Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

sosmoflux

Educated
It's crazy how dead this thread is already

GentlemanCthulhu

Liturgist
I'm a huge bethesda fan but even i haven't played this game. i just don't care for a space exploration game and as far as those go Starfield doesn't seem that special.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I really don't get the quest design in this game. If you have an engine with irritating constant loading screens (especially during space travel) quests should be designed in ways to mitigate that. So, longer quests on 1 planet, like in KOTOR or Mass Effect.

Instead every quest in Starfield looks like this: go to planet X to speak with a guy, then travel to space station Y in another system to grab an item (inclusing two unskippable docking cutscenes), then go to a moon Z in yet another system to give the item to yet another guy, maybe shoot some spacers on the way, so that you don't die of boredom already, then return to New Atlantis for a reward.

It's like the quest designers were actually trolling the players to waste time on constant loading screens, showing off all the weaknesses of the game.

Also, you've got a city like Neon. I can understand, given the archaic engine, that the three main neighbourhoods of Neon are separate cells that need loading screen on traversal by lifts. But why is almost every individual shop in the Core a cell of its own, requiring a short, yet irritating loading screen? The Core is not even that big and the shops are tiny, two rooms at best. If Trade Authority can be located within the Core cell, why can't places like general store, liquer store or medical clinic?

Previous Bethesda games also suffered from this, but they at least had one large 'outside world' cell, where you could spend a lot of time without a single load screen. Starfield doesn't even have that, despite the fact a dozen years passed since the last Elder Scrolls release.

jackofshadows

Magister
Also, you've got a city like Neon. I can understand, given the archaic engine, that the three main neighbourhoods of Neon are separate cells that need loading screen on traversal by lifts. But why is almost every individual shop in the Core a cell of its own, requiring a short, yet irritating loading screen? The Core is not even that big and the shops are tiny, two rooms at best.
Xuybox optimization I imagine.

Agree regarding the quest design but the aswer is they clearly just didn't care. It's an extremely corporate, check list conceived, detached from reality product. So often I'd thought while playing: there's no way this was actually playtested.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also, you've got a city like Neon. I can understand, given the archaic engine, that the three main neighbourhoods of Neon are separate cells that need loading screen on traversal by lifts. But why is almost every individual shop in the Core a cell of its own, requiring a short, yet irritating loading screen? The Core is not even that big and the shops are tiny, two rooms at best.
Xuybox optimization I imagine.
xBox can handle both the entire world of Witcher 3 and AC: Odyssey. Literally dozens of square kms of lands and cities, without a single loading screen.

I'm sure it could handle Neon Core with all the shops included.
Agree regarding the quest design but the aswer is they clearly just didn't care. It's an extremely corporate, check list conceived, detached from reality product. So often I'd thought while playing: there's no way this was actually playtested.
True, there's no emotion in this. Yesterday I started a romance with Andreja. Her declaration of love was so flat and apathetic I could not believe my ears. It sounded like a parody of games with romances. Fucking erotic visual novels have better voice acting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's crazy how dead this thread is already
Even bashing of the game is dead :D
I got the game for free when I bought a new mouse so I was actually planning to play it and then shit on it with others on Codex.

Seems tho nobody is even interested in that anymore. Sad.
I'm playing it, dunno why exactly. Skipping the exploration of all the randomly generated planets and doing all the radiant quests, focusing just on the handcrafted content of the main quest and the faction questlines. But it's still not very good and quite repetitive. Shooting and space combat can be fun, but that's about it. It's quite obvious people making this didn't have much enjoyment either. It feels like somebody's homework.

jackofshadows

Magister
xBox can handle both the entire world of Witcher 3 and AC: Odyssey. Literally dozens of square kms of lands and cities, without a single loading screen.
Obviously it's not that simple. We need some engine guy to sort this out but as far as I'm concerned, tech limitations should be considered only in the engine context. I'm sure even retards at Bethpizda wouldn't do such awkward separation of shops and inconsistently at that (like with your example with trade authority on Neon) if they hadn't to.
True, there's no emotion in this. Yesterday I started a romance with Andreja. Her declaration of love was so flat and apathetic I could not believe my ears. It sounded like a parody of games with romances. Fucking erotic visual novels have better voice acting.
Yeah it's definitely perceived as a parody to me also. And I don't think that's a fault of the actress, the material is just too abysmal. They couldn't muster even the slightest edge for Andreja so while on the surface she's suppose to be dark and misterious, in practice she's actually bland and without any moral ambiguity because of fucking course. Anyway, instead of coldness (with potential contrast) or much less sinister manner she sounds flat and unemotional. And it's all carried over to romance. It's like they couldn't even decide what to do with such a character given the corpo limitations. In the end, Andreja doesn't make a lot of sense.

Gargaune

Arcane
I really don't get the quest design in this game. If you have an engine with irritating constant loading screens (especially during space travel) quests should be designed in ways to mitigate that. So, longer quests on 1 planet, like in KOTOR or Mass Effect.

Instead every quest in Starfield looks like this: go to planet X to speak with a guy, then travel to space station Y in another system to grab an item (inclusing two unskippable docking cutscenes), then go to a moon Z in yet another system to give the item to yet another guy, maybe shoot some spacers on the way, so that you don't die of boredom already, then return to New Atlantis for a reward.

It's like the quest designers were actually trolling the players to waste time on constant loading screens, showing off all the weaknesses of the game.
That's the typical Bethesda formula, quests are deliberately designed to (manually or randomly) send you to a variety of far-off locations to push you into exploring the open world. But what works in a contiguous worldspace like Skyrim or the Commonwealth won't fly in fragmented game space that requires fast travel transitions, and things get even worse if you've got to further break up locations due to - presumably - AI or performance optimisations.

TW3 (and its Ubisoft "homages") have a lot less going on in their worldspaces in terms of AI states, object persistence/cell refresh etc. This has been discussed in detail before, either in this thread or the Fo4 one, I forget. The core problem isn't "why can't Bethesda's engine do what CDPR's does?", because it does a lot more different things, but rather that Bethesda's engine was purposefully iterated on over literal decades to support a very particular kind of game experience and they screwed the pooch by trying to use it for something quite structurally different without appropriately accounting for the design's technical requirements.

TL;DR: Todd Inc. should stick to giving us more Skyrims and Bethesdouts. It's what they know, it's what they have the tools for, and it's what their fans expect from them.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

That's the typical Bethesda formula, quests are deliberately designed to (manually or randomly) send you to a variety of far-off locations to push you into exploring the open world. But what works in a contiguous worldspace like Skyrim or the Commonwealth won't fly in fragmented game space that requires fast travel transitions, and things get even worse if you've got to further break up locations due to - presumably - AI or performance optimisations.

TW3 (and its Ubisoft "homages") have a lot less going on in their worldspaces in terms of AI states, object persistence/cell refresh etc. This has been discussed in detail before, either in this thread or the Fo4 one, I forget. The core problem isn't "why can't Bethesda's engine do what CDPR's does?", because it does a lot more different things,
What exactly? I didn't see any advanced NPC routines in Starfield, that were so developed in Oblivion. Shops don't even close at night and while some people rest in beds after work (for example some miners in Cydonia), they're in minority.
but rather that Bethesda's engine was purposefully iterated on over literal decades to support a very particular kind of game experience and they screwed the pooch by trying to use it for something quite structurally different without appropriately accounting for the design's technical requirements.
True, but Bethesda engine was able to generate an entire overworld in a single cell with advanced geometry since the times of Oblivion (Morrowind too, but there it was obscured by fogs to save cpu/gpu power). It boggles my mind why they could not place the main street of Neon in a single cell, and placed shops in separate cells.
TL;DR: Todd Inc. should stick to giving us more Skyrims and Bethesdouts. It's what they know, it's what they have the tools for, and it's what their fans expect from them.
True, but you know, sometimes you want to do something else. And Starfield could still work in Creation engine, but done differently:
1. Fewer planets, but each handcrafted, with entire questlines placed on their surfaces, with as few loading screens as possible.
2. Quest design that plays to the strengths of the engine, without presenting its obsolescence too often.
3. Each planetary system being a single 'overworld cell' so that you can actually fly between planets and only need to see load screens while using your grav drive or landing on the surface.
4. Docking to space stations ingame, not via a load screen, perhaps requiring some piloting prowess.

And of course better story, worldbuilding and characters. If they can't pull it off with their core team (obviously), hire Chris Avellone, Robert Kurvitz or some of the screenwriters from CDPR, ffs.

jackofshadows

Magister
True, but you know, sometimes you want to do something else. And Starfield could still work in Creation engine, but done differently:
1. Fewer planets, but each handcrafted, with entire questlines placed on their surfaces, with as few loading screens as possible.
2. Quest design that plays to the strengths of the engine, without presenting its obsolescence too often.
3. Each planetary system being a single 'overworld cell' so that you can actually fly between planets and only need to see load screens while using your grav drive or landing on the surface.
4. Docking to space stations ingame, not via a load screen, perhaps requiring some piloting prowess.
They had this kang is naked problem when the corporats were too fixated on the idea of proc generated > endless content > metrics go up. While in reality that wouldn't be fun to engage with said content to anyone well, except for likes of Vic apparently. It's like they've done all the handcrafted content "just in case", honestly. If all the effort that went into new generation of radiant quests, generic planets and dungeons was rerouted into something handcrafted the end product would be at least somewhat better but like I said, their heads were too deep inside their own arseholes to recognize that. And something tells me even the lukeworm at best reception they will chalk up on some bullshit reasons as the wrong release window, tech issues or something else entirely.

Gargaune

Arcane
What exactly? I didn't see any advanced NPC routines in Starfield, that were so developed in Oblivion. Shops don't even close at night and while some people rest in beds after work (for example some miners in Cydonia), they're in minority.
So I hear (ain't played it yet), but just because they've opted not to use those features this time around doesn't change that the entire engine architecture is built to support all that functionality. Why they chose to forego some of their more interesting features is a different question, and "lol fuck it, they'll buy it anyway" is a strong suspect.

True, but Bethesda engine was able to generate an entire overworld in a single cell with advanced geometry since the times of Oblivion (Morrowind too, but there it was obscured by fogs to save cpu/gpu power). It boggles my mind why they could not place the main street of Neon in a single cell, and placed shops in separate cells.
Like jackofshadows said, there's gotta be a technical rationale behind it, they wouldn't have done it just for the fuck of it. Sight-unseen, I'd assume it's optimising for consoles and older hardware as much as possible. It's already a long tradition in the videogaming industry that hardware development tends to immediately get gobbled up by ever-fancier graphics, with gameplay features fighting each other for leftover scraps of computing power.

If, for instance, Neon's sucking up a lot of CPU cycles to keep up with the GPU and for ambient NPCs (AI is notoriously CPU-hungry), they might've had to chop it up into smaller bits. Think back to how Skyrim's larger cities were segregated in their own separate cells - we know that the engine could've handled them in the core worldspace just fine, mods proved it, but addressing the common hardware denominator among the customer base at the time meant splitting them off.

I don't think we're in disagreement here because what you want is essentially a bunch of smaller Skyrims in space. And yeah, that would've worked great but, for whatever reason, Todd decided to go in a different direction and the new designs spilled over what Gamebryo was developed to properly support.

Plus there's a bunch of genuinely gratuitous mistakes that make everything worse - go to planet X to collect a space bear's ass, deliver it to planet Y's space station and then collect your payment from moon Z would've flowed much nicer if traveling between these locations involved some proper freeflight gameplay, analogue to traveling between Whiterun and Riften, instead of clicking through a bunch of fast travel loading screens. That one has no technical excuse, but it goes back to my earlier suspicion of "lol fuck it, they'll buy it anyway."

And of course better story, worldbuilding and characters.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Far Harbor proves that Bethesda can write a half-decent plot and Nuka World proves that they don't want to.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

TW3 (and its Ubisoft "homages") have a lot less going on in their worldspaces in terms of AI states, object persistence/cell refresh etc. This has been discussed in detail before, either in this thread or the Fo4 one, I forget. The core problem isn't "why can't Bethesda's engine do what CDPR's does?", because it does a lot more different things, but rather that Bethesda's engine was purposefully iterated on over literal decades to support a very particular kind of game experience and they screwed the pooch by trying to use it for something quite structurally different without appropriately accounting for the design's technical requirements.

Cope.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
404960588_887255782962666_4877035552374002413_n.jpg

Law

Literate
Bethestard
The Vic Saga will continue once there is some new content either in the form of good mods or DLC. Game right now is like a canvas screaming to be filled in. Will modders get the proper tools to make it fun? Who knows. At least it looks like the desire is there as there are already 6k mods on the nexus even before the release of proper modding tools.

Bulo

Scholar
There is no combination of mods that can turn Skyrim into a good game, and Starfield won't be nearly as popular in the modding scene; it doesn't stand a chance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom