Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
For anyone who's about to start the game tomorrow, trust me on this - explore New Atlantis just enough to get familiar with what it is and who the United Colonies are, do a couple of sidequests if any strike you as interesting (check out The Well), but then leave New Atlantis ASAP and go to Cowboy World to join the Rangers, or Cyberpunk World to join the megacorp.
Did you do the main quest long enough to finish "Into the Unknown" quest? Do you still recommend skipping that in favour of faction quests? It does unlock more stuff which makes exploration a lot more rewarding and combat more fun, I wouldn't skip out on that.

Lemming42

Arcane
I haven't even completed that one. I did it long enough to get Andreja but then forgot it existed. Is that where you unlock the Dragonborn powers? I might go do it after this Terrormorph thing.

Vic

Savant
I haven't even completed that one. I did it long enough to get Andreja but then forgot it existed. Is that where you unlock the Dragonborn powers? I might go do it after this Terrormorph thing.
Yes and it will unlock
the "dragonshrines" in the galaxy so you get more locations to find that are actually rewarding.

Lemming42

Arcane
Someone tell me if there's a game to scratch a firefly itch, by the way.
Possibly a weird suggestion, but FTL gives off a slightly Firefly-ish vibe at times.

If you specifically want space western, try Gunman Chronicles. It's not really anything like Firefly but it has a Space Western sheen and a very late 90s/early 2000s sci-fi vibe. Honestly I'm just recommending it because I think it's great and that more people should play it.

Ulysa

Scholar
It has a nice moment too at the end if you enjoy scifi movies. I haven't found the terrormorph stuff yet and Alien is my fav movie :bounce:

kroki

Literate
ok so i torrented this. in the intro poc lady bosses me arround and the white dweeb behind her reminds me about her One Simple Rule - "do as the boss lady says". i remember playing outer worlds years ago and it also started with a sassy sheboon. big yikes so far.

i tried to shoot her with mining laser but beam just noclips through her model :hahano:

Congratulations on playing the first 5 minutes of the game, I guess.

If you have already decided that you aren't going to like it, or at least decided you are going to pretend to not like it on the codex so people think you are cool, that is probably the opinion you are going to have.

What were you expecting would happen by the way? That you would immediately get in a fight with all the NPCs in the tutorial game and that you would get a game over? Or did you expect them to write an alternate plot to the game where you are someone who just mass murders NPCs that are part of the main plot (or side plots)?

While it was laudable that New Vegas was written in such a way that you could still complete it (although would miss a lot of content) if you just murder every NPC you see, almost no game does that. Because it is a lot of work to try to accommodate someone that isn't really interested in playing the game you are making. That is why most developers just make it so you aren't able to attack important NPCs or else to make it so they can't be killed and they don't react to you attacking them.
not long after that i acquired a ship from a quirky negronaut and decided to explore some kind of space station with my new equally quirky reddit robot companion. there were pirate npcs inside that took a whole smg magazine point blank to head to be killed. i hit toilet seat with axe. bullet hole appeared on it. i hit some wine glasses with an axe too, they just fell down uimpressively on the floor. somewhere in between of all above i got to scan resource nodes that just stuck out of flat ground like sore thumbs and kill some space fauna, that couldnt keep up with me circle strafing around it. its a pity i propably wont make it to the apetlantis to get few laughs at sanpaku eyed niggers before i yeet this piece of shit off my ssd

Readher

Savant
United Colonies questline is very good. Every faction is a big hit so far. The only one I haven't gotten into is the cyberpunk megacorp one, and that's only because I'm trying to roleplay a morally-decent character and the megacorp is obviously shady as fuck. In terms of actual content though, it seemed great.

For anyone who's about to start the game tomorrow, trust me on this - explore New Atlantis just enough to get familiar with what it is and who the United Colonies are, do a couple of sidequests if any strike you as interesting (check out The Well), but then leave New Atlantis ASAP and go to Cowboy World to join the Rangers, or Cyberpunk World to join the megacorp. On the way to each planet you should find yourself awash in sidequests and random encounters in space, which are fun. Go back to New Atlantis only when you've gotten to grips with what the game is and the tone it's going for.

I don't know if it's specifically New Atlantis' fault, or just the fact that it's the first city in the game and new players will be confused by it as they don't understand the game's tone and design philosophy, but New Atlantis really does suck. Even now that I'm enjoying the game, I'm finding it a drag to go back to with its endless elevators and trams.

I think the issue is what darkpatriot mentioned above - it's deliberately sterile and boring, but new players won't realise it's by design and will instead assume, as I did, that the whole game is going to be dull. On top of that, the real meat of New Atlantis is in The Well, which new players could easily miss, walking around the endless sterile gardens and shopping centres instead.
Ryujin is clearly the Thieves Guild stand-in faction. The last mission is like some Splinter Cell level. Really cool, though I wanted to throw my PC out of the window a few times since the detection is obviously a bit wonky compared to actual stealth games and can fuck you up sometimes.

Vic

Savant
not long after that i acquired a ship from a quirky negronaut and decided to explore some kind of space station with my new equally quirky reddit robot companion. there were pirate npcs inside that took a whole smg magazine point blank to head to be killed. i hit toilet seat with axe. bullet hole appeared on it. i hit some wine glasses with an axe too, they just fell down uimpressively on the floor. somewhere in between of all above i got to scan resource nodes that just stuck out of flat ground like sore thumbs and kill some space fauna, that couldnt keep up with me circle strafing around it. its a pity i propably wont make it to the apetlantis to get few laughs at sanpaku eyed niggers before i yeet this piece of shit off my ssd
congratulations on being a retard, I guess

game literally doesn't start picking up until a couple hours into the main quest. you are still in the tutorial ,moron.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

If you need to make a post like that to garner validation then you have a problem.
That seems to be the norm over on Reddit. The same thing happened with Diablo 4. That said, Starfield isn’t anywhere close to as shitty as Diablo 4. Blizzard is on some next level decline.

Well it is Shittet. D4 isn't real Diablo anyway. Anything made after D2 is fan fiction.

ArchAngel

Arcane

kroki

Literate
congratulations on being a retard, I guess

game literally doesn't start picking up until a couple hours into the main quest. you are still in the tutorial ,moron.
1693922385557387.png

idk this is what you are so rabid about? or is that tutorial too

1693922628094456.png

see that mountain? you can climb it! :hahano:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
New Atlantis is probably one of the:
- laziest
- ugliest
- [Key Required To Unlock] Filled
- [Elevator Goes to a Single Room In a 200 Floor Apartment] Filled
- [Tiny single NPC Store with nothing to explore] filled
- [Shitty Crowds that Sit on Benches 24-7] filled

cities that Bethesda has ever made.. and really sets players off on the wrong foot.

However..

The more you play this game and see literally everything else in the game.. the more enjoyable it becomes.

For me, this is just such a weird design decision.. it feels like New Atlantis was cut or worked on by the "B-Team" or overly ambitious for consoles or something.. but it just stands out as the biggest missed potential possible despite being what they focused on so much in the marketing.

I hope Bethesda never does a "New Atlantis" city again.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yep, it's a critical mistake they've made, starting the player there. Especially because most people playing this will have some familiarity with Bethesda games, and therefore think that they're supposed to fully explore the whole city and finish all its quests before moving on to the next area.

It's such a fuckup that it's inexplicable how it got past playtesting. Either the game needed to encourage the player to leave New Atlantis quite quickly, or New Atlantis itself needed to be substantially reduced in scale and scope to something much more enjoyable to actually play. "New Atlantis sucks" is such a common sentiment that playtesters must have voiced it.

Vic

Savant
see that mountain? you can climb it! :hahano:
that's not the fucking game either

57ozaebbhdmb1.png

Do not explore planets on foot, you will almost never find anything worthwhile, explore with your spaceship. when you enter a solar system some planets will have 3 dots on them, this indicates points of interest, explore those. Also do the main quest until you finish the quest "Into the Unknown" which should take only a couple hours to get the game going.

You have to be a class A retard if you think walking across a barren planet to reach a hill is the game.

Ravielsk

Magister
The uninspiring 50-year-old white male coder is definitely far too expensive and he's already hired into better jobs.
Even worse the uninspired 50-year-old white male might even insist that they should do some things the proper way instead of halfassing them. I am pretty sure that the main culprit behind the poor performance is that they use some wholly dynamic lightning solution with nothing pre-calculated or preset. This technically means the lighting is more true to life and the level designer does not have to light the scene beyond just placing light sources. Problem is that means the engine has to basically re-calculate the lightning for every frame and that is just stupidly taxing on any system.

RTX cards were seen as revolutionary because the dedicated raytracing cores meant this approach was not entirely retarded and actually produced good results. Bethesda however most likely could not get it to work at a stable framerate so they used this sort stop gap solution that any more experienced programmer would tell them is retarded but here we are.

ind33d

Learned
What features from Daggerfall are missing in Starfield? It would be good to start a list so modders know what to fix.

soulburner

Cipher
New Atlantis is probably one of the:
- laziest
- ugliest
- [Key Required To Unlock] Filled
- [Elevator Goes to a Single Room In a 200 Floor Apartment] Filled
- [Tiny single NPC Store with nothing to explore] filled
- [Shitty Crowds that Sit on Benches 24-7] filled

cities that Bethesda has ever made.. (...)
Agreed. The city that's supposed to wow the player looks... I don't know, sterile? Pretty much each and every other location in the game is much more detailed and look like something actually released in 2023. Atlantis looks like an alpha version or some kind of proof of concept demonstration which made it into the game unsupervised.

New Atlantis is probably the number one reason people dislike the game because it sucks so much.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What features from Daggerfall are missing in Starfield? It would be good to start a list so modders know what to fix.

Create a class, the ability to ignore the main quest and live an entire life, climbing up walls....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom