Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robber Baron

Savant
definitely got Daggerfall vibes running around the big vast planet.

but you're not running around the planet you're running around a pocket dimension cell, just like Arena did it

El Presidente

Arcane
The second companion is a white blond chick (first is the robot), wonder if you can romance her
Starfield-9-2-2023-4-25-40-AM.png
If your character is a body type 2 then perhaps

Lemming42

Arcane
People keep making Fallout 4 comparisons, but this is the closest thing they've made to Daggerfall since 1996. Most of the game is procgen, you fast travel everywhere and exploration is pointless. It's just that Daggerfall had much more involved character systems and it had proper dungeons.
Daggerfall constantly put you in interesting scenarios with interesting people, though. There's the main quest which lets you meet memorable characters like Nulfaga, Morgiah, Gortwog and Mynisera, but the random procgen quests usually have interesting and engaging plots. As you explore the world and take random guild/tavern quests, a story starts to unfold, and you begin to get a picture of a rather frightening, eerie and dangerous world, full of seediness and deception.

The subsequent Bethesda games do this manually - take Skyrim. By the time you've reached Whiterun, you've met people from the Stormcloaks and the Empire, interacted with the minor squabbles of townspeople like the Sven/Bosmer guy/Camilla situation, and taken on an interesting quest or two, like healing the tree in Whiterun or rescuing the guy who's been taken by Thalmor.

Meanwhile I cannot name you any interesting characters in Starfield, a few hours in. I've met the Constellation people but they all suck. I think the character who has made an impact on me the most so far is Lin, who was in the tutorial for five seconds and probably isn't coming back. I've not been on any quests that rival the most basic "my daughter has been kidnapped by the Dark Brotherhood" type Daggerfall quests either.

In short: Daggerfall used procgen to create a vivid, fascinating world. Starfield seems to have used it to create vast empty spaces.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
so? the telvanni wizard in morrowind cloned himself to make 2 women that he was fucking
4 women

180px-MW-npc-Divayth_Fyr.jpg

• [Disposition ≥ 50.] "Well! What a pleasure! A visitor! An entertaining diversion! Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • [Disposition < 50.] "Not interesting. Sorry. Not your fault, perhaps, but you are not interesting, and I can't waste energy talking to boring people."
  • Offer the Dwemer artifact as a gift. [Dwemer Coherer has been removed from your inventory.] "A gift? For me? How thoughtful. And shrewd. I suppose you know I am a collector. And that such a gift is bound to please me. I congratulate you on your diplomatic skills. So, why have you tried to butter me up? Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • the divine disease: "The magical principles of corprus disease are elusive and miraculous, far more subtle and powerful than any conventional sorcery or enchantment. I'm persuaded that it is in some manner the curse or blessing of a god. Perhaps both a curse and a blessing. The victim, of course, cannot appreciate the marvelous nature of corprus. It saps the mind and destroys the body. But to a wizard, it is a profound and glorious mystery, a riddle worth a long lifetime of study."
  • corprus disease: "How interesting. Did you know that corprus makes you immune to disease? Have you ever heard of the prophecies of the Nerevarine? Ashlanders say the Nerevarine will be immune to disease. I've always thought, "Maybe I have the Nerevarine down in my Corprusarium, and I don't even know it." Hah. Hah. The Nerevarine is a fat, disgusting corprus monster, and mad as a marsh rat. Wouldn't that be funny?"
  • plunder the dungeon: "When you live for thousands of years, you need a hobby. Something you love, always sparks your interest. I collect treasures, and invite thieves to steal them. I'm a collector, and a sportsman. I collect enchanted items and ancient artifacts. Have quite a few Dwemer pieces. And, as a sportsman, I love letting thieves try to steal my well-guarded treasures. Only a few rules. One, don't hurt the inmates. Two, don't hurt my daughters. My Warden and guards can look out for themselves."
  • daughters: "Not bad for someone born in a jar, eh? Charming and talented. Not daughters, really. A little project, a side benefit of my researches into corprus disease. Made them myself, from my own flesh. Nice, aren't they? Alfe Fyr, Beyte Fyr, Delte Fyr, and Uupse Fyr. Quite a comfort to me in my old age. Hah hah."
  • Alfe Fyr: "Alfe Fyr is the sharpest of my girls, in wit and tongue. Gets on my nerves, sometimes, but conflict is the spice of life."
  • Beyte Fyr: "Beyte Fyr is the sweet one. Eager to please, and be pleased. An excellent cook, and a lovely singing voice."
  • Delte Fyr: "Delte Fyr is the efficient one. Organized and orderly. She acts as our steward, manages accounts, maintains supplies, keeps the tower and Corprusarium running."
  • Uupse Fyr: "Uupse Fyr is the girl with the biggest heart. She takes care of the inmates of the Corprusarium, and helps with my researches."

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
People keep making Fallout 4 comparisons, but this is the closest thing they've made to Daggerfall since 1996. Most of the game is procgen, you fast travel everywhere and exploration is pointless. It's just that Daggerfall had much more involved character systems and it had proper dungeons.

Plus you had like 15,000 towns and dungeons to explore in DF.

Gamezor

Learned
First impression: Skyrim in space with Fallout 4 survival mechanics. I am so far just exploring the first planet Kreet, found an abandoned research lab full with murderous robots and a crash site with some creepy ass alien (above) also space bread:

Starfield-9-1-2023-2-40-09-PM.png
One of the few white things in this fucking game.

Thus every single time we get subpar graphics, animations, perfomance, stability etc.
This game is stable so far. So is Fallout 4 and 76.

So... can anyone over here post their performance metrics? Remember to use resolution scaling if enabling FSR2 (I've read 67% is equivalent to "quality"). Post your rig configuration, too. People with Ryzen 7950X3D and RTX 4090 can fuck off.
I listed my experience previously but without listing my specs (I will blame Starfield fatigue). One computer won't count because it is to high-end and is expected to perform well. Here are the other two computer specs. If you need more details, let me know.

i5-12600k
3070 8gb
16gb ram
The above system get 60fps @1080p except in some areas of New Atlantis that are repeatable even on my 4090 system.

Ryzen 7 5800x
RX 6800xt 16gb
32gb ram

Same as the system above.

I have yet to hook either system up to 4k because it would be a hassle and they aren't the computers I use primarily. I would be willing to test though if someone is desperate enough for the info. I can give you more detailed rig info if needed. Hope that helps.

In a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is Morrowind(best Bugthesda's game), 0 is FL76(worst Bugthesda's game), how would you guys rate Starfield?
I would give it a 2 so far. I find all the black npcs insulting, most every position of power is a woman, and the few white characters are laughing stocks / incompetent. The graphics are subpar. The UI is their worst. The colour scheme is distracting. I could go on. The sound is the high point. A lot of really well done sound effects. Music can be really good or just background slop.

Please tell me these character models only look like this on low. If not, it's probably the ugliest game that came out this year.
The ones everyone are goofing on are "citizen" npc's. They are town filler. There is a setting in the game to decrease the number of them. They are all negroes and mutts and many of them are overweight. The main character NPC's are not of this quality nor is the player.

Is the nigger and feminist fatigue really that bad? I can't play games with high levels of nigger/feminist fatigue, unless there are extraordinary features that outweight the fatigue. Is there someone based playing this right now who can tell?
It is off the charts. Maybe the worst offender I have played yet. And that is saying something. Its really fucking bad. Total immersion breaker.
Sounds terrible. I know i wont buy it now but need to tear myself away from following the thread.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Limiting space "exploration" to planet orbits is such a stupid decision, they needed to make star systems travelable and actually put those random encounters to some quality use

Starfield was never going to be a space sim. I have an honest question for the people that feel this way, not trying to be snarky or sarcastic or anything. I am genuinely curious.

What was it that led you to believe that Starfield was going to be a full-blown, or at least half-blown, space sim, rather than the space parts just being an extra tacked onto normal Bethesda gameplay?

I thought that first video they released made it very clear it was about doing stuff on the ground, and that the action was going to be very similar to FO4.

Aside from it just being a space game, did Bethesda marketing ever state or strongly imply there was going to be a robust space sim element? I didn't pay that much attention to the marketing for the game past the initial video and a few bits here and there, so I may well have missed it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Aside from it just being a space game, did Bethesda marketing ever state or strongly imply there was going to be a robust space sim element?
They were tactically vague because they wanted people to make a lot of assumptions and didn't want to give away how pointless and shallow the space elements are.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Limiting space "exploration" to planet orbits is such a stupid decision, they needed to make star systems travelable and actually put those random encounters to some quality use

Starfield was never going to be a space sim. I have an honest question for the people that feel this way, not trying to be snarky or sarcastic or anything. I am genuinely curious.

What was it that led you to believe that Starfield was going to be a full-blown, or at least half-blown, space sim, rather than the space parts just being an extra tacked onto normal Bethesda gameplay?

I thought that first video they released made it very clear it was about doing stuff on the ground, and that the action was going to be very similar to FO4.

Aside from it just being a space game, did Bethesda marketing ever state or strongly imply there was going to be a robust space sim element? I didn't pay that much attention to the marketing for the game past the initial video and a few bits here and there, so I may well have missed it.

Robber Baron

Savant

There are no engine limitations for it not to have space travel inside star systems, it's just, again, lazy bad game design. Same with copypasted dungeons

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

There are no engine limitations for it not to have space travel inside star systems, it's just, again, lazy bad game design. Same with copypasted dungeons
mods

Vic

Savant
Just remember what modders did to Skyrim and Fallout 4, imagine what they can do to Starfield. ( I'm a purist so don't actually like mods, but if you're missing things in this game, well, there will probably be a mod for it)

Self-Ejected

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Elite: Dangerous' proc generated Milky Way was more impressive than this almost 10 years ago.

Vyvian

Educated
Just remember what modders did to Skyrim and Fallout 4, imagine what they can do to Starfield. ( I'm a purist so don't actually like mods, but if you're missing things in this game, well, there will probably be a mod for it)
After reading that about the textures I feel like I'll have to wait for the inevitable vanilla texture optimization mod.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Can anyone give a genuine impression of Starfield instead of the long posts of political correctness and lgbtq bulshit? How is it compared to previous Bethesda titles based on the merits like FVNV or Fallout1 for reactivity and world building? Any codex review for Starfield in the future?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

There is no fixing of baked in shitty mechancics. Look at requiem for skyrim how it tried, and it falls flat at overhauling economy, trading, making world liveable and responding to player actions, very little C&C mods there. Sorry but it's not happening and you know it. New worlds, quests or mechanics working within the framework already made by bethesda which is objectively poor and needs change is not a solution.

tastywaffles

Literate
genius at open world exploration.
I wouldn't call them genius at that. Unless outdoors without buildings to enter, its loading screen hell.

Now Nintendo is genius at open world exploration a la BOTW/TOTK, where everything can be explored without having to budget >=1/10 of your time with loading screens. And they did it on TI calculator-grade hardware, while Bethesda requires $3000 in hardware just for basic shit, and even then they don't come close. TOTK even has flying and land vehicles!

Can anyone really say that New Atlantis is fun to explore? Its like they took everything they did poorly in previous games and decided it wasn't nearly bad enough.

They really should have made at least one moon-sized planet to explore fully. Exploration so far is effectively not even a thing in this game. Fun exploration is the only part I care about, and so far it blows.

Uu1tdIB.jpg

Starfield in a nutshell:
1. It worse!
2. It sucks!
3. Pain never changes.
4. End of days!
5. Bouffant spacenigger sex slaver emulation, yay!

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
By the way, is there no local map for dungeons and cities? I'm getting lost exploring without a map

Vic

Savant
They really should have made at least one moon-sized planet to explore fully. Exploration so far is effectively not even a thing in this game. Fun exploration is the only part I care about, and so far it blows.
did you explore Kreet? That's the first planet (moon) you're on and there are a couple of locations and environmental story telling.

I'm actually going back there now after restocking to fully explore, got my ass kicked by the Terrormorph before :lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
so? the telvanni wizard in morrowind cloned himself to make 2 women that he was fucking
4 women

180px-MW-npc-Divayth_Fyr.jpg

• [Disposition ≥ 50.] "Well! What a pleasure! A visitor! An entertaining diversion! Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • [Disposition < 50.] "Not interesting. Sorry. Not your fault, perhaps, but you are not interesting, and I can't waste energy talking to boring people."
  • Offer the Dwemer artifact as a gift. [Dwemer Coherer has been removed from your inventory.] "A gift? For me? How thoughtful. And shrewd. I suppose you know I am a collector. And that such a gift is bound to please me. I congratulate you on your diplomatic skills. So, why have you tried to butter me up? Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • the divine disease: "The magical principles of corprus disease are elusive and miraculous, far more subtle and powerful than any conventional sorcery or enchantment. I'm persuaded that it is in some manner the curse or blessing of a god. Perhaps both a curse and a blessing. The victim, of course, cannot appreciate the marvelous nature of corprus. It saps the mind and destroys the body. But to a wizard, it is a profound and glorious mystery, a riddle worth a long lifetime of study."
  • corprus disease: "How interesting. Did you know that corprus makes you immune to disease? Have you ever heard of the prophecies of the Nerevarine? Ashlanders say the Nerevarine will be immune to disease. I've always thought, "Maybe I have the Nerevarine down in my Corprusarium, and I don't even know it." Hah. Hah. The Nerevarine is a fat, disgusting corprus monster, and mad as a marsh rat. Wouldn't that be funny?"
  • plunder the dungeon: "When you live for thousands of years, you need a hobby. Something you love, always sparks your interest. I collect treasures, and invite thieves to steal them. I'm a collector, and a sportsman. I collect enchanted items and ancient artifacts. Have quite a few Dwemer pieces. And, as a sportsman, I love letting thieves try to steal my well-guarded treasures. Only a few rules. One, don't hurt the inmates. Two, don't hurt my daughters. My Warden and guards can look out for themselves."
  • daughters: "Not bad for someone born in a jar, eh? Charming and talented. Not daughters, really. A little project, a side benefit of my researches into corprus disease. Made them myself, from my own flesh. Nice, aren't they? Alfe Fyr, Beyte Fyr, Delte Fyr, and Uupse Fyr. Quite a comfort to me in my old age. Hah hah."
  • Alfe Fyr: "Alfe Fyr is the sharpest of my girls, in wit and tongue. Gets on my nerves, sometimes, but conflict is the spice of life."
  • Beyte Fyr: "Beyte Fyr is the sweet one. Eager to please, and be pleased. An excellent cook, and a lovely singing voice."
  • Delte Fyr: "Delte Fyr is the efficient one. Organized and orderly. She acts as our steward, manages accounts, maintains supplies, keeps the tower and Corprusarium running."
  • Uupse Fyr: "Uupse Fyr is the girl with the biggest heart. She takes care of the inmates of the Corprusarium, and helps with my researches."
Nice game.

(BTW not cloned, he had to remove chromosome X from his DNA.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom