Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Old Hans

Arcane
rV0r0kN.png

If anybody had any expectation out of Starfield thinking maybe this time someone competent wrote it! Well.. here is your answer.
It's still the same fckn garbage.
this guy is an absolute cancer that will not go away. im shocked Starfield isnt about locating another missing family member that players dont give a shit about. or is it?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Plus plenty of other people, some in this thread, have commented that performance seems to be pretty reasonable.
Look, I'm someone who's also able to enjoy games even at 720 low 30 fps. I sometimes play using intel's UHD 630. Reasonable to me is if I buy a current $350-400 GPU, I should at least be able to play a game @ 1080p 60FPS average high, not even ultra which is usually retarded, just high. Hell for that kind of money I should be using it at 1440p. The $350 6700 XT can't do that, and Starfield runs better on AMD.

The $600 RTX 4070, in Cyberpunk 2077, an already demanding game, does 100 FPS @ native 1080p Ultra. It can't even do 60 FPS in Starfield at the same settings. It'll likely improve with updates, sure. And the 4070 is overpriced, but still, that's not something anyone should be calling "reasonable".

I don't know what any of those cards are, but I am happy if I can get 40 fps at 1080 (which is the resolution of my screen) on medium for a game. And having to run it on low would still acceptable. This idea that you should be able to run it on high sounds like gamer entitlement to me. Especially for a Bethesda game. Bethesda games aren't top of the tier in terms of graphics or performance. To my knowledge, there has never been a Bethesda game released where people didn't criticize the graphics performance on release. And despite those criticisms, I have always been able to run them just fine when I buy them. And they didn't look terrible. Not amazing, but not terrible.

I genuinely don't know where this expectation is coming from. Bethesda doesn't use an engine that is state-of-the-art in terms of graphics, even if Bethesda sometimes tries to claim it is. That is not one of the strengths of the engine or why Bethesda uses it (they use it for the streamlined production pipelines they are already very familiar with that play well with mods).

But again, I am just not a graphics or a hardware person, so I probably just don't understand your viewpoint or those that have similar ones.

Edit: I am probably going to buy and play it this weekend, and if I find the performance and graphics to be bad I will come back hat in hand and eat crow. We'll have to see.

Old Hans

Arcane
This idea that you should be able to run it on high sounds like gamer entitlement
its classic zoomer entitlement. I've seen this before on the world wide web. these kids dont understand that ever since Oblivion, it is mandatory to go fiddle around the .ini files and change random numbers to make the game run better

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Not sure how much longer I am going to be playing this slop but for those who hate / get sick from the current FOV. (There is no slider in options)

In your "Documents/MyGames/Starfield" create a Text file called StarfieldCustom.ini or download the provided one and place in same folder

fFPWorldFOV is for first person
fTPWorldFOV is for third person

here is 100 for both :

[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=100.0000
fTPWorldFOV=100.0000

Link to "mod". This wont disable achievements.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/99

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Got to say, the main thing that's putting me off is the utter blandness and generic-ness of the art design.

It's funny the way one of the reviewers compares it unfavourably to CP2077. It's like an echo of how people looked back more fondly on the Star Wars prequels after the sequels had come out :D

But it's true that it's got to be more fun wandering around shooting stuff in the whacky world of CP2077 than in these dull, communist-looking warehouses and empty utopias. Did nobody raise this issue when playtesting for Bethesda, or were they just so happy to have the gig that they wouldn't say boo to a mouse?

Or maybe Bethesda knew it was going to be this dull-looking but it was too late and they just soldiered on regardless?

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Holy fuck, first impressions are so unbelievably shit.

Not only is performance a joke. I'm getting only 60-80 with a 4080 at 1440p. I don't even want to imagine what people with last gen hardware are experiencing, but besides that, the game is just such a regression in every aspect.

Loading screens with no end in sight. Space travel is basically an isolated minigame. I don't think you can take off from a planet, go into space and travel to another planet. It's like clicking doors in Skyrim with extra shit steps. Funny how a space game feels so restrictive and boxed in.

Then Bethesdas refusal to just do anything. You'd figure with SkyUI being like the most popular mod ever, they would finally improve their inventory menus. Nah, it's even more cumbersome. PC players have been abandoned completely for shitty controler UIs.

THE FUCKING INSPECT BUTTON DOES NOTHING EXCEPT FOR REMOVING THE UI ELEMENTS.

IT'S A FUCKING DEAD BUTTON WITH NO FUNCTION.

The game is just a loading screen fest. Fly to system (loading screen) land (loading screen) disembark ship (loading screen) enter building. (loading screen) You spend more time in the menus than you do playing the damn game. There's no sense of scope of wonder from exploration because it's just selecting things from a menu. (with the worst UI design of any Bethesda game)
Time in menus is always the real game. Like in Tarkov where you play the little timed mini games to get more loot for the real game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The fuck did you people expect.

I got what i expected. Already having a good time laughing at the game.

Everybody knows the routine. When a Bethesda game launches, you point fingers and laugh.

Then in maybe two years or so, once the modders have had their way with the game, you buy it at 90% off and play Bethesda Mod Management Simulator 2025.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The fuck did you people expect.

I got what i expected. Already having a good time laughing at the game.

Everybody knows the routine. When a Bethesda game launches, you point fingers and laugh.

Then in maybe two years or so, once the modders have had their way with the game, you buy it at 90% off and play Bethesda Mod Management Simulator 2025.

I don't see a big modding community for this game.. See ya in 8 years when Elder Scrolls 6 drops.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This game looks absolutely miserable
It's depressing just looking at it
And every NPC is black or mixed so normal people can't even escape into a nice fantasy world
Is this a demoralization psyop?
Yeah, this is what I was saying earlier in another thread:

Big studios get all their money from an initial sale. They mainly care about the first 10 hours or so, since that's all people finish, and they heavily rely on big money and on the media machine for ads, reviews and buzz in general.

But then you have Japanese and Korean gacha games, which although complete rip-offs are funded by user purchases. Users need to like the game content and want additional content enough to pull out their wallets. Regularly.

Go to any gacha game and count the number of black women vs the number of white women. Real Princess and the Frog reality check. FGO, for example, has I think one actually black woman out of 375 characters.

The problem is, the whole world has gotten used to blacks being forced into every media. So, for an initial sale, where all you're seeing is a commercial and only start thinking about this stuff hours later, it's not a problem.

But if you really had to choose with your wallet the kind of characters you want in the game, you'd probably pick European, Asian or any other race first.
Yeah, the chinese gacha game I'm playing has only 1 black character. Didn't even know about them, had to check when I read your post.
in another eden there are ~5 dark-skinned characters total. and 3 of them are dark elves. and none of them is even that dark-skinned. probably blackest nigga in the game -
101070051_rank5_base.png
If that's the blackest nigga then... the others are albinos!
This is the only darkie in my gacha:
char_293_thorns_1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom