Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ind33d

Learned
did they purposely not put any xenos in so it won't conflict with future star wars/star trek/firefly mods? it's possible the mod tools are so sick that nobody at beth expects people to play vanilla. has anyone tried the creation kit?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

The game has the exact same visual quality as Fallout 4 yet somehow demands a gpu that is basically 3 generations ahead in terms of performance. The one thing I had hoped for with Bethesda sticking with creation engine was that it would at least maintain a level of performance proportional to its visuals but obviously yet again I hoped for more than is possible.

It's because modern developers are retards and are giving us the same quality visually what we had in 2003 on better hardware. Imagine having to rely upon upscaling to get any reasonable performance while at the same time tanking how the game looks.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
JFC, why do all modern AAA games look like washed out, plastic shit?
Cheap texture feel is due to:
1. Its cheap
2. Its fast and therefore cheap
3. Its unimaginative therefore its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
5. Is suspect something in women psychology makem them so they can't for their life create gritty, worn and realistic surface materials like in the stalker games.
Or here me out on this. Most of their "Talent" only knows how to slap unmodified substance painter shaders onto meshes and they have no idea how to do actual texture work like add damaged detailing and make everything look worn and lived in. But nah its probably what you said /s.
Good textures take a lot of effort. Effort that is obviously lacking here.
Effort is cost, and its not cheap.

tritosine2k

Erudite
1. Its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
5. Is suspect something in women psychology makem them so they can't for their life create gritty, worn and realistic surface materials like in the stalker games.
Or here me out on this. Most of their "Talent" only knows how to slap unmodified substance painter shaders onto meshes and they have no idea how to do actual texture work like add damaged detailing and make everything look worn and lived in. But nah its probably what you said /s.
it's because deferred is the correct answer, because the BIG THONK goes like not only they can get away without precompute they fucking ace it because deferred offers complexity and insane # of lights,but then in real world SSAO is too unstable and unsafe so it's tuned very shallow vs. ground truth, realtime shadows are hardly ever pixel perfect, cascade shadows are mostly broke & it adds up.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
1. Its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
it's because deferred is the correct answer, because the BIG THONK goes like not only they can get away without precompute they fucking ace it because deferred,but then in real world SSAO is too unstable and unsafe IRL so it's very shallow vs. ground truth, realtime shadows are hardly pixel perfect, cascade shadows are mostly broke & it adds up.

Thats just a matter of adapting texture pipeline to specifics of a given game engine. Bake details, up the metalicity/roughness, add levels/color filters. Anyway, it shows the engine is trash if its shaders can't reproduce good whitepoint/blacks, hdr, colors[ACES library is literally free]. This is basis, if the basis is bad you can still correct it with texture pipeline, but the game will still look off, shadows, highlights, lighting etc.

This game basically looks like it needs ENB with good LUT and levels shader. So like every other niggthesda game.

Perkel

Arcane
Listening to sceptical review. Apparently this is another Oblivion with how heavily they reuse whole locations.
Dude played 20 hours and in that time 5 locations were coppied 7, 5, 5, 4 and 3 times.

20 hours lol

Last edited:

Seethe

Arbiter
If Starfield can't beat those numbers on a Memorial Day/Labor Day/Whatever Day weekend, then it really is over.
You do realize the game isn't technically out yet right? These are just the tards that bought some extra special edition for 30 dollars more so they could play it 5 days early among other things.
You do realize that these people comprise the majority of the playerbase, right? The kind of people who worship the ground Todd walks on and play Bugthesda games, are the ones who get tricked and pay 30 extra dollars just to play the game a few days earlier. The kind of people who make a thread on Reddit about how their girlfriends stacked some cringely labeled literal junk food on their desk in preparation for their junk food game. More importantly the gap between early access and and proper launch is too big. On PC people might end up pirating the game and refunding it once they realize it's mediocre slop with constant triple loading screens. And it is.

For me, it's not even worth pirating. It's not a space game, it's space themed Fallout 4. And Fallout 4 is shit.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
it's because deferred is the correct answer, because the BIG THONK goes like not only they can get away without precompute they fucking ace it because deferred offers complexity and insane # of lights,but then in real world SSAO is too unstable and unsafe so it's very shallow vs. ground truth, realtime shadows are hardly ever pixel perfect, cascade shadows are mostly broke & it adds up.
From my experience with deffered rendering vs forward it didn't change the look that much on the art side, it does fade the lighting making the transitions less harsh so your pure darks don't look pitch black but you can just adjust that with gamma. SSAO looks like crap no matter what you do, this is why baked AO is a more preferred industry standard, I hate SSAO because it just looks fake especially when in motion, baked AO always looks nicer and gives more control to the artist.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Real question is why Bethesda keep naming their Games RPGs. This is obvious since Skyrim that Todd Howard's team dont even want to bake RPGs. They just want various walking sims with a hook to convince players to explore cause they think typical player is toi dumb or lasy tondo it by himself, like a donkey with a carrot and a stick.
Just stop pretending making RPGs, call that open world action/adventure with useless survivals elements, be honest ffs.

I thought they were taking this approach starting with FO4. They dropped the number of RPG features and improved the action/gun-play considerably compared to 3.

I thought this was going to be Bethesda embracing the fact that their games are better at the open world action game thing than RPG thing. And FO76 only further went that direction. But they got a lot of negative feedback from that so FO76 added back in some RPG features and according to reviews Starfield has more RPG features than FO4.

Which is something I found surprising, but it looks like Bethesda isn't willing to drop their light-RPG features and their fans want them in the games also. I will probably play this weekend, so I will see for myself.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Listening to sceptical review. Apparently this is another oblivious with how heavily they reuse whole locations.
Dude played 20 hours and in that time 5 locations were coppied 7, 5, 5, 4 and 3 times.

20 hours lol
20 hours when it was released... How long ago?

ind33d

Learned
If you want to fast travel to other planet you have to go through 5 loading screens the future is here bethesdatards!!!

if the game really is just fallout 4 in space, then the same open cities mods should be trivial to implement

Mortmal

Arcane
If Starfield can't beat those numbers on a Memorial Day/Labor Day/Whatever Day weekend, then it really is over.
You do realize the game isn't technically out yet right? These are just the tards that bought some extra special edition for 30 dollars more so they could play it 5 days early among other things.
You do realize that these people comprise the majority of the playerbase, right? The kind of people who worship the ground Todd walks on and play Bugthesda games, are the ones who get tricked and pay 30 extra dollars just to play the game a few days earlier. The kind of people who make a thread on Reddit about how their girlfriends stacked some cringely labeled literal junk food on their desk in preparation for their junk food game. More importantly the gap between early access and and proper launch is too big. On PC people might end up pirating the game and refunding it once they realize it's mediocre slop with constant triple loading screens. And it is.

For me, it's not even worth pirating. It's not a space game, it's space themed Fallout 4. And Fallout 4 is shit.
Many likely received it for free as part of an upgrade offer. Getting the premium edition with a new AMD CPU or GPU, especially with deal the like of a 6800XT and Starfield for 619euros, was certainly tempting. If you were planning to upgrade, it was an opportune time to do so. AMD hardware performs exceptionally well in games for half the price , but it's sadly not suitable for stable diffusion or data science-related tasks.

El Presidente

Arcane
This game is the quintessential nigger fatigue simulator premum edition, it's actually hilarious how Bethesda overplayed their hand on that regard :lol: The gender thing is also completely in your face, most bosses or authority figures are women (and also black), most experts are women (and also black), white guys for the most part are the comic relief of the scene (or absolutely incompetent), or old (gerontophilesisters, we won!!!!!), or faggots, or nameless "Citizen" NPCs without dialogue other than "hello, nice to meet you" when they pass by you. It's 100% impossible to play this game for more than 30 minutes without starting to notice things, it's hard to believe even the normies won't notice it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Sounds like the space travel part of the game called "Starfield" is shitty and underwhelming, which I feel justified in pointing out is something I said months ago. The fact that they were not showing off space travel was a huge red flag.

ind33d

Learned
Sounds like the space travel part of the game called "Starfield" is shitty and underwhelming, which I feel justified in pointing out is something I said months ago. The fact that they were not showing off space travel was a huge red flag.
in star trek you just beam up to places, why the fuck do you want to float from one asteroid to another at 10 MPH

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
in star trek you just beam up to places, why the fuck do you want to float from one asteroid to another at 10 MPH

It's hilarious because that's one of the big features of Empyrion. There are absolutely no loading screens that you can see. It's just a seamless transition from place to place and the areas show how tiny Starfield's maps actually are.

tritosine2k

Erudite
it's because deferred is the correct answer, because the BIG THONK goes like not only they can get away without precompute they fucking ace it because deferred offers complexity and insane # of lights,but then in real world SSAO is too unstable and unsafe so it's very shallow vs. ground truth, realtime shadows are hardly ever pixel perfect, cascade shadows are mostly broke & it adds up.
From my experience with deffered rendering vs forward it didn't change the look that much on the art side, it does fade the lighting making the transitions less harsh so your pure darks don't look pitch black but you can just adjust that with gamma. SSAO looks like crap no matter what you do, this is why baked AO is a more preferred industry standard, I hate SSAO because it just looks fake especially when in motion, baked AO always looks nicer and gives more control to the artist.
Baked AO = mesh parametrization usually you can't have that level wide and probes which don't need parametrization don't have accuracy for AO. SO you're kinda stuck with SSAO and it's unusable for medium/large scale. But it's good for small scale eg. contact shadows.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Pete Hines on Starfield: 'We could make a safer, less buggy, less risky game if we wanted to'

By Katie Wickens
published about 3 hours ago
The number one game development doctrine: It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

An astronaut in a space suit waves to a large bug

(Image credit: Bethesda)

Never has a Bethesda game been released without at least a few bugs. We all know how it goes… we either cease to play Skyrim because our AI companions won’t stop running into traps, or we embrace the wonderful weirdness and turn it into streaming content. And it’s not just us players who feel the need to cut Bethesda games some slack for their shortcomings.
Likely in reference to all the talk around Starfield bugs, Bethesda’s Head of publishing Pete Hines recently spoke to Games Industry Biz, assuring them that “We embrace chaos" over at Bethesda HQ. If that means leaning into the little bugs that make the game a more freeing experience for players, then so be it.
That’s how the company rolls, see.

“We could make a safer, less buggy, less risky game if we wanted to”, he continues. Sounds like a dream, Hines, so why didn’t you do just that?

“What we try to lean into is player freedom. Yes, there's going to be some little things here and there where your companion might stand a little too close to you sometimes, yet the freedom you get, and the things that happen because of that, we absolutely love and embrace.

"Of course there are bugs. But does it take away from your experience? Or do you have a consistent, fun game that you just can't stop playing and experimenting with?"
While I’m sure that’s meant to be a rhetorical question, there’s a part of me screaming to answer “I kind of just want a game that works.” Still, Microsoft exec Matt Booty seems to think Starfield is one of the least buggy Bethesda games he’s ever played. Having seen the bug counts back in June, he reckoned that “just by the numbers, if it shipped today, this would have the fewest bugs any Bethesda game ever shipped with."

We covered exactly how much bugginess Starfield players will have to put up with in our How buggy is Starfield? list. So feel free to mosey on over there if you want to see just how free, consistent, and fun your first Starfield playthrough might end up.

You already played it safe and it's still a Starship Troopers bug invasion.

Just another barefaced excuse from Bethesda's VP of Marketing (Pete the Liar).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom