Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vyvian

Educated
Good textures take a lot of effort. Effort that is obviously lacking here.
Bethesda games textures have always been awful. Is it because of the limitation of the engine ? Their internal tools ? They always look like they've been saved in jpg.
They are bloated to hell. It's why you always see Optimized Vanilla Texture pack mods for their games.
Modders fix them so they require far less resources and either look the same or better. There's probably finer details that I don't know about but that's the jist of it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
gzaiaNa.jpg
Please let this be the new arrow in the knee. Let it be something that's actually fucking funny.
Coincidentally that's how some black are looking at poor white in originally white countries...
So, I guess that can be excused by a realism.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I don't mind graphics that are bad in the sense they're outdated or non optimal but from what I've seen so far some of the civilised areas seem like it's the design that's at fault rather than the realization (when you're out exploring things look a lot nicer though). It feels like a failure in art direction more than technology.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Those black levels are fucked.
Ironically enough, space in Starfield isn't black.
It's grey-brown-ish.
Are you sure you set your gamma correctly?
If yea... Well then the space is an author view on multiculturality. If you want real blacks, you need to go into a room without windows, and turn lights off. If you want real white, you need to look at whiteboard. Space is multicultural, thus it can't be black, nor white.

Technically there is always some red star in the black ocean. But west has a phobia thus they smoothed stars into a brownish black.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Actively losing IQ from reading the steam forums.

Although it's great when a Bethseda fan accuses BG3 of being boring, woke, bad graphics, ugly models and lame writing.

1693584673116.png

flushfire

Augur
Plus plenty of other people, some in this thread, have commented that performance seems to be pretty reasonable.
Look, I'm someone who's also able to enjoy games even at 720 low 30 fps. I sometimes play using intel's UHD 630. Reasonable to me is if I buy a current $350-400 GPU, I should at least be able to play a game @ 1080p 60FPS average high, not even ultra which is usually retarded, just high. Hell for that kind of money I should be using it at 1440p. The $350 6700 XT can't do that, and Starfield runs better on AMD.

The $600 RTX 4070, in Cyberpunk 2077, an already demanding game, does 100 FPS @ native 1080p Ultra. It can't even do 60 FPS in Starfield at the same settings. It'll likely improve with updates, sure. And the 4070 is overpriced, but still, that's not something anyone should be calling "reasonable".

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, so you don't need to use the map to travel around. You can use the scanner and point at any planet or object to then travel towards it by hitting 'E'. Same goes for landing.

Why the fuck do they make you use the map and only the map during the tutorial?

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
First impression: Skyrim in space with Fallout 4 survival mechanics. I am so far just exploring the first planet Kreet, found an abandoned research lab full with murderous robots and a crash site with some creepy ass alien (above) also space bread:

Starfield-9-1-2023-2-40-09-PM.png
One of the few white things in this fucking game.

Thus every single time we get subpar graphics, animations, perfomance, stability etc.
This game is stable so far. So is Fallout 4 and 76.

So... can anyone over here post their performance metrics? Remember to use resolution scaling if enabling FSR2 (I've read 67% is equivalent to "quality"). Post your rig configuration, too. People with Ryzen 7950X3D and RTX 4090 can fuck off.
I listed my experience previously but without listing my specs (I will blame Starfield fatigue). One computer won't count because it is to high-end and is expected to perform well. Here are the other two computer specs. If you need more details, let me know.

i5-12600k
3070 8gb
16gb ram
The above system get 60fps @1080p except in some areas of New Atlantis that are repeatable even on my 4090 system.

Ryzen 7 5800x
RX 6800xt 16gb
32gb ram

Same as the system above.

I have yet to hook either system up to 4k because it would be a hassle and they aren't the computers I use primarily. I would be willing to test though if someone is desperate enough for the info. I can give you more detailed rig info if needed. Hope that helps.

In a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is Morrowind(best Bugthesda's game), 0 is FL76(worst Bugthesda's game), how would you guys rate Starfield?
I would give it a 2 so far. I find all the black npcs insulting, most every position of power is a woman, and the few white characters are laughing stocks / incompetent. The graphics are subpar. The UI is their worst. The colour scheme is distracting. I could go on. The sound is the high point. A lot of really well done sound effects. Music can be really good or just background slop.

Please tell me these character models only look like this on low. If not, it's probably the ugliest game that came out this year.
The ones everyone are goofing on are "citizen" npc's. They are town filler. There is a setting in the game to decrease the number of them. They are all negroes and mutts and many of them are overweight. The main character NPC's are not of this quality nor is the player.

Is the nigger and feminist fatigue really that bad? I can't play games with high levels of nigger/feminist fatigue, unless there are extraordinary features that outweight the fatigue. Is there someone based playing this right now who can tell?
It is off the charts. Maybe the worst offender I have played yet. And that is saying something. Its really fucking bad. Total immersion breaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom