Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Lemming42

Arcane
Now that the dust has settled, the thing that interests me most about this game is the art style. Adam Adamowicz was Bethesda's secret weapon, it seems - Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim all had supremely strong art direction (yes, I know Oblivion is boring LotR ripoff high fantasy and an insult to the TES universe, but taken in isolation away from the other TES games, it had a nice 80s-style sword-and-sandal feel). After the tragic loss of Adamowicz, Fallout 4 looked like dogshit and Starfield has literally no art direction at all.

Like I've never seen this before - a game with no art direction. There is absolutely nothing tying any of it together. Cyberpunk, space western, solarpunk... except it's also meant to be the 1970s or something, with blocky computers and grim tobacco-stained stained beige walls everywhere? What the fuck's happening? We're using clunky-ass CRT monitors but we also have cheap plastic surgery that can make you 50 years younger? That washed out multicoloured stripe on the box art is weird as well, it deliberately invokes the likes of Logan's Run and Blake's 7, but again, the game's 70s influences are totally out of place with absolutely everything else.

They should have just bought an existing license that everyone's forgotten about and worked on that instead. Starflight would have worked, if the license is available - dinosaurs and sentient plants!

Space 1889 is absolutely ideal too:
Running around shooting shit in an identity-less hodgepodge made by outsourced Indian workers and visiting a boring solarpunk city = ehhh
Running around shooting shit as a classy gentleman/gentlewoman accompanied by men with big mustaches and women with fancy hair and visiting Mars to meet the Martian princesses = yes yes yes

I firmly believe that this game would have been warmly received if it had simply looked different. The procedural generation gimmick is a non-starter and sucks balls, but the quests, dungeons, game mechanics, and combat encounters that do exist are all decent enough to make for a solid game - it just needed to have the style and aesthetics and backstory to draw players in, and it fails unbelievably hard on all of those aspects.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
the quests, dungeons, game mechanics, and combat encounters that do exist are all decent enough to make for a solid game - it just needed to have the style and aesthetics and backstory
No no no. MAYBE in 200x or something, but not now. Starfield is too bad on pretty much all aspects compared to any decent game of late.

Lemming42

Arcane
My point is that they've gotten away with worse - look how dire the combat mechanics were in MW, Oblivion, Fo3, and Skyrim. They all had worse combat gameplay than other games at the time they were released. The TES games have some of the worst quest design too, ultra-linear and often conceptually very boring, and yet the series has enjoyed massive success based mostly on the strength of the setting.

Fo4 was technically a step up from Fo3 and NV in terms of combat mechanics, and yet was received quite badly by many players because the world, like Starfield's, had no coherence or soul to it. Bethesda don't seem to realise what made their games popular for a brief period, which is a strong sense of place and the ability to just walk around in a world that looks and sounds nice.

I'm not mounting an enthusiastic defence of the game, I'm just suggesting that they'd have gotten away with a lot of its failings and mediocrity if they'd come up with a decent setting, because that's what their previous games have sold well on. So it's absolutely baffling that they put so little effort into that aspect this time around. It's like they didn't have anyone in charge of art direction at all and just used random conflicting assets.

Law

Literate
Bethestard
Morrowind vibes...

rms2htdb4m2c1.png

ahh I guess I shouldn't troll you guys too hard or I'll get a stupid tag again, it's hard sometimes

Law

Literate
Bethestard
Yeah dude you totally trolled us by... consuming the worst goyslop of the past decade
Spoken like a true AAA 'tard.

Kid, many of the games I've played in the past decade were a lot worse than Starfield. All I see is butthurt Morrowind fanboys that their precious Bethesda didn't make another game on the same "grand scale".

Yet, Looking at the picture above, it's just another new generation of console 'tards.

Same cycle, new 'tards.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah dude you totally trolled us by... consuming the worst goyslop of the past decade
Spoken like a true AAA 'tard.

Kid, many of the games I've played in the past decade were a lot worse than Starfield. All I see is butthurt Morrowind fanboys that their precious Bethesda didn't make another game on the same "grand scale".

Yet, Looking at the picture above, it's just another new generation of console 'tards.

Same cycle, new 'tards.
Damn man, why would you do that to yourself?!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It would be impressive if they managed to make just 1 planet, inspired by Earth's geography, fauna, flora, landmass, water bodies, populated areas and less populated areas, with NPC schedules, no loading screens, entire continents, oceans, seas, lakes, mountains etc. Cities being actual living cities, each NPC and vehicle whatever being just a small cog in a machine functioning without your presence or interference. And so much more.
But nah brah......1000 planets is where it's at.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fo4 was technically a step up from Fo3 and NV in terms of combat mechanics

Are you crazy? Was a huge step back. Armor by percentage is awful. In fnv a 45 acp smg will tear apart unarmored targets but be worthless vs power armor while an .308 ap round in a rifle or a .50 bmg ap will be much better vs armor. In fl4, the smg would be the best vs anything.

The guns look like toys. I enjoy immersion in fp games and bugthesda is no longer delivering it

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
P. good is not the same as "supremely strong". When I walk in to (unmodded) Windhelm, for example, the last thing I'm thinking is, "Man, this game's art direction is superb!"

Even heavily modded most of the game other than portions of the wilderness look the same as one another and are generally uninspiring. I'd even go so far to say that, strictly from an "art direction" standpoint, Oblivion was done better than Skyrim was.

Ryzer

Arcane
I'd even go so far to say that, strictly from an "art direction" standpoint, Oblivion was done better than Skyrim was.
Not even close
787px-SR-concept-6877524733.jpg

527px-SR-concept-6877480531.jpg

800px-SR-concept-Snake_Mural.jpg

It's just that the game does a terrible job at transcribing the art direction. Oblivion in comparison is just bland Disneyland art. In Skyrim there is a strong mythological vibe added to the nordic tombs similar to what Morrowind did, even the cities look uncanny.

Shaki

Arbiter
Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim all had supremely strong art direction
:what:
It's true tho, art direction used to be decent in Bethesda. I wouldn't call it "supremely strong", but it was good enough, it was immersive and along with decent worldbuilding and exploration, even if their games were a slop, it was at least well seasoned slop that could be judged as edible if you were really hungry. I had some mindless fun with them occasionally.

Starfield on the other hand, literally lacks everything decent previous Bethesda titles had. Art direction is non-existent, worldbuilding is complete garbage, exploration is dead. Then on top of it, the whole thing is so sanitised, so PG-13, that it makes me want to puke. Even absolutely cliche things that always work simply because they're inherently entertaining concepts, like working for space pirates, or visiting a classic "hive of scum and villainy" type of city, feel absolutely disgusting here, because even these braindead foolproof concepts, are pushed through a kiddie filter and made as bland as possible.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Starfield on the other hand, literally lacks everything decent previous Bethesda titles had.
There are sections of Starfield that have impressed upon me some thought towards being "artistic". Neon City, for example, almost evokes a better cyberpunk atmosphere than even Night City in Cyberpunk 2077 does. Akila is also rather convincing, imo, as a frontier-type town.

However, I've had to modify the game somewhat to get it to where it pleases my eye. That has included texture replacers and, most importantly, a LUT replacer.

Shaki

Arbiter
Starfield on the other hand, literally lacks everything decent previous Bethesda titles had.
There are sections of Starfield that have impressed upon me some thought towards being "artistic". Neon City, for example, almost evokes a better cyberpunk atmosphere than even Night City in Cyberpunk 2077 does.
You're joking, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom