Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gamezor

Learned
The facial animations are very good. Here, my character's deer-in-the-headlights look perfectly encapsulates the horror of realising that you've paid £85 for a videogame.

AKZ2Ark.png
are you playing as Dr. Phil?
is it this ugly in motion? like wtf is wrong with the lighting?

Lemming42

Arcane
disagree. do you properly explore? There are multiple named NPCs throughout the city who you can talk to for some lore/info and get quests.
There's a couple - I met the prissy guy in the coffee shop too, who I quite liked.

But compare with the likes of Skyrim or Fo3. Off the top of my head, in the very first towns you reach in each game (Riverwood and Megaton):
Riverwood immediately has you encounter Sven, who approaches you and gives you a quest that involves two other residents, Faendal and Camilla. By going to find Camilla, you're immediately put on to the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. Walking a little further down the street and you'll meet Gerdur, who is the quasi-mayor and has some interesting stuff to say. She'll tell you about the mill where you can meet Hod and also cut wood for money (not that there's any good reason to). You then walk over to the inn where you meet the drunkard (forgot his name) and head inside to meet Delphine, who's a major character. You're also led to Riverwood by Stormcloak guy or Hadvar, who will introduce you to several other NPCs. That's just Riverwood - Whiterun, the first big town, is massive in terms of content.

Megaton has you immediately approached by Simms, who can tell you a lot of lore, can help you in the main quest, and can give you the disarm-the-nuke quest. On the path down to the nuke, you'll encounter the leaking pipes, which puts you onto the miniquest to repair them all and visit the water treatment plant. The disarm-the-nuke quest has you encounter the atom cult, while following Simms' advice to go to the bar has you meet Gob, Moriarty, Lucy, and Burke, all of whom give you additional quests. You'll also wind up in the shop where you'll meet Moira, who gives you a major quest, and the clinic, where you can get a tip about the android quest.

In Riverwood and Megaton, you couldn't remove any NPC or building without losing something. Even minor characters, like Jenny at the food stall in Megaton, have little quests associated with them (she's got a crush on the ex-raider guy at the bar, I think, and her brother's on drugs, which you can stage an intervention for). In Jemison in Starfield, though, you could remove literally 95% of the NPCs and about 90% of the worldspace without losing any actual content, and the scant amount of content you'd be left with would be pretty weak compared to previous Beth games.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
disagree. do you properly explore? There are multiple named NPCs throughout the city who you can talk to for some lore/info and get quests.
There's a couple - I met the prissy guy in the coffee shop too, who I quite liked.

But compare with the likes of Skyrim or Fo3. Off the top of my head, in the very first towns you reach in each game (Riverwood and Megaton):
Riverwood immediately has you encounter Sven, who approaches you and gives you a quest that involves two other residents, Faendal and Camilla. By going to find Camilla, you're immediately put on to the Bleak Falls Barrow quest. Walking a little further down the street and you'll meet Gerdur, who is the quasi-mayor and has some interesting stuff to say. She'll tell you about the mill where you can meet Hod and also cut wood for money (not that there's any good reason to). You then walk over to the inn where you meet the drunkard (forgot his name) and head inside to meet Delphine, who's a major character. You're also led to Riverwood by Stormcloak guy or Hadvar, who will introduce you to several other NPCs. That's just Riverwood - Whiterun, the first big town, is massive in terms of content.

Megaton has you immediately approached by Simms, who can tell you a lot of lore, can help you in the main quest, and can give you the disarm-the-nuke quest. On the path down to the nuke, you'll encounter the leaking pipes, which puts you onto the miniquest to repair them all and visit the water treatment plant. The disarm-the-nuke quest has you encounter the atom cult, while following Simms' advice to go to the bar has you meet Gob, Moriarty, Lucy, and Burke, all of whom give you additional quests. You'll also wind up in the shop where you'll meet Moira, who gives you a major quest, and the clinic, where you can get a tip about the android quest.

In Riverwood and Megaton, you couldn't remove any NPC or building without losing something. Even minor characters, like Jenny at the food stall in Megaton, have little quests associated with them (she's got a crush on the ex-raider guy at the bar, I think, and her brother's on drugs, which you can stage an intervention for). In Jemison in Starfield, though, you could remove literally 95% of the NPCs and about 90% of the worldspace without losing any actual content, and the scant amount of content you'd be left with would be pretty weak compared to previous Beth games.
while this is true it remains to be seen how it will balance itself out throughout the game. It may just be that the scope of SF is so much bigger so the interesting NPCs are spread apart more. Remember these games were criticized for being a theme park.

Vic

Savant
damn, they continue with their unkillable NPC bullshit

Why.. wont... you.. die!

Starfield-9-2-2023-5-54-10-AM.png

Oh no, I am getting scolded by milf mommy, buut because I am helping her out on her quest, shooting random people in the metro is fine, I guess.

Starfield-9-2-2023-5-54-27-AM.png

Guess she forgot already that I just emptied 3 magazines into her.

Starfield-9-2-2023-5-54-42-AM.png

Aarwolf

Learned
So I played this for ~5 hours and there is not much to write home about. Game plays and feels like a bad Mass Effect sequel - imagine ME Andromeda exploration but without a vehicle or any aliens and with much shittier gunfight. You have to scan everything like crazy and collect tones of different shit by shooting at it with mining laser. You even have robot companion talking to you constantly with five or six "snarky" oneliners repeated at nauseam, like SAM did in MEA.

There is no real space travel, just some kind of minigame. If someone hoped for something akin 4X space games like X series or similiar, he's in for a very nasty surprise. Space feels tiny and is (for now) an afterthought. Planets are also tiny - you have two or three places to land, with two or three points of interest and some random caves you can find with your scanner. Again, it's like ME Andromeda - you land, you scan, you collect shiny things, rinse and repeat.

And there is a hub city, New Atlantis, which somehow managed to look worse on ultra than Mass Effect's Citadel, not to mention more modern games. People look and move very strange, mocap is stiff and face animations are bad. Places are crowded with nondescrpit NPC labeled "Citizen", who have nothing to say to you. There is nothing that stands apart in design of this place, no theme or interesting architecture, nothing. Everything looks generic and devoid of anything memorable.

This is Bethesda game, so I don't expect anything stellar but it's baffling that exploration and design is so bad this time. Mind it, I didn't play any of Bethesda's Fallouts, so maybe I don't have good reference points, I don't know.

I'll give the game more time, but I don't have much hope.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

And after you finish all their quest, you can explode them in a BIG BLAST. And then you would feel satisfied you got them for what Moira did to you...

That was very nice and satisfying ending of these quests.

Vic

Savant
Mind it, I didn't play any of Bethesda's Fallouts, so maybe I don't have good reference points, I don't know.
With bethesda games you have to look at the details. You have lore notes hidden around and random NPCs will reveal more info if you talk to them, all of the ones you can talk to are named. Guards will also reveal gossip or lore. There is an info board that gives some info about the history of New Atlantis for example. Basically, you have to take your time and explore. There are lots of quests in New Atlantis you can pick up.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C
There is a massive shitload of harvesting and gathering to be done in Starfield. Negroes could come in handy.
Historically they used white for that. (If there were actual blacks in some countries, they typically were friends with a bottle of alcohol...)

(But considering this is SF, shouldn't they have a small bots to harvest and gather?)

Aarwolf

Learned
Mind it, I didn't play any of Bethesda's Fallouts, so maybe I don't have good reference points, I don't know.
With bethesda games you have to look at the details. You have lore notes hidden around and random NPCs will reveal more info if you talk to them, all of the ones you can talk to are named. Guards will also reveal gossip or lore. There is an info board that gives some info about the history of New Atlantis for example. Basically, you have to take your time and explore. There are lots of quests in New Atlantis you can pick up.

I know it, I played Elder Scrolls games. I know what they are and how their gameplay loop works - all I'm saying is that this time it simply doesn't work. There is no mystery, no joy of exploring, nothing. It's bland. Even in Skyrim, I still had this urge to look for something new around the corner - but not here. It's like Andromeda - all the pieces are (mostly) here, but the spirit is gone.

El Presidente

Arcane
This is the worst single player RPG since Arcania, change my mind.

I have never seen a more sterilized, pozzed and ultimately boring version of the future in any form of media, ever.

Vic

Savant
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C
There is a massive shitload of harvesting and gathering to be done in Starfield. Negroes could come in handy.
Historically they used white for that. (If there were actual blacks in some countries, they typically were friends with a bottle of alcohol...)

(But considering this is SF, shouldn't they have a small bots to harvest and gather?)
To their defense, most of the named NPCs have been white so far in NA and the only black NPC asked me to smuggle some contraband for him as a quest.

Vic

Savant
Even in Skyrim, I still had this urge to look for something new around the corner
Exploring cities in Skyrim wasn't that exciting either tbh, I say let's wait until we get out of NA and start exploring the game for real.

Vic

Savant
there are collectibles akin to fallout's magazines that you can find in random places that give permanent stat boosts. also recipes, but man, what's with the lighting.

Starfield-9-2-2023-6-41-08-AM.png

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Frankly, are we sure these characters are not some kind of internal joke, or a payback to people who wronged Bethesda team in the past?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom