Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

KeAShizuku

Educated
at least half of the questlines in starfield are great, why does everyone want to hatefuck it?
I'm a storyfag with 25 years of vidya under my belt and with the exception of Morrowind Bethesda has never been good at story.

But to each his own.

ind33d

Learned
at least half of the questlines in starfield are great, why does everyone want to hatefuck it?
I'm a storyfag with 25 years of vidya under my belt and with the exception of Morrowind Bethesda has never been good at story.

But to each his own.
The real problem with quest mods is that every Starfield character is fuck-huge overpowered, especially considering NG+. So adding a dungeon with a handful of Level 6 pirates isn't gonna cut it. Has anyone tried using mods to test mass combat? Maybe the engine can support 10+ enemies onscreen. Think the fight scenes in Attack of the Clones or Mount & Blade. A sci-fi M&B would be awesome

Yosharian

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
You are not going believe it but my computer mouse has built in cheats that require microtransactions. :-D :P
Good old China, I remember someone posting Chinese adverts for PCs which extolled how said machine would make cheating easier, faster, whatever.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

ind33d

Learned
now that creations are out, has anyone tried one of the quick start mods and starting a new character in the middle of some backwater shithole with all the survival mechanics enabled? that seems actually fun

Lemming42

Arcane
Wonder if there's a way to remove the chaff from this game with Creation Kit. Like, just delete any planet/system that has nothing in it, so the player is just presented with a list of actual worthwhile shit when they open the galaxy map*. And make it so that fast travel between those planets is instantaneous instead of having to go aboard the ship and have Sarah tell you she's enormously disappointed in you.

Remove all the empty shit so I can see where the actual content is, speed up the travel, and ideally gimme a log with all quests in the game so I can see what there is to do (something like this, and I'd genuinely play this again right now.

*(insert obvious joke here about how it'd be a blank map then, hardy hardy har)

ind33d

Learned
Todd + Hitler = Toddler

And because Bethesda games are made by Toddler they can only be appreciated by people on a toddlers intellectual level. Starfield isn't even a Childs game, it's for babies
The problem is the exact opposite. The Londinion Terrormorph mission is literally impossible on max difficulty because you die to elemental exposure before even fighting the enemies. SF was clearly intended to be a hardcore survival RPG with trigonometric astrogation like Traveller. Someone rebooted the game mid-development and cut all the mechanics

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I can't believe they put out a trailer just to highlight legally distinct funko pops.

1718426007036.png

Robotigan

Learned
It's only a single mission, but the free Tracker's Alliance quest is probably the best one in the entire game. Charitably, you could say Starjacker got a level of attention that wasn't afforded to individual missions in the base game and maybe the base game didn't use much Zero-G because it was a super late addition to the engine. Uncharitably, you might note that the base game's lead quest designer "left" the company to join a studio that immediately went kaput, and then his replacement delivered the best set piece in the entire game. You might also note that UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet upstaged the main quest as well. You might seriously consider if Will Shen isn't that good of a quest designer and Far Harbor's praise was more reactionary than an honest assessment of its design.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
why are people still hating on the game in this thread, like, get a life, or are you bored already playing helicopter dick in BG3?

a new era has dawned for starfield players so you can huff and puff as much as you want but the game is going to get exponentially better from here on out

this is the power of what I call the "open source development model of Bethesda games"

team work makes the dream work

Lemming42

Arcane
It's only a single mission, but the free Tracker's Alliance quest is probably the best one in the entire game. Charitably, you could say Starjacker got a level of attention that wasn't afforded to individual missions in the base game and maybe the base game didn't use much Zero-G because it was a super late addition to the engine. Uncharitably, you might note that the base game's lead quest designer "left" the company to join a studio that immediately went kaput, and then his replacement delivered the best set piece in the entire game. You might also note that UC Vanguard and Crimson Fleet upstaged the main quest as well. You might seriously consider if Will Shen isn't that good of a quest designer and Far Harbor's praise was more reactionary than an honest assessment of its design.
Who worked on which parts? I thought UC and Rangers were both good, Crimson Fleet was very good, and the corporation one was middling. Main quest sucked but that's par for the course with Bethesda (and it did at least have a couple of decent setpieces - I like the part where you're sneaking through the place in Neon and Issa is telling you where the guards and security systems are).

Yeah Far Harbor did suck though, never got the praise for it. I couldn't even finish it.

Vic

Savant
Every single quest line sucked. Some more, some less, doesn't really matter.
after taking some time off and comparing the quests in starfield with skyrim, oblivion or morrowind, I think that's fair. Starfield's quests really don't stand out to me. The quest I remember most vividly is getting coffee for a janitor in the subway, for some reason. I think Fallout 4 had the same issue, a bunch of bland/boring quests. They seem to struggle with writing that is not set in a fantasy setting.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's a big step up from Skyrim and Fo4, I think; pretty much all Skyrim's quests were boring as hell and I genuinely cannot remember any from Fo4. Starfield questlines meanwhile have some decent shootouts and setpieces, like the battle against the bug things in the freezing freight yard in the UC questline, or the final attack against the weird psycho veterans at the end of the Rangers quests, or the exploding ship near the end of CF. I thought the writing was serviceable too, interesting enough to put up with and unintrusive enough that it didn't get in the way. I liked the woman in the UC quests who was partly cloned from some past dickhead and the leaders of the pirate and anti-pirate fleets in the CF questline. Stuff like infiltrating the luxury liner to steal the whatever-it-was award and running the Red Mile were nice concepts too even if they didn't really come off.

Vic

Savant
Skyrim had some memorable quests with the Daedric lords, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, Civil war was interesting. Are there (civil) war quests in Starfield? Can't remember much lore besides the Terrormorph shenanigans.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't think so, you're allowed to join both the UC and Freestar Rangers simultaneously and nobody involved really cares. There might be a couple lines about it from NPCs. I guess it kinda works in that you're explicitly a freelancer in the UC questline (iirc, at least) and in the Rangers questline you're not much more than a glorified freelancer.

ind33d

Learned
Skyrim had some memorable quests with the Daedric lords, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, Civil war was interesting. Are there (civil) war quests in Starfield? Can't remember much lore besides the Terrormorph shenanigans.
Starfield really needs magic items to search for during endgame. Just have a Destiny exotic hidden on a few planets or something

Vic

Savant
I'm sorry but I can't take a game seriously where I can undress my party members completely and then go into dialogue with them as if that's normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom