Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Cooking Station:
Starfield-9-2-2023-3-45-23-AM.png

There are different research options to learn new recipes from what I've seen like old earth cuisine, these seem to be the basic starting recipes.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Wanting to play 4K in current year is just retarded. You won't hit 60 even with high end hardware on most new releases. Issa scam.

at 1440p it barely does 50-60fps on fucking 3090.

For comparison at 1440p i can run Cyberpunk2077 with all bells and whistles + path tracing raytracing at ~40-50fps which looks lightyears ahead of it, has no loading screens, humans look like humans etc.

:prosper:

I know, dawg. I'm playing it with a 4080 @ 1440p and I'm bouncing between 60 and 80, which is fucking wild for such a small game with that kind of hardware.

Still, you usually get reasonable frame rates at 1440p in current year with current year game.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
don't know why people would expect anything else but fallout 4 in space. it was pretty obvious based on the presensation footage.

People screech this again and again ITT. The issue is not that people somehow expected something better than FO4 or Skyrim. It's that this is such a massive step back, that it makes FO4 look like a competent game. At least from the few hours that I experienced, but I don't imagine it gets better.

If you didn't see it as reskinned Fallout 4, then sorry i have news for you: you are stupid.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C
Either it's crosbreeding result, or a hairdresser.

Or because it's a game that is not about Earth, blacks in that game evolved this way...

Vic

Savant
Okay this is pretty cool. If Minecraft is the first-person, hands down version of Dwarf Fortress, then that's what Starfield is to 4X space games, building outposts on planets and extracting resources, in first person!

Vic

Savant
I'm surprised so far, game actually lives up to the hype. There are a lot of systems in the game that get slowly revealed and I'm hyped to keep playing and discover it all.

This is Bethesda at its best. (Butthurt Morrowind fanboys can go fuck themselves)

Lemming42

Arcane
Man this is dull. They just don't seem to understand what people liked in Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fo3.

What I'm amazed at is how empty these cities feel. 98% of NPCs are generic dickheads called "Citizen" who won't talk to me. Compare with, say, Whiterun in Skyrim or Megaton in Fo3. Whatever you think of the quality of writing in those games, there was always something to do. Every NPC in those towns is named and has unique dialogue, every building has a purpose, and most have either major sidequests or some minor thing to resolve (eg the water pipe thing in Megaton).

Meanwhile in Starfield you get to that Alpha Centauri place and it's all "Citizen"s walking around and empty buildings with fuck-all inside, separated by huge stretches of street with no named NPCs and nothing to do. There's no real feeling of a microcosm of a world full of interesting people and locations going on here, as there was in pre-Fo4 Bethesda games. When I do find a named NPC, there's a feeling of annoyance more than relief, because even though I'm finally actually getting to do something, it's been something inane as fuck 100% of the time so far.

All people want to do is walk around an interesting world full of memorable characters, go dungeon crawling, and build their character. That's it. Instead we get the most boring-ass world ever created for a videogame, populated by Citizen (who disappears upon walking into a fucking elevator). The dungeons have all sucked so far from what I've played, I'm trying to build a stealth character but I'm not sure I can be bothered, I might as well just shoot everyone.

I'm still enjoying it slightly more than Fo4 but that's only because Fo4 was genuinely one of the most boring things I've ever played.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's funny how Fallout seems less of a dystopia than Starfield. It just gives off depressive vibes. It's the opposite I think what they tried to go for.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Okay I looked at a lot of the textures. They range from .5 GB up 3-4 GB in size. That's why you're getting shitty performance. These diversity failures made terrible textures that each one isn't optimized at all. Plus the dimensions are really fucked up like 115x25000. There should be no excuse for how the games look based on the size of the texture.

I used the BA2 Browser that someone made for Failout 4.

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
We're way past publishers exploiting devs and players, they've been actively mocking them (players) for a while now. And it's getting worse and worse.
It's surreal.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
That are atlas texture which are used by objects with indexing offset taking only a certain part of whole texture and use it. It's the same principle as skyrim lods and what DYNDOLOD use. Nothing new really.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there at least ground vehicles in the game? It could make for a decent Star Trek simulator even with no transition from space to ground. Especially if they have events when traveling between systems that involve dealing with anomalies and shit.
No, you have to play the new Zelda for vehicles (of all games).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
People keep making Fallout 4 comparisons, but this is the closest thing they've made to Daggerfall since 1996. Most of the game is procgen, you fast travel everywhere and exploration is pointless. It's just that Daggerfall had much more involved character systems and it had proper dungeons.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
That are atlas texture which are used by objects with indexing offset taking only a certain part of whole texture and use it. It's the same principle as skyrim lods and what DYNDOLOD use. Nothing new really.

No, this is actual material textures for items like suits and weapons.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Okay I looked at a lot of the textures. They range from .5 GB up 3-4 GB in size. That's why you're getting shitty performance. These diversity failures made terrible textures that each one isn't optimized at all. Plus the dimensions are really fucked up like 115x25000. There should be no excuse for how the games look based on the size of the texture.

I used the BA2 explorer that someone made for Failout 4.
Please tell me this is a joke because I can't believe how someone can fuck up something so badly. Who the fuck needs textures like that for anything.
I laughed that the programmers at Blizzard are a bunch of retarded monkeys, but apparently not only them.

Vic

Savant
People keep making Fallout 4 comparisons, but this is the closest thing they've made to Daggerfall since 1996. Most of the game is procgen, you fast travel everywhere and exploration is pointless. It's just that Daggerfall had much more involved character systems and it had proper dungeons.
definitely got Daggerfall vibes running around the big vast planet. Not meaning in a bad way because it's filled with resources you can harvest for crafting.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I used the BA2 explorer that someone made for Failout 4.
Please tell me this is a joke because I can't believe how someone can fuck up something so badly. Who the fuck needs textures like that for anything.
I laughed that the programmers at Blizzard are a bunch of retarded monkeys, but apparently not only them.
It's not. I started to install Cottonfield after I installed the BA2 Browser program. I opened up Constellation.BA2, Textures_01.BA2, and Old_Mars.BA2. I hovered over each texture to get the pixel size. BA2 Browser tells you how big the textures are in the window that lists all the textures.

Robber Baron

Savant
Limiting space "exploration" to planet orbits is such a stupid decision, they needed to make star systems travelable and actually put those random encounters to some quality use

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom