Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Big RPG's seem to take about 7 - 8 years to develop.

We are in another situation of going basically 3 - 4 years with nothing but a broken Cyberpunk release and BG3 EA.. to a bunch of big titles coming out all at once.
RPG's of this scope are such a rare commodity that I think anyone who has even a fleeting interest in them, already has them all pre-ordered / on their to-buy list.

Does Bethesda really fear any single title eating their lunch except maybe GTA 6? If you want a Large Open World RPG Game.. Bethesda and CDPR and like.. maybe Zelda(?) are the only ones even making anything.

Caim

Arcane
Does Bethesda really fear any single title eating their lunch except maybe GTA 6?
Honestly, GTA6 could be big, but we have to wait on just how bad the trailers are going to be going by what we've seen so far. The bigger question is GTA Online: that is currently financially the most successful single entertainment product in human history, so Rockstar has to expand on this with a new world if they don't want to lose a nautical fucktonne of players on the jump to the next game.

Elthosian

Arcane

We are in another situation of going basically 3 - 4 years with nothing but a broken Cyberpunk release and BG3 EA.. to a bunch of big titles coming out all at once.
RPG's of this scope are such a rare commodity that I think anyone who has even a fleeting interest in them, already has them all pre-ordered / on their to-buy list.

Does Bethesda really fear any single title eating their lunch except maybe GTA 6? If you want a Large Open World RPG Game.. Bethesda and CDPR and like.. maybe Zelda(?) are the only ones even making anything.

I doubt they fear a single title, but the game is pretty cheap to get through Game Pass. What they (Microsoft) feared was having several lengthy titles coming out for PS5 in a season when this game was supposed to shrink the 20 million console gap between it and XSX/S.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I doubt they fear a single title, but the game is pretty cheap to get through Game Pass. What they (Microsoft) feared was having several lengthy titles coming out for PS5 in a season when this game was supposed to shrink the 20 million console gap between it and XSX/S.

Are people really gonna rush out and buy Xbox systems the day Starfield drops? Not sure why release date matters in that way.
Either they already bought one or will wait a while after it releases to see if the hype holds up.. No?

Anything is possible I guess but if you've already bought a PS5, I expect you to review bomb Starfield on metacritic for a few weeks at least before biting the bullet and ordering a new console. :lol:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Does Bethesda really fear any single title eating their lunch except maybe GTA 6?
Honestly, GTA6 could be big, but we have to wait on just how bad the trailers are going to be going by what we've seen so far. The bigger question is GTA Online: that is currently financially the most successful single entertainment product in human history, so Rockstar has to expand on this with a new world if they don't want to lose a nautical fucktonne of players on the jump to the next game.

GTA {current_year} could possibly be shit.. Rockstar has all but been co-opted by san fran diversity hires, there's no way it ends up tonally the same game as even GTA 5.. buttt GTA is one of those games - it's impact is huge - a huge demographic of "gamers" really see their console as the "GTA playing machine" and will really not buy or play anything else.

GTA 5 online reminds me of the Skyrim Modding Scene. Skyrim eclipses Oblivion, Falllout 4, <insert any other game> in user engagement / mod count.

RDR 2 online was basically dead on arrival.. I think your right, GTA 6 will really need to "bring it" or everyone is just gonna stay on GTA 5 forever.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
The actual background art is a dark featureless planetoid, reminding us of the swarthy cast
:hahano:
starfieldmenuxtfgj.png

I think when you get to the point where you're offhandedly calling Arthur Clarke a hack
If you're trying to defend Starfield by using a sacred cow I tipped over to distract people from the game then I should remind you that discussions about authors should take place in the library section of the forum, and also that even if he was a hack Starfield's "writers" are infinitely worse with a proven track record of producing the worst writing in video games, and that's saying something. If you're an autist that grew up with the IGNs of literary reviews calling Clarke the best writer ever and you feel that because I grew up reading Slavic science fiction and wasn't very impressed with him even before I learned that he was a gay pedophile that this invalidates whatever else I have to say then I feel sorry for you. Some people certainly feel that not respecting their childhood memories is a personal attack on them, but that's a topic for another thread.
Beat this straggots:

Possibly one of the best game main menus ever made, I don't think I need to subject it to an analysis for people to understand just how perfect it is. What you didn't mention is that this attention to detail, skill and artistry, as well as period atmosphere is present in the rest of the game from beginning to end. The moment you boot the game up and find yourself in that menu you know it is a high quality game, proving the game menu theory of video games true with the rest of the game being precisely that.

Elthosian

Arcane

Are people really gonna rush out and buy Xbox systems the day Starfield drops? Not sure why release date matters in that way.
Either they already bought one or will wait a while after it releases to see if the hype holds up.. No?

Anything is possible I guess but if you've already bought a PS5, I expect you to review bomb Starfield on metacritic for a few weeks at least before biting the bullet and ordering a new console. :lol:
Well, of course it’s something you’d have to measure after at least 6 months, but I don’t see what other metric there is for the game’s success given that around 25 million subscribers will be able to get it for ”free”. Most Xbox players are already subscribed anyways because it’s the only way to play online.

We will have the Steam sales numbers I guess.

Gargaune

Magister
What is the raison d'être for Starfield? Is this someone's dream project they moved mountains to get? Or another consoom product game?
I suspect the Starfield IP must be a genuine aspiration among the creative brass at Bethesda since they're putting their lucrative Elder Scrolls and Fallout brands on the backburner for it. It runs contrary to traditional publisher "wisdom", who'd sooner keep milking even franchises already on death's door than gamble on new IP, so the suits must've come under considerable pressure to agree to it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"It means the world to us" in a game that takes place in space. :nocountryforshitposters:

Otherwise it's bland but it did remind me of the titlescreen of Tremulous which was even blander but the music was dope and the game great so no big deal.

Gargaune

Magister
Yo, what's the over/under on Starfield actually needing Windows 10 version 22H2? I'm still running 21H1, not sure whether I can be arsed to update by September.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I'm looking for a new game to hate on even though I never play it, but Bethesda is really dropping the ball here as far as inspiring my hatred. Title screens and system specs? Booooring. Where's the cringe stuff at?

Ulysa

Scholar
Music is good and all but I miss games that have a theme with a distinct melody. Even Mass Effect has one.

jungl

Augur
the games looking like another fallout 76. The hype consume product glitter is finally clearing up from peoples eyes. Baldurs gate 3 with its laughable linearity multiple routes resembling cheap online games of yesteryear and now starblunder. The cheap shoot people collect junk simulator gameplay what we seen from fps rpg games the past decade is not going to wow mainstream audiences and reviewers anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT97cY7gDNY

Jason Bright

Novice
the games looking like another fallout 76. The hype consume product glitter is finally clearing up from peoples eyes. Baldurs gate 3 with its laughable linearity multiple routes resembling cheap online games of yesteryear and now starblunder. The cheap shoot people collect junk simulator gameplay what we seen from fps rpg games the past decade is not going to wow mainstream audiences and reviewers anymore.

Never understood how that guy in the video has a following. Almost all of his videos are like that, some variant of a parody of Gaming Youtubers who make 10 minute long take-videos with very shallow commentary and just chase the current big game. His entire channel is this joke that he seems to have done over dozens if not hundreds of videos and yet he still gets viewers and comments every time. How do people find the same joke funny over and over? It's not even a particularly clever parody.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
We have very little information, the game could be as well a F4 garbage collector simulatorm with utterly retarded setting. You can't expect something more elaborate and complicated than the past games, everything in big franchises is getting shittier and stale. Therefore the most pressing matter is how will the modding toolkits look like, how much better than CK, will community adapt the old tools quickly like xedit. Since this is creation engine 2, a successor of CE, we still don't know how it will handle the most obviously shitty things in previous titles like animations, LOD/draw distance and physics of various things, and of course multithreading which was piss poor in skyrim and fallout 4. This game is big enigma, and its frankly weird considering this is AAA game.

TheCumGuzzler

Novice

Never understood how that guy in the video has a following. Almost all of his videos are like that, some variant of a parody of Gaming Youtubers who make 10 minute long take-videos with very shallow commentary and just chase the current big game. His entire channel is this joke that he seems to have done over dozens if not hundreds of videos and yet he still gets viewers and comments every time. How do people find the same joke funny over and over? It's not even a particularly clever parody.
My honest reaction:
wB1RLuo.png

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

Schmalzy like fuck.

I’m pleasantly surprised, not one outburst of Inception ~BWWAAAMP~ flatulence bass. French horn and piano, it’s like a piece from ‘90s cinema.

Therefore the most pressing matter is how will the modding toolkits look like, how much better than CK, will community adapt the old tools quickly like xedit.

I’ve never modded a Bethesda game before, do you know how easy or difficult it is to modify an existing ‘perk’, just altering number values? Turning ‘5%’ into ‘20%’?

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I’ve never modded a Bethesda game before, do you know how easy or difficult it is to modify an existing ‘perk’, just altering number values? Turning ‘5%’ into ‘20%’?

Changing number in creation kit is not hard. Finding it is hard though. But after 3 months or so people probably wouldve documented it and popping a question would get you where to look

Robotigan

Learned
If you're an autist that grew up with the IGNs of literary reviews calling Clarke the best writer ever and you feel that because I grew up reading Slavic science fiction and wasn't very impressed with him even before I learned that he was a gay pedophile that this invalidates whatever else I have to say then I feel sorry for you. Some people certainly feel that not respecting their childhood memories is a personal attack on them, but that's a topic for another thread.
You may not be impressed by Clarke, but the International Astronomical Union was impressed enough with his work that they recognize geostationary orbits as Clarke orbits.

Just Locus

Educated
Could see it for new elder scrolls or fallout, but not for a meh game with no hype and a new ip.
I don't think so. I think a lot of people will buy it simply because it has the "Bethesda" Logo on it and they're known for their TES and Fallout so people will be hyped to see them do a new IP for once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom