Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
New Atlantis is probably one of the:
- laziest
- ugliest
- [Key Required To Unlock] Filled
- [Elevator Goes to a Single Room In a 200 Floor Apartment] Filled
- [Tiny single NPC Store with nothing to explore] filled
- [Shitty Crowds that Sit on Benches 24-7] filled

cities that Bethesda has ever made.. (...)
Agreed. The city that's supposed to wow the player looks... I don't know, sterile? Pretty much each and every other location in the game is much more detailed and look like something actually released in 2023. Atlantis looks like an alpha version or some kind of proof of concept demonstration which made it into the game unsupervised.

New Atlantis is probably the number one reason people dislike the game because it sucks so much.

Industry term is vertical slice...

kroki

Literate
see that mountain? you can climb it! :hahano:
that's not the fucking game either

57ozaebbhdmb1.png

Do not explore planets on foot, you will almost never find anything worthwhile, explore with your spaceship. when you enter a solar system some planets will have 3 dots on them, this indicates points of interest, explore those. Also do the main quest until you finish the quest "Into the Unknown" which should take only a couple hours to get the game going.

You have to be a class A retard if you think walking across a barren planet to reach a hill is the game.
idk man you just seem upset. about the time you touched some grass. maybe at least open a window

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am pretty sure that the main culprit behind the poor performance is that they use some wholly dynamic lightning solution with nothing pre-calculated or preset. This technically means the lighting is more true to life and the level designer does not have to light the scene beyond just placing light sources. Problem is that means the engine has to basically re-calculate the lightning for every frame and that is just stupidly taxing on any system.

You don't need to be pretty sure. It's called Realtime Global Illumination.. and I believe they used the same tech in Fallout 76.
It's certainly expensive to calculate real time and really comes down to what their update interval is (I believe they update every in-game hour which isn't that bad actually - every frame() would be retarded).

AFAIK This accounts for their sunlight direction which I believe their engine can only support one source at a time.. So no Galaxies with two suns on opposite sides of a planet.

This isn't some new fangle dangled technology though.. They used it in FO76 and it's been in Unity and Unreal for years. I'm not sure if they in-housed it or licensed it though.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I am pretty sure that the main culprit behind the poor performance is that they use some wholly dynamic lightning solution with nothing pre-calculated or preset. This technically means the lighting is more true to life and the level designer does not have to light the scene beyond just placing light sources. Problem is that means the engine has to basically re-calculate the lightning for every frame and that is just stupidly taxing on any system.

You don't need to be pretty sure. It's called Realtime Global Illumination.. and I'm believe they used the same tech in Fallout 76.
It's certainly expensive to calculate real time and really comes down to what their update interval is (I believe they update every in-game hour which isn't that bad actually).

AFAIK This accounts for their sunlight direction which I believe their engine can only support one source at a time.. So no Galaxies with two suns on opposite sides of a planet.

This isn't some new fangle dangled technology though.. They used it in FO76 and it's been in Unity and Unreal for years. I'm not sure if they in-housed it or licensed it though.

That's only part of the problem. The other part is the sheer size of the textures in the BA2 files. They range from 500 MG to 4+ GB.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Vyvian

Educated

You don't need to be pretty sure. It's called Realtime Global Illumination.. and I'm believe they used the same tech in Fallout 76.
It's certainly expensive to calculate real time and really comes down to what their update interval is (I believe they update every in-game hour which isn't that bad actually).

That's only part of the problem. The other part is the sheer size of the textures in the BA2 files. They range from 500 MG to 4+ GB.
I noticed modders have already begun optimizing the game's textures. It's pretty sloppy and quick right now but the work has begun.
Why Bethesda couldn't do this is beyond me but it seems to be an issue with every developer nowadays.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I noticed modders have already begun optimizing the game's textures. It's pretty sloppy and quick right now but the work has begun.

That's because their customers are retards to do free work for them.

Why Bethesda couldn't do this is beyond me but it seems to be an issue with every developer nowadays.

Because they're retarded diversity hires.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Daggerfall climbing is not vaulting.
it accomplishes the same especially if you are on a low gravity planet with a boost pack.

Jetpack boosting makes climbing largely redundant. Locations are already designed with verticality due to jetpacks. A skill you could invest in that let you climb, but wouldn't improve how far you could jetpack jump, would just be an inferior skill that did largely the same thing.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
it accomplishes the same especially if you are on a low gravity planet with a boost pack.

Jetpack boosting makes climbing totally redundant. Locations are already designed with verticality due to jetpacks. A skill you could invest in that let you climb, but wouldn't improve how far you could jetpack jump, would just be an inferior skill that did largely the same thing.

It's still not climbing as per Daggerfall which is what I said.

Why are you inhaling the copium instead of just saying, "You know you are right."?

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Jetpack boosting makes climbing totally redundant. Locations are already designed with verticality due to jetpacks. A skill you could invest in that let you climb, but wouldn't improve how far you could jetpack jump, would just be an inferior skill that did largely the same thing.

It's still not climbing as per Daggerfall which is what I said.

Why are you inhaling the copium instead of just saying, "You know you are right."?

Because I am not arguing with your original statement. I was commenting to say there wouldn't be any value gained by adding climbing into the game because jetpack boosting already accomplishes adding vertical exploration to the game.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
All 3 cities I've been in are shit so far... mulatto town, cowboy town and pirate base.

Planet exploring ain't great either. I'll take mass effect 1's mako and 2's resource scanning over this any day.
the mako, seriously? Jeez.

Planet traversal in this is infuriating. Cheated and banged my weight limit up to something like 2000 just so my character wouldn't run out of o2 running for 5 seconds.

No excuse for no grav bike or buggy in this game outside of Todd being a lazy twat. No crossbows and blunt axes all over again.

Basically exploration is the same as mass effect 1 though. Prefabbed buildings/encounters on a heightmapped planet.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Because I am not arguing with your original statement. I was commenting to say there wouldn't be any value gained by adding climbing into the game because jetpack boosting already accomplishes adding vertical exploration to the game.

Translation: I'm inhaling the copium because JD can't be right.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

It's nothing new.. Skyrim has texture overhauls that improve textures 10x fold while also improving performance.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I saw the tech jesus steve (gamer nexus) video. So you're saying I need an 5.8ghz processor and a 4090 in order to make it so the game is purely GPU bound. ahah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom