Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
3090 on highest settings at 4k with fsr2 lololol. barely 30fps. FSR2 barely does anything to framerate.

image.png

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't have the game, but if someone who does wants to try it for themselves you may be able to disable those invisible walls with a simple .ini change. Look for something like bBorderRegionsEnabled=1 and change it to 0. Should work unless they changed it.

That doesn't actually load in/procedurally generate adjacent cells or anything though, right? So it doesn't let you walk around the globe. It would just lets you walk off into the edges they designed to just be scenery for the walkable cell. Where presumably there is nothing to interact with and the level of detail quickly drops off until you see the edges of the world.

Vyvian

Educated
3090 on highest settings at 4k with fsr2 lololol. barely 30fps. FSR2 barely does anything to framerate.

image.png
I'm not real technically adept and call me crazy but WHERE are these power demands coming from?
My current modded Fallout 4 looks better than this.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

image.png
I'm not real technically adept and call me crazy but WHERE are these power demands coming from?

Standard diversity hire developers that can't optimize shit to save their lives. I swear it looks worse than the games we got in the late 2000s and it didn't require the hardware we have now.

Gargaune

Arcane
Truly GOATed mod-platform.
Out of the three aesthetic Bethesda modding playgrounds: Skyrim fantasy, Fallout 4 wasteland and Starfield sci-fi, the last seems the least pleasing for the usual type of autism.
Chainmail, trees, and tents just seems to work better than Apple clean laboratories and computers.
That might be a bit reductive, though, anyone got to Neon or Akila? The promo materials seemed to suggest those were decidedly less Space Bauhaus and more cyberpunk and Space Cowboys, respectively. Both practically and narratively, it shouldn't take a lot of effort for modders to fit their own off-brand stuff in there.

And, theoretically, the myriad planets and isolated locations could provide fertile ground for modders to go nuts without worrying about "room" or previs conflicts. The two questions are, a) will Starfield manage to pull enough modders off Skyrim and Fallout, and b) will Todd release the CK in a more reasonable timeframe than last time?

P.S. I should clarify that I'm not disagreeing with the core premise, this would be more about modders undertaking larger projects to build something in a location. Otherwise, yes, your average chainmail bikini author won't just turn around and start making space suit bikinis.

None

Arbiter
I don't have the game, but if someone who does wants to try it for themselves you may be able to disable those invisible walls with a simple .ini change. Look for something like bBorderRegionsEnabled=1 and change it to 0. Should work unless they changed it.

That doesn't actually load in/procedurally generate adjacent cells or anything though, right? So it doesn't let you walk around the globe. It would just lets you walk off into the edges they designed to just be scenery for the walkable cell. Where presumably there is nothing to interact with and the level of detail quickly drops off until you see the edges of the world.
Yeah, same as in the other games. Each planet/region is most likely implemented as its own separate worldspace, like how New Vegas was separate from the Mojave Wasteland in NV. Mostly just mentioned it for the curious.

It may generate some additional cells as you walk further out of bounds, pretty sure other Bethesda titles did the same.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Wanting to play 4K in current year is just retarded. You won't hit 60 even with high end hardware on most new releases. Issa scam.

Moink

Cipher
Watching some streams (I'm still waiting for my key from AMD) and it seems like there's very little illusion to mask the fact that it's basically a collection of mini-games.

None

Arbiter

image.png
SIXTEEN TIMES THE DETAIL
With sixteen times less optimization!

The only reason I'd buy this game right now is to open the editor to see what Bethesda did and didn't do. Something like an autopsy.

Gargaune

Arcane
I think probably the biggest Lie Todd told here was that space travel was open world and seamless, its not, its basically like Wing Commander where you press a button and a cutscene plays.
All of the corner cutting they've done on this game is some of the worst they've ever done.
All bullshit aside, I think Todd's dropped the ball on the space stuff, the scope of this "cosmic exploration" has been rolled back again and again and into oblivion. I mean, we all knew there was some, uh, poetic license when he first pitched us, as always, but this time it's like the compromises have whittled the promise down to nothing:

"We're making a massive galaxy for you to explore, a thousand planets, procgen, spaceflight, it's our biggest game ever!"
"Cool, so I can fly through the clouds and touch down wherever I want!"
"Well, uh, not really, you can only fly to orbit, the landing's a loading screen."
"Oh, well that's a bit of a letdown. But still, I can just land wherever I want and explore the whole planet?"
"Sure!... But only one parcel at a time. And when you go to a different parcel, the old one despawns, they're all RNG instances."
"Huh. Well, I guess it's hard to save all that data, you know since they're all teeming with life and stuff..."
"Only 10% of them. So 100 planets have life, the other 900 are barren rocks... But you can still mine them for resources!"
"Right... So it's like a survival/economy loop, I might touch down and get some stuff while I'm flying across a star system..."
"No, you can only fly in a planet's orbit, the rest if fast travel."
"Motherfucker!"

So what we've got here is more of a fragmented Skyrim with some space-themed fast travel and optional random dungeons. Which I'd be okay with, but if you tell me you're making a "space game" - and marketing sure as fuck did - I kinda expect it to be a space game, not vaguely "inspired by space." Bethesda really glued a "kick me!" sign on their own backs with this one.

TLDR: This time, the lies ain't so little and they ain't so sweet.

Gerrard

Arcane
Wanting to play 4K in current year is just retarded. You won't hit 60 even with high end hardware on most new releases. Issa scam.
Getting scammed by the newest shiny tech thing is Perkel's favorite pastime.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
With sixteen times less optimization!

The only reason I'd buy this game right now is to open the editor to see what Bethesda did and didn't do. Something like an autopsy.
Why pay for the corpse if u can loot it from the cemetery for free. Can send u files if u want.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
by the way I’m playing with 40+ fps on my GTX1070. Just make sure to turn off dynamic resolution and set render resolution scale to 100% or game will be blurry as fuck

Steezus

Savant
Patron
"this is a mix of CP2077 and The Outer Worlds, and not as good as either".
Too much words used for "game's shite".
Game is much better than Outer Worlds and it’s not like CP at all. Fallout 4 with space travel (and space combat) is the closest I can describe it right now after 5 hours played.

Yeah, it's like Fallout 4 if you imagine there is no open world and you just travel from disconnected room to disconnected room. And space combat is a tower defense game in another disconnected room.

Sòren

Arcane
don't know why people would expect anything else but fallout 4 in space. it was pretty obvious based on the presensation footage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom