Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Vic has temporarily been banned from this thread. I'm sorry you all had to witness this.

We (I) occasionally make decisions like this public in order to keep up the illusion of being in control of this place.

I also do that to stoke my very fragile ego.

Back to Starfield discussion.

Beastro

Arcane
why are gamers so entitled?

back in my day I was happy if my dad picked up a black and white cartridge for my gameboy on the fleamarket every sunday for me

now we get games likes Starfield, which you can easily pirate btw, and you are all crying like spoiled little bitches
Oh, shove it.

"Mods will fix it" has ended where it was sadly expected, the devs no longer care to produce polished products because so many customers are fixing their shit now.

You could whine about any other company and you might have a point, but you're in a Bethesda thread, Mods Will Fix It Inc.

you are talking about video games which are 1) a waste of time 2) a commercial product and 3) for fucking children

but sure go ahead and high brow this shit

even vanilla Starfield is more fun than watching gender neutral characters engaging in soulles american banter in between inter species sex scenes
The issue is the continued decline of verisimilitude of Bethesda games and how far it's gone. With FO3, Oblivion and Skyrim they tried to make some semblance of it, and so when it broke, it was entertaining to see the incongruity.

But here that verisimilitude isn't there. The game is lifeless, and so there's nothing much to violate. You can get a laugh messing with killing people and the companions, but once that's done, it's done.

It's too easy to peek behind the curtin and see there's nothing there, man.

Harthwain

Magister
I first misread the picture as IQ instead of hours, but it worked too.
I'm confused. Is any causation implied here? In which direction?
It's a meme. A joke. The suggestion is that the less/more you play, the better the game is. If you are an average player, it is the worst. The same goes for the IQ version of this meme (you are either "stupid enough" to enjoy it or "smart enough" to have fun with it).

ADL

Prophet
Not that anyone gives a shit about Starfield anymore but today's patch added DLSS/frame generation/FSR2 and provided a sizable performance uplift without upscaling.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
King Crispy don't rate me "No" that was a request to have my account deleted you little faggot. No wonder nobody likes you on this site. If you refuse to do so I'll change my password to some gibberish and never log in again so you can do with this account what you want.

I begged twice to have this shit tag removed. I have done nothing wrong but defend a game I like in the designated thread. For this I have been harassed by staff, which I assume is mainly you, you old cunt. I'm not here for your amusement so go and fuck yourself.
Stfu bethtard

Time to play some more starslop bitch.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
How does it compare to the mod
I asked PureDark (the guy who rather famously first came out with a framegen mod for Starfield) on his Discord server whether or not there would be any benefit to using his mod over Bethesda's official support of DLSS/FG and he indicated no. He reasons that there won't be any bugs associated with the official support of it such as the reports of problems entering/exiting the inventory screen or something like that when using his mod.

I personally never encountered any bugs with PureDark's mod, but there you go. The performance should be identical, I assume.

Edit: I also use his framegen mods for Skyrim (Wildlander) and BG3, both of which work flawlessly.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Big props to the king of dorks Angry Joe for giving this mediocre crap a 6/10. Dude gives 0 fucks and has earned my respect for not trying to bullshit people. Both EA and Bethesda have not managed to buy him for 10+years.

Narax

Educated
I just arrived in Constelation headquarters, so I'm pretty early in the game. I'll try to march on, but with such a rough start I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much deeper into this game.

If you value your time, you should listen to your instincts. It doesn't get better.
The beginning is a bit slow, and lacks the intriguing and intense aspects of the intros of oblivion, skyrim, and fallout, but i would suggest playing at least one faction questline before giving up on the game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The beginning is a bit slow, and lacks the intriguing and intense aspects of the intros of oblivion, skyrim, and fallout, but i would suggest playing at least one faction questline before giving up on the game.
Yes, I'm currently playing through the terrormorph questline and it's pretty fun. But of course it forces me to watch a ton of loading screens and do 1000 metres strolls on the surface of Mars, because Bethesda is too lazy to implement vehicles (to add insult to injury I had to make the walk twice to the same destination, because why the fuck no).

The horror segments are decent - Tau Ceti or the abandonned embassy. Looking forward to the rest of the questline and the Crimson Fleet one everyone is talking about.

So far I'm on level 13 and steadily advancing.

Narax

Educated
Looking forward to the rest of the questline and the Crimson Fleet one everyone is talking about.
There is a lot of space combat in the Crimson Fleet questline, and the difficulty spike between space combat and the rest of the game is quite apparent. I would advice levelling up your tech skills first, mainly Piloting, Starship Design, and Targeting, you'll need to invest at least one point in Targeting if you want to disable and board enemy ships. Skills that increase shields and weapon damage are useless because you will compensate for that by buying better ship parts. Some questlines will give you high level ships as a reward, mainly the Mantis and the Freestar Rangers, the latter of which is especially good for mid game.

Robotigan

Learned
because Bethesda is too lazy to implement vehicles
They mentioned they had issues with loading assets when the player was moving too fast in Skyrim. Could be the same problem here.
The sad thing is that 95% of the planet surface, the part you want to skip past, could probably handle it. It's just when players attempt to drive through populated areas that things get dicey.

Big props to the king of dorks Angry Joe for giving this mediocre crap a 6/10. Dude gives 0 fucks and has earned my respect for not trying to bullshit people. Both EA and Bethesda have not managed to buy him for 10+years.
you're repetitive guys.

fallout3_thumb_04-jpg.1255

Robotigan

Learned
why are gamers so entitled?

back in my day I was happy if my dad picked up a black and white cartridge for my gameboy on the fleamarket every sunday for me

now we get games likes Starfield, which you can easily pirate btw, and you are all crying like spoiled little bitches
Oh, shove it.

"Mods will fix it" has ended where it was sadly expected, the devs no longer care to produce polished products because so many customers are fixing their shit now.

You could whine about any other company and you might have a point, but you're in a Bethesda thread, Mods Will Fix It Inc.

you are talking about video games which are 1) a waste of time 2) a commercial product and 3) for fucking children

but sure go ahead and high brow this shit

even vanilla Starfield is more fun than watching gender neutral characters engaging in soulles american banter in between inter species sex scenes
The issue is the continued decline of verisimilitude of Bethesda games and how far it's gone. With FO3, Oblivion and Skyrim they tried to make some semblance of it, and so when it broke, it was entertaining to see the incongruity.

But here that verisimilitude isn't there. The game is lifeless, and so there's nothing much to violate. You can get a laugh messing with killing people and the companions, but once that's done, it's done.

It's too easy to peek behind the curtin and see there's nothing there, man.
This is more psychological than people want to admit. You see what you expect to see. Once you start looking, it's not hard to see through the facade of any game. Bethesda's reputation is such that a lot of very vocal content creators play their games with a high degree of skepticism so they wind up finding what they're looking for. Also let's be real 90% of what the contemporary gamer considers immersive comes down to mocap.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
you're repetitive guys.

fallout3_thumb_04-jpg.1255
Really dude? Getting something from 15+ years ago? That's all you got?
Compared to Starfield you can say that Fallout 3 is a good game. That's how garbage Starfield is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom