Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Butter

Arcane
Patron
xFSfVVY.jpg
Do we know that that's even supposed to be Jupiter? The colour and rings are wrong. If it is, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's Callisto not Io, but that would be such a Bethesda mistake to make.

Do we know that that's even supposed to be Jupiter? The colour and rings are wrong. If it is, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that it's Callisto not Io, but that would be such a Bethesda mistake to make.
You can see jupiter on the overmap, and it has the same colors as on the screenshot above
https://i.imgur.com/ELtfiAI.jpg

the colors look inverted for some reason, but maybe interpretation on the left is wrong idk

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You can see jupiter on the overmap, and it has the same colors as on the screenshot above
https://i.imgur.com/ELtfiAI.jpg

the colors look inverted for some reason, but maybe interpretation on the left is wrong idk
All "real" pictures from space are an artist's interpretation

Modron

Arcane
MoonTextureFixHDv27665.zip
230gb
Amateur numbers I remember someone here used 2 TBs of satelite terrain photos to redo the Spanish coast in Microsoft Flight Simulator, I want to say it was Burning Bridges but my memory is a bit hazy on the exact poster plus it was old shoutbox.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The designers of the Buck Rogers RPG published by TSR were surely aware that Lorraine Williams, who acquired control of TSR in October 1985, was one of the heirs to the Buck Rogers fortune and interested in revitalizing the IP, though she ultimately failed. :M

It's likely that Buck Rogers was the reason TSR abruptly cancelled its Star Frontiers RPG series, which seems to have been doing fairly well in terms of sales when Lorraine Williams acquired TSR.
I didn't know that TSR had a science fiction RPG IP before the Buck Rogers one. The issue regarding Lorraine Williams and the Buck Rogers IP and its impact on TSR is a bit complicated. Yes there was an interest in revitalizing the Buck Rogers but from articles about what happened behind the scene at TSR, more was going on and the Buck Rogers RPG sadly was used to transfer money away from TSR. I can't give you all the details as I would have to dig for these.

Buck Rogers is one of my old favorites, would love to see something newer in that universe/system.

Solar system is great setting for getting rid of FTL nonsense (if you have enough energy for FTL drive - your civilization must be post-scarcity utopia like Star Trek, not some ragtag band of frontier men).
Planets and their numerous moons have enough locations to make a game.
If that is not enough - asteroid belt, Kuiper belt and Oort cloud have enough space and to make it look enormous and mysterious for exploration.
Yes, a lot of people seem to forget that our own solar system is quite a big place that will keep humanity busy with exploring and colonizing for centuries if we work out how to get there and find ways of settling on these worlds. Somehow popular sci fi shows have created this idea for the audience and Hollywood writers that the solar system would be running out of room and resources in a matter of a couple of generation.
Space settings, especially ones that focus on humanity don't require dozens and dozens of star systems when the general theme is about exploration and taming the new frontiers.

And if aliens are really that necessary, throw in alien probes or some sleeper or seed ship.

(if you have enough energy for FTL drive - your civilization must be post-scarcity utopia like Star Trek, not some ragtag band of frontier men).
Good point. Usually writers/designers resort to using mega corporations to explain the scarcity of resources, technology, etc in a universe where FTL exists and is relatively common. Or the financial costs. But I have to think that this would fit only when the setting is one solar system and reaching other star systems is really difficult because there is not FTL, and instead generation ships, sleepers ships, or seed ships. But these kind of missions would have to be completely self sufficient, able to to set up its own infrastructure and economies as corporations back on Earth would never see any return in their investments. Shipping resources and products back would be pointless.

Slander, the big three were always Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke
I read quite some Heinlein when I was a late teen. Might sound dumb but Heinlein is or was probably one of the best introduction to science fiction for teens who wanted something more than just Star Wars, Star Trek, and generic sci-fi movies.
Clarke I have only started recently checking out again though I did read "Rendezvous with Rama" years ago (I never bothered with the sequels). I got this collection of his short stories now I want to get through. Some of his earlier work aged poorly though.
Asimov I genuinely tried but I just could not get through Foundation (I really loved the Del Rey covers pained by Michael Whelan. I want posters from those).

I also have read a lot of Niven. I rather like the Known Space books even if they are outdated content wise. They have this sort of pseudo Star Trek shared universe feeling. I do hate it though that the man resorted to explaining that his characters lied in some of his stories to explain retcons in books like the Ringworld series.
I figure it is more likely that humanity goes extinct or sent back to the stone age than colonizing the solar system.

There simply isn't any incentive beyond resources that could easily be towed to orbit and mined by drones.

Keeping humans alive in deep space is a gigantic waste of resources with no benefit.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I figure it is more likely that humanity goes extinct or sent back to the stone age than colonizing the solar system.

There simply isn't any incentive beyond resources that could easily be towed to orbit and mined by drones.

Keeping humans alive in deep space is a gigantic waste of resources with no benefit.
We are talking in the context of a video game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The designers of the Buck Rogers RPG published by TSR were surely aware that Lorraine Williams, who acquired control of TSR in October 1985, was one of the heirs to the Buck Rogers fortune and interested in revitalizing the IP, though she ultimately failed. :M

It's likely that Buck Rogers was the reason TSR abruptly cancelled its Star Frontiers RPG series, which seems to have been doing fairly well in terms of sales when Lorraine Williams acquired TSR.
I didn't know that TSR had a science fiction RPG IP before the Buck Rogers one. The issue regarding Lorraine Williams and the Buck Rogers IP and its impact on TSR is a bit complicated. Yes there was an interest in revitalizing the Buck Rogers but from articles about what happened behind the scene at TSR, more was going on and the Buck Rogers RPG sadly was used to transfer money away from TSR. I can't give you all the details as I would have to dig for these.

Buck Rogers is one of my old favorites, would love to see something newer in that universe/system.

Solar system is great setting for getting rid of FTL nonsense (if you have enough energy for FTL drive - your civilization must be post-scarcity utopia like Star Trek, not some ragtag band of frontier men).
If that is not enough - asteroid belt, Kuiper belt and Oort cloud have enough space and to make it look enormous and mysterious for exploration.
Yes, a lot of people seem to forget that our own solar system is quite a big place that will keep humanity busy with exploring and colonizing for centuries if we work out how to get there and find ways of settling on these worlds. Somehow popular sci fi shows have created this idea for the audience and Hollywood writers that the solar system would be running out of room and resources in a matter of a couple of generation.
Space settings, especially ones that focus on humanity don't require dozens and dozens of star systems when the general theme is about exploration and taming the new frontiers.

And if aliens are really that necessary, throw in alien probes or some sleeper or seed ship.

(if you have enough energy for FTL drive - your civilization must be post-scarcity utopia like Star Trek, not some ragtag band of frontier men).
Good point. Usually writers/designers resort to using mega corporations to explain the scarcity of resources, technology, etc in a universe where FTL exists and is relatively common. Or the financial costs. But I have to think that this would fit only when the setting is one solar system and reaching other star systems is really difficult because there is not FTL, and instead generation ships, sleepers ships, or seed ships. But these kind of missions would have to be completely self sufficient, able to to set up its own infrastructure and economies as corporations back on Earth would never see any return in their investments. Shipping resources and products back would be pointless.

I read quite some Heinlein when I was a late teen. Might sound dumb but Heinlein is or was probably one of the best introduction to science fiction for teens who wanted something more than just Star Wars, Star Trek, and generic sci-fi movies.
Clarke I have only started recently checking out again though I did read "Rendezvous with Rama" years ago (I never bothered with the sequels). I got this collection of his short stories now I want to get through. Some of his earlier work aged poorly though.
Asimov I genuinely tried but I just could not get through Foundation (I really loved the Del Rey covers pained by Michael Whelan. I want posters from those).

I also have read a lot of Niven. I rather like the Known Space books even if they are outdated content wise. They have this sort of pseudo Star Trek shared universe feeling. I do hate it though that the man resorted to explaining that his characters lied in some of his stories to explain retcons in books like the Ringworld series.

Not because they are easy but because they are hard etc etc

ropetight

Savant

Not really.
Humans can live on some water and microbes for the soil to raise (probably) mushrooms and some plants.
Plants are symbiotic with Humans due to oxygen-co2 cycle.
Water is combination of most common element in the universe (hydrogen) ad third most common element (oxygen), so it is pretty common.
Energy is almost free with solar panels in space being easier to maintain than on Earth.

Incentives... there was not much incentives colonizing Midwest beyond resources, but after a while, whole communities sprung.
Some of them were undesirables, some wanted new start.
What is common, people like to have company with them - so if there is only a couple them needed for better managing the drones, as soon as it is possible, expect their families and then the whole infrastructure goes along them.

And don't forget the scientists.
As soon as the light travels more than 10 minutes, you have asynchronous communications, which massively complicates explorations.
So they would want to go to outer Sol observatories personally for the observations beyond the heliosphere.
Without distortions from Suns magnetic field and surrounding plasma they will reveal the data that will probably make JWST look like your average amateur telescope.
These will be crucial for further space explorations.
2560px-PIA17046_-_Voyager_1_Goes_Interstellar.jpg

So, plenty of reasons to go to the "deep space".

Late Bloomer

Scholar
My instincts are telling me this game will be a total disaster. Am I wrong, and if so, why?

A disaster how? Sales? Certainly not. It will sell incredibly well. If you mean the game won't be fun, then that is highly unlikely. No matter you own personal preference, Bethesda Game Studios hasn't released a disaster other than Fallout 76. There are signs of troubled development. This is an original IP. But those aren't enough to warrant a disaster. It won't be a NMS release situation. The game will be fun to a large amount of people. The people that auto-dislike anything Bethesda does have no effect on sales or normies having fun.

Elthosian

Arcane
Multiple gamebyro games have cars etc, I doubt it's an engine limitation but rather a gameplay choice, moving a-to-b on foot is likely the focus and they don't want to balance the exploration around having a car to do so. I'm 100% sure we'll see mechs in an expansion though, hopefully they let you bring them into space so I can finally have a good Gundam game.
But why make moving on foot the focus when they are bothering to render such huge planets? It doesn’t make sense thematically; sounds to me like an artificial way to keep players walled within a radius around the landing areas.

Moink

Cipher
Multiple gamebyro games have cars etc, I doubt it's an engine limitation but rather a gameplay choice, moving a-to-b on foot is likely the focus and they don't want to balance the exploration around having a car to do so. I'm 100% sure we'll see mechs in an expansion though, hopefully they let you bring them into space so I can finally have a good Gundam game.
But why make moving on foot the focus when they are bothering to render such huge planets?
Because you aren't going to be exploring huge planets, you'll be exploring the 10x10km cube the game generates around your landing zone.

TheCumGuzzler

Educated
I'm only excited for this game because someone will make a hardcore survival mod or a difficulty mod like FROST and Requiem, the only way to enjoy gameplay in a modern Bethesda game for me.

Robotigan

Learned
Because you aren't going to be exploring huge planets, you'll be exploring the 10x10km cube the game generates around your landing zone.
I've explained this so many times I'm losing my mind, but yes this essentially combined with whatever essential quest locations or save data is loaded on top of it. The planets aren't going to be near real scale because then the game would be literal petabytes of total boredom. You'll probably be able to walk "around" as if they were spherical--probably more of a distorted cube but you won't notice that on-surface--because wrapping world cells is not the massive technical hurdle everyone seems to think it is. Just look up circular arrays, it's not that complicated.
But why make moving on foot the focus when they are bothering to render such huge planets? It doesn’t make sense thematically; sounds to me like an artificial way to keep players walled within a radius around the landing areas.
Codex is going to hate me for this: If the distances involved are so vast that you're adding in new modes of locomotion purely to get somewhere faster, you should just let the player "teleport" there with fast travel. Making vehicles is not difficult. Making good vehicles that players use for anything beyond defacto fast travel is much harder. But anyway the reason Bethesda doesn't do vehicles is because they make their world cells really "heavy" so they can only stream in so fast.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Not really.
Humans can live on some water and microbes for the soil to raise (probably) mushrooms and some plants.
Water is combination of most common element in the universe (hydrogen) ad third most common element (oxygen), so it is pretty common.
Energy is almost free with solar panels in space being easier to maintain than on Earth.

Incentives... there was not much incentives colonizing Midwest beyond resources, but after a while, whole communities sprung.
What is common, people like to have company with them - so if there is only a couple them needed for better managing the drones, as soon as it is possible, expect their families and then the whole infrastructure goes along them.

As soon as the light travels more than 10 minutes, you have asynchronous communications, which massively complicates explorations.
So they would want to go to outer Sol observatories personally for the observations beyond the heliosphere.
Without distortions from Suns magnetic field and surrounding plasma they will reveal the data that will probably make JWST look like your average amateur telescope.

Any of those can be done cheaper by machines.

ropetight

Savant

Not really.

Any of those can be done cheaper by machines.
Good luck with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom