Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Late Bloomer

Scholar

Bethesda’s Pete Hines Calls Out Former Blizzard WoW Team Lead Over ‘Rushed’ Starfield Start Screen Comments

Pete Hines (senior vp of global marketing and communications, president of Bethesda male feminist club)
"Or they designed what they wanted and that’s been our menu for years and was one of the first things we settled on", Hines wrote on Twitter. He continued, "Having an opinion is one thing. Questioning out a developer’s “care” because you would have done it differently is highly unprofessional coming from another “dev”."

https://wccftech.com/bethesdas-pete...-over-rushed-starfield-start-screen-comments/

AlA27Ndz_400x400.jpg

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This tweet has made a whole lot of people butthurt, both on twitter and reddit.

Its a pretty bland menu, I dont get why people are so triggered by his take and have a urge to attack the guy and defend the design.

If this was any other studio then maybe, maybe that argument would make sense.

But since this is "King of Bland Gaming" Bethesda, the argument seems very meh.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The absolute chutzpah on Pete Hines to call anybody else unprofessional. Best play was to take the L and say something like "It's just the start screen. We figured it was more important to focus on gameplay." Letting the world know that you wanted your start screen to look like a bland piece of shit isn't a great look.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The absolute chutzpah on Pete Hines to call anybody else unprofessional. Best play was to take the L and say something like "It's just the start screen. We figured it was more important to focus on gameplay." Letting the world know that you wanted your start screen to look like a bland piece of shit isn't a great look.

It was decided on early on because it was a placeholder, but then they spent years in development hell so it's just the thing now.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Shitposting aside, does anyone actually care what the start screen of their games look like?

I think having a nice start screen with good music can be inspiring in it's own way. It can also have a powerful effect on nostalgia when you fire up an old game years later. They aren't necessary, but I would expect some effort to be made from a game like Starfield.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about the likes of Morrowind?

Morrowind looks pretty good and fits the setting. Even if it could use a bit more color (the inventory background that is).

Skyrim is probably the worst of them all. Just white on black.

Zeriel

Arcane
My guess is it won't be unfathomably broken, but I have been getting "flop" vibes from it all along. It just lacks a major draw and sexy factor that Fallout and TES had, speaking of Bethesda's other recent franchises. All I can really say for it is Bethesda's usual game traits & the possible fantasy of open world space stuff, but that veneer fell pretty flat very quick in, say, Fallout 4 with the settlement system.

TLDR: mods that turn all your spaceship NPCs into breeding machines with birthing hips will save it.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Forget what you know about the game. Tell me this doesn't get you 100x more hyped to press New.

Scrolling paper maps and instrumental orchestral music. Very respectable.

One of the best ideas for something like Starfield, I think, would be the Half-Life 2 menu screens:

Just replace the chapter screens with random live scenes from a bar or spaceship crew compartment, or some alien savannah.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just replace the chapter screens with random live scenes from a bar or spaceship crew compartment, or some alien savannah.
Love this. I think HL2 also only showed scenes from places you'd explored recently? Like you didn't see some of the big set pieces until after you'd played through them. Been a while though so I may be dreaming this.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Some planet views would also be nice. Looking up from a moon at a ringed gas giant for example. Or see the terrifying beauty of a pulsar from a distance.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I think HL2 also only showed scenes from places you'd explored recently? Like you didn't see some of the big set pieces until after you'd played through them. Been a while though so I may be dreaming this.
Different start screens depending on which chapter your last save was on, Portal 2 also did this.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think HL2 also only showed scenes from places you'd explored recently? Like you didn't see some of the big set pieces until after you'd played through them. Been a while though so I may be dreaming this.
Different start screens depending on which chapter your last save was on, Portal 2 also did this.
Yeah. Such a nice touch. Starfield could have a planetscape or city scene from wherever your last save was.

Sidebar, Jagged Alliance 3 does the same thing. Even better it shows your most recently active squad overlooking the sector they were last in. Just such a nice connection with my team starting right when I boot up the game. Love this trend (and yes, that means thank you XCOM).

JA3_2023-08-19-211439082resize.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom