Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Seethe

Arbiter
If Starfield can't beat those numbers on a Memorial Day/Labor Day/Whatever Day weekend, then it really is over.
You do realize the game isn't technically out yet right? These are just the tards that bought some extra special edition for 30 dollars more so they could play it 5 days early among other things.
You do realize that these people comprise the majority of the playerbase, right? The kind of people who worship the ground Todd walks on and play Bugthesda games, are the ones who get tricked and pay 30 extra dollars just to play the game a few days earlier. The kind of people who make a thread on Reddit about how their girlfriends stacked some cringely labeled literal junk food on their desk in preparation for their junk food game. More importantly the gap between early access and and proper launch is too big. On PC people might end up pirating the game and refunding it once they realize it's mediocre slop with constant triple loading screens. And it is.

For me, it's not even worth pirating. It's not a space game, it's space themed Fallout 4. And Fallout 4 is shit.
Many likely received it for free as part of an upgrade offer. Getting the premium edition with a new AMD CPU or GPU, especially with deal the like of a 6800XT and Starfield for 619euros, was certainly tempting. If you were planning to upgrade, it was an opportune time to do so. AMD hardware performs exceptionally well in games for half the price , but it's sadly not suitable for stable diffusion or data science-related tasks.
I have an Nvidia GPU and I couldn't care less about Stable Slopfusion. I'd rather pick up a pencil.

orcinator

Liturgist
You already played it safe and it's still a Starship Troopers bug invasion.
They're not talking about creative/technical safety, they're talking about physical safety because it took 5 security guards to keep Todd away from the rest of the team when someone said he can't put super mutants into the game.

Perkel

Arcane
starfield HDR is broken and even SDR is broken as well.
:D

image.png

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Lol. Everyone that is criticizing Starfield for its graphics is saying the exact same things that they were saying for Fallout4, eight years ago.

Readher

Savant
The game literally wants you to use shitty upscaling at every preset, and runs like absolute dogshit without it. Another unoptimized slop made by talentless hacks. Toddbros, I wanted to believe, but we unironically lost.

Shin

Cipher
Please let this be the new arrow in the knee. Let it be something that's actually fucking funny.
I'm 95% sure at one point you'll pull off an impossible job, save thousands of people while battling space trannies and some retard guard will show up and yell 'OH MY I USED TO BE A SUPER SPACE HERO LIKE URSELF UNTIL I TOOK A ... A SPACE LASER IN THE KNEE!!!!1'
and people on reddit will post it a thousand times and pat each other on the shoulders whilst commending their fabulous sense of humor and praising the brilliant writers at Bethsoft

or wait WAIT its going to be much worse, YOUNG people (the horror!) will probably all start making selfies on their instragram and make 9 second videos on the tiktok that mimic the screenshots above
then in TES6 we'll have random NPC's giving you THE STARFIELD LOOK, and a whole lot of young adults will look at that and be filled with nostalgia as they remember Starfield as one of gaming's finest gems

but hopefully we'll get hit by a solar flare and a meteor and intergalactic nuclear missiles before that

Naraya

Arcane
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

88A8F2B94089CFEFA3919DF0A2A24D4BD712A84C
Are graphic designers in Bethesda blind? Or they don't know what saturation is? This looks like generic UK city with generic UK weather.

elverkongen

Learned
Please let this be the new arrow in the knee. Let it be something that's actually fucking funny.
"Nigga WHAT?!"
The amount of nogs in the city is astounding. A lot of them have white people hair too. It's like they aren't even trying. Just put black people in the game. Uh, how many sir? All of them! More! More!

Are graphic designers in Bethesda blind? Or they don't know what saturation is? This looks like generic UK city with generic UK weather.
The future is black, fat, and female(?)

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Why would i want this kind of dreaded future with art style attacking my eyesight and my sense of aesthetics as my escapism vehicle? Im starting to think they do it on purpose, just as we found out recently from the words of the devs themselves they already uglify women.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

ArchAngel

Arcane
"Nigga WHAT?!"

The future is black, fat, and female(?)
Only outside Earth. Like how in Starcraft lore they send all the retards to another part of the Galaxy which end up forming Dominion full of hicks that get ass blasted by both Zerg and Protoss. Then Humans from Earth come, take over Overmind easily and force Protoss and Zerg and retard Humans to all unite to beat them..

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Wild to think my 11700k + 3070 will struggle to run this game at 2k. It doesn't even look that good.

Have you ever considered lowering the graphics settings?

If you watched the video changing the settings really doesn't impact much except make things even blurrier and look more like shit.

I watched the first part which showed him getting 80+ FPS on the lower settings. Seems good to go performance wise to me. You can say the graphics are bad, they don't look like top shelf graphics to me based on screenshots and videos. But Bethesda games have never had good graphics and performance. It usually improves with patches, but I have always been able to at least play their games, even close to launch.

Maybe I just don't understand why people get so hung up and bothered by graphics, since I have never really been a graphics person. I appreciate when games look better. But it isn't a deal breaker if they don't look great, and I couldn't even tell you what graphics card I have without looking it up in my system settings.

So any time I have had performance issues I have always just gone in and dropped down the graphics settings to a level needed for the frame rates to be decent (I can usually be satisifed with about 40+) without batting an eye or even thinking much about it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I just finished one quest. It starts pretty cool, you need to hunt down a mosnter, the game builds it up pretty well, asks you to turn on the defense sytem while stay away from it, avoiding direct combat.

Then after you get the defense sysmte running, the monster just get killed by it. I didn't even see how it get killed. I get there expecting some boss fight and instead just find a dead body.

Good job on ruinning it Bethesda.

Wild to think my 11700k + 3070 will struggle to run this game at 2k. It doesn't even look that good.

Have you ever considered lowering the graphics settings?

If you watched the video changing the settings really doesn't impact much except make things even blurrier and look more like shit.

I watched the first part which showed him getting 80+ FPS on the lower settings. Seems good to go performance wise to me. You can say the graphics are bad, they don't look like top shelf graphics to me based on screenshots and videos. But Bethesda games have never had good graphics and performance. It usually improves with patches, but I have always been able to at least play their games, even close to launch.

Maybe I just don't understand why people get so hung up and bothered by graphics, since I have never really been a graphics person. I appreciate when games look better. But it isn't a deal breaker if they don't look great, and I couldn't even tell you what graphics card I have without looking it up in my system settings.

So any time I have had performance issues I have always just gone in and dropped down the graphics settings to a level needed for the frame rates to be decent (I can usually be satisifed with about 40+) without batting an eye or even thinking much about it.

Maybe it's just me but I don't know, I think the graphics are pretty good for the most part. They aren't exactly the most mind-blowing I've ever seen in my life but as far as Bethesda games and "Bethesda-adjacent" games go, I've been pretty impressed. The red lights on the ships, the fog in the caves, and the animations of people when they're shot, all fun stuff to look at.

Also yeah it does run pretty well, I'm running it on the max settings and getting 80 FPS when there's lots of activity and 120 when it's chill. I've noticed one glitch but it isn't game-breaking. Still I'm only in about 8 hours and it's taking its time opening more of itself up but I'm generally having a good time with it.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I watched the first part which showed him getting 80+ FPS on the lower settings.

So you didn't watch the video.

He tested the game across a variety of graphic cards using his own personal collection. They are the RX 6800XT, RX 6700, RTX 3080, and the GTX 1070. His findings were that the game is an unoptimized pile of steaming shit that you have to use upscaling on the low preset to even get moderate performance that's above 30 fps on 1440. He also highlighted that you can't play full screen at 1080p on a 1440 monitor. You're forced into windowed mode.

Maybe before you actually make a comment about said video you watch the entire thing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I watched the first part which showed him getting 80+ FPS on the lower settings.

He tested the game across a variety of graphic cards using his own personal collection. They are the RX 6800XT, RX 6700, RTX 3080, and the GTX 1070. His findings were that the game is an unoptimized pile of steaming shit that you have to use upscaling on the low preset to even get moderate performance that's above 30 fps on 1440. He also highlighted that you can't play full screen at 1080p on a 1440 monitor. You're forced into windowed mode.

Maybe before you actually make a comment about said video you watch the entire thing.
Luckily I only got a 1080 TV, hopefully my Xbox X can have stable 30 FPS with it
Fuck you Bethesda and M$

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

He tested the game across a variety of graphic cards using his own personal collection. They are the RX 6800XT, RX 6700, RTX 3080, and the GTX 1070. His findings were that the game is an unoptimized pile of steaming shit that you have to use upscaling to even get moderate performance that's above 30 fps on 1440. He also highlighted that you can't play full screen at 1080p on a 1440 monitor. You're forced into windowed mode.

I don't watch performance test videos for games because they are boring and I don't care. I don't even know what most of the graphics cards he would be testing are and how they compare to each other. But his title about Starfield maybe being "unplayable" was pretty much immediately undercut by the very start of the video where he gets 80 FPS. Which is absolutelyy playable by every standard under the sun. So a click-bait title makes it a double not watch.

Plus plenty of other people, some in this thread, have commented that performance seems to be pretty reasonable.

Again, if you are a person that gets really excited by graphics and performance and angered if you can't play a game without having to drop the graphics to lower settings than you think your hardware entitles you to, I don't really understand that at all. That just aren't the way I value, judge, or think about games.

I don't buy the latest and greatest in graphics cards or other computer hardware, I don't get offended if I can't run a game on max settings, and I am okay with the expectation of having to run newer more graphics intensive games on medium settings or even low settings.

It is when I start reaching the point where I get bad performance on low settings on multiple games I am interested in that I start considering buying a new laptop. It looks like I should be able to play starfield just fine though, so I'm not concerned.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom