Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards​

m5h0op9y60r61.png

Ryzer

Arcane
Game devs arguing with reviews is like fat girls declaring themselves hot. No one is fooled and it only makes them look ugly and stupid.
Better answer to negative reviews like Cleve does.
Git gud

UPDATE : This marvelous snowflake has now been playing the game for 152+ hours and actively participating in the forums as well as providing demands for revisions and giving feedback on the RPG system he would like changed. He has been playing this game ten times longer than the average game on Steam and will probably continue to play it well into the future. He insists the game doesn't deserve a good review.

Vic

Savant
Game devs arguing with reviews is like fat girls declaring themselves hot. No one is fooled and it only makes them look ugly and stupid.
Git gud

UPDATE : This marvelous snowflake has now been playing the game for 152+ hours and actively participating in the forums as well as providing demands for revisions and giving feedback on the RPG system he would like changed. He has been playing this game ten times longer than the average game on Steam and will probably continue to play it well into the future. He insists the game doesn't deserve a good review.
fits

Ravielsk

Magister
Looks like all the stuff people bitch about is kinda baked in at the very foundation, so no amount of 'mods will fix it' can unfuck this mess.
I mean that has been the case ever since Skyrim. Oblivion and Fallout 3 could be fixed with mods(or in the case of FO3 via FNV) because the underlying systems to do it were mostly present and accounted for. From Skyrim onwards it becomes impossible because you would essentially have to mod in entire mechanics(like NPC disposition for example) and redo from scratch what is there(Skyrim's magic system). Which is both stupidly time consuming and not even entirely possible with just the construction set so nobody bothers.

On top of that mechanics are only half the problem. You could turn FO4 into the most mechanically complex RPG but without straight up gutting about 80% of the quests it would still be an absolutely dreadful experience. Starfield has this exact same problem, expect Bethesda no longer has the good will or armies of fanboys to cover for it so for once the stink of their bullshit is reaching everyone's nostrils.

The only way to unfuck Starfield or Skyrim or Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 is to just hand over the whole thing to a different studio and have it produce New Vegas versions of those games.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The only way to unfuck Starfield or Skyrim or Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 is to just...
...accept them for what they are: nearly mindless walking sims in various settings. Nothing more.

Modding the crap out of them is almost a hobby in itself; that deserves mentioning, at least.

Yoomazir

Educated
The only way to unfuck Starfield or Skyrim or Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 is to just...
...accept them for what they are: nearly mindless walking sims in various settings. Nothing more.

Modding the crap out of them is almost a hobby in itself; that deserves mentioning, at least.
But that's not how Bethesda present them to us, afaik. So no, I won't "accept" them if I've been lied to.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
]

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that mods cannot fix the amount of stupid in Bethesda games.

You can spend days looking up mods and 200gb of hard drive space. It doesn't matter.

Because in the end, you're still going to go to the "college" in Winterhold for the idiotic mages guild questline. You're still going to infinitely facepalm through Emil's overhyped Dork Brotherhood hack writing. You're still going to have to deal with either level scaling, or some autist's vision of a "fun" replacement where arrows are suddenly insta-death railguns and every battle turns into a poorly-designed, Dark Souls-wannabe HP bloat slog for no reason and you still end up an OP jack of all trades in the end.

Boot up an actually decent CRPG and play that instead. Save yourself the trouble and maybe bump up your IQ a few points instead of letting Todd give you brain damage.

And if you like Bethesda that much, Daggerfall may look like Duke Nukem's fat, retarded cousin, but at least you won't roll your eyes every five minutes at every aspect of the game. And at least Morrowind has some interesting art to stare at while the cliff racers peck at you.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

lycanwarrior

Scholar
]

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that mods cannot fix the amount of stupid in Bethesda games.

You can spend days looking up mods and 200gb of hard drive space. It doesn't matter.

Because in the end, you're still going to go to the "college" in Winterhold for the idiotic mages guild questline. You're still going to infinitely facepalm through Emil's overhyped Dork Brotherhood hack writing. You're still going to have to deal with either level scaling, or some autist's vision of a "fun" replacement where arrows are suddenly insta-death railguns and every battle turns into a poorly-designed, Dark Souls-wannabe HP bloat slog for no reason and you still end up an OP jack of all trades in the end.

Boot up an actually decent CRPG and play that instead. Save yourself the trouble and maybe bump up your IQ a few points instead of letting Todd give you brain damage.

And if you like Bethesda that much, Daggerfall may look like Duke Nukem's fat, retarded cousin, but at least you won't roll your eyes every five minutes at every aspect of the game. And at least Morrowind has some interesting art to stare at while the cliff racers peck at you.
Daggerfall was still the best one in the Elder Scrolls series IMHO of course.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Bethesda are individually rebutting Starfield Steam reviewers, defending the loading breaks and "empty" worlds​

Bethesda's heaping plateful of space-spaghetti Starfield presently rejoices in the status of a Mixed Steam user review rating, with over 80,000 such reviews posted to date. Bethesda High Command are clearly displeased with this, and several unnamed but platform-verified developers have begun replying to and rebutting individual Steam reviewers, giving apparent priority to complaints about the game's loading breaks during fast travel and when moving between maps.

"While there may be loading screens in between fast travelling, just consider the amount of data for the expansive gameplay that is procedurally generated to load flawlessly in under 3 seconds," reads one such reply (thanks to Eurogamer for passing this on, and to Juicehead for the original spot). "We believe that shortcoming will not hinder our players from getting lost in the world we created."

The post also reacts to the criticism that Starfield gets pretty samey by calling attention to how the experience may vary, depending on your progression and dialogue choices. It exhorts the reviewer to try rolling different characters with different specs. "You will feel like you are playing a totally different game," the post suggests, adding that "there are so many layers to Starfield, that you will find things you've never knew were possible after playing for hundreds of hours." Let's not forget those endgame options either. "Even after completing the Main Story, your adventure doesn't end! You can continue onto New Game+ to keep exploring Starfield and all that is out there!"

Another developer response sets out to address "frustration with fast travel making the universe feel much smaller", in what could almost be a reference to Alice B's Starfield review headline. (I'm sure we're just flattering ourselves.)

"Given the immense size of Starfield, we felt it made more sense to be able to use your Grav Drive to jump to other solar systems," it reads. "The option to fly freely among planets is still there, and you can travel from one planet to another and land without needing to open your map if you use your scanner.

"However, for an expedition like solar system traversal, jumping is necessary. Remember that fast travel also has its perks as you can do so quickly when trying to complete quests and will always be given visual of your ship launching and landing, thus being able to appreciate all the little details that make your customized ship look unique."

This particular dev comment also reiterates Bethesda managing director Ashley Cheng's argument prior to Starfield's release that the game's abundance of quest- and building-less planets is designed to create a sense of "overwhelming" vastness and make you "feel small".

"We are sorry that you do not like landing on different planets and are finding many of them empty," it reads. "The intention of Starfield's exploration is to evoke a feeling of smallness in players and make you feel overwhelmed. You can continue to explore and find worlds that do have resources you need or hidden outposts to look through."

This latter post also tries to defend the game's NPCs against the accusation of being "dead-eyed" and "boring", arguing that "to keep Starfield as dynamic as possible, NPCs are not fully scripted so weirdness can ensue sometimes. The goal is to make believable characters on the screen with realistic reactions to your character." Last but not least, it urges the player in question to get off the critical path. "If you feel that things are getting boring, there is so much more to do than just the main mission!" In conclusion: "Never stop exploring!"

There are quite a lot of these developer responses, some posted as recently as yesterday. Many are copy-and-pasted. I get the impression the customer service teams have basically been told to look busy. It isn't making much difference to Starfield's fortunes: at the time of writing, the game has once again fallen behind its indefatigable ancestor Skyrim in the daily Steam player charts. Many of the reviews Bethesda are trying to debate consist of a single sentence. One just reads "Midfield".

Do you know what, though - I sympathise a bit with the defence of empty planets, albeit for different reasons than those given above. In a game otherwise defined by lashings of loot and bricabrac, there's something quite cathartic about heading off into the wilds of an uncharted world and finding no Content to feast on.

It's the first thing I did on the very first planet you visit during the intro - which I think is otherwise one of the least compelling intros I've ever sat through - and I found it transformative. No loot or quest markers to worry about: just the changing texture and sound of the procedural terrain underfoot, random pockets of wildlife I could study from afar, a range of porous rock formations and plenty of hills to climb, with nothing to see on the other side but another valleyful of dust and entropy.

What I am essentially saying is: perhaps the planetary exploration aspect of this game is more enjoyable if you play against type and treat it like a walking simulator? I think there's a lot of artistry to the game's setting that vanishes in practice because you're not sufficiently encouraged to perceive it, and no, I'm not just talking about taking photographs of especially glossy objects and obvious setpieces like planets orbiting overhead. Mind you, if an astral walking sim is what you're after, you're probably better off with Orchids to Dusk or The Anglerfish Project, to pick a few.
Source

Lmao
It's rayciss to hate Starfield...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's even better than dicking around with Starfield and trying to LARP it into a good game is playing a walking simulator if you want a walking simulator and playing a space game if you want to play a space game. There are way better examples of either.

What sucks is, I still think Starfield's skill and progression systems are an improvement over TES's. Hopefully they won't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I still think Starfield's skill and progression systems are an improvement over TES's.
TES has changed its progression system literally every entry. TES6 is probably going to use deck-building mechanics because Emil just played Slay the Spire.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still think Starfield's skill and progression systems are an improvement over TES's.
TES has changed its progression system literally every entry. TES6 is probably going to use deck-building mechanics because Emil just played Slay the Spire.

This would also be an improvement over the TES system(s) of progression.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I got bored of the game and uninstalled it. Oblivion and Morrowind plays better than Starfield.

If anyone is interested, Hazeron Starship just got an official release date for this Friday, Dec 1 on Steam. My personal favorite space game ever and I made a post about some of the amazing features. Graphics aside, it blows Starfield out of the water imo.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/hazeron-starship-a-seamless-space-sandbox-universe.148963/

Looks like a Quake 2 OpenBSD mod.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Git gud

152+ hours? Must have been a review from an otter a Codexer:

du6MRvi.png

PlayerEmers

Educated
Looks like all the stuff people bitch about is kinda baked in at the very foundation, so no amount of 'mods will fix it' can unfuck this mess.
yep
there might be a mod or two in 10 years that COULD add something interesting or change game systems in a nice way, but nothing major.

just imagine someone adding vehicles as a mod... thats nice and all but the exploration would still suck major cock: you could drive space cars on the planets, find absolutely nothing interesting and hit the map boundaries in one minute (instead of wasting 22 minutes walking) :lol:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I got bored of the game and uninstalled it. Oblivion and Morrowind plays better than Starfield.

If anyone is interested, Hazeron Starship just got an official release date for this Friday, Dec 1 on Steam. My personal favorite space game ever and I made a post about some of the amazing features. Graphics aside, it blows Starfield out of the water imo.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/hazeron-starship-a-seamless-space-sandbox-universe.148963/

1701220086260.jpeg

bro…

Vic

Savant

View attachment 44036

bro…

ss_5c76080ed47534ca5c03a0a4a21334ba75b8a8fb.1920x1080.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom