Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Lemming42

Arcane
That astronaut quote was such bullshit, one of the most alarming pre-release soundbites. I would also not be bored if my car suddenly accelerated at infinite speed through the side of a mountain in real life but that doesn't stop Big Rigs Over The Road Racing from being boring shit.

Lemming42

Arcane
I like quite a bit of stuff in Starfield but I'm glad it's going to flop at the GOTY awards because Bethesda need to be shaken awake and realise that they can't get by on half-arsing everything on a shitty obsolete engine anymore. For all the good points Starfield has, it's absolutely unacceptable for a game that took over seven years and an unfathomable budget to make. Like what the fuck were they doing that whole time, there are maybe five questlines in the whole game and the worldspace is almost entirely empty. Oblivion was made in about five seconds and had 3x the content plus represented a significant leap forward in the Gamebryo engine compared to the MW version.

It's surreal that it's been 12 years since their last overwhelmingly well-received game. They manage to linger in popular culture solely based on the strength of a bygone era now, but they still act with the complacency of a company who assume that everything they make will be an automatic hit. Starfield could have been something far more than it is, and everything good about it could have been greatly amplified; that's the case for every Bethesda game of course, but with Starfield it's just missed opportunities all over the place, and doesn't even have the same ambition as their prior games (radiant NPC routines were an extraordinary thing to attempt even if in practice it leads to everyone in the world having autism, whereas the procgen planets are a lazy idea that they couldn't even be bothered to do anything with).

Or maybe whoever it was that was putting effort into their previous games has gone from the company now. Again, Adamowicz seems to have been a strong creative driving force.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Starfield could have been something far more than it is
I still think Starfield has the biggest modding potential out of all of their games. That's because there are so many systems in the game from typical RPG gameplay to space combat and crafting and base building. The fact that there is basically an unlimited amount of map space means you can load up a bunch of custom maps into your game. Custom ships, custom races and aliens... Am I the only one who sees this potential?

Lemming42

Arcane
I still think Starfield has the biggest modding potential out of all of their games. That's because there are so many systems in the game from typical RPG gameplay to space combat and crafting and base building. The fact that there is basically an unlimited amount of map space means you can load up a bunch of custom maps into your game. Custom ships, custom races and aliens... Am I the only one who sees this potential?
There's some potential but I can't really imagine where people would start. We could fill in stuff that seems to have been planned for the game but which Bethesda was too lazy to develop - make the Brig ship part actually do something by letting you send KO'd enemies there, for example, and make Unarmed actually work - but in terms of modding the planets I'm not sure what the point would be. The planets could be very slowly and painstakingly populated with Skyrim-tier dungeons which would be a big step up over the base game but still wouldn't surmount some of the core issues with Starfield.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were easy to mod because they offered outlines of good games which could be filled in with mods, whereas Starfield is just a sort of jumble of shit that's impossible to sort through, let alone build on. Like, with Morrowind you can say "the problem is boring quests, let's create some better ones", with Skyrim you can say "the problem is dull combat, let's make ways to spice it up", but with Starfield the problem is on the conceptual level and the best you can do is work within those confines.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Starfield could have been something far more than it is
I still think Starfield has the biggest modding potential out of all of their games.
Most likely, because almost everything in the base game is lazy, uninspired and requires dedicate modders to fix it.
That's because there are so many systems in the game from typical RPG gameplay to space combat and crafting and base building.
and the game doesn't even require the player to interact with most of them
The fact that there is basically an unlimited amount of map space means you can load up a bunch of custom maps into your game.
hurray I guess
Custom ships, custom races and aliens... Am I the only one who sees this potential?
So you mean Starfield is a glorified game editor, with a shitty campaign added to boast its capabilities, not unlike the first Neverwinter Nights?

It would be believable, if only Bethesda provided modding tools at Starfield release.

Vic

Savant
There's some potential but I can't really imagine where people would start. We could fill in stuff that seems to have been planned for the game but which Bethesda was too lazy to develop - make the Brig ship part actually do something by letting you send KO'd enemies there, for example, and make Unarmed actually work - but in terms of modding the planets I'm not sure what the point would be. The planets could be very slowly and painstakingly populated with Skyrim-tier dungeons which would be a big step up over the base game but still wouldn't surmount some of the core issues with Starfield.

Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim were easy to mod because they offered outlines of good games which could be filled in with mods, whereas Starfield is just a sort of jumble of shit that's impossible to sort through, let alone build on. Like, with Morrowind you can say "the problem is boring quests, let's create some better ones", with Skyrim you can say "the problem is dull combat, let's make ways to spice it up", but with Starfield the problem is on the conceptual level and the best you can do is work within those confines.
well I'll tell you under which circumstances I'd consider doing another playthrough:

- true survival mod like in FO4, where hunger matters, but now we have also all the other stuff like O2 and temperature to consider
- deadly combat
- much more varied loot

okay I'm too lazy to continue right now but these are mods that already exist for previous games, which would make another playthrough quite fun, especially with an "astronaut survival mode"

edit: a camping mod!!!

edit2: horror story mods involving abandoned space stations!!!

edit3: aliens!!!!!

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
"MODS WILL FIX IIIIIIT!"
LW5vLmdpZg.gif

Lemming42

Arcane
well I'll tell you under which circumstances I'd consider doing another playthrough:
Not bad ideas but it doesn't even lend itself to survival stuff in the way Fo3/NV or Skyrim does, since the player isn't really travelling through a hostile wilderness anymore and is instead constantly teleporting back to their comfy ship. People will try to recreate their favourite Skyrim mods for Starfield but I think, if it can be improved with mods at all, the whole thing needs a rethink. Rather than the Skyrim approach of "what can we add to make this more fun", it'll have to be "to what extent can we change the very core of this game".

The problem is that the crux of Starfield's issues is that there's not enough content to sustain even one playthrough. It needs like, double the questlines it currently has, and I dunno if mods can do that - I've played impressive quest mods like Legacy of the Dragonborn but I'm not sure if there's much point waiting years for people to come out with a quest pack that ultimately just extends a Starfield playthrough by 10 hours.

Vic

Savant
since the player isn't really travelling through a hostile wilderness anymore and is instead constantly teleporting back to their comfy ship.
that's one of the first things I'd address with a difficulty/survival mod, restrict how you can use your ship and fast travel. also fuel, hello?

Rhobar121

Scholar
If a game isn't popular, I don't see why anyone would waste hundreds of hours trying to fix it, especially for free.
What's the point of creating mods for Starfield instead of Skyrim which is currently more popular (at least on Steam).
If the core of the game is shit, why would you expect there to be an exceptionally large group of autistic people who care enough about the game to create content for it?

Vic

Savant
todd has now passed the torch to the modders, they will have to make his vision come alive, game is too good to be just left forgotten

it all depends on how good the modding tools will be, they're using a new iteration of their engine for starfield, but still
If a game isn't popular, I don't see why anyone would waste hundreds of hours trying to fix it, especially for free.
you must be new to Bethesda land.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
that's one of the first things I'd address with a difficulty/survival mod, restrict how you can use your ship and fast travel. also fuel, hello?
and most likely you'll need to personally carry the fuel to your ship, just like the ship parts you purchase.

hurray, more busywork and further heavy objects to carry within your tiny weight limit!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
todd has now passed the torch to the modders, they will have to make his vision come alive, game is too good to be just left forgotten
Todd: now fix my game for free, so I may sell more copies! Oh, and do it without the dedicated modding tools!

Modders: fuck you, we'd rather return to Skyrim.

*sad trumpet playing in the background*

Vic

Savant
Todd: now fix my game for free, so I may sell more copies! Oh, and do it without the dedicated modding tools!

Modders: fuck you, we'd rather return to Skyrim.

*sad trumpet playing in the background*
Web-capture-30-11-2023-174726-www-nexusmods-com.jpg

Web-capture-30-11-2023-174839-www-nexusmods-com.jpg

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What's the point of creating mods for Starfield instead of Skyrim which is currently more popular (at least on Steam).
different genres?
action rpg -> action rpg
different combat?
melee combat is inferior to Skyrim's
better graphics?
characters look even more terrible, very uncanny valley style
newer engine?
That cannot even support Neon City without most shops relegated to different cells,lol. Morrowind could support larger inside areas (not to mention most cities were part of the worldspace).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom