Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zlaja

Arcane
There are exponentially more people in the world and more people that play games than when Skyrim came out
Wouldn't be surprised at 100m sales/players easy

Bulk of Skyrim's sales came after its release in 2011. And to date it has sold 60m copies. Arguing that Starfield will not just outsell it, but also do it by almost 2 to 1 ratio is nonsense.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another game with 125Gb SSD requirement. I've got several TB's worth of SSD's in my gaming rig (because it doubles as a work station) so I'm not one having issues, but I bet this isn't the case for a lot of other people.

If developers are going to keep pushing such large assets, it should be possible to only download the assets you are going to use. E.g. it's pointless for someone that's going to run everything on 'high' to download the 'ultra' settings assets.
In most situations that I know off, if you can ditch ultra resolution textures you might save 20-30% of overall space used up by assets.

Audio is also becoming increasingly uncompressed, quickly bloating up disk-space and for what? For audiophiles? Make uncompressed audio-files also an option.

Modron

Arcane
Games just need to go back to allowing you to specify which language audio tracks and movies to install and to let you choose which resolution of movies to include. I imagine several of these 100+ gig monstrosities could be cut down by half if you just want one language and your monitor's resolution only.

Caim

Arcane
Games just need to go back to allowing you to specify which language audio tracks and movies to install and to let you choose which resolution of movies to include. I imagine several of these 100+ gig monstrosities could be cut down by half if you just want one language and your monitor's resolution only.
Yep. 1080p and English are standard, if you want more it's all free downloads on Steam.

Shaki

Arbiter
Games just need to go back to allowing you to specify which language audio tracks and movies to install
They do, just not the official releases. Most of good torrent repacks allows you to download only specific language you want. Another reason why buying games is for cucks.

Learned
Unreal (and by extension, UT and Rune) will always have the best main menu of all time but it was such a shit tier hot take to criticize Starfield's main menu of all things.

The leak is meh as fuck by the way.

Gargaune

Arcane
Another game with 125Gb SSD requirement. I've got several TB's worth of SSD's in my gaming rig (because it doubles as a work station) so I'm not one having issues, but I bet this isn't the case for a lot of other people.
I've got a 1TB SSD just for games and applications and it's starting to look like I'll have to upgrade that soon. I can probably just about safely make room for Starfield, but the trend is getting irritating.

Audio is also becoming increasingly uncompressed, quickly bloating up disk-space and for what? For audiophiles? Make uncompressed audio-files also an option.
Doom 2016 is the one game I remember with much-vaunted uncompressed audio and it gave me no end of grief. My receiver needed my audio card in a specific configuration which the game hated and caused stuttering, I'd have to flip settings around every time I played. Unsurprisingly, I didn't play it for long.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Don't you guys forget that you can already preorder the DLC with your preorder.

image.png

Robber Baron

Savant
Looks ok
I had that Dark Urge(no pun intended) for a solid space fantasy adventure ever since Destiny was a massive disappointment
and it can't be worse than Cyberpunk(which I enjoyed)

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Some takeaways from the leak. First, the leaker.

The black guy who leaked this Starfield video is the perfect representation of the clown world we live in. I can't think of a better person to be the first to review and showcase Starfield gameplay in 2023.

- disgusting oily hands
- ghetto talk that needs subtitles to understand
- shitty room, where everything is just sort of dumped on the ground and looks like it would stink
- makes a white character after messing with the skin tone slider
- gives him grey hair and says it looks like his daddy
- chooses the gangster as his background without reading it
- names him tyrone
- kids crying so he just talks louder to compensate
- he moves on his couch and the sound of chip bags and other things being crunched dominate the room
- when playing the game says it looks 4d
- about 22 mins in notices you might have to read in this game
- is in the planet selection menu and mentions flat earth
- after he goes in his ship and chooses "takeoff" the camera switches and shows his ship leaving, he asks, "is this a ufo?"
- the only thing missing is a fire alarm chirping to let him know the battery is low

As for the game itself...

- You can select from two walking styles. One looks masculine the other feminine.
- The old asian lady, who is your boss, is super irritating. Demeaning and argumentative.
- She has a young white man with her to have as a punching bag.
- She marches through the cave barking orders like a drill seargent.
- I get a feeling the whites in the game are going to be low tier workers and other people in subservient roles
- Her accent is trash
- I can't imagine doing this opening more than once. Alternate start mod can't come soon enough.
- The washed out "nasa punk" colours are drab and dull both in the cave and outside
- The heavy gun animations both in use and putting away are lifted from Fallout 4
- Every NPC is the same height. No height slider for the player that I noticed. Everyone is around 5'9. The legs are short and the torso is long.
- The quickmenu is lifted from Fallout 4 in general design and function.
- NPC death animations are from Fallout 4
- The use of health regen functions the same as Fallout 4 and uses a very similar sound to that of the Stimpack
- The 2nd important NPC the player encounters is a black dude with yet another irritating way of speaking.
- Like the showcase, the characters in conversation with the player, have their eyebrows get stuck in a surprised look for extended persions of time.
- When you take off from your ship it switches to a camera view that shows your ship leaving, then you are put into outer space. No transistion.

Maybe the planet exploration will be good...

:negative:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Did I miss something or does the negro just give you his spaceship for no clear reason? Something like "Well you're an explorer now! Have my ship and I'll just stay on this planet."

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Some takeaways from the leak. First, the leaker.

The black guy who leaked this Starfield video is the perfect representation of the clown world we live in. I can't think of a better person to be the first to review and showcase Starfield gameplay in 2023.

- disgusting oily hands
- ghetto talk that needs subtitles to understand
- shitty room, where everything is just sort of dumped on the ground and looks like it would stink
- makes a white character after messing with the skin tone slider
- gives him grey hair and says it looks like his daddy
- chooses the gangster as his background without reading it
- names him tyrone
- kids crying so he just talks louder to compensate
- he moves on his couch and the sound of chip bags and other things being crunched dominate the room
- when playing the game says it looks 4d
- about 22 mins in notices you might have to read in this game
- is in the planet selection menu and mentions flat earth
- after he goes in his ship and chooses "takeoff" the camera switches and shows his ship leaving, he asks, "is this a ufo?"
- the only thing missing is a fire alarm chirping to let him know the battery is low

As for the game itself...

- You can select from two walking styles. One looks masculine the other feminine.
- The old asian lady, who is your boss, is super irritating. Demeaning and argumentative.
- She has a young white man with her to have as a punching bag.
- She marches through the cave barking orders like a drill seargent.
- I get a feeling the whites in the game are going to be low tier workers and other people in subservient roles
- Her accent is trash
- I can't imagine doing this opening more than once. Alternate start mod can't come soon enough.
- The washed out "nasa punk" colours are drab and dull both in the cave and outside
- The heavy gun animations both in use and putting away are lifted from Fallout 4
- Every NPC is the same height. No height slider for the player that I noticed. Everyone is around 5'9. The legs are short and the torso is long.
- The quickmenu is lifted from Fallout 4 in general design and function.
- NPC death animations are from Fallout 4
- The use of health regen functions the same as Fallout 4 and uses a very similar sound to that of the Stimpack
- The 2nd important NPC the player encounters is a black dude with yet another irritating way of speaking.
- Like the showcase, the characters in conversation with the player, have their eyebrows get stuck in a surprised look for extended persions of time.
- When you take off from your ship it switches to a camera view that shows your ship leaving, then you are put into outer space. No transistion.

Maybe the planet exploration will be good...

:negative:

This kind of posts instead of sanitized faggot-babble is why im still on this forum. Thank you.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Did I miss something or does the negro just give you his spaceship for no clear reason? Something like "Well you're an explorer now! Have my ship and I'll just stay on this planet."

It was one of many confusing times for the black guy who leaked this. When the black NPC handed you your pipboy, I mean your "watch", the leaker decided to wave his new Starfield branded Xbox box in front of his phone while he was talking to the NPC about the ship. The Xbox he purchased also came with a watch, like the one in the game. Also, one of the questions you can ask the NPC is "You're giving me your ship?", but he didnt ask him. When the black NPC tells the robot Vasco to fly you to "the lodge", he also tells the robot to not let the player "break his ship".

This whole sequence of events happens, because the player is in a cave mining while getting yelled at by some old asian woman, touches a magic rock. You are now part of some organization called Constellation because of it. I am calling it now, the secret to the universe, that this entire story is based around, will be that it is a "simulation".

jackofshadows

Magister
Watched the leak and the recent stream bit. Me = the case of "expected nothing and still dissapointed". Well, not exactly nothing but something Bethesda could do since they always so focused on the first x minutes of the game and this is the best they could possibly muster? .... People manually mine shit in the 23xx or something. Like I get it, that's the basis for the player to do the same (fascinating right). The retro-looking robot - just why. I assume they were inspired by Interstellar a lot with this "explorer coalition" so they simply ripped off the robot but here it looks silly all around (and ugly even). The NPCs are all dull and irritating. The whole thing look absolutely bland and shabby af (leak aside, check their own picture from the stream). Honestly it all looks pathetic. However thanks to the ahem figure that leaked the shit it was somewhat an amusing watch (the "early" release, you get it?). Then how he goes to grab some snacks... sheeeit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom