Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Readher

Savant
JFC, why do all modern AAA games look like washed out, plastic shit?
Cheap texture feel is due to:
1. Its cheap
2. Its fast and therefore cheap
3. Its unimaginative therefore its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
5. Is suspect something in women psychology makem them so they can't for their life create gritty, worn and realistic surface materials like in the stalker games.
Pretty sure it mostly has to do with deferred rendering and the things it introduced, like materials and such. Look at Assassin's Creed Unity footage (ignoring the bugs of initial release) and how that game looks. Literally impossible for any current engine to achieve such razor-sharp clarity and beauty. And then look at Elise's hair, which somehow looks really good even though they weren't using any temporal piece of crap that's supposedly needed to fix shimmering in hair.

Mortmal

Arcane
Can we please sweep out anime fans and BG3 cultists from this based topic?
The next big thing is indeed on the horizon. Many have already invested hundreds of hours into Baldur's Gate 3, with some deliberately selecting the major gay options at every turn, feigning false outrage but secretly aroused, and reporting it to fair codexia. However, as with all good things, it eventually comes to an end. With the cold weather outside and limited options for entertainment, everyone is turning their attention to Starfield. After that, we might shift our focus to Colony Ship, provided it's not too tame and under-hyped.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
F475gcuWkAA_QOU

Is this the infamous result of multi racial society? The Black + Singapore/Malaysia Chinese hybrid?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
1. Its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
5. Is suspect something in women psychology makem them so they can't for their life create gritty, worn and realistic surface materials like in the stalker games.
Pretty sure it mostly has to do with deferred rendering and the things it introduced, like materials and such. Look at Assassin's Creed Unity footage (ignoring the bugs of initial release) and how that game looks. Literally impossible for any current engine to achieve such razor-sharp clarity and beauty. And then look at Elise's hair, which somehow looks really good even though they weren't using any temporal piece of crap that's supposedly needed to fix shimmering in hair.

Deferred rendering screenshot from substance painter

rust-streaks1-tiled-preview.jpg

Attachments

• ccc.jpg
    ccc.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 76

Hagashager

Educated
Kinda strange how they picked Dark Elves, which was hardly anything new or special, and then came up with such a unique setting for them that it captivates me (and I'm sure many others as well) to this day.

Fast-forward 20 years later, and the most "unique" fantasy setting we have is Sawyer bashing his Larian-obsessed head on the keyboard when naming things, while doing generic fantasy. Clown industry.
Everything I've seen of this game looks incredibly cynical. Someone else described it as "miserable" and man, just looking at it makes me feel miserable. Everything, even the woke stuff, looks phoned in.

"Whatever, copypaste the gunfights from 76. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, ape some of No Man's Sky, whatever fits. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, slather everything in a greasy looking grey, yellow or greeen filter. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, make everyone Black and gay. I don't care anymore."

The same company that made Morrowind, a game with semi-decent commentary on racism, bigotry and fascism, brought us this.

"Todd Howard is Tired: The Video-Game"

Mortmal

Arcane
200k paid premium to play 5 days early ? jeeez
Way more than 200k that's just the peak of people playing it at the same time at one moment.
sfVD1yd.png
:martini:
With 18,620 leeches compared to only 1,200 seeds, it's highly likely that many won't be playing it on day one. When examining the comments and considering the kind of hardware these guys have, knowing that performance on top-tier PCs is catastrophic, on their potato systems it could be practically unplayable.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
1. Its cheap
4. Grit doesn't sell
Or hear me out on this. Most of their "Talent" only knows how to slap unmodified substance painter shaders onto meshes and they have no idea how to do actual texture work like add damaged detailing and make everything look worn and lived in. But nah its probably what you said /s.
Good textures take a lot of effort. Effort that is obviously lacking here.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
This game looks absolutely miserable
It's depressing just looking at it
And every NPC is black or mixed so normal people can't even escape into a nice fantasy world
Is this a demoralization psyop?
Yeah, this is what I was saying earlier in another thread:

Big studios get all their money from an initial sale. They mainly care about the first 10 hours or so, since that's all people finish, and they heavily rely on big money and on the media machine for ads, reviews and buzz in general.

But then you have Japanese and Korean gacha games, which although complete rip-offs are funded by user purchases. Users need to like the game content and want additional content enough to pull out their wallets. Regularly.

Go to any gacha game and count the number of black women vs the number of white women. Real Princess and the Frog reality check. FGO, for example, has I think one actually black woman out of 375 characters.

The problem is, the whole world has gotten used to blacks being forced into every media. So, for an initial sale, where all you're seeing is a commercial and only start thinking about this stuff hours later, it's not a problem.

But if you really had to choose with your wallet the kind of characters you want in the game, you'd probably pick European, Asian or any other race first.
Yeah, the chinese gacha game I'm playing has only 1 black character. Didn't even know about it, had to check when I read your post.
Hopefully the modders will give us a game where the black women look like
3ilzkbuzw9u81.gif

and the white girls look like

maxresdefault.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Good textures take a lot of effort. Effort that is obviously lacking here.
Bethesda games textures have always been awful. Is it because of the limitation of the engine ? Their internal tools ? They always look like they've been saved in jpg.
You know. People get state paid university education, get hired, then they are doing what they taught them in schools. Like saving textures in JPEG.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
Kinda strange how they picked Dark Elves, which was hardly anything new or special, and then came up with such a unique setting for them that it captivates me (and I'm sure many others as well) to this day.

Fast-forward 20 years later, and the most "unique" fantasy setting we have is Sawyer bashing his Larian-obsessed head on the keyboard when naming things, while doing generic fantasy. Clown industry.
Everything I've seen of this game looks incredibly cynical. Someone else described it as "miserable" and man, just looking at it makes me feel miserable. Everything, even the woke stuff, looks phoned in.

"Whatever, copypaste the gunfights from 76. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, ape some of No Man's Sky, whatever fits. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, slather everything in a greasy looking grey, yellow or greeen filter. I don't care anymore."

"Whatever, make everyone Black and gay. I don't care anymore."

The same company that made Morrowind, a game with semi-decent commentary on racism, bigotry and fascism, brought us this.

"Todd Howard is Tired: The Video-Game"
Todd stopped giving a shit about games the minute he fullfilled his lifelong dream of becoming a famous game designer and flaunting his fame to the kids that made fun of his autism in school.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
They always look like they've been saved in jpg.
See earlier in the thread where I proved that they're saved in BC/DXT compression - so they're using "good practices" but they're using them incorrectly as I proved before.
On the model end however its possible there could be UV optimization issues -- lets be honest here that's probably a BIG part of it because incorrectly scaled UV shells will look similar to JPEG compression.
But again its down entirely to artistry and how the texture is crafted and designed. If the person making the art doesn't care then it shows in the result. Even if the UVs were done poorly, even if the mesh is done poorly, you can still save it in the texture. If the texture looks bad then it means incompetence. That simple really.

ed; for clarification, if your mesh is bad then it stays a mesh and is not used, if your mesh is useable but your UV is bad then it cannot be textured, if the UV is acceptable then ultimately if the texture is bad then the art is bad, you shouldn't be seeing un textured art in a production game, thus if an asset makes it to texturing its likely the texture artist that fucked up.

Last edited:
holy shit the retardation. if you have "increased lung capacity" you consume MORE oxygen. i know i did scuba diving, and having gigantic lungs my tanks emptied almost twice as fast. of course people go for fantasy, anything retarded it's justified "it just works".
fuck off todd, die today.

The worst thing about this game is how many times the game has you follow someone to the next objective. In fact, it's the first thing you do in this game and it keeps popping up everywhere. The NPCs walk slightly faster than your walking speed so it's just a major pain in the ass and extremely tedious.

Ravielsk

Magister

The game has the exact same visual quality as Fallout 4 yet somehow demands a gpu that is basically 3 generations ahead in terms of performance. The one thing I had hoped for with Bethesda sticking with creation engine was that it would at least maintain a level of performance proportional to its visuals but obviously yet again I hoped for more than is possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom