Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

VerSacrum

Educated
I've just seen a Starfield NPC be shocked at the thought that carrying potentially invasive life forms from planet to planet might result in dire consequences. Said NPC is a scientist.

Look, I don't mind magic Star Trek gravity on board of a spaceship, or pretending you're doing planetary entry quarantine during the loading screens, but you can't then turn around and highlight those things you covered up for the sake of gameplay convenience with a massive spotlight in a major quest.
You do know that you are talking about people that designed Fo4 where after 200 years you can still find items that would be completely gone in much shorter time than that. Not to mention settlements that nobody lives in that in 200 years are not taken over by nature..
Things like that are more forgivable in a semi-serious setting like Fallout.

peter-hines-twitter-jpeg.4096

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Playing a game with artificial difficulty built in with no way to get better outside of leveling up is not.
I feel like you guys are really having a wild ride talking about RPG needing skill. The way I see it, an FPS can be a great RPG (see System Shock 2). You need good worldbuilding, build variety to give you the feeling of character growth and ideally some sort of C&C. You could make a reflex shooter into a great RPG, you'd just have to tailor the build variety towards out of combat interactions for example.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
You do know that you are talking about people that designed Fo4 where after 200 years you can still find items that would be completely gone in much shorter time than that. Not to mention settlements that nobody lives in that in 200 years are not taken over by nature..

Sure, but my point is that people can overlook those things as long as they're not overtly highlighted. It's what suspension of disbelief is for.

man-erg

Novice
Yet there are none which have all of that, it is as simple as that. So if you want to play a space cowboy, who flights a ship of his own design, doing piloting, trading and all kinds of adventures, builds a base on some random rock to store trophies and whores, there are simply no other games which would allow you to.
Yes. But what else is there if you don't want to be a space cowboy? Everything I've seen looks like a Wild West shooter, only with a space reskin. Outlaws everywhere. Saloon shoot outs. Docs. Sheriffs. Fair enough as one way of playing the game. Not seeing much else. And trading doesn't count because the novelty of buying something cheap in one place, then fast travelling somewhere else and selling it repeat ad nauseum, has worn out.

If it's FO4 in space, why not just stick with FO4 and not have all the loading screens? What does it do better than FO4 worth the price?

Game should have been called "Starcowboy". Though it seems Borderlands already does that way better than this.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Thanks retard. I did not know this but knowing Bethesda if a large number of people ask for refunds they will suspend it.
They can't suspend it because it is steams policy. Lot's of people are refunding the $100 as we speak and the $70 plebs are pissed off.
It's more of a bug. Steam early access is there for the unfinished games during the various stages of development. Not the same as giving a couple of days earlier access for the finished product.
Likely steam engine doesn't fully support it yet and unlimited refunds is an unplanned technical peculiarity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Some guy counted the black to white ratio in New Atlantis and posted it on the Steam forums

whites are obviously not the majority if you have all races mixed together. Did he count asians? because when I counted there were as much asians as blacks

If they care for realism there would be very little blacks or whites. It would be 75% asians and indians and then 15% whites and 10% blacks.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
If they care for realism there would be very little blacks or whites. It would be 75% asians and indians and then 15% whites and 10% blacks.
muh realism in sci fi settign

they just randomly generate them from their preset, but it's pretty even among all races

but because of RNG it's possible to see mostly only blacks or only whites etc. people are blowing this way out of proportion for the meme value

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yea I'm sure in 300 years Pajeets will be out in force colonizing space instead of wallowing in their own filth, unable to figure out toilets like they have been for the past few millennia :lol:

Vic

Savant
the reception of starfield shows that people, despite their complaints, absolutely need hand holding in video games, otherwise they be like Konjad and try flying into some random ass rock not even part of the game map, then call the game shit because they can't land there.

“a mindless, brainless, content devoid marathon to nothing”
so just like all the MMOs that that retard is constantly playing?

People buy into these provocative hype videos all the time and give those fucktards money.

can you say baah?
Like it or not these streamers influence the conversation surrounding the game. The game hasn’t officially launched yet and the conversation is mostly negative. Not looking good for Bethesda.

Readher

Savant
the reception of starfield shows that people, despite their complaints, absolutely need hand holding in video games, otherwise they be like Konjad and try flying into some random ass rock not even part of the game map, then call the game shit because they can't land there.
The game simply filters out those who weren't smart enough to be part of the chess club.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea I'm sure in 300 years Pajeets will be out in force colonizing space instead of wallowing in their own filth, unable to figure out toilets like they have been for the past few millennia :lol:
Well story is Earth was evacuated so unless they only evacuated Europe and USA and Africa (by the look of New Atlantis they did) they would be there in space in big numbers.

Vic

Savant
Like it or not these streamers influence the conversation surrounding the game. The game hasn’t officially launched yet and the conversation is mostly negative. Not looking good for Bethesda.
bethesda made the mistake of creating a huge game with tons of shit going on and giving the player total freedom over it. normies don't know what to do and call the game boring.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
What makes it even more bizarre and jarring is the totally abandoned Earth that no one even talks about. Oh yeah sure, our homeworld is completely fucked yet we still survive in colonies and never go there, try to rebuild anything or even talk about it, nothing to see here move along sir.
It's got no magnetosphere bro, it's like a chicken nugget left in a constantly-running nuclear-powered microwave for hundreds of years.
What exactly do you want them to do? Most space hicks don't even believe it existed.
Which is a bit unscientific, even without the magnetic field it would take millions (probably hundreds of millions) of years for Earth to look like that, not a hundred or so years it took in the game.
Though I haven't seen much lore on it yet, maybe there is some explanation.

Vic

Savant
Here some real criticism.

I've been doing a bounty hunt and a ship landed near me, I went inside and saw the captian who was trying to fix his ship. He was a bit looney, and when I asked him why he doesn't buy a new ship if his old one gives him so much trouble he retorted to me "what are you rich? if you are my next question is are you single. I'm not, but I can be for the right price." seems like even bethesda can't fucking make a game without woke shit in it.

Starfield-9-5-2023-5-54-56-PM.png

Starfield-9-5-2023-5-55-16-PM.png

Starfield-9-5-2023-5-55-46-PM.png

This encounter had nothing else to it, just this conversation with him, I didn't get an option to help him with his ship, and as I went back out he left after a minute or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom