Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is a drug except it's the Disney version of a drug. You don't see junkies. They tell you it's bad but don't tell why or why people use it. It's also illegal except in some places where it's totally fine and absolutely not a big deal.

Even Skooma did it better.

Yosharian

Arcane
This shows how Bethesda can't do shit that hasn't already been done for them

Fallout already had chems and stuff so they managed to do chem storylines semi-competently in Fallout 4 (e.g. Cait)

Give them a new IP and they shit the bed

PlayerEmers

Educated

Fallout already had chems and stuff so they managed to do chem storylines semi-competently in Fallout 4 (e.g. Cait)

They also rely too much on fantasy and/or absurdity. The "nasapunk" bullshit they attempted is a painfully bland grounded setting with no fantasy or weirdness like their previous games. Without those things, they have nothing to hook players except Bethesda writing and gameplay lol

i wish the game was based on shit like the Jetsons
it would not fix all the problems on the game, but it would be a HUGE improvement compared to boring "nasapunk" shit

image.png

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
a painfully bland grounded setting with no fantasy or weirdness like their previous games. Without those things, they have nothing to hook players except Bethesda writing and gameplay lol
ummmmm

gameplay is the main thing of games, you know

a game does not need story or setting to be fun to play

starfield has neither and it's still fun to play

morrowind has giant mushrooms and it's not fun to play

catch my drift?

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
gameplay is the main thing of games
this is all that matters
devoid of manuals, many games from the 80s to early 90s had very little story within them, often no more than two sentences that said you were X doing Y, and many of the games are lauded. ultima 4 is an outlier, but not by much as most of the info dump you need for why you're playing comes from lord bastard and it's more of a list of shit to do, not really much of a tale there.
u4dump.png

these two lines and that list of things-to-do do not constitute a story.

u4dump2.png

but i still love that damn game even if by the thirtieth hour the combat is a little stale.

does starfield even have a story? in everything i've seen and read, that's something that's not been talked much about. i can only imagine that the combat is pretty 'meh' as well. it is bethesda after all.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
ummmmm

And where's that cool gameplay in Starfield? Shooting is merely okay, competent but worse than in Cyberpunk 2077. Melee combat is simply terrible, despite advancing relevant skills you don't even get new attack patterns.

Space combat? Pretty basic. You can't really make advanced maneuvers or fool enemy missiles with decoys, just have to eat them and hope that your shields save the day. Usually the stronger ship wins and that's about it when it comes to space tactics.

Exploration? Loading screen simulator or endless walk through randomly generated flatlands.

Quests? With the exception of several faction questlines (mostly United Colonies and Crimson Fleet) they are quite boring fetch quests with a structure that exacerbares all the problems with the game's structure.

Or perhaps by gameplay you mean building settlements with mechanics inferior to Fallout 4?
True, but Starfield isn't this kind of game.

Great setting elevated Morrowind, greatly improving exploration and immersion. Nothing similar happens here.
Barely.
ok, now I see the problem.
catch my drift?
Yes - you really want to tell us "I have no taste" without using those exact words.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
ummmmm

And where's that cool gameplay in Starfield? Shooting is merely okay, competent but worse than in Cyberpunk 2077. Melee combat is simply terrible, despite advancing relevant skills you don't even get new attack patterns.

Space combat? Pretty basic. You can't really make advanced maneuvers or fool enemy missiles with decoys, just have to eat them and hope that your shields save the day. Usually the stronger ship wins and that's about it when it comes to space tactics.

Exploration? Loading screen simulator or endless walk through randomly generated flatlands.

Quests? With the exception of several faction questlines (mostly United Colonies and Crimson Fleet) they are quite boring fetch quests with a structure that exacerbares all the problems with the game's structure.

Or perhaps by gameplay you mean building settlements with mechanics inferior to Fallout 4?

Great setting elevated Morrowind, greatly improving exploration and immersion. Nothing similar happens here.
Barely.
ok, now I see the problem.
catch my drift?
Yes - you really want to tell us "I have no taste" without using those exact words.
is it even worth trying if i already have the gamepass since it's already on there? i feel like it's not even worth the time it'll take to download lol

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Didn't play starfield but if world is like in skyrim then a requiem mod is needed.
-delevel enemies
-make combat more deadly
-greatly increase skills trees and variety
-overhaul loot so there's starker contrast between everyday item and valuables
-make good loot drop at the end of dungeon/location, from high level enemies and boss chests/containers
-overhaul enemy skills and roles
-overhaul their ai so they react quicker and better
-lock upgrades and items behind harder enemies, overhaul the progression so you can't get endgame weapons from day 1 without clever tactics
-remove crafting grind like requiem 3tweaks
-level up through experience instead of doing something

This is only about fixing gameplay issues, whereas story and worldbuilding is still shit. There are autism modders who work on ai voice acting and quests though and overhauling a map is also not a stretch for them, so maybe someone could make an enjoyable version of starfield in future. Slap a mod that remove mystery meat npcs and you could get a game that is 2 scores higher in 0-10 rating system.

PlayerEmers

Educated
does starfield even have a story?
From the 50+ hours i wasted on this game, the only thing close to a worth while story was the colony wars, but I barely could find more info about those wars.
It baffles me that Bethesda thought it was a good ideia to set the game timeline to start AFTER a huge war between space colonies and make the main quest about fetching multiverse floating rocks.

Lemming42

Arcane
There's rare flashes of something interesting going on in Starfield but it tends to be buried under the sheer landslide of dullness. I liked the clone soldier from the United Colonies questline but the whole thing sort of sizzles out, same for the angry war veterans from the Ranger questline.

Vic

Savant
And where's that cool gameplay in Starfield?
the cool gameplay is hunting for the best loot, I can't remember the exact details but it was really hard to get the best weapon and armor prefixes, so you had to run through a LOT of dungeons to get them, in this case it helps that all dungeons are samey so you can quickly get to the chest

Another thing is the walking sim aspect. Moons usually had a great view and atmosphere (aesthetically) so just walking around on those planets was chill and something I hadn't experienced before.

If you get a rifle and fly to a spot with many aliens (and get disable combat music mod) you can just play it like a hunting sim.

With mods all of these aspects can be enhanced, as in themselves they are leaving a lot to be desired, but it is certainly fun for the first couple hundred hours.

That's true, Starfield is more sandbox and "make your own fun" than previous Bethesda titles.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
And where's that cool gameplay in Starfield?
the cool gameplay is hunting for the best loot, I can't remember the exact details but it was really hard to get the best weapon and armor prefixes, so you had to run through a LOT of dungeons to get them, in this case it helps that all dungeons are samey so you can quickly get to the chest

Another thing is the walking sim aspect. Moons usually had a great view and atmosphere (aesthetically) so just walking around on those planets was chill and something I hadn't experienced before.

If you get a rifle and fly to a spot with many aliens (and get disable combat music mod) you can just play it like a hunting sim.

With mods all of these aspects can be enhanced, as in themselves they are leaving a lot to be desired, but it is certainly fun for the first couple hundred hours.

That's true, Starfield is more sandbox and "make your own fun" than previous Bethesda titles.
My god youre still digging that hole? Call.us when you reach China.

Harthwain

Magister

I don't think they didn't do this because they didn't know how. Like taxalot said: it is more likely they wanted to have drugs, but felt like it would be too "controversial" to implement their negative effects. Why? There is a huge issue with some new drug in America currently, so I am guessing it's a sore subject and Bethesda decided to "dodge the bullet" by sterilizing the subject matter and reducing it to "Trust me bro, it's bad for you". It makes more sense to me (despite how stupid such approach is), than them just forgetting how to do drugs semi-competently. As you said yourself, they knew how to do that kind of stuff in Fallout 4.

Vic

Savant
"why you say this game is boring? when the astronauts went to space THEY weren't bored, so how come are you?"

6txw70w2v23c1.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom