then there are "Terminal missions", implying an online "job board" to generate procedural missions. Like, log onto a bulletin board terminal and get beast hunter jobs, fetch quests etc.

Interesting.

Elthosian

Arcane
Any story leaks? Where the aliens? Can aliens shapeshift into bears? Post the important stuff.

I've seen some stuff about there being
space magic you learn from artifacts and such.

Kinda disappointed about that given that Bethesda's writers won't be able to make it feel organic. Hope it doesn't end up being the prelude to making it Star Wars but worse (if that's even possible).

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Any story leaks? Where the aliens? Can aliens shapeshift into bears? Post the important stuff.

I've seen some stuff about there being
space magic you learn from artifacts and such.

Kinda disappointed about that given that Bethesda's writers won't be able to make it feel organic. Hope it doesn't end up being the prelude to making it Star Wars but worse (if that's even possible).

Yeah, that's disappointing. They're going the Mass Effect route.

Elthosian

Arcane
I would say I'm philosophically opposed to upscaling and frame generation. Fundamentally, it's making up data that isn't there which means you can construct ways to trick them. If it looks sharper/smoother than native, that's because your brain is picking up on superficial characteristics as a proxy for fidelity. And to me, that just confirms that we've jumped the graphics shark where now pixels and frames have superseded the very things they're meant to represent. Plus, you already have a neural net that upscales image quality for you, your brain.

I'd say framegen is easier to justify, it's closer to generating new frames in-engine than to making them up with neural net wizardry. The thing is you can export 3D optical flow and motion vectors from the engine into the neural network which makes generating intermediate frames very easy since you can take into account all aspects of how an object is moving and where they're located in the 3D environment.

This is a result from 2017-2018 work in which the optical flow was calculated from the input images, and even then, the results were astonishing, so you can imagine that having the "real" thing improves results significantly. In fact, the biggest issue with it is that in some games they don't overlay the UI on top of the framegen result the UI, as a 2D element, suffers a bit.

Then there are latency issues and so on which are a bigger concern but I usually play slow-paced games so not a problem for me.

ropetight

Savant
Space exploration via maths and hard work à la Heinlein isn't sexy enough, everyone wants to write in the monoliths from 2001.
Remove FTL, put full featured Newtonian physics with braking maneuvers, and you loose 90% of the player base.
People love their power fantasies, especially in RPG's and Bethesda knows it must cater to that to sell millions.
Member the dragons from Skyrim?

Iucounu

Educated
41. INdustrialist – Produce 500 Total Resources from Outposts
43. Life Begate Life – Gather 500 Organic Resources
45. Rock Collection – Gather 500 Inorganic Resources
I must admit, doing all that does sound like an achievement.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"The Stars My Destination – Visit all Star Systems"

Martin: As your president, I would demand a science-fiction library, featuring an ABC of the overlords of the genre. Asimov, Bester, Clarke!
Student: What about Ray Bradbury?
Martin: [dismissive] I'm aware of his work...
simpsonsabcssciencefiqvcaj.png

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Space exploration via maths and hard work à la Heinlein isn't sexy enough, everyone wants to write in the monoliths from 2001.
Remove FTL, put full featured Newtonian physics with braking maneuvers, and you loose 90% of the player base.
People love their power fantasies, especially in RPG's and Bethesda knows it must cater to that to sell millions.
Member the dragons from Skyrim?
I wish the Buck Rogers in the XXVc setting had not been forgotten even if it had been made to milk TSR. The ideas and concepts in it were a lot better than what I have seen so far in Starfield and its all within our solar system, eliminating the need for a FTL plot device.

SSI had made a couple of Goldbox games with these but I would love to have seen the FNV approach on this setting. Just completely remove the Buck Rogers IP as it barely mattered anyway, even the original designers of the setting wondered why they had to use it as it was barely known any more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom