Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone know what the actual plot of the game is? Didn't get much while watching some gameplay.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know what the actual plot of the game is? Didn't get much while watching some gameplay.
You track down artifacts planted by Ancients and acquire space-Dragonborn powers. The goal is to catch 'em all and travel to an alternate universe, which begins the New Game+. Along the way you encounter other space-Dragonborns who came from other universes and are trying to collect the artifacts so they can continue doing it.

In other words, some talentless hack (Emil) jotted down an idea during an initial design meeting 10 years ago and they just ran with it. Nobody at Bethesda has a science fiction book.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
ah, fresh twist on the chosen one formula, now you're not simply THE chosen one but one amidst many from alternate universers, makes it much more believable

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You track down artifacts planted by Ancients and acquire space-Dragonborn powers. The goal is to catch 'em all and travel to an alternate universe, which begins the New Game+. Along the way you encounter other space-Dragonborns who came from other universes and are trying to collect the artifacts so they can continue doing it.

In other words, some talentless hack (Emil) jotted down an idea during an initial design meeting 10 years ago and they just ran with it. Nobody at Bethesda has a science fiction book.
Isn't that the same story of No Man's Sky?

Naraya

Arcane
What's with the eyes seriously? Translation is also top notch :lol:

06d9c1583b206efdede42775e28dafc91886b7ebca709583ef960473ae3b6e61.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

After watching the ending, I remain unconvinced that a human wrote this and it wasn't just fed through like a 2019 version of ChatGPT.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Isn't that the same story of No Man's Sky?
I think so.

Imagine the wide-eyed writer hired at Bethesda after Skyrim's success, being told they're working on a brand new sci-fi IP. His mind starts racing; he loves Heinlein, Burroughs, Asimov, Herbert. And then he's told "Yeah, we're just doing some chosen one shit where you hunt down artifacts. Yeah I know it's done to death, but nobody plays our games for the story. You're in charge of writing the cowboy town."

:0-13:

deuxhero

Arcane
Turns out the game has normal, open top, containers for liquid. In space. So much for the "NASA punk".

The original Gundam, a show so low budget it had to have voice recorded in mono and periods of extremely low quality animation every episode, actually did the idea better. Despite being a cartoon about a giant white robot that lives on an even more giant horse space ship and almost single handedly swings a war, it actually includes a lot of hard scifi elements in the background where they don't mater in the slightest. Characters in the background are seen drinking from a sealed container with a special straw (like real astronauts use), all the random ship corridors are designed with zero gravity navigation in mind, all the space colonies you see for a few establishing shots are based on real concepts, and artificial gravity isn't just an easy solution to make everything on the ship work like Earth (the sequel even make a deliberate point of showing that the artificial gravity is a convenience feature that's shut down during combat)

Vic

Savant
but nobody plays our games for the story
this

I actually don't want it to have a good story so I can focus on collecting trash to build my outposts and improve my gear to (hopefully) kill legendary terrormorphs or whatever the equivalent of deathclaws gonna be

Gargaune

Arcane
ah, fresh twist on the chosen one formula, now you're not simply THE chosen one but one amidst many from alternate universers, makes it much more believable
Please tell me whoever mentioned the "Starborn" earlier in this thread was joking...

Vic

Savant
dude women get less pay and jobs because they are prone to getting knocked up and fucking shit up for the company.

this idiot complains about some trans faggot asshole getting fired because he can't come to work because he needs to cut his balls off?

fuck them

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
genius at open world exploration.
I wouldn't call them genius at that. Unless outdoors without buildings to enter, its loading screen hell.

Now Nintendo is genius at open world exploration a la BOTW/TOTK, where everything can be explored without having to budget >=1/10 of your time with loading screens. And they did it on TI calculator-grade hardware, while Bethesda requires $3000 in hardware just for basic shit, and even then they don't come close. TOTK even has flying and land vehicles!

Can anyone really say that New Atlantis is fun to explore? Its like they took everything they did poorly in previous games and decided it wasn't nearly bad enough.

They really should have made at least one moon-sized planet to explore fully. Exploration so far is effectively not even a thing in this game. Fun exploration is the only part I care about, and so far it blows.

Uu1tdIB.jpg

Starfield in a nutshell:
1. It worse!
2. It sucks!
3. Pain never changes.
4. End of days!
5. Bouffant spacenigger sex slaver emulation, yay!
CycleOfAcceptance_Diagram.png

Vic

Savant
Meanwhile I cannot name you any interesting characters in Starfield, a few hours in. I've met the Constellation people but they all suck. I think the character who has made an impact on me the most so far is Lin, who was in the tutorial for five seconds and probably isn't coming back. I've not been on any quests that rival the most basic "my daughter has been kidnapped by the Dark Brotherhood" type Daggerfall quests either.
disagree. do you properly explore? There are multiple named NPCs throughout the city who you can talk to for some lore/info and get quests. Like this guy, who was randomly walking in the park outside of Constellation. For some reason there is always a creepy nigger in the background.

Starfield-9-2-2023-5-24-08-AM.png

or this chick who was sweeping the floors in the metro, notice creepy niggers in background.
Starfield-9-2-2023-5-39-12-AM.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom