Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

A non trivial amount of gene editing... wouldn't it be chromosome editing? There are identical twins with different genders. Same DNA, different chromosomes.
Chromosome is just the name of the structure, gene is good enough for informal conversation. But more importantly, the term "chromosome editing" would attract a lot of flies in the current year so not worth it.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C

We went from Stanley Kubrick, and Gene Roddenberry's amazing vision of space exploration to Todd Howard's Noggertopia.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
Truly GOATed mod-platform.
Out of the three aesthetic Bethesda modding playgrounds: Skyrim fantasy, Fallout 4 wasteland and Starfield sci-fi, the last seems the least pleasing for the usual type of autism.
Chainmail, trees, and tents just seems to work better than Apple clean laboratories and computers.
Fantasy will always attract more attention, but since magic tech already exists in Starfield mods will push this into Soy Wars style space wizardry and beyond. There will undoubtedly be mods to bioengineer your own alien pets, create your own planets/worlds, and the MQ already lets you become a canonical space/time wizard. Modding is only limited by what's realistic within the power-fantasy and Starfield is an even bigger power-fantasy than Skyrim was.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
MQ already lets you become a canonical space/time wizard
Yeah, I saw the dragonborn shouts you learn from the word walls. Bizarre.
The settlement building might produce something though, if scripts don't break, so you can build different colonies on different planets. Be a frontiersman.

Fargus

Arcane
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C

We went from Stanley Kubrick, and Gene Roddenberry's amazing vision of space exploration to Todd Howard's Noggertopia.

I think ME Adromeda did it first with space mutts and nogs though.

None

Arbiter
Out of the three aesthetic Bethesda modding playgrounds: Skyrim fantasy, Fallout 4 wasteland and Starfield sci-fi, the last seems the least pleasing for the usual type of autism.
Chainmail, trees, and tents just seems to work better than Apple clean laboratories and computers.
Just give it time, someone will try to port Skyrim or Fallout 3/4 into Starfield.

Fargus

Arcane
Just give it time, someone will try to port Skyrim or Fallout 3/4 into Starfield.

Starout: New Vegas, Starwind, Starblivion.... So much potential.

Funny how this game doesnt even look that much better than F4. And someone here told that gunplay is worse than F4.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, in 20 years. Has any of these projects actually delivered a finished conversion?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
200k paid premium to play 5 days early ? jeeez
Way more than 200k that's just the peak of people playing it at the same time at one moment.
sfVD1yd.png
:martini:
With 18,620 leeches compared to only 1,200 seeds, it's highly likely that many won't be playing it on day one. When examining the comments and considering the kind of hardware these guys have, knowing that performance on top-tier PCs is catastrophic, on their potato systems it could be practically unplayable.

Sure,i will make sure to inform them....
EUpX6Pi.png

None

Arbiter
Yeah, in 20 years. Has any of these projects actually delivered a finished conversion?
No, but that has never stopped autism, which is rampant amongst modders, to the point of being a requirement.

None

Arbiter
I do see Starfield being a boon to Fallout 4/Skyrim's modding communities. The general zeitgeist will improve as all the types who consume/create lovers lab, menstrual cycle mods, and other insane creations will ultimately move on to the newest and shiny game. Not that I'm partial to either FO4 or Skyrim, but my experience with Morrowind tells me the older the game, the more monocled the modding community.

Fargus

Arcane
I do see Starfield being a boon to Fallout 4/Skyrim's modding communities. The general zeitgeist will improve as all the types who consume/create lovers lab, menstrual cycle mods, and other insane creations will ultimately move on to the newest and shiny game. Not that I'm partial to either FO4 or Skyrim, but my experience with Morrowind tells me the older the game, the more monocled the modding community.

Morrowind never had much of those. Some cringe mods, some adult mods and lots of goth\anime garbage early on.

None

Arbiter

Morrowind never had much of those. Some cringe mods, some adult mods and lots of goth\anime garbage early on.
No, not much, but I'd wager that had to do more with the size and capabilities of modding back then instead of a lack of degenerates.

Point being, the only people left modding the game were people who enjoyed the game and weren't there for...other reasons.

Lemming42

Arcane
About two hours in (beyond the realm of refunds) and I have a lot of opinions.

They mostly can be boiled down to "this is a mix of CP2077 and The Outer Worlds, and not as good as either". I think it might be a bit better than Fo4. Pretty much as expected, honestly.

I'll write more later.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So, what are the exploration maps like? What are the different varieties and what does each variety contain?

I've heard that some maps are predesigned, are they the size and design of something like Point Lookout? Whereas when you land randomly on a planet it is generated, are those more like Mass Effect 1's maps in terms of "level of detail" ?

I answered this, somewhat, previously.

It's a strange system. A planet will have points of interest that are marked on the map you can point your ship towards (fast travel) to. Once there, you can open your local map (also your compass) to see all the points of interest within that area. There are unmarked locations as well. As for the other methods of exploring, you can land your ship anywhere on a planet, not just the pre-marked areas. When you land at a random, unmarked location on a planet you will be given your own version of that planets procedurally genereated landscape with procedural points of interest.

As for the size, they are fairly large. You can run a good distance before hitting any invisible walls where a message box pops up. You can't compare these worlds to Skyrim or Fallout 3/4 at all though. The level of detail just isnt there. This is its own thing. It's very gamey without much thought about the finer details of each world. The various points of interest are detailed but you start to recognize similar structures with slightly different layouts fairly quickly.

None

Arbiter
I don't have the game, but if someone who does wants to try it for themselves you may be able to disable those invisible walls with a simple .ini change. Look for something like bBorderRegionsEnabled=1 and change it to 0. Should work unless they changed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom